Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:07:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  League of Legends  |  Topic: LoL Stories, Share your good and bad here. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 43 Go Down Print
Author Topic: LoL Stories, Share your good and bad here.  (Read 356823 times)
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #1050 on: December 31, 2012, 09:13:25 AM

About raising ELO, I got to 1500 by mastering jungle Udyr. I would usually run support otherwise, or a rare top. Most people play the crap out of solo top, ADC, or mid...so being good at jungle or support can really help your team...and you don't get stuck with horrible ones of either.

Any tips for jungling?  I completely suck at it.  I can generally manage to not die to jungle creeps ( Ohhhhh, I see. ) but whenever I leave the woods, I feel useless.  When to gank, how to gank, these things are a mystery to me.  Generally I run in and stun the guy and he flashes away, or sees me coming from wards and backs off before I can get in.  I guess burning flash is considered a victory to some degree, but I always feel like a third wheel until we start roaming.

I grabbed Rengar since I heard he was OP in the jungle a while back, but I guess he's been nerfed repeatedly since then, and now I can barely clear two or three camps without having to b.  Outside of the jungle, he seems even worse.  His Q is ok, but nothing groundbreaking, his W is useless except for the 10% heal when it's empowered which gives him decent sustain but not much for teamfights, and his E is an almost unnoticeably weak slow with an extremely short range unless it's empowered, in which case it's just a decent snare.  His ult baffles me, I can kind of see where it would be useful, but since it's his only gap closer and his only escape tool and it's on a long ass cooldown I'm always waffling about when to use it.

I haven't played since season 2, so I'm not sure what all has changed. In general, know the proper routes for your jungle and correct builds. When attempting ganks, don't be afraid to flash offensively. But If they insta burn their flash as you come out of the bush, don't follow them. Do a quick lap and come back around for the kill. Know the abilities of the lane you are ganking. Ganking with a Taric support on your side can make things a lot easier. Ping before coming in for gankin, I usually do a couple times as I am doing the camp before the gank. Make sure your buddy has enough mana to help. I have made plenty of failed gank attempts purely due to me not checking my own guy's status. Sometimes I'll tell people at the start of the match "Hey, I usually gank after red...just an FYI." - also if your people are pushing lanes too hard, tell them to please let the creeps push out. That way, when they inevitably blame you for not ganking enough you will have the self gratification that you at least told the idiot to stop pushing.

Be comfortable with your champ. Know the limits of your turret diving. Pick on those that lack escapes...relentlessly. Grab a ward or two, your lane mates might thank you for it. Don't be afraid to ward the enemy's buffs. If you know a guy likes warding, fuck with him and place a vision ward - kill his ward - and leave for a lap.

Some of the more advanced techniques deal with counterjungling, and knowing opposing junglers routes and when to expect their gank. Some fuckers are like clockwork, and you can really ruin their day.

Also, watch a good jungler's stream. Snoopeh was a badass that I learned some shit from.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 09:17:48 AM by Slayerik »

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #1051 on: December 31, 2012, 01:11:28 PM

Why do people have to be such massive dicks in this game?  

One of the things that sets MOBA apart from other genres is that when you play bad you don't just hurt yourself or even your team (like say in a normal team based game) you actively help the opposing team.  So, you really can be in a position where your teammates totally hose you.  Combine it with the fact that people like team games in the first place because they can deflect blame for losses, and its a recipe for exactly what we see in pretty much every game in this genre.

I think a big part of it is the snowball-y nature of the game, too.  People have a natural tendency to attribute their successes to themselves and their failures to other people, and in this game, your failures are massive failures and your successes are hilariously one sided stomps.

Like, if someone has a really good game and goes 20/0, they go "hey, I'm so much awesomer than all the noobs in this bracket" even though he only got that fed because of a few small mistakes early on that snowballed.  Then the next game, he goes 0/10, and he knows he's basically as good as he was in the last game, it's just the other people who changed, so it must be their fault that he's not doing as well as he was last game.

Also, watch a good jungler's stream. Snoopeh was a badass that I learned some shit from.

Ah, thanks, I'll check it out.  I just saw a stream yesterday where I think it was scarra who soloed Dragon at lv.7 as Shaco, which I wasn't even aware was possible.

Part of the problem is that I think there were a lot of changes to the jungle in season 3, and a lot of the info I'm using for jungling (champion spotlights, guides, wikis, etc.) are from season 2 and don't really apply anymore.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 01:24:41 PM by Kail »
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1052 on: December 31, 2012, 01:53:24 PM

If you want to catch jungler streams, there's a few that are good.  Stvicious, Chauster (mostly fucks around and duos with his GF, so, he may be useless) and Snoopeh are likely on own3d.tv while TheOddOne (explains a lot of what he's doing) and Crumbz are on twitch.tv.  Scarra is typically a midlaner, except when he plays his smurf (priscient).

Had a complete opposite game last night.  Made a few early mistakes but the team was uninterested in shitting on each other and instead helped.  "We needed your damage last fight" is a lot better than, "quit split pushing, you fucking faggot noob".  "Top needs help" is typically better than "lol our top is getting stomped".  "Would you like to switch" is a bit better than "let me mid, ffs, u suck".   Panth is kind of rough for Kayle, but we picked two champs that could mid or top, so we had a lot of flexibility.  Also helps when your Hecarim is a monster.

-Rasix
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1053 on: December 31, 2012, 04:48:12 PM

I know I'm breaking some kind of cardinal rule, but I'm finding that running Yorick in the mid lane is working far better than trying to do the top thing.  I've gotten all kinds of flack for it because I'm not "keeping up with the Meta", but when they see me holding mid without issue and then as a tanky beast in the mid/late game, they have no words. awesome, for real

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1054 on: December 31, 2012, 08:11:31 PM

I can see Yorick holding mid lane. He's certainly got the sustain. The thing I'd worry about with him is late game not doing the AP damage that most people don't have enough resists against.

I've tried out Maokai jungling lately and the season 3 changes really seem to help him. With hunter's machete building into the eldar lizard thing, he's got a decent amount of sustain and damage, plus lots of CC and utility. The only problem is that my teammates really don't fucking seem to know how to work with him. When I'm ulting, SIT IN THE CIRCLE JERKOFF. Oh and hit the goddamn ADC or APC first, not the goddamn tank. Fucktards.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1055 on: December 31, 2012, 09:13:48 PM

Yorick mid with vlad top could work well.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #1056 on: January 01, 2013, 04:52:39 AM

I know I'm breaking some kind of cardinal rule, but I'm finding that running Yorick in the mid lane is working far better than trying to do the top thing.  I've gotten all kinds of flack for it because I'm not "keeping up with the Meta", but when they see me holding mid without issue and then as a tanky beast in the mid/late game, they have no words. awesome, for real
Actually, they're the ones not keeping up with the meta. There are a lot of top lane champions doing well in mid lane now with the new "AD caster" itemization.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1057 on: January 01, 2013, 05:13:51 AM

Actually, they're the ones not keeping up with the meta. There are a lot of top lane champions doing well in mid lane now with the new "AD caster" itemization.

Yep, mid is skewing towards AD Casters right now because of season 3 itemization.  I am still more comfortable playing AP mid, but AD mids are where the meta is heading.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #1058 on: January 01, 2013, 12:57:30 PM

That and the recent tournaments where Double AD Carry has been used to good effect.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #1059 on: January 01, 2013, 05:35:05 PM

Any tips for jungling?

http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/15rkr2/najin_mokuzas_jungle_10_commandmentstranslated/

But seriously here are some more words which might make the jungle make sense.

Your job in the jungle is to control objectives while not falling behind. Part of controlling objectives will be ganking, part of controlling objectives will be being in the right place at the right time, and part of it will be warding.

Above all, remember that your lanes are more important than you are. Lanes are more important because they interact with the enemy more often. If you can give your lanes buffs without falling behind, do so. If you can give your lanes your jungle farm without falling behind, do so. If, when you gank, you can ensure that your lane gets the kill, do so.

Generally you're going to turn the tide of a fight simply by being there unless the enemy jungler is also there, so if you get kills on yourself the kill isn't actually contributing to the gank as compared to getting a kill for your ally.

whenever I leave the woods, I feel useless.  When to gank, how to gank, these things are a mystery to me.  Generally I run in and stun the guy and he flashes away, or sees me coming from wards and backs off before I can get in

The short answer is "come back". Don't just gank a lane then go somewhere else, gank a lane, go clear a camp, and then come back.

If the enemy has one avenue warded, go for a different avenue. Lane ganks are really strong, especially if you have good move speed.

And, communicate with your team, always let them know where you're going and when you're going to be there. Ping when you're going to go in.

I am almost positive i've linked this here before, its me playing nunu jungle in season 2 in one of my more dominating games. How dominating? I went 1/2/25 and our team had 28 kills total, which means I was not involved in a whole 2 kills our team had. The kills i did not get assists on were direct results of me snowballing the lanes.

http://www.leaguereplays.com/replays/1010407

The game highlights a lot of things that you should be doing in the jungle. Counter jungling (taking his big creeps so he falls behind), ganking/counter ganking, and how to lane gank. What you won't see is the communication I had with my team, which was very good.

Some things to note:

3:30 : I start my gank before doing mini's. This lets me do mini's after and then come back if the gank fails. Also note that Darius has pushed up his lane so that i have an easy avenue to get to lane. We only get the flash but this sets me up to come back at 4:40

5:20 : I don't go mid because the lane is pushed and because Gragas is very hard to gank. People tend to gank mid a bit too often imo. Especially if the enemy has a safe champion there. Their olaf got very lucky in ganking mid since Morg made mistakes(she did not flash and she her pool dropped her below binding mana). He should not have even bothered. He should not not bothered the later times he goes too.

5:55 : I could have stayed mid and CS'd but it wasn't worth it. I saw olaf leave towards top and so could easily check/take his bottom jungle. Taking his big wraith and mini-golem put me way ahead of him and i knew he could not touch me because he had to clear the small ones before looking for me. That being said, i was pretty exposed. Sona/EZ should probably have checked their jungle as soon as they had shoved draven out of lane. Though they probably thought i went to my wolves rather than his mini's.

6:30 Teemo has an easy kill on Darius so long as I am not top. Clearly he thinks I am still top. Olaf should have ganked top instead of backing for items.

7:20 We get to blue a bit late, I donate then buy. I probably could have ganked bottom before buying. Morg goes to do so, but is too obvious in how she leaves lane. Morg and I should have ganked bottom right after blue. I could have come through lane and her through wraith to tri.

8:40 I lane gank because i know they have a river ward. Darius 1v2's Olaf and Teemo top because of the kill I fed Darius and because Olaf wasn't 6 due to me counter jungling his wraiths twice. We get kinda lucky and kinda unlucky on the gank. I get stunned before i can do anything, but Sona ults zyra instead of draven and gets ruined by the Zyra/Draven deeps. We probably could have taken dragon off of this but for some reason we didn't, i just take his big wraith again and donate red to Darius.

11:08 Bottom is pushed up so i can just straight up lane gank. I have boots and philo so i am literally only a slow and AS buff at this point. It doesn't matter since I am hit points they still have to go through. We misplay the exit, but Sona had to ult and exhaust.

I bought Rengar and just wasn't impressed. I had a bunch of middling games and a bunch of bad games in blind pick and just wasn't feeling it. I think he has been nerfed into oblivion.

Buy sword of the divine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StE-f3PqSQ8

Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #1060 on: January 01, 2013, 06:54:01 PM

Never could get those replay videos to work.  Everytime I try it seems the version is out of date or some shit.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #1061 on: January 02, 2013, 03:58:56 AM

Same issue here - tries to backwards patch LoL and then fails miserably :S

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1062 on: January 02, 2013, 06:23:06 AM

Replays are unquestionably the best thing Riot could add to the game right now.
Rasix

Reply #1063 on: January 02, 2013, 08:52:02 AM

You know you've been having a bad run when the most fun you've had lately is against a troll team composed of Galio, Lux, Morgana, Nunu and Cass.  My team was bitching the entire time because all the other team did was try to push down towers.  They didn't like fighting against it, but I found it rather amusing.  Our Rammus (great pick into all AP) kept stealing quadras from our Riven, and she was getting really annoyed.  I couldn't stop chuckling. 

Definitely better than the game where I had to play ADC.  "Ohh, you said you didn't want to play ADC right?"  I was 130 CS up on anyone on my team (nearly a 6 item Cait).  They did no damage in fights and our Eve would die near instantly (usually after diving their entire team alone).  So every team fight was their Shyv, Garen or Akali just diving straight for me while the rest of my team did no damage and didn't bother to try to keep people off me.  The Lee, part of a premade, was really heaping everything on me and it was a bit obnoxious.  Didn't help that the premade were also bitching hard amongst themselves.  They didn't seem that good, which is odd, since looking them up shows them all to be around 1250-1450 ELO.  Their Nunu was nice, but he seems like the least active of their foursome. 

I'm in a weird normal elo right now.  Everyone seems to be higher elo in ranked than me (when I played ranked last season) when I check their profiles.  I'm typically seem to be playing against better players.  At least they seem better than me.

-Rasix
statisticalfool
Terracotta Army

Reply #1064 on: January 03, 2013, 06:33:05 AM

I've been doing a lot of playing Dominion. It's fast. It's fun.

Actually, when I say "play Dominion", that means "running around as Eve, murdering everything that moves":
http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/24335769#history

I feel like playing solo Q is an exercise in training my patience. It's maybe something I should do, but really, it's more morbid curiousity of "guess who'll start blaming who first".
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1065 on: January 03, 2013, 08:32:05 AM

I prefer to call it "who am I going to want to stab in the crotch first" along with the side game of "how long before the shitdick shows his face." The latter is often measured in SECONDS.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1066 on: January 03, 2013, 09:03:54 AM

Had a game last night where this duo swore up and down that our jungler was "snoopeh" and I should let them jungle cause we were gonna win so easily. I had grabed malph as first pick and was gonna jungle him but traded with this guy.

So first off I think I vaguely heard of snoopeh but I really dont give a fuck.  Secondly after I traded there was supposed to be another trade that never happened, but not my fault. 

We end up having a malph with support masteries and a nidalee with smite and jungling.  A fuck up to be sure but for a pro lol player? we lost at 25min 4/30

Rasix

Reply #1067 on: January 03, 2013, 09:09:56 AM

I feel like playing solo Q is an exercise in training my patience. It's maybe something I should do, but really, it's more morbid curiousity of "guess who'll start blaming who first".

I don't think I can be a big enough jerk to try ranked again.  You have to be willing to deal with the 5th pick that's calling his lane and champ and threatening to troll if you don't give in.  

Plus, whenever I state I don't want to be ADC or jungle, and am lower than 3rd pick, I'm always 1 of the 2.  That's fine, but it seems to always happen.  No one wants to ADC or jungle at low/starting elo.  They are my worst roles by a lot.  I just don't have a feel for jungle ganks, and always seem to fall behind in levels.  Additionally, I don't have a good pool of jungle champs I'm comfortable with.  With ADC? If they ban or pick Cait, I might as well dodge.  Plus, I can't team fight for shit as an ADC, I just don't get it.

I managed to win a game last night where I had 3 deaths to losing connection when Olaf engaged my GP.  This dude would also ignite to waste my potions.  It was kind of weird, especially when he could have gotten some easy dive kills when I was low by simply just igniting and then using his true damage nuke.  Ohh, and nothing like engaging with your jungle and immediately going link dead.  God, that was an obnoxious game.  On top of everything, I needed the use the bathroom urgently.  Luckily their team prematurely gave up.  They weren't totally out of it, kills were close, but they were losing objectives badly and everyone of them was down on farm.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 09:16:42 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1068 on: January 03, 2013, 09:21:39 AM

I don't know why people in solo queue can't understand pick order. Yes, you can call TOP all you want as 5th pick, but if one of the 4 guys above you in the order wants to top, he can take that top and you are either going to be stuck playing a champ we don't need while neglecting a role we do need, or just fucking playing what's left. It isn't even about the 4 guys above you being a dick or not because you have no fucking leverage other than troll or queue dodge. And frankly, most people would rather you dodge than troll because fucking elo falls FAST when the trolls come into play. I still try to call my lane, but if someone above me picks it, I pick another role.

And the dickheads who only know one role and one or two champs with that role, why the fuck are you playing draft order anyway? There's no way to be sure you'll get to pick your pet champ/lane combo, so you are almost guaranteed to piss your team off. WHY?

Rasix

Reply #1069 on: January 03, 2013, 09:24:11 AM

Because their friends play ranked and they're really good with Riven.  RIVEN TOP AND/OR I FEED!!@#!!@#

-Rasix
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1070 on: January 03, 2013, 09:44:53 AM

No matter what you cant argue with pick order but I hold respect for calling spots because these are usually the roles these people are best in and just cause I wanna go top, maybe the 5th pick is ONLY good top.  You just kind of have to balance it really.

statisticalfool
Terracotta Army

Reply #1071 on: January 03, 2013, 09:56:27 AM

Yeah. I always give a whole list of preferences "mid > top > support > jungle > adc", and since I don't mind supporting, I never end up being the sticking point for call wars...and in the end, I don't even end up supporting that much.

Jungling is pretty dead to me these days: no interest in being the lightning rod for blame, and I don't feel like it improves my skills nearly as much to jungle as it is to lane. Or just play dominion.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1072 on: January 03, 2013, 10:59:29 AM

I don't know who plays ranked, but keep in mind that in ranked is sorts players by Elo, and it often pays to have your best players playing their preferred role.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1073 on: January 03, 2013, 11:22:57 AM

I don't know who plays ranked, but keep in mind that in ranked is sorts players by Elo, and it often pays to have your best players playing their preferred role.

Yes but say I'm highest Elo and first pick. I can do anything I want but someone else calls support which is my best role. Now I can jungle well too but maybe they can only support well, if I pick support then we're screwed.*

*support is also a terrible example but hey it's what I'm good at.

Rasix

Reply #1074 on: January 03, 2013, 11:32:53 AM

Hah, as first pick I'd say I end up as support at least 50% of the time (this is just in normal draft).   I'll try to get a support/ADC/jungle to pick for me later, and we'll trade, but almost no one ever goes for it.   Picking a top or mid first leaves you really open to getting countered hard, unless you pick someone fairly safe.  Seems like every time I've picked Ryze lately, the next pick is always Cass.  Early GP? ENJOY YOUR TEEMO/ELISE/PANTH SPONSORED ASSRAPE.

Nothing quite like first pick Taric or Soraka.   awesome, for real

edit: Also, not saying you can't get counterpicked hard botlane.  But at least you're not on your own getting reamed.  You've got a friend (who does not like you) to enjoy it with you.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 11:36:09 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1075 on: January 03, 2013, 11:57:15 AM

I will usually go into a game knowing what role I want to play, but I've gotten proficient enough with enough champs at all the roles that I can play whatever without looking like a complete tool (most games). I'll call the lane I want. If someone higher than me takes that role, I call a different role that hasn't been called. Depending on how someone reacts, I'll let someone below me take the role I had - but only if they don't douche out over it. Douchieness will only make my inner (and not so far from the surface) dickhead come out, just to spite you.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1076 on: January 03, 2013, 12:27:28 PM

I'll admit that when someone says in draft "mid or feed" and I pick before them I purposefully pick mid and tell them tough shit.

Or when I call a spot just by saying "jungle" and instead of "i'd prefer jungle can you do something else?" I get "fuck you im first I get jungle" then I'll just pick a jungler with smite as well and wait for the one second mark to switch champs. Usually someone bails then which is fine cause teammates like that are generally terrible.

Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #1077 on: January 03, 2013, 03:20:34 PM

Well, just had my first ranked game ever... and the game decides I should be team captain. swamp poop  I thought it was supposed to rank by experience or something, jeez.  I'm sitting there going "well, if we're up against Dan Dinh, I should definitely ban Evelyn... and, uh, I hate the way Trundle looks, so he's banned... and, shoot, need a third one... umm... eeenie.... meenie..."

I took more kills from the carry than I would have liked, and both teams had an AFK, but otherwise, it wasn't as disastrous as I'd feared.  Yorick as solo top was crushing.

Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #1078 on: January 03, 2013, 04:13:08 PM

If it gave you captain it meant that the people you were playing with hard ratings below yours. You start at 1200 provisional and so does everyone else, so you've got the same chance of landing captain during your provisionals as you do after.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1079 on: January 04, 2013, 11:50:52 AM

God, Maokai is such a beast as a jungler and I really think I'm getting the hang of him. Unfortunately, my last match just highlighted the need to ethnically cleanse the fucking LOL community post-haste.

I get first pick, choose jungle Mao. Third pick calls top, then 2nd pick calls top. Easy choice, 2nd pick gets top. Nope. Apparently, 3rd pick is a spoiled 13 year old with entitlement issues who instalocks Irelia. 2nd pick takes Garen and at least agrees to go bot. Then we get invaded by the whole team, our Morg mid is still sitting in spawn and I take 2 stupid deaths and they get our blue. However, we still manage to not fuck it up too bad even though I took a third death trying to gank top because the fucking Irelia ignored me saying I was ganking top and went back to spawn. I get to turret hugging and get killed by a Jayce/Shaco combo. Yet somehow, it starts to turn around. By mid game, we're pulling off aces even though fucking Irelia keeps going top solo until she knocks down the 2nd turret. Yet the whole game we keep having to tell her to group up. Most team fights end up 4v4 or 4v5 because of it. I die a lot but I'm tanking in team fights a man down so meh. We lost the game but I ended up with 12/14/18. Irelia got 7/8/9. Take away 3 stupid deaths for the invasion and the idiot abandoning me at top on my first gank, and I'm in positive territory. And yes, I reported the Irelia for all the fucking good it would do.

Last night's game was better. Other team had the idiot child Panth who gave up after level 7 and AFK'ed. I led Mao to a 5/0/5 20-minute or so surrender. I think that was the first time I didn't die at all in a game.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #1080 on: January 04, 2013, 12:13:26 PM

I kinda miss this game. Might even fire it up this weekend...

Haemish, play MWO once in a while. Actually, that goes for all of you :)

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #1081 on: January 04, 2013, 09:10:20 PM

Stupid question: what's the difference between a mid lane champ and a top lane champ?  I (think I kinda) understand why you'd get two bottom as an AD/Support, and that you'd also want an AP somewhere, but aside from someone like TF or Panth with their limited range ults, I'm not sure why it matters so much who goes top versus who goes mid.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #1082 on: January 04, 2013, 09:26:18 PM

1) Mid lane is shorter, meaning the safety of your tower is never far away - this is good for squishier champs with less mobility. Top lane is forced to extend further out, so it naturally lends itself to tankier champs with mobility or sustain.

2) Mid lane is in the middle, so it's likely going to receive the most ganks. Characters with high burst and CC are best able to capitalize on ganks. Top lane is farthest from dragon, so it's going to have the least jungle presence and favors strong 1v1 champs.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1083 on: January 06, 2013, 03:23:38 PM

A combination of getting a firmer grip on handling Yorick and the randomness of solo queue strangeness has led to a nice string of victories for me; 8 wins, 3 losses, averaging 4/4/6 for K/D/As.  I blame two of the three losses on bad teammates, while the third was just a complete shutout from what I can only assume was an organized team (3/11/9 for my stats that match)

I've found that most of the advisement literature for Yorick holds true for S3 as it did for S2, with some slight variations and my own personal experience.  I start now with a Crystal Flask, Faerie Pendent, and one HP/MP pot each.  That gives me enough early game regen to last quite a bit, especially depending on how harsh I harass/push myself, which isn't really much if I play solo top or mid.  In those instances I'm just freezing the lane right in front of my tower, making me nigh gank-proof and giving my opponents antsy to try and sneak in a hit.  Many of them never expect the slow and vamp ghoul hits I toss out until it's too late; they expect me to run a la Darias/Garen and hit 'em with the shovel  awesome, for real.

Once I've got the coin, I grab basic boots and upgrade the Faerie to a Tear of the Goddess as soon as I can afford one.  The quicker I start building up that mana pool passive, which carries over to the upgraded Manamune, the better.  Rushing to Manamune and forgoing Doran Blades kinda hurts me both DPS and survival-wise, but with the Manamune, I get that mana pool increase off melee hits too.  The new Muramana for S3 makes it all worth it, as the mana regen + AD off of my mana pool lets me hit rather hard.  If I get blue buffed, then I'll activate the Muramana for that "tons of damage"

After Manamune, it's Merc Shoes and Spirit Visage time.  Merc Shoes for the Magic Resist and Tenacity, Spirit Visage for heath, cooldown, and vamp/regen buff.  The ghouls get a lot more numerous and stronger with the Spirit Visage up, and I can also start to tower dive with a little more confidence.

My next two item picks right now is some combination of Iceborn Gauntlets, Frozen Heart, and Frozen Mallet.  All three benefit me in some way, though I can never really exploit all three fully without something either overlapping (cooldown reduction) or being useless (AP).  I've been grabbing Frozen Heart first, but I have yet to give the Gauntlets a good shake.

The last item is open to whatever I think would be best.  Right now it's Guardian Angel (because who doesn't need a second res on top of the one I get from my ult?!), but Warmogs/Randuins/Runic Bulwark make me super tanky, and Bloodthirster/Black Cleaver make me hit like a truck.  Still experimenting...

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1084 on: January 08, 2013, 08:13:26 PM

Because mid-lane is in the middle your mid-laner can also roam to both top and bottom, show up for jungle fights around red and blue, etc. Top lane tends to mostly just stay top and sometimes help in top-side jungle.

The ideal mid-laner is someone that can effectively roam around the map, meaning they can clear waves mid pretty quickly.

That said there's no rule that top has to be some AD bruiser and mid has to be AP. You can put AP top and AD mid, or two AP, or whatever, as long as the rest of the team supports it.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 43 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  League of Legends  |  Topic: LoL Stories, Share your good and bad here.  
Jump to: