Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:15:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Blood Bowl Bullshit  |  Topic: S#5 - Game Day #1 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: S#5 - Game Day #1  (Read 29282 times)
Ice Cream Emperor
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: October 06, 2011, 03:41:13 PM

Cloudpunks tie the Minizilla's 1-1.

This was a weird game, where everyone took turns getting alternately lucky and unlucky in fairly even measure -- but overall I got a lot luckier (and Ulysees got a lot unluckier) when it mattered most, allowing me to salvage an unlikely tie. I started on offense and sent my catcher and wardancer downfield as receivers -- only to have the wardancer badly hurt and the catcher KOed on two subsequent hits. Which were at that point the only two successful knockdowns the lizards had managed -- not boding well at all for my chances, since this left me to try and mount a successful running game with only 9 elves left on the field. This had predictable results, with many mostly-useless reverses eventually resulting in my running out of time on a crucial last-minute dodge and turning over the ball with half my remaining team committed to the opposite side of the field. At which point Ulysees immediately ran a skink forward to pick up the ball, failed, fumbled the ball out of bounds, and watched the crowd throw it completely across the field to where all my unmarked elves were still standing from the previous turn. Hardly one to turn down a gift from Nuffle, I picked it up, handed it off, and ran it in on the next turn for a 1-0 score.

This still gave the lizards three turns to score, however, and while my Wardancer was back (thanks to a turn 2 apothecary, which miraculously failed to come back to haunt me), my catcher remained KOed for the rest of the match. (I went 1/7 on KO recovery rolls, see: luck in all directions.) The kick-off was a quick-snap, which for reasons as-yet-unclear prompted Ulysees to move his Kroxigor back off the line to where the ball was going to land -- he promptly caught the ball, of course, which led to another one of those great unlucky-lucky moments, as his hand-off to a skink failed, only to have the ball bounce triangularly back towards the same skink, who caught it on the second try and thus avoided a turnover.

Meanwhile the lizards blitzed forward up one sideline to set up a skink in a sideline cage, while caging up the ball carrier near the line. I promptly smashed his sideline cage to bits, pinning the skink against the sideline, but leaving the rest of my line fairly thin -- resulting in a predictable blitz up the middle by the main cage, who set up with the ball in scoring position. However, the set-up was pretty squeezed-in, with several of the points of the cage up against my elves. Not only that, I had somehow managed to harbour my team's single reroll for the entire half. It was therefore a simple matter to mark up the remaining side of the cage and block my Wardancer free for a decisive defensive leap-and-smash on the skink with the ball. "Time to spend my reroll" I announced, since I figured between the leap and the block I might need it. And it's true, I did need it -- and another one, after the WD doubly-failed the leap, landing in a thankfully-uninjured pile of elf right next to the ball carrier.

This seemed rather unfair to me, especially since the lizards were practically guaranteed to score on the next turn -- except that Ulysees had already spend all his rerolls recovering from failed GFIs while on defense, and the last block necessary to give the skink a free path to the TD came up skulls, somehow preserving my undeserved lead into the second half.

The dice generally got more sensible in the second half, except that the lizards continued an above-average KO rate, which generally kept me fielding 8-9 elves at any time. However, this also meant that I escaped further casualties in the game, and meanwhile I did manage to break the collarbone on one of the side-stepping skinks. I pulled off a successful cage-leaping sack with my Wardancer early in the half, and most of the rest of the game was spent with both teams trying to get a clear chance to pick up the ball. Ulysees wisely spent his apothecary keeping his last conscious skink from getting KOed out of the game, and in the end a series of unlucky bounces (and arguably unwise ball-pushes) put the ball in the skink's hands for the late-game stall and score.

I had an outside chance of attempting a 1-turn TD, except that of course my Catcher was still KOed and my Wardancer had been re-KOed by that point, so I settled for some random blocking and my Thrower earned his very first SPP.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #36 on: October 06, 2011, 03:44:06 PM

Somebody win a game, sheesh!

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: October 06, 2011, 03:48:49 PM

MUST NOT LOSE
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: October 06, 2011, 03:59:28 PM

After reading Ulysees's match report I'm all out of breath. It was like reading the transcript of an AFL match!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 04:19:29 PM by Comstar »

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: October 06, 2011, 04:08:12 PM

After reading Ulysees's match report I'm all out of breath.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #40 on: October 06, 2011, 04:27:03 PM

Kail, I have a friend from Norway visiting right now, so I'm kind of busy every night through Saturday.  Sunday evening and after could work though.  Just PM me what times are best for you.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: October 06, 2011, 06:21:59 PM

Wow. Skaven v Skaven. Amazing first half!
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: October 06, 2011, 06:46:29 PM

Holy shit. Second half was the same.

I don't want to post the result, you should watch the replay.

Which Haem has put up on BB Manager.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 06:56:28 PM by lamaros »
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #43 on: October 06, 2011, 06:59:04 PM

What... a... fucking... game.

Rape of Skabine 3 - Zellar Dwellarz 2

Lamaros is right. Watch the replay. There is some CRAZY Skaven on Skaven action, especially in that first half. I started by injuring 3 of his guys, INCLUDING his Rat Ogre, KOed another and scored a touchdown on a couple of lucky bounces that should have had me lose the game. He scored in just as whacky a rat bastard fashion. My second TD came on a gutter runner to gutter runner long pass. His second game on the last play of the half with some crazy blocking on my Rat Ogre, a handoff and some skillful dodging. The last TD came late in the game thanks to one shadowing, blodging rat bastard gutter runner taking out my Stormvermin with the ball.

The injuries were almost even, except that I have a gutter runner missing a game with a -1 AV, my thrower is dead, my level 2 guarding stormvermin is dead and a useless linerat is dead. Oh and only 40k winnings so no replacements any time soon.

We may have fucked each other's seasons with the injuries, but WHAT A GAME.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: October 06, 2011, 07:02:43 PM

I will write up a report later on. Here's a small highlight:

I scored on the last turn of the first half after a riot gave me two runs at it, rather than one. With no rerolls I blocked his Rat Ogre with a linesman, which was a push. Then I dodged a GR from next to the RO to next to the RO (-2 from TZ and tail), then made a pass to another GR. Then ran and made a dodge to score.

This is reflective of the game in general. EVERYTHING that could have happened, happened (Haem rolled a 6 to dodge his RO, but by that time nothing was surprising anymore). Nuffle looked to have fucked me bad early on, then it decided to fuck Haem instead. Then it went back to me. Then to him. Then to me. Then, when all was finally sorted and I was in control, it decided to KILL Haem's thrower and blitzer.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 07:08:27 PM by lamaros »
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: October 06, 2011, 07:21:19 PM

Yet the spectators only gave it an 18/20.  WHAT MORE DO THEY WANT?
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: October 06, 2011, 07:51:39 PM

Beardstorm! 2 - f13 Catfighters 0

It went pretty much how you were all predicting - injured/stunned/KOed Amazons hitting the floor right and left. I kicked off, eventually wrestled the ball away for a turn 8 score, then after a long drive and some loose ball shenanigans managed to get in again on turn 13 for a 2nd score. The ensuing kickoff wasted a turn, then Comstar's passer fumbled the first pickup, and that was that. No permanent damage done to either side, and I leveled a blitzer and my deathroller.

My instinct is that the one-die blocks that were thrown in the game were definitely skewed towards me for results - Comstar skull-reroll-skulled them at least twice.

Thanks to Comstar for submitting the match, as my PC died (again ><) and I am playing from my laptop with no clue what my BBM password is.

A couple other random thoughts:

- Kick-off return has been outstanding, it has really helped with my weakness against deep kicks. Well worth it.
- Good LORD Comstar has a lot of guard. I'm glad I didn't see him til this season.
- I had one turn where I stunned 5 amazons in a row.  evil
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 08:13:03 PM by Ingmar »

Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: October 06, 2011, 07:53:41 PM

My prediction was wrong on both counts.

Dwarves 2 Amazons 0, and only 4 badly hurts. A dwarf blitzer and the Deathroller both gain a skill.

The first half had Nuffle going for the Dwarves. Every single die block they made ended up with a knock down, every one the girls tried ended in skull and then skull again. A Dwarf Blitzer made an interception in a tacklezone and doomed my efforts at an early touchdown. I was able to sack the ball carrier, and had  slim chance at a 1-1 half, which failed when a ball carting Amazon fell over on a last dodge before a last ditch pass to the middle.

With only 7 girls on the pitch on the second half I was up against it, but leaving a hole in the middle allowed the possibility of the Dwarf back line being separated from the front. Sadly the Dwarf runner is too fast and just walked down into a 2nd cage. A cage I was able to break open with some fancy footwork, and had the ball dropped and covered by 3 Amazons. However, I ran out of players and the Dwarves scooped up the ball with ease. The second half ended the game for me when the ref moved the clock forward 3 turns before the end, and a failed Sure Hands pick up sealed my hope of getting a 2-1 score.

My season prediction has not changed - Ingmar to lead the group, followed by Carnifex. If this is how Nuffle treats my old girls, I'll see you in the failloffs.

F13 Catfighters | 0 - 2 | Beardstorm!

I can only hope with a level 3 Deathroller the Dwarves kill the other teams. Death to all Supecaps Dwarves.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 08:05:54 PM by Comstar »

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #48 on: October 06, 2011, 08:23:29 PM

A Dwarf Blitzer made an interception in a tacklezone and doomed my efforts at an early touchdown.

Forget elf bullshit, dwarf bullshit is where it's at.

God Save the Horn Players
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: October 06, 2011, 08:26:47 PM

Here's the match report for those who don't want to watch the game. It is pretty simple, so I might try and make it a bit more entertaining later:

« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 09:02:03 PM by lamaros »
Ice Cream Emperor
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: October 06, 2011, 10:20:00 PM

I don't want to post the result, you should watch the replay.

I started to do so, then I remembered that watching same-race replays is absolutely, mind-bogglingly retarded. Stupid ol' Cyanide.  Heartbreak
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #51 on: October 06, 2011, 10:20:50 PM

What happens with same-race replays? I'm not nearly dorky enough to watch replays, m'self.

God Save the Horn Players
Ice Cream Emperor
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: October 06, 2011, 10:26:49 PM

You just can't tell who is on which team, ever. It's marginally better for some races and some colour combinations, but even like, neon green Chaos vs. hot pink Chaos is basically way more trouble than it's worth.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 01:28:40 AM by Ice Cream Emperor »
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: October 06, 2011, 10:54:06 PM

Yeah it's a bit stupid. I watched it through myself quickly to write the report, and I often had to click on players to make sure who was who. And that's having been one of the teams!
avaia
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: October 07, 2011, 03:29:53 PM

Andy danced his way all around me en route to a 4-0 victory.  1 cas for each side, I think my rotter had a fractured skull while he had a BH.  Block beast missed a prime opportunity to take out the dirty witch elf early and Papa Nurgle only got more disappointed after that.

It could've been worse for both sides, instead of just being embarrassing from a score perspective.  this guy looks legit
AndyDavo
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: October 07, 2011, 03:35:28 PM

I got rather lucky with the cas dice in game day 1 - something i  have not said on here for quite some time. Next up for him is ogres, so he won't be worrying about anything dancing anywhere. While i have Heam's damaged rats.

Falc can we get some games validated please? It would be rather nice to see how day 1 is playing out.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #56 on: October 07, 2011, 04:53:15 PM

A flurry of validations occurred!

Llyse
Terracotta Army

Calvin and Hobbes are back to maul the fuck outta you.

Reply #57 on: October 07, 2011, 05:07:36 PM

Sounds good to me as long as the fiancee doesn't object between now and then.  If that happens I'll let you know, or try to.

Get back online on Steam before I play my HH game with Proudft!
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: October 07, 2011, 05:24:59 PM

Now my deathroller has multiple block, ho ho ho

Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #59 on: October 07, 2011, 05:32:43 PM

Sounds good to me as long as the fiancee doesn't object between now and then.  If that happens I'll let you know, or try to.

Get back online on Steam before I play my HH game with Proudft!

I came back but now you're away!  I'm about to eat dinner, briefly, but will return again.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: October 07, 2011, 05:37:10 PM

I couldnt connect to my oppponent agai9n today. inyone have a link to those opening ports artikles? damn cyanide...

Hic sunt dracones.
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Calvin and Hobbes are back to maul the fuck outta you.

Reply #61 on: October 07, 2011, 09:12:27 PM

Sadly me and Ruvaldt had the same problems as SirT, hopefully one of us will sort out the connection problems before the weekend.  Heartbreak
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: October 08, 2011, 12:48:58 AM

Falconner, I suggest you put this as a spoiler in the thread if it's not already there
-----------

Note: EVEN IF YOU HAVE PLAYED 1000'S OF GAMES IN THE PUBLIC LEAGUES, THAT MEANS NOTHING. WHEN PLAYING IN PRIVATE LEAGUES YOU MUST OPEN YOUR PORTS. FAILURE TO OPEN YOUR PORTS WILL RESULT IN FAILURE.

EVERYONE should do this. In theory if one person does it may work, but sometimes it still won't. In practice BOTH people need to do it. Step 1 is the big one, and fixes most people's problems.

The good news is, once done I've found the multiplayer game very reliable and since I've done is back at the start of season 2, have never had a problem.

1- Ports not forwarded to a static IP address. This would prevent you from connecting at all rather than making recurring disconnect happen mid game. Nevertheless it is worth to give it a check just in case. Some routers do not require any forwarding at all while others need this bit of tweaking to allow the game play properly. Double check that your ports are correctly forwarded just in case:
Port UDP 9103
Port TCP/UDP 16962

There are several ways to open your ports or to check they are open, but the following two sites are quite popular for help:
a) http://www.portforward.com : this one is a classic, it explains how to creat static IP addresses and gives instructions step by step on how to forward ports in your router, it has an extensive library with (almost) any router.
B) http://www.simpleportforwarding.com/download : this one I think is even better as it has a great application that does all for you. Its FAQ is also quite detailed and the admin, Shane, is lightning fast in responding to questions or issues using his application. EDIT: this tool has been updated and now you need to pay a fee to access the full functionality.

Note: Some routers may not need a static IP address as they already recognize each PC (or rather their network name) connected to the network. In those cases port forwarding has to be referenced to a specific PC name that shows in the available list at your router port managing menu.

2- Your router may be one of the ones that seem to be NOT quite compatible with Bloodbowl, see following threads for more info. In essence Bloodbowl data transmission code seems unable to handle certain router models and makes them disconnect randomly.
http://www.cyanide-studio.com/forumBB/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=14707
http://www.cyanide-studio.com/forumBB/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=14131

Some have attributed this instability of the game to the fact its data transmission system is based on UDP packages which allegedely are more prone to router issues.

Try for example connecting your ISP modem directly to your PC without the wireless router (if you have one) involved. See if you still have disconnects. If you dont then this isolates the problem to how the game interacts with your router.

3- You are maybe playing with a 2 screen set up and have pop up events in one making Bloodbowl disconnect/crash. See this thread:
http://www.cyanide-studio.com/forumBB/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=15495

4- Sync errors related to the animations while playing. Some disconnects have also been reported due to different animation options selected by each player. See post number 7 on page 6 of the following thread:
http://www.cyanide-studio.com/forumBB/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=14131&start=50

5- Also connection issues related to antivirus preventing bloodbowl exchanging data. Make sure your antivirus is set up to allow Bloodbowl through. This would prevent the game from connecting altogether so not sure this may be your problem.

6- BT Home Hub 2 in particular seems to have its share of issues but here a fix was confirmed to work for it: http://www.cyanide-studio.com/forumBB/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=25385&start=20

Again, make 100% sure nothing has changed in your system. If everything worked fine earlier but not anymore, chances are that something has changed albeit small. Maybe your ISP has introduced some changes in your line, maybe you have changed router, or its set up for portforwarding, or even its actual position.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 12:52:18 AM by Comstar »

Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #63 on: October 08, 2011, 08:49:09 AM

Yeah, I was trying to play through a router that isn't mine and Llyse was trying to play through a similarly limited internet source.  We'll get it sorted out one way or another; I'm badgering my new roommate for router username/password today.  Only the challenger needs open ports, thankfully.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Ulysees
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: October 08, 2011, 09:02:57 AM

Having watched that hot rat on rat action I have to say I wish there were more matches with same races that were as entertaining. Based on my experience playing Drogg I am not looking forward to facing Ginaz when that match roles round. Those 2 deaths in the last few turns of the match were real bitches, I feel for you Haem but you made a much more skilled team really work for that win, well played both.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #65 on: October 08, 2011, 09:27:07 AM

2-0 Carnifex in my first match. He killed Timmah! Other than that, it was fairly ho-hum.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
carnifex27
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: October 08, 2011, 09:36:51 AM

Wasn't a particularly exciting match at all.  Both our teams spent a lot of time on the pitch, but we only got 1 causualty each.  My badly hurt skink and his dead beastman.  All in all, Paelos played a very good game, other than not taking low risk moves first all the time.  There were a few times he didn't stand all of his downed players up before taking riskier moves, and he made a lot more 1-die blocks w/o reroll than I would have been comfortable with.  Other than that he was a very solid coach, though I question his decision to have 6 rerolls.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #67 on: October 08, 2011, 10:04:40 AM

If you don't have much block it does make sense for a Chaos team to stack up a lot of rerolls.  Six might be excessive, but not by much.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #68 on: October 08, 2011, 11:54:51 AM

After tweaking my Skaven team, I see that AndyDavo will have about a 1000 TV advantage over me in our next game. I look forward to seeing what inducements I can get out of that.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #69 on: October 08, 2011, 12:54:33 PM

Wasn't a particularly exciting match at all.  Both our teams spent a lot of time on the pitch, but we only got 1 causualty each.  My badly hurt skink and his dead beastman.  All in all, Paelos played a very good game, other than not taking low risk moves first all the time.  There were a few times he didn't stand all of his downed players up before taking riskier moves, and he made a lot more 1-die blocks w/o reroll than I would have been comfortable with.  Other than that he was a very solid coach, though I question his decision to have 6 rerolls.

I was afraid if I stook up my beastman with hands when the game was out of reach, he'd take a bad injury. It was a simple "play for next week" strategy.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Blood Bowl Bullshit  |  Topic: S#5 - Game Day #1  
Jump to: