Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:44:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Random Sports Discussion 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Random Sports Discussion  (Read 329567 times)
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #420 on: March 01, 2012, 12:30:32 PM

So to get this out of the politics nosedive, what the hell is up with the news agencies fucking with Tiger Woods over wanting to be a Navy SEAL?  I mean hell, the guy did basically everything that you can possibly do wrong short of killing someone, and this is actually a somewhat wholesome goal.  I don't get it. 
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #421 on: March 01, 2012, 12:36:40 PM

Well, the point remains then-  if they're going to act like adolescents why don't we give them the rights and responsibilities of adolescents? 

In all honesty, it was because of the Vietnam War. The 26th amendment was put into place to make the voting age 18 because they were being drafted. That's it. They wanted to give kids who would go shoot somebody the right do vote on it.

It has nothing to do with kids being fuckups on the college campus. They were then, and they are now. We just have more media coverage of it.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #422 on: March 01, 2012, 09:25:25 PM

So to get this out of the politics nosedive, what the hell is up with the news agencies fucking with Tiger Woods over wanting to be a Navy SEAL?  I mean hell, the guy did basically everything that you can possibly do wrong short of killing someone, and this is actually a somewhat wholesome goal.  I don't get it. 

Because it's so delusional and Tiger has such an ego that it is amusing to puncture.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #423 on: March 02, 2012, 04:46:11 AM

I suppose it does make him squirm quite a bit when it's brought up.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #424 on: March 02, 2012, 04:56:46 AM

Apparently made him squirm a whole lot when a reporter brought it up the other day.

It is really, really weird how this guy has tanked so bad ever since his incident.  I mean, we could all kinda predict he'd go through a rough patch, but he has become nearly irrelevant on the course itself.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #425 on: March 02, 2012, 05:39:49 AM

There's a lot of discussion that it's the Nike putter, rather than the incident itself, that has killed his success.  Greg Norman was talking the other day about how his putting stroke seems different every time he goes out.  Tiger really needs to man up and get himself a short game coach.  He's too old for dicking around  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

In his favor is the fact that most true superstars (Nicklaus, Watson, etc.) seem to have a short burst of greatness toward the end of their career that will sometimes net them a major or two.  Tiger is that sort of player, and if he gets his putting together he could really pick back up where he was before.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #426 on: March 02, 2012, 10:29:48 AM

Also, injuries and being off the juice.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #427 on: March 02, 2012, 11:36:35 AM

Also, injuries and being off the juice.

Key point. In 2009, the year of his famous crash on Thanksgiving, for the 5 years leading up to that Tiger had averaged 303.5 yards per drive.

In 2010-2012? He's averaging 295. Why does that matter? Because in addition to coming up shorter on average, he's also gone from #1 on tour in greens in regulation for 07-08, to 167th and 37th in 10-11. He's not able to get home as easily anymore. It's not sudden age that caught up with him in 2 years.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #428 on: April 10, 2012, 01:36:47 PM

Seriously, a guy named Bubba just won the Masters.  Really?   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Addendum:  God sports are boring this time of year.   Ohhhhh, I see.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #429 on: April 18, 2012, 11:30:52 AM

Wow.  Pat Summit is retiring after 38 seasons.  She is, somewhat amazingly, only 59 years old. 
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #430 on: April 18, 2012, 12:26:18 PM

Wow.  Pat Summit is retiring after 38 seasons.  She is, somewhat amazingly, only 59 years old. 

Understandable considering her mental diagnosis. However, yeah... 38 seasons and not even 60 years old is quite admirable.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #431 on: April 18, 2012, 12:34:16 PM

Understandable considering her mental diagnosis. However, yeah... 38 seasons and not even 60 years old is quite admirable.

Very much a legend of the game. It's a sad illness.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #432 on: April 18, 2012, 12:41:20 PM

She really is a sporting legend.  It will be sad to see her go.  I was befuddled by her age because she has been around so freaking long.  I expected her to be at least 69.  Interestingly, she looks about 10 years older than she actually is at 59.  I guess basketball coaching is pretty stressful.  And putting up with Bruce Pearl could age anyone.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #433 on: April 20, 2012, 05:58:13 AM

Anyone want to take any bets as to how long Larry Brown lasts as SMU's coach?  I'm wagering he will make it through the first season (a season in which they will struggle to make .500) an then quit.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #434 on: April 20, 2012, 01:29:33 PM

I hope he doesn't die on the job.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #435 on: April 24, 2012, 09:28:40 AM

Ah, yes.  Neon Deion was apparently attacked by his estranged wife and some other person

"Pray for me and my kids now! They just witnessed their mother and a friend jump me in my room," the first tweet, posted at 6:15 p.m., read. "She's going to jail n I'm pressing charges!"

Rich, famous people should not be allowed to get married nor should they be allowed to procreate.  They are, every last one of them, fucking lunatics. 
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #436 on: May 07, 2012, 10:25:10 AM

So Clint Dempsey has 23 goals for his Fulham squad this year and 50 total in the English Premier League.  Is he the best American to ever play the sport?  
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #437 on: May 07, 2012, 11:24:32 AM

No, he's the luckiest American to ever play the sport.  awesome, for real

I will say that my appreciation for him has grown recently. I still think he's more lucky than good, by that I mean his best quality seems to be his innate ability to be at the right place at the right time as opposed to any stunning physical ability. Most of the goals I've seen him score are poacher's goals. Still, you can't argue with his scoring stats for Fulham.

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #438 on: May 07, 2012, 12:56:08 PM

That same "luck" made Gretsky the greatest hockey player ever.  It might not be "ability" but whatever it is, it is a rare gift and any athlete so endowed should not have its importance belittled.  My using that word is not an accusation that you are so doing.

I have never played WoW.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #439 on: May 07, 2012, 01:09:49 PM

Oh no, I realize that especially in soccer, positioning is a talent almost as important as passing, tackling or shooting. Getting in the best place to receive a pass that lets you turn and make a better pass or a killer shot is extremely important. That just happens to be what Dempsey is good at.

Terracotta Army

Reply #440 on: May 09, 2012, 11:07:25 AM

Going to stick this in the death of football thread, but this part caught my attention and swept it into this thread:

One of Bissinger's points particularly stood out, and it both energized the audience and rendered his opponents all but powerless to rebut it. He argued, essentially, that we put an end to the increasingly tortured efforts to reconcile the larger missions of universities with what it takes for those universities to field successful football teams, by officially recognizing that the two are not reconcilable. He proposed that major college football programs that are already, in practice, run parallel to their universities -- out of their own increasingly grand departments and facilities -- formally split off into their own entities while retaining a tie to, and even the name of, the school from which they originated. "Create a de facto subsidiary," Bissinger proposed. "The university gets a licensing fee."
The players would be paid for participating in what Bissinger said is already "the greatest minor league in the history of the world" -- and would therefore, at least, not be simultaneously "maimed and exploited," as is Gladwell's concern. They would continue to benefit from the life lessons that can be learned from playing the game. Communities could still rally around them, exulting in their wins and mourning their losses. Schools could still financially profit from them, and direct those profits toward other teams and academic departments. And the players would still have the opportunity to parlay their athletic skills into better off-the-field lives, if they were so inclined. Green wondered if players could still attend classes and earn degrees in this scenario.
"Players get the option to go to class, if they want to," Bissinger replied. "I bet most wouldn't."

From here: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/ben_reiter/05/09/ban-college-football-debate/index.html

I kinda like the idea.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #441 on: May 09, 2012, 11:11:36 AM

College athletics is one of the biggest shams in history, as it stands today.  I'm not sure what most athletic programs do for their universities and colleges and to have such emphasis on sport really detracts from their mission. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #442 on: May 09, 2012, 12:39:24 PM

It's been a long running goal of mine to bury the bowl system by picking over their 990 filings and public document requests proving they are unworthy of non-profit status.

Terracotta Army

Reply #443 on: May 19, 2012, 08:03:06 PM

Normally, I don't like horse racing considering the fact I hate horses... but holy shit the Preakness was pretty god damn intense. I doubt the horse will take the triple crown, but with the way he ran down Bode today... hard not to favor him.

WayAbvPar

Reply #444 on: May 21, 2012, 08:54:00 AM

Yeah, what a great race. Jock almost waited too long before he let him go. Wow, that horse can close.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #445 on: May 23, 2012, 07:26:41 AM

The Preakness would be only the second time I've made a point of watching a horse race. It's getting huge play here, as the jockey Gutierrez is based out of Hastings Park (downtown Vancouver).

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #446 on: May 23, 2012, 07:54:15 AM

This will be a good year to watch the Belmont, that's for sure.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #447 on: June 08, 2012, 10:17:46 AM

Well, no triple crown this year.  I'll have another is out of the Belmont with a swollen tendon.    Heartbreak
Terracotta Army

Reply #448 on: June 08, 2012, 10:20:02 AM

Caught that on the breaking news... sucks ass, but way better than having another Barbaro episode. That horse could close like no one's business.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #449 on: June 08, 2012, 11:51:07 AM

Nobody wants to watch another horse essentially die on the track.

naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #450 on: June 09, 2012, 10:09:12 AM

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #451 on: June 10, 2012, 06:09:28 AM

Nobody wants to watch another horse essentially die on the track.

I grew up going to Churchill Downs and Keeneland and I can say that there is little more jarring than watching them have to shoot a horse on the track when it's broken a leg.  I don't particularly care for horse racing because of this possibility.  It's a dirty sport that's probably as full of doping as cycling and, on top of that, the horses aren't particularly treated all that great. 
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #452 on: June 19, 2012, 09:05:59 AM

Jerry Sandusky is fucked

The guy is indefensible.  I don't know how his attorneys can sleep at night.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #453 on: June 19, 2012, 09:13:23 AM

If his lawyer was smart, he'd have plea-bargained this case. He didn't, and now we get to watch this asshole twist in the wind.

I believe in forgiveness, but I hope Sandusky is tortured by what he's done while he goes to prison for the rest of his life. I hope it will also help the victims move on to have semi-normal lives knowing that there was at least some small form of justice done.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #454 on: June 19, 2012, 09:21:35 AM

This type of justice won't fix them.  And he won't be rehabilitated nor will he be a good example/deterrant for potential child molesters.  Better to put a bullet in his head. 
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 40 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Random Sports Discussion  
Jump to: