Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 05:18:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Random Sports Discussion 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Random Sports Discussion  (Read 332134 times)
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #1120 on: August 11, 2014, 12:24:55 PM

Another point being made is the darkness of the track in general, and the dark firesuit and helmet Ward was wearing.  I think proving criminal charges is going to be really hard, unless clearer evidence shows up.

He accelerated before and after hitting him. If there was no damaging intent then the proper action is to brake in both situations. At the very least it's involuntary manslaughter since his actions constitute reckless disregard for life. At the most it's murder 2. Frankly looking at the video and knowing Tony's history with losing his temper I would say murder 2.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1121 on: August 11, 2014, 12:59:00 PM

I don't think they can prove murder. I think from what I'm hearing from legal beagles on sports stations that involuntary manslaughter should absolutely be on the table, and possibly vehicular homicide.

The acceleration under caution for me is a clear case of a guy driving recklessly. The mitigating factor will be the guy on the track in my mind. However, if I was arguing the case, how often are guys on a track clearing up a wreck in NASCAR races? All the time. And yet nobody gets sideswiped to death under a caution flag.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #1122 on: August 11, 2014, 01:30:05 PM

I don't think they can prove murder. I think from what I'm hearing from legal beagles on sports stations that involuntary manslaughter should absolutely be on the table, and possibly vehicular homicide.

The acceleration under caution for me is a clear case of a guy driving recklessly. The mitigating factor will be the guy on the track in my mind. However, if I was arguing the case, how often are guys on a track clearing up a wreck in NASCAR races? All the time. And yet nobody gets sideswiped to death under a caution flag.

As far as I can tell murder two could be shown pretty easy. Basically it's reckless to accelerate under caution. It's intent to accelerate next to the guy, even if he only means to scare him. Kinda like how you can't shoot a person then say you only meant to scare them, it's not that people might not believe you it's that scaring them is malicious intent. The question comes down to three issues. One does a reasonable person accelerate there? If no it's at least involuntary manslaughter. Did Stewart have malicious intent of any sort? If yes go to the next question. If no, involuntary manslaughter. Does a reasonable person gets mad enough to murder there? if no it's murder two if yes it's voluntary manslaughter.

But it's going to  be hard to claim no intent when he accelerated through him. Unless he can convince a jury he didn't see him (but then why is he accelerating?). Even if he didn't intent to hit him that isn't a defense for murder 2, he intended to cause harm and ended up killing him.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1123 on: August 11, 2014, 04:31:14 PM

Whatever the legal outcome, this chucklefuck should never be allowed on a race track ever again.

Edit: Oh, look at this.  He needed anger management.  Must have been seen by Charlie Sheen for how well it worked. Ohhhhh, I see.

"NASCAR officials fined Stewart $10,000 and ordered him to get anger management counseling for hitting a photographer after a bad race at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in 2002."
http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/11/showbiz/tony-stewart-profile/index.html?hpt=hp_t2
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 04:38:04 PM by Ginaz »
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1124 on: August 11, 2014, 05:09:48 PM

They almost raced him this weekend. NASCAR was totally tone deaf to the issue until somebody over there actually realized what a fuckup that would be.

They should suspend him pending an investigation. That's the RIGHT thing to do. What they'll actually do? Pay lip service to the kid's family, then put him right back out there since he's a huge draw.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1125 on: September 24, 2014, 04:16:57 PM

Tony Stewart not charged by grand jury
no evidence of "aberrational" driving from Stewart before he hit Ward and that it appeared Stewart was driving in a straight line until he hit Ward
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1126 on: September 24, 2014, 05:27:25 PM

The whole thing comes off as a smear job on Ward by saying he had pot in his system. I mean the fuck? They do a tox screen on the dead guy but not his killer?

NASCAR paid some people off. They admit he's driving in a straight line until he veers to hit Ward at the end, but that's not good enough for indictment? Ridiculous. I hope the family takes his ass to the cleaners. He's getting away with killing that kid.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #1127 on: September 24, 2014, 05:34:14 PM

Well, they said he veered AFTER he hit him, not that he 'veers to hit Ward.'  Let's not misrepresent things.   Not taking a blood sample from Stewart after the accident was a pretty big mistake though.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #1128 on: November 13, 2014, 04:48:39 PM

FIFA: We had a look at whether there had been any ethics violations during the bidding processes for the 2018 and 2022 world cups, and found that the winners Russia and Qatar are completely innocent of any corruption. By the way though England and Australia did try to bribe some of our guys, so fuck them, right?

*hands out 42 pages of a 430 page report*

English FA: Like fuck we're corrupt, you guys are full of shit

Russia: Oh cool. By the way, all the relevant e-mails you asked for were lost when our 'rented' laptops had their harddrives wiped. Sorry about that. It's great that you managed to do the investigation without them

*Qatar resumes building stadiums using Bangladeshi slave labour*

Michael Garcia: Hi, I'm the guy who actually wrote the 430 page report and your 42 page summary is full of shit, what's the deal FIFA?

*FIFA shuffles feet*

So the FA gets slated for throwing one of the voting dudes a £35000 dinner, but the £1.8 million the Qataris threw at Brazil (just one of their many varied splashes) is all cool?

Fuck FIFA, what a useless bunch of self-serving cunts.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #1129 on: November 13, 2014, 05:36:38 PM

Yup. Question is will anything be done?

Also we do have a soccer thread..

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1130 on: November 13, 2014, 05:49:22 PM

Yup. Question is will anything be done?

Also we do have a soccer thread..

If the USA/UK/Australia actually care? Yeah.

I don't think so though.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1131 on: November 13, 2014, 07:02:10 PM

No, not shit will be done. FIFA can investigate its member conferences for ethics violations, then ignore any ethics violations because fuck it.

Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #1132 on: November 23, 2014, 01:36:38 AM

So I went to a roller derby event this weekend. Is it a thing elsewhere too?

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
WayAbvPar

Reply #1133 on: November 23, 2014, 02:07:40 AM

I work with someone who does it, but I have never been to a match or whatever they are called.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1134 on: November 23, 2014, 01:24:10 PM

I follow a young woman on Google+ who does roller derby. Mason Dixon Roller Vixens or something like that... She posts pics every now and then. Seems interesting in a way.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1135 on: February 24, 2015, 10:50:19 AM

So now we have a Qatar world cup in the winter? WTF soccer?

WayAbvPar

Reply #1136 on: February 24, 2015, 10:52:34 AM

This makes it 25% more likely to actually happen. I still think it is going to get shifted to a country with the infrastructure to handle it before then.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1137 on: February 24, 2015, 10:52:56 AM

Better than playing in an average Summer temperature of 106 degrees.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1138 on: March 16, 2015, 11:46:04 AM

Tourney time! If Kentucky loses, about half the nation will be shocked and their brackets done.

WayAbvPar

Reply #1139 on: March 19, 2015, 01:40:04 PM

For Fuck's Snakes

Article is amusing, comments are gold.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1140 on: March 20, 2015, 11:55:06 AM

Tourney time! If Kentucky loses, about half the nation will be shocked and their brackets done.

Something like 99% of brackets were busted after *two games* this time.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1141 on: March 20, 2015, 12:41:51 PM

Something like 99% of brackets were busted after *two games* this time.

That's why these things are won by people who pick based on colors.

WayAbvPar

Reply #1142 on: March 20, 2015, 01:55:01 PM

Hey now, Kentucky stopped doing that in the 60s!

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1143 on: March 20, 2015, 02:30:43 PM

Well, they stopped TELLING people they did it.  why so serious?

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #1144 on: March 21, 2015, 10:31:44 PM

Was watching the Utes gymnasts in the Pac-12 championship (ya, so what, you wanna fight about it?).  Senior on her final routine on the floor ruptures her Achilles on a take off and breaks both feet on the landing.  They helpfully showed it in slo-mo. Was Theismann levels of brain scarring.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1145 on: March 22, 2015, 06:24:08 AM

That's God punishing you for watching gymnastics.  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
WayAbvPar

Reply #1146 on: March 22, 2015, 03:09:11 PM

Was watching the Utes gymnasts in the Pac-12 championship (ya, so what, you wanna fight about it?).  Senior on her final routine on the floor ruptures her Achilles on a take off and breaks both feet on the landing.  They helpfully showed it in slo-mo. Was Theismann levels of brain scarring.

This is why you are supposed to keep your eyes on the butts at all times.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1147 on: March 23, 2015, 06:40:36 AM

Sort of sad how little the tournament generates talk lately. I remember when it used to be a full thread. Now we barely care enough to banter about upsets in random sports.

Which is really a statement on how bad the sport is to watch now. After watching NBA, the talent level decrease and offensive decrease in college basketball over the last decade is just silly.

WayAbvPar

Reply #1148 on: March 23, 2015, 10:10:30 AM

This used to be my favorite time of year. One and done ruling destroying any continuity (and thus any interesting rivalries/storylines) coupled with the huge downswing in the quality of UW's teams has driven me to give exactly zero fucks about the tournament. I literally have not watched a second, which makes me sad.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1149 on: March 24, 2015, 12:55:03 PM

Nobody I knew was doing any sort of bracket pool, so my general disinterest in college athletics and basketball took over.

WayAbvPar

Reply #1150 on: March 24, 2015, 01:41:35 PM

My wife is in a couple of pools at work. She is one of 4 people left with an intact Final Four still  awesome, for real

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #1151 on: March 27, 2015, 08:30:29 AM

Screw Basketball, we are doing a Frozen Four pool here at work. 3 MA boys and an Australian, go figure.

MN State Mankato baby!

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1152 on: March 27, 2015, 09:50:29 AM

On we go.  Now to see if we can beat the best squad of white guys the college basketball world can offer.

-Rasix
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1153 on: March 28, 2015, 06:19:21 PM

If I'm an Arizona fan I'm furious about the way that game ended. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #1154 on: March 29, 2015, 02:25:00 PM

Australia wins the Cricket World Cup with a slaughter of nz in the final.  With this, and the win in in the Asia cup we just need to win the Rugby World Cup to complete the trifecta in sports Americans don't care about  why so serious?

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 40 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Random Sports Discussion  
Jump to: