Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:13:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Random Sports Discussion 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Random Sports Discussion  (Read 329619 times)
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #770 on: November 20, 2012, 07:42:33 PM

This is just bonkers.  Some D3 basketball player for Grinnell scored 138 points in a single game. 
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #771 on: November 20, 2012, 07:44:04 PM

Faith Baptist really doesn't play much D, do they?  why so serious?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #772 on: November 20, 2012, 08:18:08 PM

That's 4 points per minute, which with the shot clock is crazy.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #773 on: December 13, 2012, 05:56:20 AM

It sounds as if the 7 Catholic schools in the Big East are going to bolt, which basically means the conference will fold whether they vote for dissolution or not.  Once you have the big names like St. Johns, Seton Hall, Providence, Georgetown and DePaul leaving that will decimate the conference.  This won't affect the football landscape much, I don't think, as Connecticut is probably the only remaining Big East school that has any bit of attractiveness to the football power conferences.  I could actually see UConn in the Big Ten. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #774 on: December 13, 2012, 06:31:49 AM

I can understand why the basketball schools got pissed. They Big East is trying to still pretend it's a football conference instead of actually just letting that go and focusing on the one thing that's a revenue generator left.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #775 on: December 13, 2012, 06:47:31 PM

The Big East was doomed to fail when half of its big name schools were basketball only. 
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #776 on: December 14, 2012, 05:56:07 AM

Sounds like they are planning a Catholic conference, bringing in such schools as Xavier, Dayton, St. Mary's, etc.  Should be a great basketball conference, and there's nothing wrong with that at all.
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #777 on: December 14, 2012, 06:00:37 AM

Bigger dumpsterfire disappointment:  L.A. Lakers or Big East conference?

DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #778 on: December 14, 2012, 06:51:25 AM

Bigger dumpsterfire disappointment:  L.A. Lakers or Big East conference?

DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

Hah, it's still the Lakers, everyone KNEW the Big East was bound to implode when they lost the AQ and it went to a playoff.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #779 on: December 15, 2012, 12:27:34 PM

And there's a fair chance that the Lakers will rebound.  That was never going to happen with the Big East. 
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #780 on: December 18, 2012, 08:37:45 PM

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #781 on: December 19, 2012, 04:43:13 PM

So what's the deal with the hockey strike? Is that getting resolved or are they just going to fold up the league?

cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #782 on: December 20, 2012, 05:29:07 AM

So what's the deal with the hockey strike? Is that getting resolved or are they just going to fold up the league?

TL;DR:  Owners want 50/50 instead of 57/43 or whatever it is now.  Players said okay, but we're not taking pay cuts or salary rollbacks (a.k.a. I make 1m, now I make 700k for the rest of my contract) because HI YOU SIGNED THIS AGREEMENT.

Owners said fuck you.  Players said yes, yes fuck you too.  No season.  I'd be surprised if we saw anything in 2013 to be honest.

Look for KHL on TV in the US by 2014.   awesome, for real

(P.S., I am a die-hard hockey fan who wanted to buy season tickets this year for the first time.  Fucking owners.)

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #783 on: December 20, 2012, 05:51:54 AM

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #784 on: December 20, 2012, 06:30:34 AM

(P.S., I am a die-hard hockey fan who wanted to buy season tickets this year for the first time.  Fucking owners.)

Ok, were the teams making money? It seems to me the product had suffered a ton lately with the move off ESPN to the shit networks. If it's in a revenue crunch, I can see why the owners can't afford to keep player salaries where they are, signed or not.

cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #785 on: December 20, 2012, 07:25:54 AM

Ok, were the teams making money? It seems to me the product had suffered a ton lately with the move off ESPN to the shit networks. If it's in a revenue crunch, I can see why the owners can't afford to keep player salaries where they are, signed or not.

Sortof.  While profit-sharing was in place, traditionally successful teams were doing great:  NJ, DET, SJ, MTL, BOS, etc.  Smaller-market teams were struggling:  PHX, ATL (moved), and even MIN were struggling.  It's akin to the NBA where the league probably needed to contract two teams.  This left middle-market teams such as FLA, TB, and CAR in the lurch.

It's my understanding that owners aren't crazy about some teams making a hell of a lot more money than others when they all play in the same league (teams like PHX barely broke even, iirc).  So, they want more of a chunk of the profit sharing so they can also turn a profit instead of scraping by.

The big sticking point so far has been the salary rollback thing.  They would've been in agreement if the owners would've caved to it, but they didn't.  Shit, they would've saved the winter classic.  But, owners want to make money now, not in three to five years as expensive contracts are renegotiated.

(My primary source other than the web is Chris Dingman on 98.7 FM in TB.  He is very involved with hockey still and has an ear to the ground in the union talks, moreso than others because he was teammates with some of the players still on the squad.)

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #786 on: December 20, 2012, 08:56:03 AM

The NHL lost me after that first fucking lockout/lost season. I just have never been able to be a steady fan after that. I'm sure I'm not the only one. Losing the ESPN contract because they expected big dollars coming off a lost season compounded the problems. Now they lock themselves out again? Fuck the NHL. These bastards are too greedy to live. By the time they get shit worked out, the goddamn MLS may have a bigger market share in the US than hockey.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #787 on: December 20, 2012, 09:00:20 AM

Honestly, from an outsider point of view, I don't really buy into the players making huge money in the NHL. In the NFL, when the owners were talking about the high costs of salaries, we all rolled our eyes. It's the biggest market sport in the USA. We knew the owners were greedy sacks of shit who wanted to squeeze more out.

In this case, I don't see it. They took my team away here in Atlanta because it couldn't make money. They took it off ESPN so I couldn't watch it. The players imo have wildly overestimated their worth in this sports market. I also think revenue sharing would be a good idea if the NHL wised up and contracted their league. There's no reason to have more than 24 teams right now. 4 teams a division, 12 in each conference.

I'd get rid of the Islanders because you don't need two teams in NY, and they suck in attendance, Florida because Florida doesn't need two teams and they suck in attendance, Carolina because that's ridiculous to have hockey in that state, Phoenix for the same reason, Columbus for the same reason, and Nashville because their talent could be used in a better city.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #788 on: December 20, 2012, 11:08:15 AM

It's a lockout, not a strike. Characterizing hockey's issues as anything but a decades-long string of incompetent and occasionally malicious decisions by ownership would be incorrect.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #789 on: December 20, 2012, 11:09:41 AM

It's a lockout, not a strike. Characterizing hockey's issues as anything but a decades-long string of incompetent and occasionally malicious decisions by ownership would be incorrect.

This. Some of the big dollar players actually took a pay cut AND agreed to having a limit on the amount of salary per year that a player could get no matter how rich the team was. It still wasn't enough for the owners, who are apparently mostly short-sighted dickbags.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #790 on: December 20, 2012, 11:10:01 AM

Ok give me some history then. What are the ownership decisions that have led us here. What are the examples? I have absolutely no idea what's going on, but I do know hockey's market share is smaller today.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #791 on: December 20, 2012, 11:14:23 AM

Before the 2003 lockout, there was no salary cap and lots of haves and have nots. The NY Rangers were the poster children for trying to buy titles, paying idiotic salaries and generally grabbing up all the big-name players even though they never made the playoffs. The NHL expanded into markets it never should have (Florida, Arizona, the South) and as a result about half the teams were break even or losing money, the other half were making good money and a lot of the traditions like teams in Canada were getting shit on to move teams to places like Phoenix. After the 2003 lockout ended a season, the owners agreed to a salary cap, a cap on top player salaries as well as teams could only sign so many players to big dollar contracts. As a result of the lockout, they lost the ESPN deal when they asked for too much money and got picked up by VS instead. I don't think viewership has ever recovered even with the change to NBC Sports Network. Now, the owners want the players to give up MORE money, drop their current already-negotiated salaries on contracts already signed and get... not much in return, AFAIK.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #792 on: December 20, 2012, 11:47:57 AM

The bottom line is these people are apparently incapable of running their franchises in a competent manner, despite record revenues for the sport.

NHL salary cap rules mandate a team's payroll be between 54.3 million and 70.2 million in 2012-2013, if they actually had a season. In 2011-2012, the league overall had 3.2 billion dollars in revenue. If you can't make those two numbers work together, you should not be running a business.

They need to either accept that they have to cut loose failing franchises or institute real revenue sharing. Other things that would help is lower revenue teams not being retarded and sitting right at the salary cap if they can't afford it. Even the lowest revenue teams would be functional at the salary floor instead.

In some sense you can pin a lot of it on the Leafs, who refuse any increase in sharing of their massive revenues and also manage to fail to put a decent product on the ice at the same time. They don't even hit the cap themselves, which is pretty funny. If the owners want to lock someone out they should consider the Leafs ownership.

This is a pretty good summary: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/globe-on-hockey/why-nhl-teams-cry-poor-despite-the-leagues-record-growth/article4429817/

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #793 on: December 20, 2012, 12:09:22 PM

The article says something very simple to me. If the bottom 10 teams can't make money, cut the bottom 10 teams from the league. Problem solved.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #794 on: December 20, 2012, 12:38:32 PM

Gary Bettman is a sadnessmancer, that's what is happening with hockey.

It's not about business, at all. It's about the owners going "we win, you lose, fuck you!". That's it, it's really that simple.

-edit- Ing is also spot on, the Leafs ownership is hell bent on keeping their insane monopoly share of the hockey monies. You think Southern Ontario couldn't support another NHL team? Fuck you could put a second NHL team in Toronto itself. There is nooooo waaaaay the Leafs are going to let that happen though. Not when they are bringing in like a jillion dollars from the god damn maple fucking leafs.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 12:41:22 PM by Fordel »

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #795 on: December 20, 2012, 12:44:26 PM

The article says something very simple to me. If the bottom 10 teams can't make money, cut the bottom 10 teams from the league. Problem solved.

But that not a very good deal for the players -- it would mean 1/3 less roster spots, 1/3 less #1 line, etc.…

Some of the bottom market teams have already been shaken out -- Atlanta moving to Winnipeg.  

But the NHL wasn't shortsighted to move into the Sun Belt -- it just that it opted for half-ass star soaked strategy as opposed to total penetration. Problem is, there are lots of rabid hockey fans in California, Florida, Arizona, etc.… and winning team often translates to full arenas (Phoenix outdraws poor performing Northern clubs when they are in a playoff push) but the marketing never has deep penetration (and losing ESPN was a big blow to that too). I remember a time, growing up in Pittsburgh, when hockey was thought of in the same vein, now it a bigger fan draw than all other sports (sans football) and greater than most team's NBA fan base in most cities. A lot due to Mario Lemieux and Stanley Cup wins, but there was a concerted push to get kids playing hockey, even if it was on a basketball court in tennis shoes shooting an orange plastic ball. Did not see that support in Phoenix when the Coyotes came to town, especially when there used to be a roller hockey rink on just about every block of the metro area in the 90s - 2000s. Now most of those facilities have been shuttered (drive by 2 on my way to work still) or ditched hockey for indoor soccer / lacrosse.

But if the NHL retreats to a limited regional setup it once was, that might invoke a death spiral sucking in more U.S. cities (and smaller Canadian cities).

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #796 on: December 20, 2012, 12:49:15 PM

The solution to me is to run the NHL like one business instead of 24. Go whole hog on revenue sharing and it solves basically all their problems as a group.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #797 on: December 20, 2012, 01:35:32 PM

The NHL has two major issues for me as a casual fan.

1 - Its regular season competes directly with the NFL and NBA until February. This is actually why NBA teams have focused entirely on the playoffs for their TV money, because they know the majority of their fans don't give a shit until football is over.

2 - It's a shitty sport to watch on TV. It's amazing in person, but that again runs into the competition problem. People only have a finite budget for tickets, and if you are going on at the exact same time as football, you can't draw as many fans due to income restraints.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #798 on: December 20, 2012, 01:57:11 PM

I have never understood how it's a shitty sport to watch on TV.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #799 on: December 20, 2012, 01:59:32 PM

Narrow focus of the camera work.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
WayAbvPar

Reply #800 on: December 20, 2012, 02:12:00 PM

It is really hard to follow unless you are familiar with the game. Bonus points for attending games in person, which really helps you learn what to watch for on TV. I just tell everyone to pay attention to where everyone on the ice is looking- the puck will always be there.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #801 on: December 20, 2012, 03:12:25 PM

First random Leafs vid I found on youtube. Which part of this is hard to follow? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCpYcIYvMaQ

I sincerely do not understand what is hard to follow here.

cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #802 on: December 20, 2012, 04:09:13 PM

2 - It's a shitty sport to watch on TV. It's amazing in person, but that again runs into the competition problem. People only have a finite budget for tickets, and if you are going on at the exact same time as football, you can't draw as many fans due to income restraints.

I love you but I don't think it's shitty to watch on TV at all.  Saying you can't follow it is just like not understanding how a reverse or play action works in football, imo. 

I also think it's the #1 live event to watch in my book, but I'd sure as hell watch the Bolts over baseball, tennis, golf, or basketball on TV.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #803 on: December 20, 2012, 05:07:14 PM

I love you but I don't think it's shitty to watch on TV at all.  Saying you can't follow it is just like not understanding how a reverse or play action works in football, imo. 

I also think it's the #1 live event to watch in my book, but I'd sure as hell watch the Bolts over baseball, tennis, golf, or basketball on TV.

I'm not saying I can't follow it, or didn't watch it. I had a hockey package in college so I could keep track of the Stars. I watched it in high school and had tickets to the games. I still have a puck from back before they put up nets on the glass.

It doesn't translate to TV well at all. The action is too fast and the camera angles are shitty. You can watch it just fine if you understand the game well, but the barrier to entry is there.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #804 on: December 21, 2012, 07:18:21 AM

I'm not saying I can't follow it, or didn't watch it. I had a hockey package in college so I could keep track of the Stars.

Oh god.  You're one of those people.   awesome, for real
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 40 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Random Sports Discussion  
Jump to: