Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:27:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Hunger Games 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Hunger Games  (Read 44026 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #140 on: August 01, 2013, 01:56:59 PM

I, for one, enjoyed the movie far more than the book. The writing style (yes, I realize the intended audience is young adult) way too sophomoric and riddled with numerous plot absurdities.

I read all the books. The style grated on me the whole way as well. The second book in particular might as well not exist. As much as people didn't like 3 for going completely off the rails, two just seemed like a complete do over of book 1.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: August 01, 2013, 02:04:52 PM

It felt to me like Jennifer Lawrence was asked to remain relatively emotionless so that they could add narration and use the Kuleshov_Effect to make her look brilliant... and then somebody vetoed the narration at the last moment and they didn't have time to re-edit her scenes other than by cutting them. Most of the time she comes off as bored or slightly pissed rather than afraid, determined, or deeply moved. It's very hard to connect with her as a character.

Also the ending was terrible. Sure, the undead human/dog hybrids from the book are probably unfilmable... so better to cut them entirely than to make weird unexplained CG dogs. A simple confrontation with established characters would have had a lot more narrative weight.

The book is over-rated too, but at least it has a running inner monologue to make Katniss sympathetic.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: August 01, 2013, 03:45:02 PM

Basically, the "children fight each other" theme is mostly a question of what you are trying to say either about: a) human beings or b) the society that supports children fighting each other.

In Lord of the Flies, since there isn't a society that is egging kids on, the statement is about human beings in general: that they will fight each other even as children if there are no rules. Basically Hobbes.

In Battle Royale, it's about "what if Japan gave into its fascistic tendencies?"

In Hunger Games, it's "This is where American society and its class politics is heading".

In part if you like any or all of these, it's because you find the message or argument at least interesting or valid and maybe think it's sharpened by presentation in a format where you feel a certain voyeuristic thrill in the narrative action of the combat or struggle even when you think you shouldn't.
schild
Administrator

Reply #143 on: August 01, 2013, 03:48:03 PM

Jennifer Lawrence didn't even look good in Hunger Games :( I had forgotten she was in it by the time I saw Silver Linings Playbook and she had become America's new Sweetheart.
WayAbvPar

Reply #144 on: August 01, 2013, 03:54:41 PM

Jennifer Lawrence didn't even look good in Hunger Games :( I had forgotten she was in it by the time I saw Silver Linings Playbook and she had become America's new Sweetheart.

She has a very unique facial bone structure which wasn't complemented by the super tight camera angles the director was partial to using. She is stealthily busty, so that made up for much of it  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #145 on: August 01, 2013, 05:47:32 PM

She is stealthily busty

Ain't that the truth.

I have never played WoW.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: August 01, 2013, 07:05:29 PM

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: August 02, 2013, 06:08:02 AM

~/ My eyes have seen the glory /~

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #148 on: August 02, 2013, 06:16:58 AM

Biggest problem I had with the movie was the casting on the male lead. I'm pretty sure we were supposed to believe that she fell for him during the course of events, but I couldn't get over the fact that he came across as a whiny douche with a Justin Bieber haircut. If the audience doesn't buy the romance between your leads, your movie has a problem.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #149 on: August 02, 2013, 06:41:54 AM

Biggest problem I had with the movie was the casting on the male lead. I'm pretty sure we were supposed to believe that she fell for him during the course of events, but I couldn't get over the fact that he came across as a whiny douche with a Justin Bieber haircut. If the audience doesn't buy the romance between your leads, your movie has a problem.

To be fair, I barely bought the romance in the book either. It was pretty ham-fisted.

Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: August 02, 2013, 06:46:52 AM

To continue to be fair, there wasn't meant to be any real romance in the books.  That was part of the 'conflict.'

Even by the end of the last book,

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: August 02, 2013, 07:22:02 AM

Love the books, loved the movie, can't wait for the next one. I love YA and NA in general though, particularly angsty first person stuff.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: August 02, 2013, 07:27:37 AM

I thought we were supposed to believe she pretended to fall for him in order to get the audience onside, but secretly has the hots for that jerk she was hanging with at the start.

I guess the problem is terrible acting competing with terrible plotting. Oh well.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #153 on: August 02, 2013, 08:08:44 AM

I thought we were supposed to believe she pretended to fall for him in order to get the audience onside, but secretly has the hots for that jerk she was hanging with at the start.

I guess the problem is terrible acting competing with terrible plotting. Oh well.

Yeah....this.  I think they come out and literally say that she has no real feelings of romance for blondie at all aside from on camera stuff.  There are a couple scenes after the games end that demonstrate this as well.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
WayAbvPar

Reply #154 on: August 02, 2013, 09:35:38 AM

Well now, that is no longer stealthy.

I just wanted to post that pic again. WOW.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #155 on: August 02, 2013, 10:00:20 AM

THEY'RE COMING RIGHT FOR US!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: August 02, 2013, 11:37:00 AM

It felt to me like Jennifer Lawrence was asked to remain relatively emotionless so that they could add narration and use the Kuleshov_Effect to make her look brilliant... and then somebody vetoed the narration at the last moment and they didn't have time to re-edit her scenes other than by cutting them. Most of the time she comes off as bored or slightly pissed rather than afraid, determined, or deeply moved. It's very hard to connect with her as a character.

Also the ending was terrible. Sure, the undead human/dog hybrids from the book are probably unfilmable... so better to cut them entirely than to make weird unexplained CG dogs. A simple confrontation with established characters would have had a lot more narrative weight.

The book is over-rated too, but at least it has a running inner monologue to make Katniss sympathetic.

I rather like a more stoic performance. It's certainly part of my problem with the new Star Trek movies, where Spock is a Vulcan supressing his emotions except when he's FREAKING THE FUCK OUT! Which he seems to manage at least once per movie to let us know he's simmering with logical angst.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #157 on: August 02, 2013, 02:30:50 PM

Everything Wrong With The Hunger Games In 3 Minutes Or Less

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pn0LXWaPxnQ

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #158 on: August 05, 2013, 10:27:32 AM

I have never played WoW.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #159 on: August 05, 2013, 10:50:02 AM

That's not your pen....

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: August 05, 2013, 10:52:57 AM

Amazing how talent and a great body can overcome an average face.

Is this movie out on video now?  I've never seen it.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: August 05, 2013, 11:35:46 AM

Is this movie out on video now?

Get off my lawn!

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
WayAbvPar

Reply #162 on: August 05, 2013, 11:40:40 AM

Amazing how talent and a great body can overcome an average face.

Is this movie out on video now?  I've never seen it.

Should be. It is streaming on Netflix, which generally means it is available on physical media. I would imagine it would be hitting the pay cable channels sometime soon as well.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: August 05, 2013, 11:51:22 AM

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #164 on: August 05, 2013, 11:55:23 AM

I laughed.  Jerks.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #165 on: August 05, 2013, 12:33:11 PM

Hey, I knew exactly what you meant and didn't even think about it.

Soooo old.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #166 on: August 05, 2013, 03:16:59 PM

At least he didn't say "VHS" like some folks I know still do.

Then again I know guys who didn't own DVD players until 3 years ago. Kentucky is weird.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #167 on: August 05, 2013, 03:49:56 PM

At least he didn't say "VHS" like some folks I know still do.

Then again I know guys who didn't own DVD players until 3 years ago. Kentucky is weird.
My mother skipped DVD completely, she got by with her VHS until my daughter moved in with her and brought her media player.  She was surprised to find out there were about a hundred movies and a couple of hundred TV episodes in a box the size of a hardcover book (my daughter got my old media player from a few years back, half a terabyte but a fairly large case).

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #168 on: August 05, 2013, 05:22:39 PM

Less nerd talk more pics of Jennifer Lawrence.   awesome, for real

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #169 on: August 08, 2013, 10:25:04 PM

I love the expressions of the people around her, especially whoever that is sitting beside her.

Hic sunt dracones.
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #170 on: August 09, 2013, 05:37:32 AM

It does make me curious about what was happening.  Everyone else seems to be either shocked, annoyed, or freaked out about whatever is going on.  I only watched this gif about forty or fifty times before noticing it, but it's there!

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #171 on: August 09, 2013, 08:27:33 AM

It does make me curious about what was happening.  Everyone else seems to be either shocked, annoyed, or freaked out about whatever is going on.  I only watched this gif about forty or fifty times before noticing it, but it's there!

We saw your boobs!
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #172 on: August 09, 2013, 08:31:47 AM

BWAHAHAHAHA, that makes the gif even better.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #173 on: August 09, 2013, 08:39:51 AM

You all are going to laugh at me, but I never new Seth voiced so many of his characters.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #174 on: August 09, 2013, 08:43:31 AM

You all are going to laugh at me, but I never new Seth voiced so many of his characters.

Although he can be kinda lazy about his jokes and gags in Family Guy, that man is pretty damn talented.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Hunger Games  
Jump to: