Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:47:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Hunger Games 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Hunger Games  (Read 44030 times)
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #175 on: August 09, 2013, 09:15:55 AM

It does make me curious about what was happening.  Everyone else seems to be either shocked, annoyed, or freaked out about whatever is going on.  I only watched this gif about forty or fifty times before noticing it, but it's there!

We saw your boobs!
Just a further side note to that gif and the McFarlane song, the Jennifer Lawrence reaction (and the other actresses) were recorded specifically for the Oscar telecast or taken from other award reaction shots. Also the bit was supposedly cleared with most of those mentioned beforehand.

On Hunger Games news, the second movie is supposed to have nudity (although I still have doubts >hint PG13) but it's going to be Jena Malone and not Jennifer Lawrence.

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #176 on: November 23, 2013, 06:29:05 PM

Saw the new sequel today.  A little better than the first but I still don't see what the big deal is about this series.  Also, why are all those black folks in the same agricultural district?  In the future, have they all been reduced to being sharecroppers?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 01:06:17 AM by Ginaz »
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #177 on: November 23, 2013, 06:32:33 PM

Saw the new sequel today.  A little better than the first but I still don't see what the big deal is about this series.  Also, why are all those black folks in the same agricultural district?  In the future, having they all been reduced to being sharecroppers?

How many fascist post-apocalyptic governments do you know that are also racially sensitive?

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #178 on: November 23, 2013, 07:31:58 PM

Ya, thought having all the black folks in the "cotton picking district" was a bit on the nose, but overall I enjoyed it. I think the stuff in the arena is the least interesting part of the whole thing.   

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #179 on: November 26, 2013, 09:02:20 AM

Some thoughts....

As others have said, Lawrence, and pretty much the whole cast, are great.

But this film badly needs about 30 minutes off the running time, mostly from the arena section. The interminable period between meeting the guy with the obvious solution and Katniss working out what to do was fucking painful. Espeicially given the 'Bond meets Q' scene earlier in the film.

Still found it difficult to accept the premise of the games. Given how much time Snow gets as some Machiavellian super politician, his plans are fucking stupid. PSH's plans are also stupid, and the film is flabby enough that you have time to realise how stupid along the way. Editing could have fixed this.

Anyway, aside from the editing, pretty good, and better than the first one. I came out of HG1 rooting for president Snow.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 09:21:54 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: November 26, 2013, 09:44:23 AM

Snow's plans may be written badly in the script but damn Sutherland can be menacing.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: November 26, 2013, 09:48:46 AM

Snow's plans may be written badly in the script but damn Sutherland can be menacing.
Really?  I never find him menacing.  He just looks perpetually frustrated to me. 

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #182 on: November 26, 2013, 11:51:52 AM

In the first movie he came across to me as pretty smart, and frustrated that the people around him were fucking idiots.

This time he did menacing well enough with Katniss, and managed to sound smart while proposing something idiotic.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #183 on: December 02, 2013, 12:35:48 PM

I haven't read the books so the ending was a small surprise, though they telegraphed something was going on.  I feel like the book must have had more from other perspectives, though.  Of course, that would have dragged the movie down.  And just as I thought PSH was a good guy, he spins the water wheel thing which seemed really risky given the eventual reveal.

Tempted again to read the books but I am sure that will pass again.

I have never played WoW.
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #184 on: December 02, 2013, 01:54:09 PM

I feel like the book must have had more from other perspectives, though. 

All three books are written entirely from the perspective of Katniss.  The third book in particular is a muddled mess because of it.

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: December 02, 2013, 01:57:28 PM

Funny enough my friend who has read the books said the PSH part at the party was way more telegraphed in the books.  Crazy because I thought the movie was pretty heavy handed about it.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: December 02, 2013, 04:21:10 PM

In the movie it was heavy handed only because PSH chose to chew scenery, for a hack author to do that in a novel needed more lines.

Spinning the wheel was a daft risk, but only 1% as daft as putting her in there in the first place, where even with 60% of the tributes on her side, the odds were against her survival. Given the reveal, engineering a revolution on the tour would have been the logical approach. The plot doesn't stand scrutiny, other stuff about the film is pretty good, but the plot makes no sense whatsoever.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #187 on: December 02, 2013, 04:54:49 PM

Though I think the 3rd book is a mess, I always assumed that

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: December 02, 2013, 06:36:21 PM

I didn't watch the first movie, but did read the first book way after the fact. And I didn't read book 2 and 3 but I wiki'ed and plan to see the last two movies because the girlfriend likes this series. Personally after watching my first hunger games movie and having a pretty good idea where the third film is going....

This is literally a middle of the road film. Nothing I really liked. Nothing I really hated. I came out nodding. I'm not looking forward to the third one but will end up watching it anyway....
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #189 on: December 02, 2013, 06:54:55 PM

Actually 2 more. They broke up the 3rd book into two movies.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #190 on: December 02, 2013, 06:58:22 PM

That seems to be the standard play these days. See Harry Potter and Twilight.

Hic sunt dracones.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: December 02, 2013, 07:01:56 PM

My suffering will be immense....
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #192 on: December 02, 2013, 07:56:11 PM

The the last third of the third book is an author in over their head and under a deadline cranking out crap.  If they split the last book in half, that means the third movie will have a great buildup, and then the fourth will just *suck*.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #193 on: December 03, 2013, 03:03:37 AM

There is at least one event late in the 3rd book that I thought was really ballsy that makes Katniss' character work really well, but if it gets drawn out as a plot element, it's going to suck big time.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #194 on: December 03, 2013, 06:03:53 AM

Since even the most hardcore fans of the books say the third is by far the weakest, I can't imagine the movies not getting a bit of a re-write when it comes down to those parts.

DevilsAdvocate25
Terracotta Army

Reply #195 on: December 03, 2013, 04:11:54 PM

I suspect they say it is the weakest because they didn't like the ending. The particular message of the series is not something violence loving Americans want to hear.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #196 on: December 04, 2013, 02:51:18 AM

I don't think it's the ending, at least not all of it. The plot is just a mess.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #197 on: December 04, 2013, 07:45:46 AM

I suspect they say it is the weakest because they didn't like the ending. The particular message of the series is not something violence loving Americans want to hear.

It's just an awful book and completely falls apart about half way through.  Has nothing to do with the message.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #198 on: December 05, 2013, 05:48:39 AM

It reads like a first draft. It has a lot of stuff that seems to go nowhere in particular and it overall feels rough and disjointed.

I actually quite like the ending.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #199 on: December 05, 2013, 07:11:20 AM

It's just an awful book and completely falls apart about half way through.  Has nothing to do with the message.

Why doesn't the author just re-write the shit?  The publisher could re-sell the new edition.  Fans would appreciate it.  Why the hell not?

I have never played WoW.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #200 on: December 05, 2013, 09:13:37 AM

Fans would appreciate it? Yeah, the rabid fanbase who might consider buying another edition usually respond real well to editing of the canon.

While they are at it, the publishers should get a rewrite done on the Two Towers, maybe give George Lucas another go at Empire Strikes Back.

DevilsAdvocate25
Terracotta Army

Reply #201 on: December 06, 2013, 04:27:58 PM

Fans would appreciate it? Yeah, the rabid fanbase who might consider buying another edition usually respond real well to editing of the canon.

While they are at it, the publishers should get a rewrite done on the Two Towers, maybe give George Lucas another go at Empire Strikes Back.

Maybe let Han shoot first or have a CGI Jabba the Hutt...
WayAbvPar

Reply #202 on: December 07, 2013, 12:10:01 PM

Saw this last night, really enjoyed it. It did go a bit longer than I expected, but was reasonably satisfied with the ending. Glad PSH was a good guy, since I have a hetero mancrush on him  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #203 on: December 09, 2013, 08:18:08 AM

Saw this last night, really enjoyed it. It did go a bit longer than I expected, but was reasonably satisfied with the ending. Glad PSH was a good guy, since I have a hetero mancrush on him  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbDcnUH6rOc

"I just sharted.  I tried to fart and shit came out."

I have never played WoW.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Hunger Games  
Jump to: