Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:27:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Random Sports Discussion 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Random Sports Discussion  (Read 329617 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1050 on: July 25, 2013, 11:52:19 AM

I knew caddies when I worked at East Lake that were on HGH so they could do two rounds a day with double-bags.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1051 on: July 25, 2013, 11:55:38 AM

Problem is that without drugs we would be back to the "boring" levels seen in the 50s. Breaking records and stuff sells eyes on TV sets. 10+ seconds sprints don't. Thats also why they basically keep Serena Williams doing it, because she is the only star they have left in Tennis.

Hic sunt dracones.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1052 on: July 25, 2013, 12:00:10 PM

Right now they are so obsessed in the NFL with concussions, and they want to implement all these measures about restricting hits, and penalties, and fines, and player practices.

What they aren't focused on is the other part of the solution. These guys are running into each other at freak speeds with freak weights because they are on freak drug regimens. Cut the drugs, and suddenly you have less force to create brutal hits.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1053 on: July 25, 2013, 12:09:33 PM

But cut the brutal hits and you may cut into the interest level of fans....
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1054 on: July 25, 2013, 12:12:55 PM

Football is going to end up as a regional sport in our lifetimes either way. Once a few kids start showing problems from playing football the dominos will start tumbling, highschools start getting sued and dropping their programs followed by ivy league schools and you'll end up with football only being played in places like Texas and Florida.  Change is never going to start at the NFL level, to most people those are grown ass men making millions and if they have to take a few bumps on the head so be it.

I am the .00000001428%
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1055 on: July 25, 2013, 12:15:44 PM

I'm a bit surprised that we haven't seen more deaths/paralyzations in Texas High School football.  That may be what it takes to get any changes to the sport.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1056 on: July 25, 2013, 12:17:54 PM

I have patients that are lucky to weigh 200 pounds playing D and O line down here in Texas.  It shocks me to know these kids are going up against some of these 300 pound monsters and living to tell the tale. 
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1057 on: July 25, 2013, 12:22:18 PM

I have patients that are lucky to weigh 200 pounds playing D and O line down here in Texas.  It shocks me to know these kids are going up against some of these 300 pound monsters and living to tell the tale. 

My senior year of high school (in Minneapolis) I was 200lbs and played safety.  Only the cornerbacks were smaller than me on the starting defense.  I fear to think what a contending team is like in TX.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1058 on: July 25, 2013, 12:24:07 PM

I can assure you Georgia football is no safer or better in that regard, and I grew up in a Texas highschool.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1059 on: July 25, 2013, 01:05:47 PM

I've got a couple of kids that I treat that are just monsters-  at 250 or so pounds.  They aren't even the big kids.  You just know a fair number of these high school kids are juicing. 
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1060 on: July 25, 2013, 11:24:42 PM

Good article.  Explained a few things I didn't really know, at least about the Olympic testing.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1061 on: July 31, 2013, 01:45:51 PM

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9525249/appellate-court-rules-ea-sports-sam-keller-case

Electronic Arts lost an appeal Wednesday in a case over its college football video game when a federal court dismissed arguments the company had made in hopes of justifying its use of an athlete's likeness without permission.

The appellate court affirmed a decision of a U.S. District Court that EA Sports could not use a First Amendment defense to protect it against the rights of publicity claims filed by former Arizona State and Nebraska quarterback Sam Keller.

A panel of judges on the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals in California voted 2-1 that EA was not protected by free speech because the company created the the likeness of Keller "in the very setting in which he has achieved renown."

"Given that NCAA football realistically portrays college football players in the context of college football games, the district court was correct in concluding that EA cannot prevail," Judge Jay S. Bybee wrote in the decision.

Closer and closer...

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1062 on: July 31, 2013, 01:59:45 PM

Heart Heart Heart

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1063 on: July 31, 2013, 02:09:35 PM

That's a big deal. 
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1064 on: August 01, 2013, 06:45:33 PM

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9525249/appellate-court-rules-ea-sports-sam-keller-case

Electronic Arts lost an appeal Wednesday in a case over its college football video game when a federal court dismissed arguments the company had made in hopes of justifying its use of an athlete's likeness without permission.

The appellate court affirmed a decision of a U.S. District Court that EA Sports could not use a First Amendment defense to protect it against the rights of publicity claims filed by former Arizona State and Nebraska quarterback Sam Keller.

A panel of judges on the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals in California voted 2-1 that EA was not protected by free speech because the company created the the likeness of Keller "in the very setting in which he has achieved renown."

"Given that NCAA football realistically portrays college football players in the context of college football games, the district court was correct in concluding that EA cannot prevail," Judge Jay S. Bybee wrote in the decision.

Closer and closer...

Love Letters

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
WayAbvPar

Reply #1065 on: August 02, 2013, 03:36:40 PM

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #1066 on: August 02, 2013, 04:43:53 PM

What the fuck is Madrid doing trying to get Bale? They are so full at midfield even if they move CR7 to forward and trade Di Maria and sell Modric back to England AND they play in the xmas tree formation with 5 MF types.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1067 on: August 02, 2013, 10:41:26 PM

Real Madrid are trying to make sure they own every big name player on the fucking planet. Hell, they'd be better of spending half the money being mooted for Bale and buying Suarez off of Liverpool than getting yet ANOTHER playmaking midfielder. They already have Ronaldo AND Osil and both are the same type of free-floating scoring creative player as Bale.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #1068 on: August 03, 2013, 01:41:28 PM

Suarez has no place on RM, just can't see him playing on a all star side like that. I guess they just can't bring themselves to lodge a $50mil+ bid for some top defender so Bale it is.

If they weren't a Spanish side it sure seems like Rooney would fit decently since he tracks back more than most of their attacking players do. But why not just outbid everyone for Cavani if they knew they were going to pay 80mil on something this offseason?

Arsenal going after Suarez is puzzling to me as well, after all these years of not buying players at the peak of their hype they are buying one who is also a total shithead?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 01:43:13 PM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1069 on: August 03, 2013, 10:30:48 PM

Suarez has no place on RM, just can't see him playing on a all star side like that. I guess they just can't bring themselves to lodge a $50mil+ bid for some top defender so Bale it is.

How would one of the world's top strikers and creative players NOT fit on Real Madrid now that they got rid of Higuain? Suarez can play up top or floating behind another main striker, and is a better fit for that side than Bale would be - so long as nobody slathers BBQ sauce on the opposing defenders.

Arsenal going after Suarez is puzzling to me as well, after all these years of not buying players at the peak of their hype they are buying one who is also a total shithead?

This is the same Arsenal side that doesn't have a striker worth a shit since they let Van Persie go? Again, why wouldn't they want a guy who scored 30 goals despite missing the last few games? Yes, he's a shithead, but he's a shithead who scores goals and creates chances for other players. The real question there is why Arsenal thinks Liverpool would sell to them?

WayAbvPar

Reply #1070 on: August 05, 2013, 11:36:24 AM

Interesting article about how the Dempsey signing came about. I didn't realize the league was so heavily involved. Which makes the butthurt strong in non-Seattle MLS cities  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1071 on: August 05, 2013, 11:38:47 AM

I'm not sure the interest level is enough for there to be any butt hurt involved.  This was an interesting move by Dempsey though.  It could be quite lucrative for him if he plays his cards right.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #1072 on: August 05, 2013, 07:28:47 PM

-William Gibson
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1073 on: August 05, 2013, 07:47:56 PM

"How many countries are in this country?"

Win.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1074 on: August 08, 2013, 08:53:40 AM

Huh.  This is an interesting chart showing how much the biggest names in golf have earned in their major wins over their careers. 

I think it's a good indication of how money has infested our lives to see that Nicklaus earned $650k for his major victories, total, while Tiger Woods has earned over $14 million. 
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1075 on: August 08, 2013, 10:38:00 AM

Does that take into consideration rate of inflation?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1076 on: August 08, 2013, 10:42:36 AM

Walter Hagen was the guy who made all that possible. He started the revolution of golf as a money-maker, instead of just an amateur pursuit. He was famous for saying, "I don't want to be a millionaire, I just want to live like one." and also, "My game was my business and as a business it demanded constant playing in the championship bracket, for a current title was my selling commodity."

I think too many pros today just want to be millionaires, and actually winning isn't that important to them as finishing high with good endorsements.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1077 on: August 08, 2013, 11:29:10 AM

Walter Hagen was the guy who made all that possible. He started the revolution of golf as a money-maker, instead of just an amateur pursuit. He was famous for saying, "I don't want to be a millionaire, I just want to live like one." and also, "My game was my business and as a business it demanded constant playing in the championship bracket, for a current title was my selling commodity."

I think too many pros today just want to be millionaires, and actually winning isn't that important to them as finishing high with good endorsements.

I think this is probably in evidence in all walks of life, these days.  Bankers don't want to be good bankers any more, they just want to be rich.  Doctors don't want to be good doctors any more, they just want to be rich.  It's an epidemic of greed. 

Does that take into consideration rate of inflation?

Clearly no.  
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1078 on: November 05, 2013, 12:04:35 PM

http://www.youtube.com/v/NH-Z3WFVxUw

This is some crazy shit, here.   awesome, for real
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #1079 on: November 05, 2013, 12:32:59 PM

One needs to win tournaments to get good endorsements.

I am stunned that Phil M has earned 10x in 5 wins what Jack earned in 18 wins.  I didn't realize how lame the purses were 30 years ago.

I have never played WoW.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1080 on: November 05, 2013, 12:39:22 PM

Why do you think Jack Nicklaus put his name on anything and everything?
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1081 on: March 13, 2014, 04:47:52 PM

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
WayAbvPar

Reply #1082 on: March 13, 2014, 05:14:56 PM

Holy shit that is pretty amazing.

Fox Sports 1 had a piece on the Mavericks and the Invitational there earlier this week...those guys are fucking INSANE. 50 foot waves and great white sharks? Yeah, I think I will pass.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #1083 on: March 14, 2014, 04:36:09 AM

pfft used to pull off those in California games all the time.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1084 on: July 02, 2014, 10:07:22 AM

Not that I watch tennis much, but I'm glad to see Eugenie Bouchard make it to the Wimbledon semi finals.  Partly because she's Canadian, and partly because I  Heart her.  She is absolutely beautiful.  Like Anna Kournikova but with an actual tennis game.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 40 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Random Sports Discussion  
Jump to: