Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:40:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Random Sports Discussion 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Random Sports Discussion  (Read 329630 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #350 on: February 25, 2012, 11:22:04 AM

Yep she's already crashed again in the Nationwide.

So that's two cars she's managed to ruin now in this weekend.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #351 on: February 26, 2012, 03:14:00 PM

Yeah, but she's hawt.   Ohhhhh, I see.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #352 on: February 26, 2012, 11:54:22 PM

I won't lie, I think she cleans up pretty good.  I'm generally not bothered by the media over-exposure of her, mostly because she doesn't seem like she goes out of her way to seek it.  I think she just wants to be a good race car driver, at the end of the day.

There are about 30 drivers that are terrible - who cares if they have a penis?

Because they don't get shoved down our throats and plastered on modelling contracts. When you are terrible, you're supposed to get no coverage.

Exception: Tebow!

Don't forget kournikova, I don't care that she never won I always appreciated her highlights.

I seem to recall hearing that Kournikova was actually a very successful doubles player, so I guess she won plenty?

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #353 on: February 27, 2012, 06:31:30 AM

No one is forcing Danica to do the modelling stuff or the GoDaddy stuff. She knows exactly what she is, and she's taking full advantage of it.

I have no problem with milking your celebrity, I have problems with people pretending that she's anything but a hood ornament of NASCAR. She's there because she's hot. If she was an ugly chick and raced the way she does, she would have been bounced out of the league eons ago.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #354 on: February 27, 2012, 07:10:14 AM

I have no problem with milking your celebrity, I have problems with people pretending that she's anything but a hood ornament of NASCAR. She's there because she's hot. If she was an ugly chick and raced the way she does, she would have been bounced out of the league eons ago.

Who is pretending otherwise?   awesome, for real
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #355 on: February 27, 2012, 09:02:34 AM

She's not even that hot.  No, really.  She's Glamour Shots hot.  Anyone with professional hair & makeup can look reasonably attractive.  She's an average woman with both in all the "hot" pics.  There should be a disclaimer on all such photoshopped & treated displays  "Person in Picture is Hotter than they appear."

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #356 on: February 27, 2012, 09:16:05 AM

She's hot for a NASCAR driver.   Ohhhhh, I see.

I agree with you though.  She doesn't do anything for me.  In the non photoshopped photos that you see of her she looks a little mannish for my tastes. 
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #357 on: February 27, 2012, 09:39:40 AM

Woman in a predominantly male sport (like all American sports, really). I can't wait for the first female placekicker in football.

Only thing I can't stand is the media paint-up of her. She can drive, we'll see how well she fairs in the coming years when she gets used to the bump and grind of closed-wheel stockcar racing.

And who gives a shit if she is using her gender to make some money? People do that all the time. I have more of a problem with how people play up Junior - considering he is the "face" of NASCAR with a pedigree. Outside of that, he is an average driver.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #358 on: February 27, 2012, 09:54:21 AM

Again, I don't have a problem with people using their gender to make money in sports. We invented a whole genre of "stupid reporter" called sideline reporting, just so hot chicks could have something moderately serious to do on camera during a game.

I just don't like novelty in racing. Win or don't win. That goes for Junior as well. He's as much of a freaking novelty as Danica, and just as terrible on the track.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #359 on: February 27, 2012, 10:55:22 AM

Woman in a predominantly male sport (like all American sports, really). I can't wait for the first female placekicker in football.

Not sure if green.

-Rasix
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #360 on: February 27, 2012, 12:54:42 PM

Not sure if green.

I assumed that he was talking about the NFL since we're discussing getting paid.
Terracotta Army

Reply #361 on: February 27, 2012, 01:19:35 PM

Not sure if green.

I assumed that he was talking about the NFL since we're discussing getting paid.

Yes, my mis-step there. I am talking on the professional level.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #362 on: February 27, 2012, 01:34:28 PM

Now if she would have kicked for LSU that would have been a completely different story.   awesome, for real

Rimshot
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #363 on: February 27, 2012, 03:56:25 PM

She was a novelty as well, though. I think she kicked 2 extra points and wrote a book about getting molested by the other players.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #364 on: February 27, 2012, 04:40:50 PM

Oh and Danica's crashed for the 3rd time this weekend. This time in the first lap along with JJ, and Bayne.

There goes ALL interest in the race. They singlehandedly took out the best racer, the novelty pick, and the defending champ in a matter of 5 minutes.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #365 on: February 27, 2012, 04:57:27 PM

From what I'm reading none of these crashes were actually her fault?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #366 on: February 27, 2012, 05:34:04 PM

No, apparently it was Elliott Sadler who nudged Jimmie Johnson into the wall and caused the pile up.
Terracotta Army

Reply #367 on: February 27, 2012, 05:34:10 PM

That doesn't actually seem to matter... all anyone seems to want to believe is that she wrecked again, must be that she is a bad driver. This is as far as I can go with it before I get pissed off.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #368 on: February 27, 2012, 05:36:10 PM

Paelos is never wrong about sports matters.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #369 on: February 27, 2012, 06:19:59 PM

No, women drivers, boys, women drivers!  If men are always wrong in all matters then women are always the problem drivers!  awesome, for real

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #370 on: February 27, 2012, 06:21:20 PM

I'm curious what percentage of drivers on the circuit she has to outperform to 'belong'.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #371 on: February 27, 2012, 06:34:01 PM

Are we seriously having a discussion about NASCAR?   Ohhhhh, I see.

Should we break out the banjos and moonshine?
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #372 on: February 27, 2012, 06:58:35 PM

Paelos is never wrong about sports matters.

She's not even the real news. It's been wreck after wreck with cautions coming out seven times, only to lead up to Montoya actually running into a drying truck and causing an explosion. So now everything's gone red flag, and the race is just a mess.

EDIT: I should mention that running into the truck caused a jet fuel leak and fire. So now it's about getting the jet fuel which caught ablaze off the track, in addition to checking that the track is functional. Which I think it may not be at this rate.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 07:05:45 PM by Paelos »

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #373 on: February 27, 2012, 07:10:11 PM

It's likely damaged beyond anything they can repair while the race is running.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #374 on: February 27, 2012, 07:11:39 PM

Now there's huge crews of people dumping sand or something literally across a turn in the track. It's not looking good for a pre-midnight finish.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #375 on: February 27, 2012, 07:14:14 PM

It's probably something to suck up all the fuel on the ground.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #376 on: February 27, 2012, 07:21:19 PM

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #377 on: February 27, 2012, 07:26:49 PM

In one of the funnier moments, now they are saying they have to scrub the track with dishwashing soap.  awesome, for real

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #378 on: February 27, 2012, 10:30:01 PM

Makes sense to me, that stuff is all about breaking through oils and junk. I also imagine they aren't just squirting a bottle of Dawn on the track and using some kind of concentrated solution.

Though if they are that would indeed be funny.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #379 on: February 27, 2012, 10:40:39 PM

Pretty amazing display of both emergency response and quick reconstruction of the crash site.  One of the more entertaining races I've seen in a while. Pretty rare when you have the dirvers out on the backstretch huddled around an iPhone playing with Twitter in the middle of a race while they try to repair the results of a conflagration.  Now if only a fist fight had broken out in the infield it would have been the best 500 evar!

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #380 on: February 27, 2012, 10:44:37 PM

Oh, and on Danica. It's not really her, it's her sponsors that really push her out there. Godaddy obviously paid Fox a ton of money to feature the car a certain number of times.  She is just using what she has to get paid and I can't fault anyone for doing that really.  She is a competent driver actually.  I mean, you are talking about drivers in the top .01 percent of the sport and she is in that mix not embarrassing herself.  None of her wrecks had anything to do with her driving. She was turned in the Nationwide and collected in the other wrecks.

Plus, anything unusual is going to get coverage. Look at the Lin stuff.  It's just the sports media mentality. They have to fill all that time with something
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 10:55:39 PM by Abagadro »

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #381 on: February 28, 2012, 02:29:07 AM

In one of the funnier moments, now they are saying they have to scrub the track with dishwashing soap.  awesome, for real

They do that for anything oily and greasy.  It became common practice around Cincinnati about 12 years ago when a tanker hauling rendered fat overturned on one of the major east-west overpasses. (I-74 & I-75 interchange.)  They couldn't find any commercial products typically used for road spills that would get rid of it.  Then one of the execs with P&G suggested using Dawn since it's specifically formulated to cut grease.   
Not Kidding.
Cleanup Pt. 2.

They also use plain old Dawn to clean animals affected by oil spills.  Same reason.

Terracotta Army

Reply #382 on: February 28, 2012, 06:56:09 AM

That was the most entertaining Daytona since I started watching NASCAR in 2000, but it was not for the racing per se. Seriously, the juggernaut, Jimmy Johnson gets punted (and Danica) in the first minutes of the race, couple big wrecks, god damn fireball wreck into a blower truck (rule change incoming), the "face" of NASCAR was actually in it (but had little chance the way that 18 car was able to run just about anyway it wanted), and a repeat champion (though Kenseth is more a wallflower on the circuit, he still has a nice resume). And all during primetime on Monday night... only thing that killed it was the duration. NASCAR tides me over till college football starts, so this was a nice spearhead into the season.

And in other news, anyone watch the interviews with RGIII from the combine? Christ he is impressive. Luck or RG3? I just can't imagine the Colts aren't at least curious about Griffin.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #383 on: February 28, 2012, 07:08:14 AM

Don't be fooled by the underpants Olympics. Luck is still the guy for Indy. They don't need to take any risks, and RG3 is still considered a risk.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #384 on: February 28, 2012, 09:46:42 AM

Yeah, Luck is regarded by some experts as the best QB prospect in the past 30 years.  He's the Colts' man. 
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 40 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Random Sports Discussion  
Jump to: