Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:58:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Random Sports Discussion 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Random Sports Discussion  (Read 329566 times)
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #910 on: April 24, 2013, 06:17:31 PM

Germany: 8, Spain:1

I can't even remember the last time both of La Liga's premier football clubs got steamrolled like this let alone in the same week.

I'm really looking forward to the UK coverage of an all German Champions League final at Wembley. Maybe we should start putting towels on the seats at Wembley.

Great performances by both Munich and Dortmund.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #911 on: April 24, 2013, 08:18:24 PM

Yeah I don't think anyone quite saw that coming.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #912 on: April 25, 2013, 06:46:25 AM

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #913 on: April 25, 2013, 09:26:20 AM

Dortmund is a really good team, and I'm glad they shellacked Mourinho's Real team. Both Barca and Real seem to be kind of shaky underneath their success. I think if they hadn't spent the last 5 years buying up every single Spanish star of note and robbing the other teams for it, on top of all the foreign top players they've bought in, La Liga might be more competitive at the top than it has been in that time frame. The Bundeslia has been a real fight the previous two years, but now it looks like Bayern is set for a Barca-like run for the next few years there as well. Buy up all the goddamn talent in the league and win by 20+ points. But at least they don't have the same 4 teams taking the top 4 places every year like the EPL used to until Sheik money bought last year's title.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #914 on: April 25, 2013, 05:02:56 PM

Bayern has been doing that for twenty years now and I'd say that hasn't worked out that well. They bought their fair share of ineffective players or duds and they could never convert their budgetary advantage into a lasting dominance of the Bundesliga. Dortmund won the Championship twice in a row on a much smaller player budget and with a rooster that only cost them €30 million.

I'd say it has more to do with Matthias Sammer replacing Christian Nerlinger as director responsible for scouting and recruitment of players. He had a hand in all hirings this season and also with Heynkes who formed that team. I wonder if Gardiola can repeat that feat next year.

Dortmunds streak is more impressive though because it was achived on a much smaller budget and by much better talent scouting. Otherwise Bayern would have hired Götze or Levandowski before they were playing for Dortmund.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #915 on: April 25, 2013, 06:53:22 PM

Dortmunds streak is more impressive though because it was achived on a much smaller budget and by much better talent scouting.

Absolutely. They are also a helluva lot more fun to watch. I don't think Gardiola is going to be that great at Bayern personally. His accomplishments were making sure that a team of all-star world class players didn't implode on bad chemistry. It shouldn't have been hard to be that good with Barcelona.

Llyse
Terracotta Army

Calvin and Hobbes are back to maul the fuck outta you.

Reply #916 on: May 08, 2013, 02:54:40 AM

It's a bit late now, but Sir Alex Ferguson has announced his retirement!!  ACK!

I don't remember anyone else managing Manchester United...  Heartbreak
WayAbvPar

Reply #917 on: May 08, 2013, 09:20:24 AM

Hope Mourinho takes over.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #918 on: May 08, 2013, 10:12:44 AM

Mourinho seems to be destined to go to Chelsea again if all the rumors are to be believed. I'd rather see David Moyes get in there - he's done amazing work with almost no budget at Everton. Plus, that would weaken Everton.  awesome, for real

WayAbvPar

Reply #919 on: May 08, 2013, 10:31:28 AM

I could live with Moyes. He could be there quite a while if he has success.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #920 on: May 08, 2013, 01:15:02 PM

I just love all of the hypocrisy involved with this.  Michigan AD says "the door is open" do Webber and the Fab Five

Michigan is a pile of turds for cheating their way to the final four and then basically shooing them out the door.  Rose, Webber and Howard, et. al., are piles of turds for taking all that money and then acting like everything was the U of Michigan's fault.  Ah, college sports is seriously fucked up. 
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #921 on: May 08, 2013, 01:32:09 PM

I would have taken the money too. It's not illegal.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #922 on: May 08, 2013, 02:37:46 PM

That's not the point.  Most of us would have.  The point is that the NCAA, Michigan and the players are all hypcritical, greedy douchebags. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #923 on: May 08, 2013, 03:19:53 PM

That's not the point.  Most of us would have.  The point is that the NCAA, Michigan and the players are all hypcritical, greedy douchebags. 

It's kind of hard for us to be shocked at the hypocrisy of the NCAA and it's schools at this point. I love UGA, but I don't for a second believe we run a clean program, nor do I believe our boosters stay out of things, nor do I believe the AD wouldn't sell the fans down the river the for an extra $5M a year.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #924 on: May 08, 2013, 03:22:43 PM

Well, at least you have Mikey Adams, the bastion of all that is good and right in the academic world.   awesome, for real
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #925 on: May 08, 2013, 03:25:27 PM

Not for long!

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #926 on: May 08, 2013, 03:37:03 PM

Is he getting run out of town?
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #927 on: May 08, 2013, 03:46:31 PM

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #928 on: May 09, 2013, 01:36:51 PM

Mourinho seems to be destined to go to Chelsea again if all the rumors are to be believed. I'd rather see David Moyes get in there - he's done amazing work with almost no budget at Everton. Plus, that would weaken Everton.  awesome, for real

As you wish...

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/51830676/ns/sports-soccer/

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #929 on: May 09, 2013, 01:47:36 PM

Yep. No big shock there and absolutely the right man for the job.

There's talk of Martinez or Laudrup for the vacant Everton position. It would be funny to see Martinez abandon the sinking Wigan ship to go to Everton after Liverpool chose Rodgers over him last year.

Also, in older news but still related - NBC won the rights to broadcast the EPL in America by paying almost 4 times as much as the Fox/ESPN group were willing to pay. Meaning I'll finally get the EPL in HD again as the games will be on NBC Sports Network as well as I think some NBC games.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #930 on: May 09, 2013, 02:06:41 PM

Yep. No big shock there and absolutely the right man for the job.

There's talk of Martinez or Laudrup for the vacant Everton position. It would be funny to see Martinez abandon the sinking Wigan ship to go to Everton after Liverpool chose Rodgers over him last year.

Also, in older news but still related - NBC won the rights to broadcast the EPL in America by paying almost 4 times as much as the Fox/ESPN group were willing to pay. Meaning I'll finally get the EPL in HD again as the games will be on NBC Sports Network as well as I think some NBC games.

Nice, will we get more than one game a week?

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #931 on: May 09, 2013, 03:10:17 PM

All you need to know about the deal.

Apparently, 6 games a weekend live on NBC Sports Network or NBC, with the remaining four on a kind of Red Zone like package available to providers. Also, all will be streamed on NBC Sports Live Extra service if your provider has that. The 12:30 EST Saturday game will be on NBC.

EDIT: Also, some misconceptions about the coverage, including who gets the streaming and Red Zone like package.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 03:13:54 PM by HaemishM »

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #932 on: May 12, 2013, 07:07:23 AM

Sergio Garcia is such a whiney piece of shit.  Just play golf, dickbag. 
Terracotta Army

Reply #933 on: May 12, 2013, 01:00:19 PM

Never understood that part of golf. If you can't hit the ball with some kinda slight distractions going on around you, then why play?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #934 on: May 12, 2013, 03:43:48 PM

Never understood that part of golf. If you can't hit the ball with some kinda slight distractions going on around you, then why play?

It's meaningless. Sergio wasn't complaining about it because of the noise. He was complaining because he hates Tiger, and he hit a bad shot. Sergio loves to blame everyone but himself, but after the end of this round, he's proving why he isn't fit to carry Tiger's jock.

Choke-artist.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #935 on: May 13, 2013, 07:58:15 AM

[urlhttp://blogs.golf.com/presstent/2013/05/sergio-garcias-most-memorable-meltdowns.html?eref=sihp]Here's a nice group of videos[/url] showing what a complete assbag Sergio Garcia is.

They are worth watching.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #936 on: May 13, 2013, 08:25:52 AM

It's meaningless. Sergio wasn't complaining about it because of the noise. He was complaining because he hates Tiger, and he hit a bad shot. Sergio loves to blame everyone but himself, but after the end of this round, he's proving why he isn't fit to carry Tiger's jock.

Choke-artist.
Husband and I were just laughing our heads off at Sergio's play on the 16th and 17th holes yesterday.  A quad-bogey?  That was freaking priceless.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #937 on: May 13, 2013, 09:21:02 AM

I never knew Sergio could channel Greg Norman so well. 

Tiger wins by virtue of the fact that he didn't choke when everyone around him did.  Go Tiger?!?!

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
WayAbvPar

Reply #938 on: May 13, 2013, 09:26:52 AM

That is how he wins about 75% of his titles. Occasionally he just steamrolls everyone (like the 97 Masters), but most often he just hangs around and makes less mistakes.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #939 on: May 13, 2013, 10:18:49 AM

That is how he wins about 75% of his titles. Occasionally he just steamrolls everyone (like the 97 Masters), but most often he just hangs around and makes less mistakes.

That's essentially it. The course was brutal yesterday, mostly because I think the wind was up, and the groundscrew got extremely butthurt about the pre-cut totals. They were moving pin positions to places they'd never used on that course.

Tiger isn't dumb enough to take stupid chances. It's that mentality that he can capitalize on his good shots, rather than chase, that keeps him in leads.

Terracotta Army

Reply #940 on: May 16, 2013, 04:08:02 PM

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/story/_/id/9283240/retired-driver-dick-trickle-dead-apparent-self-inflicted-gun-shot-wound

The man with THE name in NASCAR takes his own life @ 71 years old. I am a bit stunned...

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #941 on: May 16, 2013, 04:43:25 PM

It's very shocking. There had to be something wrong. He must have either found out he was dying or just mentally lost it.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #942 on: May 16, 2013, 07:19:07 PM

Oh yeah, in who cares News, The most overhyped Player ever to kick a ball to the opposition rather than be tackled and ruin his beautiful skinl resigned today. I'd give a link but David Becham's personality is so fucking boring I fell asleep reaching for the CTRL+C keys.

Hic sunt dracones.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #943 on: May 17, 2013, 07:33:58 AM

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/story/_/id/9283240/retired-driver-dick-trickle-dead-apparent-self-inflicted-gun-shot-wound

The man with THE name in NASCAR takes his own life @ 71 years old. I am a bit stunned...
I haven't read this yet, but the husband was digging more last night after I mentioned this to him.  Apparently Trickle is the step-father? of a driver in the truck series.  No biggie, right?

Except that the truck driver was under arrest for stealing another driver's entire transport vehicle - tools, truck, gear, everything - the entire semi - because he had an on-track beef with the (female, I think) driver whose transport was stolen. So now I guess there's some speculation if the theft and suicide are somehow related. I told the husband I couldn't imagine so, because while it's embarrassing to be related in any way to someone who would do something that stupid (steal another driver's transport vehicle), it can't be worth killing yourself over.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #944 on: May 17, 2013, 07:36:07 AM

The guy's name was Dick Trickle?  Dick.  Trickle.  It's amazing he lasted that long.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 40 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Random Sports Discussion  
Jump to: