Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:27:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: (Not) Fun with Alcohol 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: (Not) Fun with Alcohol  (Read 61049 times)
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #175 on: September 26, 2011, 06:25:50 PM

It's not the cooking I hate so much as the cleaning up.

Yep.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #176 on: September 26, 2011, 07:35:20 PM

We are down to two cooking 'things' that don't go in the dishwasher - the cast iron skillet, and the chefs knife.

Everything else we use is either stainless steel or has proven hardy enough to survive. Cutting boards, crock pot insert, all pots and pans, some weird doofy unbreakable wine glasses with titanium in them (or some crazy thing like that), everything.   I actually sort of hate nonstick pans so it was pretty much a matter of just accumulating stainless steel pots & pans over time that weren't hideously expensive.   Finding a rice cooker with a stainless steel bowl was a little tricky, but it was totally worth it.  Nothing is more of a deterrent to cooking than cleaning up afterwards.

(And truth be told, I don't really 'clean' the cast iron skillet or knife anyway.   The skillet gets the fat-char sludge boiled out of it before each use and the knife pretty much gets rinsed and wiped dry with a dishtowel unless it was used for raw chicken.  Shh.)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 07:40:13 PM by proudft »
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #177 on: September 26, 2011, 09:16:55 PM

I mostly stick with various pastas and steamed veggies. I can't cook, have no desire to cook, so most of the time I'm only eating meat when I eat out, and it's usually kabob or Indian or something (ie - not McD's).

Don't even own a grill...which would be pretty difficult with this apartment.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #178 on: September 27, 2011, 06:19:18 AM

We are down to two cooking 'things' that don't go in the dishwasher - the cast iron skillet, and the chefs knife.
Exactly. Getting a dishwasher took most of the drudgery out of the nightly chore. And grilling nights are awesome, because I don't have to clean out the skillet.

Last night we test drove those sweet potatoes that comes shrink-wrapped in plastic, supposed to just pop them in the nuker. I gave them a solid "acceptable", she liked them. I'd prefer oven baking for the carmelization, but when it's hot out (what's up with that, btw), it's a good pinch solution when you want some sweet taters but not a hot kitchen or processed McCain's fries (which we love, but they do get processed).

Another trick I picked up was dicing up small red potatoes into 1-2" cubes (relatively uniform, pick a size and stick with it), adding some herbs and olive oil in a glass bowl. Toss and cover with plastic, nuke for a few minutes. Then toss them on a cookie sheet in the oven to brown. Nice creamy center and crisp brown outside.

We should probably move this over to the VoodooL thread.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: (Not) Fun with Alcohol  
Jump to: