Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:53:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Random Sports Discussion 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Random Sports Discussion  (Read 329561 times)
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #280 on: January 10, 2012, 01:55:44 AM

I love fat pitchers, you bite your tongue!

God Save the Horn Players
WayAbvPar

Reply #281 on: January 10, 2012, 08:41:28 AM

DH is the dumbest thing in sports.  None of them should be eligible. Ohhhhh, I see.

It has been almost 40 years now...this is like complaining that the forward pass in football should be illegal. Get over it. If the position is legal, it should be represented in the HoF.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #282 on: January 10, 2012, 08:58:22 AM

DH is the dumbest thing in sports.  None of them should be eligible. Ohhhhh, I see.

It has been almost 40 years now...this is like complaining that the forward pass in football should be illegal. Get over it. If the position is legal, it should be represented in the HoF.

^ THIS. ^

Either get rid of it, or show the guys who did it for almost their entire careers some damn love. Edgar Martinez should be a first-ballot guy. That man played with two tin cans for knees through the last back of his career and still put up good numbers. AND he played over a decade for SEATTLE without complaints, asking to be traded or being a douchebag. This alone is worthy of note. You telling me Big Papi's numbers aren't worthy of HOF consideration because he didn't field badly at first base?

I don't like the DH, but this disrespect to the guys who played the position by the HOF is pretty fucking retarded. I don't see you shitheads putting shortstops in the HOF that were spectacular defensive players while hitting .186 over their careers. Stop being fucking hypocrites about hitters vs. fielders.

Of course, I have no problems with them freezing out juiced up assholes with necks larger than their heads. Sosa, Bonds, McGwire can all go choke on a bag of dicks as far as I'm concerned.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #283 on: January 10, 2012, 10:22:33 AM

Nope.  No DH in the HOF.  They're worse than punters.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #284 on: January 10, 2012, 11:06:27 AM

A great punter can make a serious impact on a game.  awesome, for real

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #285 on: January 10, 2012, 11:08:59 AM

I don't see you shitheads putting shortstops in the HOF that were spectacular defensive players while hitting .186 over their careers.

Not that I don't agree with you about putting DHs in the HoF, but Joe Tinker and Phil Rizzuto say hi.  why so serious?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #286 on: January 10, 2012, 11:36:35 AM

Two out of how many?  awesome, for real

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #287 on: January 19, 2012, 03:49:12 PM

Oboy. 

Utah school board says Cougar mascot too offensive to women.

I just really don't know what to say about this other than  ACK!.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #288 on: January 23, 2012, 05:55:24 PM

No one posting about JoePa? You people have failed me for the last time... why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #289 on: January 23, 2012, 07:13:17 PM

I figure that should probably go in the college football thread. 
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #290 on: January 24, 2012, 01:55:45 AM

No one posting about JoePa? You people have failed me for the last time... why so serious?

I can't bring myself to feel bad about it.  I don't want to bring up the reasons all over again.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #291 on: January 24, 2012, 10:20:18 AM

Joe Pa was a better man than most that coach.  I don't really feel bad for him because he led a great, long life.  He screwed up the molestation thing, but he did a lot of good in his life as well.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #292 on: January 24, 2012, 11:21:56 AM

It's about the whole picture, really.

Character is tested in the times when nobody is looking and nobody will know.

I will say this, though, his influence almost single-handedly brought instant replay into college football, which was a godsend.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #293 on: January 24, 2012, 11:31:25 AM

It's about the whole picture, really.

Character is tested in the times when nobody is looking and nobody will know.

I will say this, though, his influence almost single-handedly brought instant replay into college football, which was a godsend.

This may shock you, considering my bowl-centric views, but I don't like instant replay.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #294 on: January 24, 2012, 12:39:48 PM

I know why. You love controversy.

I like resolution, sir. Clarity!  awesome, for real

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #295 on: January 24, 2012, 12:49:51 PM

No.  Not at all.  I just have rarely seen a fucked up call that gets reversed where it would make a big difference in the game.  This is particularly so in college football.  I think they seem to do a better job of it in the pros, for some reason.  Maybe it's because they're pros.   awesome, for real
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #296 on: January 24, 2012, 03:21:02 PM

What replay has shown me in college football is that the refs fuck up all the time. Now, we can at least track them.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #297 on: January 24, 2012, 09:32:22 PM

No.  Not at all.  I just have rarely seen a fucked up call that gets reversed where it would make a big difference in the game.  This is particularly so in college football.  I think they seem to do a better job of it in the pros, for some reason.  Maybe it's because they're pros.   awesome, for real

Ironically the NFL refs are part-timers.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #298 on: January 25, 2012, 06:12:28 AM

I was making the point that they do the replay process better in the NFL, not that they are necessarily better refs. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #299 on: January 25, 2012, 06:24:14 AM

They both have upsides. The NFL system falls down on the fact that you only get 3 challenges even if you're right on all of them. They've expanded it to all scoring plays now, so that sorta evens it out some from the previous system, with the remainder done in the booth inside 2 minutes. The problem with the booth is that sometimes the coach really wants to challenge, but the booth doesn't buzz down in time, and everyone rushes inside the drill.

The college system falls down on the fact you review everything. I mean every damn turnover gets reviewed. The games are already so long that they take 3:30 minimum just to finish with all the TV timeouts, and you're extending it longer with the reviews. Then, the by-product is that the refs are taught to let the play go on a possible fumble because blowing it dead would kill the review. However, the call on the field reigns in a close call. So, by nature the refs are taught to give more questionable fumbles or turnovers since the review is there and killing the play is bad. Which leads to more reviews. And more time.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #300 on: January 25, 2012, 06:46:21 AM

And that is why I think it would be better just to let the game flow.  I think that the refs also depend a bit on the replay at this point, making the "safe" call instead of trying to make the right call.  For instance, they will call someone in bounds, knowing that there will have to be incontrovertible evidence to overturn that call, thus taking all risk out of the play for themselves.  I don't like that.  If they are going to depend upon the replay that much they should just get rid of all on field referees and do everything via video review.  It will get quicker as they do it more and utilize the technology in a more efficient manner.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #301 on: January 25, 2012, 06:52:20 AM

I think there's a better middle ground than that.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #302 on: January 25, 2012, 07:23:08 AM

Maybe, but I have seen 2-5 minute disruptions of play for replay calls, when all they did was uphold the original call.  I'm not sure how you get away from that when the refs are using replay as a crutch.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #303 on: January 25, 2012, 03:38:23 PM

Jerry Sandusky: I’ll Never Forget All The Things Joe Paterno Did For Me

STATE COLLEGE, PA—As thousands of mourners gathered at Penn State's campus spiritual center Wednesday afternoon to say their farewells to Joe Paterno, former assistant coach Jerry Sandusky took the opportunity to express his "deep, everlasting gratitude" for everything his late mentor had done for him.

"When I think of how much of my life I owe to Joe Paterno, I don't even know where to begin," said Sandusky, who confessed to feeling "overcome" while attending the former football coach's funeral. "I think it's safe to say I wouldn't have been able to lead the life I've led, wouldn't have grown into the man I've become, if it hadn't been for his leadership. I can't even begin to imagine what would have become of me if not for Joe Paterno."

"Truly, he gave me a place where I could reach my full potential—not just as a coach, but as a man," continued Sandusky, his voice cracking. "So many of my accomplishments would not have been possible without him and the unique atmosphere he created at Penn State."

Paterno and Sandusky enjoyed a relationship stretching back almost 50 years, with each helping the other to pursue his passion. Sandusky said that while it was true the two men harbored different dreams, aspirations, and desires, Paterno was careful never to stand in his way. In fact, he affirmed, Paterno's wholehearted attention to the overall success and reputation of Penn State football allowed Sandusky to focus on building his own legacy at Happy Valley, where he was always able to go after what he wanted most.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #304 on: January 26, 2012, 07:48:02 AM

The single act of inaction, of overlooking a heinous crime done right under his nose, wipes out all the positives of JoePa as far as I am concerned.  How many kids got raped that could have been prevented?

Bah, I don't want to go there again.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #305 on: January 26, 2012, 08:17:59 AM

The inaction means more to me because most of his "good deeds" revolve around giving money or support to the University. So what? You supported higher learning. Good for you. That's about 11th on my charitable giving things I can really give a shit about. Giving to rich institutions so they can create more rich people in Pennsylvania, whoopdedoo.

Meanwhile, dozens of kids had their lives irreparably shattered because he cared about a football reputation instead of protecting the innocent victim. And the "I'm old, I didn't understand" thing doesn't fly with me. My grandfather is 95 and understood exactly what this was when it came up. That defense has been tried by aging Mafia dons in the past and it didn't fly then either.

Terracotta Army

Reply #306 on: January 26, 2012, 09:09:18 AM

Tough crowd here. I can't agree, but meh. Not worth the discussion.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #307 on: January 26, 2012, 09:26:20 AM

Yeah, I don't agree either.  Everyone makes mistakes.  I bet if Paterno could have done it over again he would have handled the situation differently.  I don't think he was being self serving in his treatment of Sandusky and I guarantee that he thought he was doing the right thing at the time.  That incident doesn't take away from his lifetime of achievements. 
WayAbvPar

Reply #308 on: January 26, 2012, 09:34:02 AM

It absolutely does. If his inaction let even one kid get fondled or raped or whatever, it absolutely does. Football is a game...Sandusky was ruining lives and Paterno could have done more to stop it.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #309 on: January 26, 2012, 09:42:48 AM

I don't think he was being self serving in his treatment of Sandusky and I guarantee that he thought he was doing the right thing at the time.

I guarantee that his version of the right thing was: "I absolutely cannot let something like this damage the institution I love. We have to get rid of this guy."

Not: "I absolutely cannot allow children to continue to be molested. I need to report this to the police."

It's the same moral failing the Catholics ran into. They believed that it would cause too much damage to the good that the institution was doing.

I don't think he was trying to be self-serving at all. I think his priorities were completely fucked up.

Terracotta Army

Reply #310 on: January 26, 2012, 10:03:36 AM

I don't think he was being self serving in his treatment of Sandusky and I guarantee that he thought he was doing the right thing at the time.

I guarantee that his version of the right thing was: "I absolutely cannot let something like this damage the institution I love. We have to get rid of this guy."

Not: "I absolutely cannot allow children to continue to be molested. I need to report this to the police."

It's the same moral failing the Catholics ran into. They believed that it would cause too much damage to the good that the institution was doing.

I don't think he was trying to be self-serving at all. I think his priorities were completely fucked up.

That is a huge assumption/speculation. But I cannot get into this pit of despair or risk the life sucked right outta me.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #311 on: January 26, 2012, 10:31:15 AM

The actions speak pretty loud that a guy in line for a head coaching position was suddenly retiring at 55, after working under a coach that continued coaching well into his 80s. Hell, the average age of a head football coach is aged 51 in the NCAA.

They all knew in 1999, three years before the alleged McQueary conversations. When they were told again, they had to go through the motions to keep the story quite. And it worked well for another 8 years.

Is it an assumption? Sure. Is it huge? Hell no. The Hawaii head coach just retired and he's 66. Very few people retire from college coaching at 55. Hell you don't even get a shot at a good job anymore until you are in your late 30s usually.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #312 on: January 26, 2012, 07:58:40 PM

Well, we've already rehashed this same shit about 20 times and none of us has changed our opinion yet so fuck it.  Let's talk about something else, such as Phil Knight's sweatshop loving self sticking his nose in a place it doesn't belong
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #313 on: February 08, 2012, 08:10:35 PM

Duke just put a dagger in UNC. Wow. You don't see many better college basketball games outside the Madness!

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #314 on: February 09, 2012, 01:36:12 PM

Yall must really hate college basketball if you can't even get fired up about a couple of these games on during Rivalry week.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 40 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Random Sports Discussion  
Jump to: