Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:51:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Random Sports Discussion 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Random Sports Discussion  (Read 331634 times)
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #700 on: August 31, 2012, 02:27:51 PM

It's interesting that Billy Gilliespie is doing the same shit at Texas Tech that got him fired at Kentucky.  And now he's suddenly so sick he has to go the hospital for an ultrasound.  Sounds ultra fishy, to me. 
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #701 on: August 31, 2012, 03:01:01 PM

And......let's talk about the hypocrisy of the NCAA for a bit.  UNC not hit with any sanctions regarding obvious academic fraud
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #702 on: August 31, 2012, 11:31:39 PM

That is... unfortunate.

cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #703 on: September 03, 2012, 09:50:00 AM

And......let's talk about the hypocrisy of the NCAA for a bit.  UNC not hit with any sanctions regarding obvious academic fraud

That op-ed was very, very poorly written.  Shame on you, SI. 

Was there any reason as to why the NCAA didn't pass ruling?  Is at an academic thing versus an athletic thing?

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #704 on: September 03, 2012, 04:32:06 PM

It's essentially a blog post from SI.com.  What do you expect, the New York Times?  The subject matter is still appropriate and he was asking the right questions.
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #705 on: September 04, 2012, 08:57:28 AM

It's essentially a blog post from SI.com.  What do you expect, the New York Times?  The subject matter is still appropriate and he was asking the right questions.

I'm constantly reminded that writing gets worse every year.  I keep pretending it's not the case when I teach.

I agree though, certainly the right questions.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #706 on: September 04, 2012, 09:16:25 AM

I think that a big part of the "writing getting worse every year" problem is that we have the internet.  People have the ability to write and put things on the internet basically for free, whereas in years gone by they would have to put things in print at huge expense.  Therefore the need for copy editors has basically died, thus leading to freelance guys putting up stuff unedited.  I would wager that 90% of the articles like this that get put up get nothing other than a cursory glance from an editor.
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #707 on: September 04, 2012, 09:37:14 AM

I think that a big part of the "writing getting worse every year" problem is that we have the internet.  People have the ability to write and put things on the internet basically for free, whereas in years gone by they would have to put things in print at huge expense.  Therefore the need for copy editors has basically died, thus leading to freelance guys putting up stuff unedited.  I would wager that 90% of the articles like this that get put up get nothing other than a cursory glance from an editor.

I'm not trying to derail into hurr durr copy editing, but how much of overall writing style gets critiqued from copy editors?

My big qualm with folks on these sites is coupling vitriol with news that elicits the same vitriol...if the article is about a guy locking his daughter in the basement for years, it's obviously disgusting and horrendous.  No need to beat me over the head with it

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #708 on: September 04, 2012, 09:55:15 AM

Well in this case, something despicable occurred and it should have been looked at more closely.  The situation probably deserves a little additional editorial vitriol. 
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #709 on: September 04, 2012, 03:01:51 PM

I think that a big part of the "writing getting worse every year" problem is that we have the internet.  People have the ability to write and put things on the internet basically for free, whereas in years gone by they would have to put things in print at huge expense. 

See, I view that as a GOOD THING.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #710 on: September 04, 2012, 03:13:00 PM

I agree with you, Haemish.  Hence why I posted the barely-above-blog-level article. 
Korachia
Terracotta Army

Reply #711 on: September 04, 2012, 04:43:31 PM

So apparently Tyler Hamilton (former bike rider and doper) is launching his new book soon. It includes grave accusations against pretty much everybody, but especially against his former chef, Bjarne Riis, and manager of the current Saxobank/Tinkoff (Contador rides for him). Riis apparently put Hamilton into contact with Fuentes (infamous for being the key stone in a doping network - uncovered in the Operación Puerto debacle), and encouraged him to use blood doping, as it was untraceable if done right. All the time Riis have denied to have ever known Fuentes - an unlikely event since their paths would most likely have crossed at least once, as they often attended the same races. Fuentes as a doctor for several teams, and Riis as bike rider and later on manager of his own team. Quite damming!

And so the former doping rider turns into a culture-carrier of the sick win-it-all-no-matter-what culture and turn younglings into dopers - a circle most likely to continue, if nothing is done. Disgusting.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 04:49:15 PM by Korachia »
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #712 on: September 05, 2012, 09:14:28 AM

I think that a big part of the "writing getting worse every year" problem is that we have the internet.  People have the ability to write and put things on the internet basically for free, whereas in years gone by they would have to put things in print at huge expense. 

See, I view that as a GOOD THING.

Let's not confuse the ability of folks to post things on the internet with the decline of writing quality.

I think the former is awesome and the latter a shame.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #713 on: September 12, 2012, 06:14:44 PM

Wow.  UNC can't buy a break.  Now Tyler Hansbrough's mom was caught using university money to fly around the country and bang her boyfriend. 

Tami Hansbrough, the mother of former North Carolina basketball All-America Tyler Hansbrough, resigned her position as a school fundraiser Wednesday as the school continued to study trips she took with Matt Kupec, UNC's vice chancellor for university advancement.

This makes me all warm and fuzzy inside......  Heart
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #714 on: September 17, 2012, 02:28:40 PM

And now UNC's chancellor, Holden Thorp, has resigned amidst all the brewing shitstorm around the university. 

Apparently there are still two ongoing investigations into the academic scandal that has allowed UNC to field an awesome basketball squad and a very reasonable football team over the past 15 years.  Chancellors don't just resign for shits and giggles.  There may be more meat to this than the NCAA would like to admit.  Mark Emmert needs to get his head out of his ass. 
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #715 on: September 20, 2012, 07:12:25 AM

And you thought you had met the lowest common denominator of redneck.....

That's actually a real glass eye that the guy had made up. 
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #716 on: September 20, 2012, 07:33:32 AM

Yeah, and it's for Kentucky of all things.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #717 on: September 20, 2012, 07:34:28 AM

I don't think you'd seen anything like this except for an SEC school. 
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #718 on: September 21, 2012, 05:38:47 AM

I don't think you'd seen anything like this except for an SEC school. 

Glass eyes?  Yep.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #719 on: September 27, 2012, 01:07:27 PM

No need now: http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/09/27/14126193-university-of-kentucky-restricts-alcohol-at-tailgate-parties-in-response-to-post-game-fights

"...Capilouto on Thursday announced the alcohol ban from non-reserved tailgate spots in response to fights after UK lost to Western Kentucky University on Sept. 15. Also banned: DJs and bands."

I swear I saw this movie once before... I think it had Kevin Bacon and dancing in it.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #720 on: September 27, 2012, 02:19:02 PM

I've never been to Kentucky, but I'm assuming by "non-reserved" tailgaters, they mean the gas-station alumni who never actually took a class, but love to park on campus for football games and start shit?

Because we moved those people away from North Campus on UGA soil a long time ago too. This isn't that uncommon to enforce dry areas. People have taken things too far lately.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #721 on: September 27, 2012, 02:25:33 PM

I've never been to Kentucky, but I'm assuming by "non-reserved" tailgaters, they mean the gas-station alumni who never actually took a class, but love to park on campus for football games and start shit?

Because we moved those people away from North Campus on UGA soil a long time ago too. This isn't that uncommon to enforce dry areas. People have taken things too far lately.

For what it is worth, and slightly off topic, I absolutely love Athens. Almost went to UGA for grad school... stingy bastards didn't match LSU's offer.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #722 on: September 27, 2012, 02:26:20 PM

Also banned: DJs and bands.

wat

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #723 on: September 27, 2012, 03:22:21 PM

Actually they are referring to the frat boys.  There is a video that's been passed around Kentucky of some frat dudes kicking the shit out of some poor guy and that's what started all this.   I'll see if I can track it down.  It pretty much shows Kentucky in all its glory.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #724 on: September 27, 2012, 04:12:33 PM

Actually they are referring to the frat boys.  There is a video that's been passed around Kentucky of some frat dudes kicking the shit out of some poor guy and that's what started all this.   I'll see if I can track it down.  It pretty much shows Kentucky in all its glory.

Hmmm, well then they need to fucking relax. We have our fraternity row like 100 yards from campus and never have any problems.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #725 on: September 27, 2012, 04:20:04 PM

I'm guessing that you have BYOB/3rd party bartender/cans-only etc. type rules then.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #726 on: September 27, 2012, 05:34:31 PM

I'm guessing that you have BYOB/3rd party bartender/cans-only etc. type rules then.

Pretty much.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #727 on: September 27, 2012, 07:39:12 PM

Hmmm, well then they need to fucking relax. We have our fraternity row like 100 yards from campus and never have any problems.

Yeah, well, new president feels the need to crack down.  Plus the video is pretty much viral in KY. 

And I don't buy the "no problems" thing.  It's fraternities with booze and a football game.  There are fights. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #728 on: September 27, 2012, 08:48:54 PM

No, I'm serious. They moved several of the fraternities to patrolled lots in 2009. They built them new houses and made them University property. The UGA cops are in the area after every game, and we hire security for every party. The parking for the entire section is strictly enforced by both University officials and the police. Everyone has to have a pass, or you can't even drive there.

Things are really well controlled at our houses. We don't want a negative image at all given the shitstorms from early 2000 when ATO was kicked off campus for killing a guy, and several others lost charters for hazing/drugs.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #729 on: September 28, 2012, 07:52:55 AM

awesome, for real
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #730 on: September 28, 2012, 09:53:32 AM

Today is Chipper Jones appreciation night at the Ted. I will be there amongst a standing room only crowd. Who doesn't love the Braves most loveable redneck?

Other than Mets fans.

WayAbvPar

Reply #731 on: September 28, 2012, 10:29:53 AM

/raises hand

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #732 on: September 28, 2012, 10:37:56 AM

Look at that smile! LOVE HIM!  awesome, for real

cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #733 on: September 28, 2012, 11:19:24 AM

/raises hand

/smacks you with said hand.

Chipper is loveable.  HIS NAME IS CHIPPER FOR CHRIST'S SAKE.

I might live in Tampa, and pull for the Rays now, but you never forget your first love.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3WtSKEMUio&sns=em

Heart

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #734 on: September 28, 2012, 11:22:13 AM

You smacked the wrong hand.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 40 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Random Sports Discussion  
Jump to: