Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:53:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Random Sports Discussion 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Random Sports Discussion  (Read 329560 times)
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #560 on: July 17, 2012, 12:13:09 PM

I'm watching BBC news 24 right now, and so far its wall to wall Olympic cockups. Great entertainment.   why so serious?

Hic sunt dracones.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #561 on: July 17, 2012, 12:17:46 PM

I'm watching BBC news 24 right now, and so far its wall to wall Olympic cockups. Great entertainment.   why so serious?

Who would put a guy named Buckles in charge of anything but a clown car?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
WayAbvPar

Reply #562 on: July 17, 2012, 01:34:14 PM

I would like to see the other schools on the PSU schedule refuse to play them and force their hand. There really isn't a big enough fuck you anyone could deliver compared to what is deserved, but it would be a nice start.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #563 on: July 17, 2012, 01:39:07 PM

I would like to see the other schools on the PSU schedule refuse to play them and force their hand. There really isn't a big enough fuck you anyone could deliver compared to what is deserved, but it would be a nice start.

No way will moral outrage outweigh the moneys from the games. What society do you think we live in? College football is one of the biggest money grabs in the world... no way they kill the cash cow by voluntarily forfeiting a game against PSU, no matter what the moral message would say. Not saying I fully disagree with you, but let's be realistic.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #564 on: July 17, 2012, 01:43:40 PM

He was being realistic.  He just said what he would like to see, not what would likely happen. 

I think that would also be a fantastic way for the opposing schools to show their distaste.  Even better, kick them out of the Big Ten.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #565 on: July 17, 2012, 08:45:20 PM

Frank Schleck out of the tour for a positive test.  Apparently it was a diuretic.  

I love how his team manager throws him under the bus, as if he had no clue:
Shortly after 10pm, RadioShack-Nissan press officer Philippe Maertens came to the gates of the hotel to field questions from the reporters gathered outside.

"We're all a bit devastated but we can't do anything, we can only acknowledge the facts and see what happens. It's up to Fränk himself to find an explanation," Maertens said, adding that it "had not yet been decided" if Schleck would seek an analysis of his B sample.

Schleck's positive test dates from July 14, the day of stage 13 of the Tour to Le Cap d'Agde and Maertens said that the team had no reason to suspect such an occurrence before the race began.

"No, there were no doubts. If the team had doubts about him, they wouldn't have brought him to the Tour de France," he said.

Schleck himself has yet to make a public pronouncement on the matter, but Maertens said that the rider was surprised by the news: "He has no explanation."

Addendum-  apparently Schleck is going with the "I was poisoned" defense, which isn't too far fetched if these guys are grabbing random bottles on their trek up a big hill. 
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 05:41:34 AM by ghost »
Korachia
Terracotta Army

Reply #566 on: July 18, 2012, 09:00:21 AM

The culture in bicycle sport is sick and rotten. Just turn it into total entertainment @ "american-wrestling-on-bikes" or burn the whole thing down.  

Harder and more doping control is certainly justifiable! Hell keep the samples of riders and especially winners for 50 years, and test them with 5 year interval with all the newest tests available. And if they get caught, take away their titles and exclude them from participating in any kind of bicycle activities, like riding, training teams, managing, hell even driving the cars of bicycle teams. People that have already been caught and / or admitted to doping needs to be excluded as well. Having people like e.g. Riis managing a team just means he transfer on the sick and rotten culture (Schleck drove for him, and many many others that have been caught rode for him). Remove them immediately. Burn down the house I say and rebuild from the bottom.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 09:02:20 AM by Korachia »
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #567 on: July 18, 2012, 09:22:48 AM

The culture has been that way for years.  In the beginning nobody gave a shit about doping.  Everyone was taking amphetamines and cow testicle extract and whatever else they could get their hands on to make their performance better.  The concept of doping in cycling is relatively new phenomenon (since the 1960s, I believe).  I think that you're right though, that it is a rotten culture, but I think a lot of that feeling is brought about by the testing process itself.  Paelos and I have argued about this pretty much until it's been argued out, but I think cycling is a prime example of failed doping controls.  And I'm not sure its fixable.  I personally say let them have at it.  It's already a risky sport. 
Korachia
Terracotta Army

Reply #568 on: July 18, 2012, 09:31:38 AM

Its absolutely possible to fix it. If we assume most doping is one step ahead of doping tests that can catch, all it takes is continue testing of the samples years (and many years after) and then hammer them so bloody hard that they wont be able to be part of racing again if/when they get caught. Hell, make them sign contracts before participating in the big races, that if they do get caught they can be sued for every little penny they have made.

And all the current known riders and former riders that have taken drugs and is still part of the game? Put them on the stake and burn them I say. I dont care if that means you also chase away those that have actually changed, because when the whole house is filled with rats, its better to tear it down totally.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #569 on: July 18, 2012, 10:02:59 AM

I guess my thought is how much that is going to really make cycling (or any sport) completely unenjoyable to watch and follow.  I don't think people understand how much of a witch hunt it would have to be to find everyone that is doping (mechanical, chemical, whatever).

Also, if you're going to clean it up I think what you're suggesting is the only way to do it.  I'm just not sure the people in charge are incorruptible enough to make it work, e.g. the Lance Armstrong situation.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 10:10:18 AM by ghost »
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #570 on: July 22, 2012, 08:56:50 AM

It was awesome to see Wiggins leading out Cavendish for the sprint on the Champs Elysees.  He's done that several times during the tour and it makes me think more highly of him. 
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #571 on: July 26, 2012, 06:53:10 PM

Neil Reed, the guy that Bobby Knight choked in the famous incident that got him fired, has died at age 36.  You can't beat Bobby. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #572 on: July 26, 2012, 07:17:37 PM

Neil Reed, the guy that Bobby Knight choked in the famous incident that got him fired, has died at age 36.  You can't beat Bobby. 

He supposedly died of cardiac arrest in his 30s. This can mean what we all think it means. Druuuuuuuuuuuuuugs.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #573 on: July 27, 2012, 06:23:03 AM

That's definitely high on the list.  Or one of the genetic disorders that greatly increases your chances of dying for an MI early in life. 
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #574 on: August 03, 2012, 12:59:28 PM

Glad to see that Luther Campbell has been cleared to coach high school football in Florida.  Now he can mold some young minds to do what is proper.   awesome, for real
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #575 on: August 03, 2012, 01:17:24 PM

Seriously? They were going to block him on the grounds of raunchy lyrics?

The article reads more like terms of a court sentence than a teaching license.  swamp poop

Fucking Florida, man.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 01:19:00 PM by Ingmar »

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #576 on: August 03, 2012, 01:22:39 PM

I don't think that I, as a parent, would love for my kid to be playing football for Luther Campbell.  I'd have to meet him first and see what he was like.  

Addendum-  I love Rage Against the Machine, but would be loathe to have Zach de la Rocha coaching my kid in football.  I love lots of bands but would be loathe to have them coaching my kid in football.  I loathe 2 live crew and would be super loathe to have Luther Campbell coaching my kid.  
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 01:26:08 PM by ghost »
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #577 on: August 03, 2012, 01:39:54 PM

I don't think that I, as a parent, would love for my kid to be playing football for Luther Campbell.  I'd have to meet him first and see what he was like.  

Addendum-  I love Rage Against the Machine, but would be loathe to have Zach de la Rocha coaching my kid in football.  I love lots of bands but would be loathe to have them coaching my kid in football.  I loathe 2 live crew and would be super loathe to have Luther Campbell coaching my kid.  

Wait... what? How are we comparing the two?

Also, the last 2 Live Crew album was nearly 20 years ago. The one that caused all the drama was nearer a quarter century ago. (Add in usual "artist license" and does not mean that the person is like that, etc etc.)

beer geek.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #578 on: August 03, 2012, 01:42:52 PM

Rage is pretty over the top. at times  It's not a stretch to compare. 

Still, I would have to meet Luther and see what he was actually about before I let me kid play football for him.  That's no different than I'd expect for any coach.  I like to form my opinions in person.  He doesn't have a background I'd like to see in someone that is educating my kid, however.   
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #579 on: August 03, 2012, 01:43:47 PM

Well sure, you'd probably rather have someone with a long history of coaching, who started his own charity, etc.  why so serious?

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #580 on: August 03, 2012, 01:45:50 PM

No, I'd rather have someone that wasn't into shitty rap.  I'd also rather not have Jerry Sandusky.  I'd also not like to have my football coach. 

I'm sorry, but I'm into high character people teaching and coaching my kids. 
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #581 on: August 03, 2012, 01:51:13 PM

Rage is pretty over the top. at times  It's not a stretch to compare.

Yeah, I like that one song where the sing about fucking bitches and partying. Are you afraid your kid would turn into a commie?

Still, I would have to meet Luther and see what he was actually about before I let me kid play football for him.  That's no different than I'd expect for any coach.  I like to form my opinions in person.  He doesn't have a background I'd like to see in someone that is educating my kid, however.  

So, if it's something you would expect from any coach, it's not a matter of who he is/was, really. He's clearly been coaching and doing well. I'm not sure how his past comes into this, and I'm not sure when someone is allowed to be separated from that persona. he's pretty far removed from being "that guy'. And he was never even "that guy".... his most criminal thing is child support, which is shitty mind you... but I'm not clear what you are afraid of here.

Besides, Sandusky never made a rap album.

No, I'd rather have someone that wasn't into shitty rap.  I'd also rather not have Jerry Sandusky.  I'd also not like to have my football coach. 

What are you even talking about. "High Character"? And is it just the quality of the rap? What? Do you think that Anthony Hopkins actually ate people?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 01:53:25 PM by sickrubik »

beer geek.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #582 on: August 03, 2012, 01:58:13 PM

Well my point was mostly that you really can't tell by appearances.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #583 on: August 03, 2012, 02:07:01 PM

his most criminal thing is child support, which is shitty mind you...

He refers to one of his daughters as the "sperm donation" and paid her mother back child support in pennies.

Not exactly sure that's the kind of dude I want teaching young men.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #584 on: August 03, 2012, 02:14:25 PM

Perhaps not, although on the other hand sometimes people learn better from someone who can give real examples of how bad decisions screwed them over, you know? I don't know, this doesn't strike me as David Lee Roth becoming a paramedic, it isn't a publicity stunt or anything, there wouldn't even be any coverage if it wasn't for the fact that he had to fight for the approval as far as I can tell. Seems to be a pretty genuine desire to help.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #585 on: August 03, 2012, 02:20:32 PM

No, but this is information about his estrangement from his own kids as recently as 10 months ago. If a guy expresses interest in teaching youth, I'd like to make sure he made amends with his own kids first.

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #586 on: August 03, 2012, 02:27:36 PM

his most criminal thing is child support, which is shitty mind you...

He refers to one of his daughters as the "sperm donation" and paid her mother back child support in pennies.

Not exactly sure that's the kind of dude I want teaching young men.

Cite your sources, for those of us that aren't deep into "Rage". Given what I know about them as a band politically, I have to imagine that might need a hell of a lot of context.

As far as estrangement goes... I have no idea about any of that.

Along the lines of what Ingmar says, at what point do you "let" someone be a valuable member of society again. This sort of thing is why recidivism, in part, is so high.

I will say that one should definitely get to know the kids teachers/coaches.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 02:32:28 PM by sickrubik »

beer geek.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #587 on: August 03, 2012, 02:29:33 PM

Man, if we exclude everyone with estranged family from teaching... we're going to be missing a lot of teachers suddenly.

EDIT: Also, I'm sorry, it just bugs the shit out of me when we treat people like ex-criminals when they aren't. It is bad enough when we do it to actual ex-criminals. I have a hard time seeing Florida raking a white dude with a comparable history (Andrew Dice Clay becomes a math teacher?) over the coals in the same way, too.

I'd feel a little better about it if I thought Florida really gave a shit about the misogyny angle as opposed to the dirty, dirty lyrics thing.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 02:41:47 PM by Ingmar »

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #588 on: August 03, 2012, 03:03:53 PM

I have a hard time seeing Florida raking a white dude with a comparable history (Andrew Dice Clay becomes a math teacher?) over the coals in the same way, too.

Also not teaching my kid math.  It's okay to realize that someone has a shitty character from what they portray to the public even if it isn't illegal.  Dice Clay is a douchebag.  Luther Campbell is a douchebag.  There's any number of douchebags around that I don't want coaching or teaching my kid.  I think I'm being generous to say that I would at least talk to Campbell before yanking my kid off of the team.  

Addendum-  I'm also going to add that I always find it shocking when people defend a completely sexist idiot like Campbell.  It happens a lot with the rap artists.  Why?  I have no idea.  Is it because they are black?  Fuck, who knows.  I don't like sexism or racism.  And I don't want my kid being around someone that perpetuates either of them. 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 03:15:35 PM by ghost »
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #589 on: August 03, 2012, 03:34:34 PM

So, he can't ever do anything good ever because of what he did before?

Also, nice strawman arguments you're building there.

beer geek.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #590 on: August 03, 2012, 03:51:30 PM

Yeah I dunno, I mean, do we still hold License to Ill aganst the Beastie Boys even after everything they've done to apologize/make up for it? If not, then obviously there's a continuum here. (And if we do hold it against them, I am so dropping this conversation.)

In any case, I don't really think saying 'we shouldn't treat him like a criminal just because he did some really stupid, non-illegal shit 20+ years ago' is really defending the stupid shit he did in any way.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #591 on: August 03, 2012, 04:00:18 PM

Yeah I dunno, I mean, do we still hold License to Ill aganst the Beastie Boys even after everything they've done to apologize/make up for it? If not, then obviously there's a continuum here. (And if we do hold it against them, I am so dropping this conversation.)

In any case, I don't really think saying 'we shouldn't treat him like a criminal just because he did some really stupid, non-illegal shit 20+ years ago' is really defending the stupid shit he did in any way.

Okay, License to Ill is a really stupid comparison.  Also, why are you defending a sexist moron?  You gonna let your daughter have a sleep over at his house?  What about David Duke?  You hip on him being your kid's football coach?  I'm not. 

sickrubik-  I love it when people claim "straw man" argument.  It makes me laugh.  Make an argument yourself, don't be a moron.  
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 04:02:33 PM by ghost »
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #592 on: August 03, 2012, 04:10:31 PM

What we know, is that he was a sexist moron 23 years ago, who is apparently now trying to do something positive. I'll stand up for someone trying to turn their shit around every time without feeling bad about it, if I think there's reason to believe they're sincere about it.

I mean let's take Michael Vick. His crime was a lot worse than releasing a shitty offensive rap album (like, it was an actual crime) and since then he's done the right thing in every way he should and seems to have genuinely turned over a new leaf. I'm willing to accept him back into society and give him his job back, it seems clear to me that he's learned his lesson, is sincere, has done his time and everything that's been asked of him. And I like animals way more than I like people.  why so serious?

So no, you're not going to make me feel bad about taking this position in the discussion.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #593 on: August 03, 2012, 04:24:43 PM

Cite your sources, for those of us that aren't deep into "Rage".

From the daughter: http://thegrio.com/2011/08/29/campbell-it-broke-my-heart-to-be-referred-to-as-a-donation/
Here's where he was arrested in 2009: http://www.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/MI113267/
Here's the quote he made in 2010: http://theurbandaily.com/819775/luke-campbell-issues-statement-on-sperm-donor-comments/

“When you get a check, the results of that check ends up where your sperm donation kids are online talking bad about you after you spent millions and millions dollars in child support.”

He's making these comments as of 2-3 years ago. Dude hasn't changed. He's still a dick.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #594 on: August 03, 2012, 04:34:00 PM

Facepalm I like how the 3 page SI article about all the good shit he's done for the kids he's coaching mentions none of that.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 40 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Random Sports Discussion  
Jump to: