Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:49:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Random Sports Discussion 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Random Sports Discussion  (Read 329570 times)
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #840 on: January 23, 2013, 05:07:54 PM

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/23/miami-noa-delayed-as-ncaa-investigates-itself/related/

In a press release, the NCAA announced that its “national office has uncovered an issue of improper conduct within its enforcement program that occurred during the University of Miami investigation.”  In other words, the NCAA violated NCAA bylaws in its investigation of an NCAA member.

ACK! why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #841 on: January 24, 2013, 06:58:01 AM

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8875990/lawyer-ronaiah-tuiasosopo-was-voice-talking-manti-teo

He's gay. This only reinforces my belief. He and Ronaiah had a relationship and now they are trying to cover their tracks.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #842 on: January 24, 2013, 09:53:57 AM

I guess it's possible.  I'm  sure any decent investigation would show that the two were in cahoots, which might lend credence to that possibility.  Not that I give two shits, but that might hurt his draft status more than anything else that's happened considering all the douchenozzle reactions you'd see from other players.
Terracotta Army

Reply #843 on: January 24, 2013, 10:40:57 AM

I guess it's possible.  I'm  sure any decent investigation would show that the two were in cahoots, which might lend credence to that possibility.  Not that I give two shits, but that might hurt his draft status more than anything else that's happened considering all the douchenozzle reactions you'd see from other players.

Draft status nothing. Coming out pretty much kills your career chances in the NFL... as sad as that is to say. So yeah, there are HUGE reasons to spin this in the "I was dumb and deceived" light rather than what it is looking like.

Then again, who knows. Maybe this guy is the one who starts to change the NFL anti-gay culture. *shrug

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #844 on: January 24, 2013, 01:31:56 PM

Draft status nothing. Coming out pretty much kills your career chances in the NFL... as sad as that is to say.

Not being snarky, just wondering what evidence you have to back up that statement. I realize the general culture and all but I'm thinking in 2013 if you came out you are more likely to be applauded than booed. Also imagine if any of your prospective team mates made anti-gay comments the PR backlash would be huge. I think a guy like that has more of chance to be this generations Jackie Robinson than a pariah.    Also I bet the Patriots would draft him  if he was good enough.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #845 on: January 24, 2013, 01:39:13 PM

Draft status nothing. Coming out pretty much kills your career chances in the NFL... as sad as that is to say.

Not being snarky, just wondering what evidence you have to back up that statement. I realize the general culture and all but I'm thinking in 2013 if you came out you are more likely to be applauded than booed. Also imagine if any of your prospective team mates made anti-gay comments the PR backlash would be huge. I think a guy like that has more of chance to be this generations Jackie Robinson than a pariah.    Also I bet the Patriots would draft him  if he was good enough.

What evidence? Other than decades and decades of gay players being ostracized and treated badly by their teammates, from youth leagues on up? This is not a controversial statement, there are very few jobs in the country where being gay would cause you as many problems in the workplace as (men's) team sports.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #846 on: January 24, 2013, 01:44:58 PM

There's a reason these guys wait until after they are retired to come out of the closet. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #847 on: January 24, 2013, 01:57:57 PM

Read the Jason Taylor article about the shit he did to get in the field. Apply that same macho attitude of "I'm playing Hell or High water" to guys that want to intimidate their opponent on the field. Apply massive doses of HGH. Mix liberally. Then tell me how easy it would be for someone to come out of the closet while playing in the NFL.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #848 on: January 24, 2013, 02:05:17 PM

Which is funny because you'd have to imagine that athletes have the same ~4% rate of homosexuality that the rest of society has. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #849 on: January 24, 2013, 02:07:17 PM

Which is funny because you'd have to imagine that athletes have the same ~4% rate of homosexuality that the rest of society has. 

And there are absolutely gay athletes. They just fear reprisals.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #850 on: January 24, 2013, 02:12:57 PM

Well, not necessarily. You can assume that a fairly large chunk of gay people* are weeded out of the game by hazing or bullying or just the general anti-gay culture at lower levels, which would naturally leave professional level athletes with a lower percentage. And of course, a high degree of 'hell NO I'm not going to come out, I saw what happened to the other guys who did/got found out.'

*Gay men, anyway. My non-scientific anecdotal observation is that team athletics actually attract MORE lesbians than are in the general population as a percentage, probably because women athletes get the same 'you are being unladylike, stop it' treatment from society that lesbians do a lot of the time, so it becomes a way for them to blend in, find each other, and just generally have a positive group experience that they probably get shut out of in other contexts a lot. Note: I could be talking out of my ass here, but it seems to make sense.

Terracotta Army

Reply #851 on: January 24, 2013, 02:48:11 PM

*Gay men, anyway. My non-scientific anecdotal observation is that team athletics actually attract MORE lesbians than are in the general population as a percentage, probably because women athletes get the same 'you are being unladylike, stop it' treatment from society that lesbians do a lot of the time, so it becomes a way for them to blend in, find each other, and just generally have a positive group experience that they probably get shut out of in other contexts a lot. Note: I could be talking out of my ass here, but it seems to make sense.

Having gone to the women's superbowl back in August, and hanging out with those girls on several teams... this is not that far off.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #852 on: January 24, 2013, 04:39:20 PM

There certainly would be some self-selection bias in the groups of athletes that you wouldn't find in a random population, but to think that there aren't gay NFL players just because they aren't outed is unlikely.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #853 on: January 24, 2013, 04:44:17 PM

Oh certainly, I wasn't intending to imply there weren't.

WayAbvPar

Reply #854 on: January 24, 2013, 04:45:06 PM

32 kickers- good place to start  awesome, for real

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #855 on: January 24, 2013, 04:54:27 PM

32 kickers- good place to start  awesome, for real

Also, punters.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #856 on: January 24, 2013, 05:05:35 PM

If my gay friends are any indication, I would say the ones who put shirtless pictures of themselves up everywhere on the Internet that they can find an excuse to would be the best starting place.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #857 on: January 24, 2013, 05:27:33 PM

Well, not necessarily. You can assume that a fairly large chunk of gay people* are weeded out of the game by hazing or bullying or just the general anti-gay culture at lower levels, which would naturally leave professional level athletes with a lower percentage. And of course, a high degree of 'hell NO I'm not going to come out, I saw what happened to the other guys who did/got found out.'

Yeah, I don't assume that at all.  Why?  Because most of my gay friends are accustomed to being hazed and bullied if they're out or are afraid of being hazed and bullied if they aren't in respect to all aspects of life.  It's still pretty tough being gay.  And because of that I assume that there are plenty of athletes in the big leagues that have kept it hidden just like everyone else. 
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #858 on: January 24, 2013, 05:31:39 PM

OK, sure, the % of any given sub-group is going to be the same in any and all walks of life, regardless of external circumstances or pressures.  Ohhhhh, I see.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #859 on: January 24, 2013, 06:26:09 PM

OK, sure, the % of any given sub-group is going to be the same in any and all walks of life, regardless of external circumstances or pressures.  Ohhhhh, I see.

You're stereotyping and have no real evidence to contradict known statistical figures.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #860 on: January 24, 2013, 10:48:36 PM

Except that what he is saying makes perfect sense, both in regards to male and female sports. 

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #861 on: January 25, 2013, 07:55:40 AM

You're stereotyping and have no real evidence to contradict known statistical figures.

Aren't we all kind of stereotyping based on being straight males AND having no statistical figures to draw any conclusions from?

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #862 on: January 25, 2013, 07:58:30 AM

Yep everyone is just guessing and pulling figures out of their asses.

It's statistical ass-play.  awesome, for real

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #863 on: January 25, 2013, 08:06:09 AM

That's the only kind accountants can get into.  Rimshot

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #864 on: January 25, 2013, 08:10:49 AM

We Excel at it.

wink

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #865 on: January 25, 2013, 08:17:01 AM

beer geek.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #866 on: January 25, 2013, 11:00:45 AM

Aren't we all kind of stereotyping based on being straight males AND having no statistical figures to draw any conclusions from?

No.

We're speculating. And at least in my case, extrapolating from how I've seen gay people treated in group environments allegedly much more accepting than sports (music, gaming, even theater sometimes), and the sort of way I've seen non-gay (but also non-athlete) people treated by athletes in a group environment. I'm very comfortable with the hypothesis I've reached.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #867 on: January 30, 2013, 11:43:46 PM

Just because it is topical to the recent discussion...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--report--niners-cb-says-openly-gay-players-would-not-be-welcomed-on-the-team-190346715.html

He rescinded the comment, but I don't for a nanosecond believe that his apology was earnest.  He was simply forced to do it by his team.  I would imagine his viewpoint is a common one in the NFL, though we will never know for sure, and thankfully most of them will be smart enough to keep it to themselves.  I think what we can all agree on is that this guy is a fucking dick and a total idiot.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #868 on: January 30, 2013, 11:45:48 PM

Also nearly guaranteed to be looking for a new team soon, I expect.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #869 on: January 31, 2013, 06:44:11 AM

It is common. That's why guys like Teo have to lie their asses off so their relationships never come out while they can still play.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #870 on: January 31, 2013, 11:16:11 AM

The particular market he plays in combined with the fact that he's not a starter but could have been in line for a starting job in the future if he kept his mouth shut adds a couple extra magnitudes of moron onto this particular incident.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #871 on: January 31, 2013, 11:25:46 AM

The particular market he plays in combined with the fact that he's not a starter but could have been in line for a starting job in the future if he kept his mouth shut adds a couple extra magnitudes of moron onto this particular incident.

Yeah SF, Miami, Atlanta, NYC, Houston, Seattle, Boston. The comments wouldn't do well in those markets.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #872 on: February 04, 2013, 07:56:20 AM

European sport is a cesspool of cheating and lack of integrity.

Top level European football matches under investigation for being fixed

A total of 380 games in Europe -- including World Cup and European Championship qualifiers -- have been deemed suspicious, with 425 match and club officials and criminals involved from 15 different countries.

I have a suspicion that PEDs are probably rampant in the football leagues across the world.  It's tough to see what is going on with cycling and American baseball and think that it wouldn't be, what with all the money that is at stake. 
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #873 on: February 04, 2013, 08:05:41 AM

sport is a cesspool of cheating and lack of integrity.

fify.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #874 on: February 04, 2013, 09:39:51 AM

European sport is a cesspool of cheating and lack of integrity.

Top level European football matches under investigation for being fixed

A total of 380 games in Europe -- including World Cup and European Championship qualifiers -- have been deemed suspicious, with 425 match and club officials and criminals involved from 15 different countries.

Hell, after the 2006 World Cup, three Italian club teams, and I mean TOP LEVEL teams like Juventus, were punished by their FA for match-fixing scandals. Juventus even ended up getting relegated to the second division for it, though they were back in the Serie A a season later having won promotion easily. So... not shocking.

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 40 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Random Sports Discussion  
Jump to: