Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:49:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Random Sports Discussion 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Random Sports Discussion  (Read 329583 times)
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #455 on: June 19, 2012, 11:17:29 AM

And here we have the mother of all bad ideas in sports marketing.  

Addendum-   ACK!
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #456 on: June 19, 2012, 11:45:07 AM

What...

The...

Fuck?

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #457 on: June 19, 2012, 11:47:58 AM

I agree.. those are a horrible style and color choice. why so serious?

OH OH THE CHAINS and SHACKLES!  swamp poop 

Yeah, saw that earlier today and really wondered if people are so far removed from reality that it did not occur to them that those might be a tad bit wrong.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #458 on: June 19, 2012, 12:05:28 PM

/danieltosh "High Fashion"

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #459 on: June 20, 2012, 08:34:25 AM

Sepp Blatter now says that "goal line tech is a necessity".  Is there anyone more comically incompetent than this asshat?  While just before the 2010 World Cup he was against it.  He is the consummate politician. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #460 on: June 20, 2012, 08:39:14 AM

Why would soccer be afraid of goal line tech? I mean shit, it can't possibly slow down the game, nobody scores that much.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #461 on: June 20, 2012, 08:43:54 AM

Why would soccer be afraid of goal line tech? I mean shit, it can't possibly slow down the game, nobody scores that much.

I'll become a diehard soccer fan when they start doing something about all of the dives and play acting.  That shit ruins the sport far more than any pace or lack of scoring issues.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #462 on: June 20, 2012, 08:48:18 AM

No shit.  Until they do the retroactive penalties/cards for the floppers nothing will change.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #463 on: June 20, 2012, 08:51:15 AM

Sepp Blatter now says that "goal line tech is a necessity".  Is there anyone more comically incompetent than this asshat?  While just before the 2010 World Cup he was against it.  He is the consummate politician. 

He is such a cockmunch. Hell, the entire soccer world was saying it was a necessity after the 2010 World Cup while he put it on a "meh, we'll see" ignore list. The only thing I can think of is he didn't get enough kickbacks from the companies making GLT until now. Corrupt shitcock.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #464 on: June 20, 2012, 10:11:05 AM

No shit.  Until they do the retroactive penalties/cards for the floppers nothing will change.

Well yeah. That too, but I can't imagine retroactive replay is a bad idea in any facet of soccer.

WayAbvPar

Reply #465 on: June 20, 2012, 12:04:04 PM

This almost makes the whole Sandusky case worthwhile. I am a horrible person because I can't stop laughing at this.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #466 on: June 20, 2012, 01:28:46 PM

I'll become a diehard soccer fan when they start doing something about all of the dives and play acting.  That shit ruins the sport far more than any pace or lack of scoring issues.

And it is unfortunately starting to infiltrate our other sports as well.

Chris Bosh flops like a complete bitch

Lebron being a fucking weenie

The NBA-  where acting happens....
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #467 on: June 20, 2012, 01:34:27 PM

Yeah and it's already becoming an issue with the commish. However, I can see them stopping it through suspensions. Soccer won't do that.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #468 on: June 20, 2012, 02:02:12 PM

Soccer should have done it years ago, but they can't even seem to get their shit together and come up with a simple electronic system to determine whether or not a goal is actually a goal.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #469 on: June 20, 2012, 06:41:16 PM

I was watching the European championships the other day (BTW the Irish team SUCKED and should have been beaten over the head as they got on the plane) and it was pretty stupid. For example, Italian player screams and flops on the ground clutching the back of his leg. The ref ignores it and the guy stays on the ground till the ref is forced to blow the whistle while the Irish team is actually attacking the italian goal for once in their lives in order to see if he is alright. Then the guy gets up, limps a bit then is suddenly jumping over tall buildings again.

And then they run the slowmo and the guy had actually slammed his shin off the back of an irish players leg rather than the other way around.

Even the defenders of the game say that the diving game is ruining the sport. Oddly I watched an american game on ESPN the other day and enjoyed it as there was none of that shit.

Hic sunt dracones.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #470 on: June 21, 2012, 12:34:47 PM

I hope everyone is watching the exhilarating 0-0 tie between the Czechs and Portugal today.   Ohhhhh, I see.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #471 on: June 21, 2012, 12:41:38 PM

I hope everyone is watching the exhilarating 0-0 tie between the Czechs and Portugal today.   Ohhhhh, I see.

Better than watching a bunch of doped up bicyclists riding around on their ten-speeds, screwing up traffic.  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #472 on: June 21, 2012, 12:42:55 PM

I would disagree, but to each their own. 
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #473 on: June 21, 2012, 02:02:26 PM

To be fair, the Italian team is NOTORIOUS for being diving bitches. It's one of the reasons I can't watch Seri A games (along with the Italian game being extremely defensive in nature). It infects the other major leagues, but not nearly as much as Seri A or the Italian national team.

Unless FIFA starts retroactively issuing cards for obvious dives, it ain't going away. They already do that sort of thing in the appeals process for red cards (i.e. rescinding a red card giving in error), so why not do it for diving if you are really serious about cutting that shit out of the game.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #474 on: June 21, 2012, 06:07:32 PM

Now Sandusky's adopted kid, Matt, has accused him of abuse.  Again, this dude is indefensible.  It's sickening.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #475 on: June 22, 2012, 04:17:51 PM

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #476 on: June 22, 2012, 07:52:54 PM

Sandusky guilty on 45 counts. He will die in prison.

He got off light.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #477 on: June 22, 2012, 08:42:30 PM

I doubt he lives long.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
WayAbvPar

Reply #478 on: June 23, 2012, 02:34:25 AM

Is he still out on bond? If so, he will kill himself. Like he should have done 30 years ago when he started fucking people who couldn't give consent.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #479 on: June 23, 2012, 05:06:59 AM

Is he still out on bond? If so, he will kill himself. Like he should have done 30 years ago when he started fucking people who couldn't give consent.

No.  They revoked his bail and took him to jail.  Apparently he'll be kept in solitary confinement for a while, probably to keep an eye on him and see how stable he is.

If he wanted to kill himself he should have done it long before the judgment was passed.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #480 on: June 23, 2012, 07:59:59 AM

I watched the Germany-Greece match from a random pub here in Corfu, and the locals were pretty livid when the Merkinator came on screen  why so serious?

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #481 on: June 23, 2012, 09:42:23 AM

I watched the Germany-Greece match from a random pub here in Corfu, and the locals were pretty livid when the Merkinator came on screen  why so serious?
They same happens here in Germany. For different reasons, on the other hand maybe not so different at all...  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #482 on: June 23, 2012, 12:40:23 PM

Spain is beating the fuck out of France so far.  It's only 1-0, but they've completely dominated the match.  They look very, very good.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #483 on: June 25, 2012, 12:28:30 PM

Oh England, is there no situation you can't fuck up?  Ohhhhh, I see.

I got kind of disgusted with the England-Italy match. Italy was the better team because all England did was sit 10 guys behind the ball almost the entire fucking game. Granted, some of the England internationals are overrated - in particular I'm thinking of James fucking Milner. But there are some quality players on that team, and Hodgson had them lined up like they were a relegation-threatened lightweight up against Man U. Fucking ATTACK for FUCK'S SAKE. Milner starting every game on the right wing was idiotic. He's 1) better in the center of midfield (though not as good as either Parker or Gerrard) and 2) better defensively than offensively so is wasted as a winger. Glenn Johnson's defensive weaknesses luckily didn't affect them (probably because he had Milner back there defending most of the time). Wayne Rooney, whether from ring rust or just his usual disappearing act in big tournaments, was fucking worthless against Italy. Andy FUCKING STATUE Carroll had a better game than Rooney.

EDIT: Also, Germany is going to win the Euros.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #484 on: June 25, 2012, 12:56:05 PM

I hope Germany does. I find them the least objectionable of the remaining divefests.

Stewie
Terracotta Army

Reply #485 on: June 25, 2012, 12:59:33 PM

I don't know if anyone here watches F1 but the race in Valencia on the weekend was pretty nuts.

I cant stand Lewis and yet I still feel bad for him as he didn't deserve to go out like that.

Overall a great season so far!

Professional Forum Lurker.
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #486 on: June 25, 2012, 05:53:13 PM

I don't know if anyone here watches F1 but the race in Valencia on the weekend was pretty nuts.

I cant stand Lewis and yet I still feel bad for him as he didn't deserve to go out like that.

Overall a great season so far!

I do, but usually time shifted for sometime durning the week.

Also all you people bitching about diving in soccer, MLS rewatches every game and dishes out Reds and fines for diving and other unsportsmanlike conduct.

Also, every single MLS game (save Dalas v Chivas) was more entertaining than the Euro Quarters this weekend. I didn't say higher quality. I said more entertaining.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #487 on: June 25, 2012, 09:27:07 PM

Germany versus Spain would be a quality match.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #488 on: June 26, 2012, 08:48:18 AM

Germany versus Spain would be a quality match.

That's what the final will be.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #489 on: June 26, 2012, 09:12:35 AM

You know, I've cheered England on in the past and I can't for the life of me figure out why.  They play the most boring style of football and continually choke.  The only thing interesting about them is that Wayne Rooney is likely to shiv someone at any moment.  I think I'm done.  I'm either adopting Spain or Germany.  Probably Germany because they've brought football out of the dark ages of 89 minutes behind the ball and hope for a lucky cross.   Ohhhhh, I see.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 40 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Random Sports Discussion  
Jump to: