Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:57:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: (Not) Fun with Alcohol 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: (Not) Fun with Alcohol  (Read 61315 times)
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #35 on: August 31, 2011, 06:20:24 PM

Ya, go with some hair of the dog. Always works for me, but then again I'm probably an alcoholic.

Enthusiast.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #36 on: August 31, 2011, 06:30:01 PM

Only really been hungover twice in my life, but they were doozies:

1st time was after a night of basically straight tequila (most of a bottle to myself). I later realized that it was actually a problem that the tequila was eventually indistinguishable from water to me.  Ohhhhh, I see. That stunt put me in the hospital for a day with extreme dehydration - two or three IV bags and something to calm my stomach eventually did the trick.

2nd time was years later. Earlier this year on St Pat's day, a bunch of us went out and I was drinking heavily...which isn't normally a problem. Unfortunately, someone slipped me a shot of tequila that I thought was just terrible rail vodka...whoops. I was vomiting for the better part of the next day into the late afternoon. This one I just dealt with by forcing gatorade until I could keep it down.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #37 on: August 31, 2011, 06:52:50 PM

I managed to put down about 14 beers in a row at a brewfest in my college days outdoors in Georgia July heat over the course of 4 hours while drinking no water at all.

I was hung over for about 3 days. The first day I just slept and couldn't move. The second day I was able to eat applesauce and crackers. The third day I rose from the dead.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: August 31, 2011, 06:53:02 PM

Did you maybe bump your head?  You could have BPPV.  Between that and an ear infection I lost over a month this summer.  It took me a week to realize I wasn't fuzzy so much as suffering vertigo.  It very much felt like I had been heavily drinking.  Not moving my head was the only way I felt 'alright'.  Driving seriously aggravated it.

Vertigo sucks. I've been getting recurring vertigo for the last year or so that lasts ~10 days and then goes away for a couple months. It's amazing how large of an effect your sense of balance can have on the rest of your body. You can google search 'epley maneuver' for a quick exercise that might knock your inner-ear back in balance if this were the case.

It sounds like luckton legitimately just has a serious hang-over. The best advice is pro-active water (or gatorade/pedialyte) consumption before you go to sleep, or preferably while you are drinking even.

Hair of the dog is also a valid option in conjunction with water... it doesn't take much. Lately if I wake up with a hangover after a night of drinking, I try to stay hydrated and I usually have a small drink as well. Half a beer is enough to make me feel normal again, and then I can just let my body do the rest of the work re-hydrating itself.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #39 on: August 31, 2011, 08:04:51 PM

With things like energy drinks and isotonic drinks (Gatorade etc), remember that they are a recent invention and human beings performed just fine throughout history without them. They are never the best solution to a problem. Tens of thousands of kilometres on bicycles taught me that there is nothing better than H2O and a balanced diet.

The only times I use isotonic drinks are when I'm cycling very long distances, to minimise the chance of leg muscle cramps. Even then, I ride with one bottle of water, one bottle of isotonic drink, and sip from each. I also experienced in the Australian desert, travelling in 47 degrees C, that powerade/gatorade should not be regarded as something you can drink instead of water, even if all you have is foul-tasting bore water.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 08:20:31 PM by Tale »
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #40 on: September 01, 2011, 12:41:05 AM

I would've thought that you'd need to replace your salts when biking over a long period of time, or when walking in a high heat, not just replace the water itself.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: September 01, 2011, 02:03:23 AM

With things like energy drinks and isotonic drinks (Gatorade etc), remember that they are a recent invention and human beings performed just fine throughout history without them. They are never the best solution to a problem. Tens of thousands of kilometres on bicycles taught me that there is nothing better than H2O and a balanced diet.

The only times I use isotonic drinks are when I'm cycling very long distances, to minimise the chance of leg muscle cramps. Even then, I ride with one bottle of water, one bottle of isotonic drink, and sip from each. I also experienced in the Australian desert, travelling in 47 degrees C, that powerade/gatorade should not be regarded as something you can drink instead of water, even if all you have is foul-tasting bore water.

I don't know how far you're talking about when you say "very long distance" nor wether you mean a race or a gentle sightseeing tour. But I'll just throw this link into the mix from a recent discussion I had about hydration, overhydration, electrolyte imbalances, hyponatremia etc http://www.ultracycling.com/nutrition/drinking_too_much.html All a digression though - I don't think it's relevant here.

My two cents worth, not-a-doctor-but-most-definitely-a-drinker opinion on Luckton's issue is that alcohol could quite possibly be a red herring and that you may have picked up a virus or something. If you didn't drink yourself unconscious on the Friday then I'd be quite surprised that you were still feeling that shit a few days later just because of a hangover. Go see a doctor.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 02:10:03 AM by DraconianOne »

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: September 01, 2011, 07:34:48 AM

You could have hearing loss in an ear. I have some in one of mine and it flared up again years after the event and mDe me dizzy and nauseous. It comes back sometimes when I don't sleep enough and drink too much.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: September 01, 2011, 08:20:03 AM

I'm betting on something with the vestibular system.  Hopefully they figure it out tomorrow.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #44 on: September 01, 2011, 08:29:29 AM

The worst hangover I've ever had was after some tequila that we'd brought back from Mexico.  I think it lasted for a week. 

If you are a person that has trouble with nausea after drinking dramamine seems to really help me a lot.  It makes me sleepy as hell but no more feeling sick.  I typically don't get headaches, but then again I haven't had a bad hangover in years, so it may be different for me now.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #45 on: September 01, 2011, 08:49:35 AM

I solved hangovers completely. I know my limits and stay within them  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: September 01, 2011, 08:53:44 AM

I do, too, until there's a cute girl involved.  Then all bets are off.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: September 01, 2011, 09:11:58 AM

I'm feeling better today...still hydrating like a fish.  Will keep my appointment for tomorrow and have them check me out just to be sure.  I picked up a B Complex vitamin and a B12 liquid vitamin at the CVS last night...it was all BOGO free  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Thanks again all for the advice.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #48 on: September 01, 2011, 06:41:41 PM

I don't know how far you're talking about when you say "very long distance" nor wether you mean a race or a gentle sightseeing tour. But I'll just throw this link into the mix from a recent discussion I had about hydration, overhydration, electrolyte imbalances, hyponatremia etc http://www.ultracycling.com/nutrition/drinking_too_much.html All a digression though - I don't think it's relevant here.

Oh look, it's hyponatremia. Always quoted back at me whenever I write common sense about consuming water.
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: September 01, 2011, 07:14:11 PM

I just want to build on 2 things that were said already:

B Complex:  changed my life.  Fatigue issues eliminated.  Of course everyone is different but if it works, it's so much better for you than the 5 hour energy.  I have a feeling that in a few years we'll find out that shit causes black holes.

Veggies:  I found a fun and tasty way to increase the veggie intake.  Not being a salad guy, or even really a veggie guy, I had a chopped salad at an Italian restaurant once and since then I've been chopping my own salads.  Sounds simple, but for me the entire aesthetic changes.  One can eat massive amounts of salad and it's all good.  Add a little vinaigrette and olive oil, and whatever you want really (except cinnamon rolls).  Use spinach and different kinds of greens.  Fun times.

Little things will help in the long run, especially later in life (cough)
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: September 02, 2011, 09:45:09 AM

Oh look, it's hyponatremia. Always quoted back at me whenever I write common sense about consuming water.

So you think your common sense about water applies 100% of the time? Forgive me if I choose to ignore you on certain occasions.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: September 02, 2011, 10:01:22 AM

There are different types of dehydration that occur with different circumstances and probabilities.  I didn't come to appreciate that myself until I had worked in a clinic.  I also don't mind people being critical of my suggestions.  I like it when I am questioned.  It keeps me thinking. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #52 on: September 02, 2011, 10:13:10 AM

Pffft, your such a scientist with your scientifical methods.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: September 02, 2011, 10:16:50 AM

I object!

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #54 on: September 02, 2011, 10:22:20 AM

This is in no way significant.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #55 on: September 02, 2011, 11:33:07 AM

This is in no way significant.
That's just a theory.

"Me am play gods"
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: September 02, 2011, 12:11:18 PM

My four-year-old likes to inform me, "Dad, I have a hypothesis."

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #57 on: September 02, 2011, 12:18:23 PM

"Humans got by for X thousands of years on just <substance Y> and did fine!" is always kind of an iffy argument to make. Humans also had a life expectancy under 30 years for most of that time, after all.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: September 02, 2011, 12:23:49 PM

I, for one, thank Gatorade every day for extending our life expectancy.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
WayAbvPar

Reply #59 on: September 02, 2011, 12:43:43 PM

My four-year-old likes to inform me, "Dad, I have a hypothesis."

Bust out his Tinker Toys and tell him you have a hypotenuse  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I, for one, thank Gatorade every day for extending our life expectancy.

It probably preserves our corpses at least!

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: September 02, 2011, 12:58:16 PM

"Humans got by for X thousands of years on just <substance Y> and did fine!" is always kind of an iffy argument to make. Humans also had a life expectancy under 30 years for most of that time, after all.
I'll add more substance to my earlier snark. If anything, what we have been eating and drinking for the last 100 years has been lowering our life expectancy, not helping it.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #61 on: September 02, 2011, 01:03:25 PM

The last 100 years, in the US, maybe. The last 10,000? Not so much, and in any case we're still learning more about nutrition every year. The idea that we just need to return to our caveman diets or whatever (where these sorts of statements often crop up) is just wistful pastoralism, for the most part, not science.

My point, obviously, is not anything specific about Gatorade.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: September 02, 2011, 01:26:19 PM

Maybe I'm just a luddite when it comes to food but it just seems food science/nutrition always comes up short. So many modern diseases and just obesity in general can be tracked down to the food that we eat at the same time we are supposedly learning so much more about nutrition. (Large scale) nutrionists and food science exists, in my opinion, not to actually make us healthier but to sell and market the wonder food/vitamin to us.

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: September 02, 2011, 01:26:38 PM

My point, obviously, is not anything specific about Gatorade.

It's got electrolytes! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Vw2CrY9Igs 
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 01:57:21 PM by DraconianOne »

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #64 on: September 02, 2011, 05:36:01 PM

Um, you're talking about WATER. The thing that you consist mostly of.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: September 02, 2011, 10:48:08 PM

Maybe I'm just a luddite when it comes to food but it just seems food science/nutrition always comes up short. So many modern diseases and just obesity in general can be tracked down to the food that we eat at the same time we are supposedly learning so much more about nutrition. (Large scale) nutrionists and food science exists, in my opinion, not to actually make us healthier but to sell and market the wonder food/vitamin to us.

Nutritionists aren't the ones making, selling and marketing the food. There is a huge disconnect between what we know is healthy (scientifically speaking) and what we eat, for a variety of reasons mostly related to money.

...but I'm foggy-headed and I feel like I'm loosing it.

What were you loosing? Some sort of wild beast?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 10:51:07 PM by Margalis »

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: September 03, 2011, 12:07:27 AM

Judging by this thread, yes.

Hangover may be caused by any combination of dehydration, toxicity from alcohol metabolites, your body over correcting stimulant hormone production, toxicity from shit that dissolves in alcohol, hypoglecemia, and withdrawal symptoms.

Basically everything that's been suggested works to some extent some of the time.  Even the hair of the dog that bit you will alleviate the last two or three.
Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: September 04, 2011, 07:45:51 AM

Yep, glad you're arguing with the biochemist in the forum. That'll go well.

He was right.  I threw something down quickly in an effort to help.   I should have just stayed with the pedialyte recommendation and left out the homemade stuff.  

I'll be more thorough in the future.  

Nerf: I'll look into it when I get a minute and PM you what I find out.

No he wasnt. While caffeine has a diuretic effect the effect is generally so small that when drinking a normal American cup of drip coffee, the water you imbibe with the coffee offset by the caffeine's diuretic effect is still a net positive.

Luckton' as for your multiday hangover its simple, welcome to getting older.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #68 on: September 04, 2011, 08:30:15 AM

This thread has inspired me to add Vitamin B Complex into my morning routine - started Friday.  I could use more energy.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #69 on: September 04, 2011, 08:51:59 AM

Have a physical on Tuesday. Wouldn't be surprised if, among other things, my blood comes back as being low in Iron and other assorted vitamins. Also the blood pressure is a bit elevated, but that's probably due to stress and lack of exercise.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: (Not) Fun with Alcohol  
Jump to: