Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 07:06:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  The f13 Radicalthon  |  Topic: Dwarf Fortress: Project Swampass 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress: Project Swampass  (Read 8106 times)
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

on: August 11, 2011, 01:39:40 PM

Chapter 1:  Swamp? SWAMP! I didn't sign up for this.

So, dwarves and swamps.  Sounds like a recipe for arthritis.  

The intrepid band of dwarves, "Fingerpaint", head off to their new site, promised metal, booze, and really confusing sex.  What will they find?  Will they die a soggy, pestilence filled death or will they crank out engineering disasters like their legendary predecessors?

Swamps of Wiping?  Why not.  Perhaps they just refer to the constant threat of dysentery and not the assurance of total annihilation.

FINGERPAINT, HO. The swamp is our canvas.
So, it's a swamp with snow?  This is very un-dwarfy and slightly intriguing.  It probably just means "more wet" in the long run.  Plus, ducks.

The rheumatic dwarves spring to life.  Rasix and schild start tearing into the mountain, carving out everything from farm areas to a dormitory.  The area already looks to be rich with minerals and gems.  Good soil for planting.   Way gets a headstart at pissing off the elves and starts felling anything that bleeds sap.  Trippy makes beds and barrels, and Paelos gets to schucking mussels.

It all comes together in relative ease.  Not much happening initially and the site construction goes according to (poorly thought out) plan.  Industry is established and Sam gets busy working on trinkets to sell to the neighbors.  This silly Elves, they just love anything made out of rock.  We trip over this stuff trying to piss and they'll give us booze and cloth in return.  Fantastic.

Entrance to the fortress. Notice the crack security.

Farms, food industry and the lunch hall.

Further up the hall is the dormitory, food stocks, and Rasix's office under construction.

The second floor contains our crafting stocks on the right and mechanical shops on the left.  Everything is still coming together, but at least the temporary outside industry has been moved indoors away from the surly cappybaras and water fowl.

Our efficient start has rewarded us with migrants!  First available time to get migrants and our outstanding effort has already been rewarded.  We brace for the onslaught of needed crafters and peasants to clean up our shit and serve in the army.  

So, let's see who we got.

An elderly mason and his/her two sprats? Ohh, they bought a chicken too.  Fantastic.  Thanks a fucking lot, central office.  Where's that hunter we asked for? Paelos is already complaining about the rodents of unusual size.  Personally, I don't think they exist.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 01:42:58 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Rasix

Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 01:49:37 PM

I'm open to any direction with this group.  This is just a chronicle of testing out the current state of the game and to see if I want to try something like a settling in an evil area or going to a magma scarred wasteland for my next game.

-Rasix
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 03:53:24 PM

\o/

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Rasix

Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 03:57:42 PM

Ahh, just got more migrants (hey, it's a slow day here).  Now to make heads or tails out of the new military stuff and to start assigning people to their deaths exciting career opportunities.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 04:00:37 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 04:15:15 PM

Hic sunt dracones.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 02:13:46 AM

I totally volunteer to be a security guard! Plus, I have experience!

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 09:49:36 AM

This looks promising.

Also, a Dwarf Fortress that doesn't look like complete arse?

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 02:10:46 PM

I can break rocks

what tileset is that?  plugin?
Rasix

Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 02:59:38 PM

-Rasix
Rasix

Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 10:51:06 AM

Chapter 2: Expansion  

Well, the people keep coming in. At the beginning this update I had 12 dwarves, which has since grown to 47.  That's a somewhat long timespan to cover, but this fortress has been placid enough to condense into a quick update.  

Note: they only show up as Xs, because when they come in as migrants, they flash between their normal model and the

And for some reason the animals keep dying in the midst of all of this.  What's going on?

EAT. I COMMAND YOU.

Well, it turns out a new "feature" of this build is that all grazing animals will no longer magically sustain themselves. You have to create an activity area, assign it as a pasture, and then assign the animals individually to it (that's i -> draw out area -> P -> assign animals).  If there's a option for "go eat some grass, fuckheads" I haven't found it yet.  

We have a couple births to celebrate. During combat drilling, Sjofn's sprog popped.  

Like a true, hardass militia commander she finished her individual combat training, bearded baby in arms.

Not to be out done, Haemish gave birth as well.  As you may notice from this and previous DF runs, I don't dilligently check gender before assigning names.

Since I like my families to have their own cramped appartments, I decided to give Haem a new place.  And in doing so we discover the who the father is.

Population grown leads to the need to ramp up our various production facilities and to actually get our metal industry off the ground.

First, the farm area had to be expanded and do this another pool was drained.  Exciting I know, but our farmers did have to work in ankle keep water for a while, as I misjudged just how much water that sucker had in it.

Oops.

As I wasn't finding any ore contructing my fortress, I had to look around the map to see if I could locate any ore deposits.  Luckily, south of the fortress I could see the telltale signs of hematite in the rock walls.  Strip mining time!

Now, what would DF be without some EPIC CRAFTING!!!

I think I'll let the pictures speak for themselves, with the only input is that I named the previously unnamed dwarf when they started.

For the future: we have a developing unemployment issue and the need for unfrozen fresh water in the winter.  The later has a solution in the works, the former.. I don't know yet.  We've yet to come under attack, so I haven't had much to do with a military. However, once we hit 50 dwarves, we'll lose some dwarves to appointed positions in the fotress guard. Beyond bureaucracy, I have a feeling we're going to have to resort to building monuments or pissing off elves. Or perhaps we can shelve this run and go for something in an evil, chaotic land ruled by skeletal monkeys.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 11:07:12 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 12:29:26 PM

Looking forward to a dwarf named Slayerik dying a grizzly death! ;) 3 months ago!

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Rasix

Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 12:34:05 PM

Man, I have no idea what I was doing that stopped me from playing.  I think it was Deus Ex: HR.

Plus, this fortress got pretty boring. Not sure if I saved the world when I moved to a new laptop, either.

fake edit: checked.  Deus Ex: HR came out 1 day after my last update.  Then LoL happened.. /addicted.

-Rasix
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 04:21:15 PM

Hah, fair enough.

Do you reckon you could do a LoL radicalthon? Play-by-play of the thrills and spills of having a smurf account perhaps?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #13 on: December 12, 2011, 05:08:47 PM

Roleplay as SirBruce.

"Me am play gods"
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #14 on: December 12, 2011, 05:18:24 PM

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #15 on: December 12, 2011, 05:24:57 PM

You just now made me curious whether he's still running his website.  According to Google it still exists and is full of malware.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: December 12, 2011, 05:41:46 PM

Like internet HIV.  Which is sort of ironic, because epidemiologists think that real HIV originated in apes, and SirBruce could be a vector of transmission for that too.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #17 on: December 12, 2011, 05:48:41 PM

Bruce is a walking, breathing reminder that all it takes to do incredibly freaky shit to a woman is enough 0's in your bank account.  Makes me giggle at times.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Rasix

Reply #18 on: December 12, 2011, 09:22:18 PM

Hah, fair enough.

Do you reckon you could do a LoL radicalthon? Play-by-play of the thrills and spills of having a smurf account perhaps?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I'm not good enough that a smurf account would be any massive pup stomp.  Although my current one is like 7/2.  

It would need a theme.  A purpose.  Hope in game and instalock Singed or some other 450 or 1350 champ for like 10 games.  Maybe someone I've never played like Teemo/Warwick/Zil/Eve/Sion.  Troll, try-hard, weird build (well, this can be trolling), odd supports?

-Rasix
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #19 on: December 13, 2011, 06:31:51 AM

You're Garen the Barbarian, slayer of the opposing team's champions, but you are unable to bring yourself to hurt female champions because of your upbringing.

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #20 on: December 13, 2011, 06:45:21 AM

Astronaut Teemo has landed on this strange new world filled hostile creatures.

"Me am play gods"
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: December 13, 2011, 08:38:43 AM

These are superb ideas, and I'd just find it great to have a narrative version of some terrible low-level games. I can only imagine that the responses of the low-level LoL community to some hardcore RP would be a treat to behold.

Rasix

Reply #22 on: December 13, 2011, 08:42:57 AM

I do find the Chivalrous Garen to be somewhat funny.   Could also try a Brave Sir Garen, the cowardly knight.  

"Young Miss, would you please back away from the hostiles.  I have no wish to accidentally harm you."   "For Demacia!  Now please, stop hitting me.  I am not permitted to strike you."
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 09:16:10 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: December 16, 2011, 08:47:59 AM

Oh noz, I need to know what happens to my namesake! Does he keep building the same wall over and over?!?!?!

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  The f13 Radicalthon  |  Topic: Dwarf Fortress: Project Swampass  
Jump to: