Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:00:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  RIFT  |  Topic: Rift PvP 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rift PvP  (Read 57985 times)
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: August 12, 2011, 04:09:26 PM

Latest update had a whole bunch of PVP ONLY balance fixes for skills.  Isn't this what people have been asking for?

I would be excited about this had it not been for the fact that Trion released PvP Rifts which people have been exploiting.  In a single day exploiters have earned as much valor as it took me 3 months to obtain.   The nerf to healing also took pvp in the wrong direction.  I'm pretty much done with Rift and just spinning my wheels waiting for SWTOR to release.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 04:23:13 PM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: August 12, 2011, 05:15:17 PM

How were pvp rifts exploitable? fuck, i always miss all the good bugs.

I am the .00000001428%
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #37 on: August 12, 2011, 06:04:12 PM

On some servers the two sides been cooperating to maximize rewards for both sides. It's like in PlanetSide how people used to trade captures in the caves to get the BFR cert faster.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #38 on: August 12, 2011, 08:01:02 PM

Latest update had a whole bunch of PVP ONLY balance fixes for skills.  Isn't this what people have been asking for?
I'd be happier if they didn't need to "fix" pve skills for pvp...  Beating a Dead Horse  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

But I'm also spinning wheels for TOR, though I'm happy with the probably release window, it should be about perfect for actually getting some project knocked off the list, wood in the garage and everything locked down for winter, then..catass ahoy!
Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

Reply #39 on: August 17, 2011, 09:58:25 AM

How were pvp rifts exploitable? fuck, i always miss all the good bugs.

If you somehow got organized with the enemy, say on vent or something, you could trade-off by popping a rift, picking up the stones, walking 5 feet and clicking off the buff to drop the stone and letting the enemy pick it up.  200 prestige/favor for everyone in the picking-up group.  Do that for the 15min duration of the rift, then the other side opens it rinse/repeat.  It was roughly ~20k prestige every 30minutes (15 mins really, but the other side got a turn where you made 0 while they picked up the stones.)

This is all hypothetical of course.

On an unrelated note, my alt hit rank 4, yay!
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: August 27, 2011, 06:08:52 AM

I am playing on a PvP server and am currently level 35. Does the game have much open world PvP? Do you ever reach a stage where players are fighting over objectives in the world?

I've been doing the warfronts quite a lot but I think what I really want is a game like Rift (or Warhammer) which doesn't have warfronts or anything like them at all.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: August 27, 2011, 07:00:06 AM

Depends on your server, but for the most part world pvp is dead in most mmo.

For open world, I think your best bets are coming up with GW2 and Prime
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: August 27, 2011, 01:14:19 PM

There is always a lot of world pvp around the pvp daily areas. 

I am the .00000001428%
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: August 29, 2011, 10:05:29 AM

I am playing on a PvP server and am currently level 35. Does the game have much open world PvP? Do you ever reach a stage where players are fighting over objectives in the world?

I've been doing the warfronts quite a lot but I think what I really want is a game like Rift (or Warhammer) which doesn't have warfronts or anything like them at all.

I'm not on a PvP server, but I recently reached the Iron Pine Peaks zone for the first time and wondered how that area is doing from an open world PvP perspective. The Chancel of Labors has Defiant and Guardian camps literally on the opposite side of the building from each other. Then a little farther out, there is White Fall and Sanctuary, Defiant and Guardian outposts that are separated by a single short bridge.  I would think those would be PvP hot spots on a PvP server.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
March
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: August 31, 2011, 01:42:43 PM

http://community.riftgame.com/en/2011/08/31/pvp-gear-improvements-%E2%80%93-now-with-a-touch-of-vengeance/

New PvP stat for gear.

I'm studiously ignoring PvP in this WoW clone... so no comment on whether this will "fix" PvP.  My magic eight ball, however, says: outlook not so good.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: August 31, 2011, 01:44:11 PM

This is really the most important part:

With this Hot Fix you will find that all 4 PvP sets will share the same amount of total valor. This means that the set earned in Ranks 1 & 2 has the same amount of valor as provided by the set earned over Ranks 7 & 8. How much? It works out to 751 Valor, or a 30.04% Damage Reduction. Instead of being differentiated by survivability, they will be differentiated by their main stats.

I am the .00000001428%
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: August 31, 2011, 01:56:46 PM

I won't remove the fact that you have to repeat playing the same 4 BG's a million times before you get competitive gear.  By competitive, I mean on equal footing with all of the people that cheated to get their pvp gear.   why so serious?

They're trying.  I'll give them that. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: August 31, 2011, 05:34:29 PM

I won't remove the fact that you have to repeat playing the same 4 BG's a million times before you get competitive gear.  By competitive, I mean on equal footing with all of the people that cheated to get their pvp gear.   why so serious?

The amount of people who abused PVP Rifts is so much smaller than the community at large that is PVPing.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: August 31, 2011, 06:16:32 PM

The amount of people who abused PVP Rifts is so much smaller than the community at large that is PVPing.

The minority that did abuse pvp rifts had a notable impact on deterring new 50's and low rank players from participating for at least a week or two.  It was obvious from the change in queue times, which I noted playing as both defiant and guardian on two different clusters. 

For me personally, it was a nice excuse to walk away from the game.  I was bored to tears with the repetitive dungeon grind and after running GSB and RoS a few times, I had no interest in looking for a raiding guild.  PvP was the only reason to log on and that got ruined when I started seeing fully geared rank 8's a few days after the patch. 

-  Mark Twain
Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

Reply #49 on: August 31, 2011, 06:29:18 PM

Every single person in my guild that may have allegedly "abused" pvp rifts had their favor, prestige, tokens, gear, etc rolled back to pre-pvp-rift levels, and most got hit for a little extra.  I probably got about 80k prestige out of the 5-8 pvp rifts we traded stone drops with the defiants on, and they took away 140k prestige, all of my marks, most of my favor, my R3/4 crystal, and at least 2 pieces of R4 gear, one of which was replaced with the r2 variant.

So yeah, I don't think there are that many people running around with 'cheated' gear, I only did it for 2 nights, a few rifts each night, and nowhere near the level some of these guys were doing.  Apparently the first hotfix was because there were people who figured out how to simultaneously open 3 pvp rifts at once in a zone, and were going from R1-R8 in a day.  With only 1 pvp rift it was possible to get between 10-20k prestige/20mins if you picked up/dropped the crystals fast enough to keep the max spawn rate.  3 of those at once, with a few "enemy" alts to play crystal ferry, and you're looking at ~100-200k prestige per hour, or R6-R8 in <5hours.

If they're nailing people who got <100k prestige total out of the "abuse", I'm pretty sure the folks who pulled in >500k/1M got fucked long before the little guys.  Hell, they even hit one of my friends alts for like 100k prestige, and he only 'abused' on his main.  I wouldn't be shocked to find out a lot of folks got rolled back 20-60k and never did anything other than legitimate pvp rifts, it seemed very poorly done - but that's how 90% of any CS interactions with Trion feel, so meh.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: August 31, 2011, 06:41:13 PM

I quit when I got repeatedly rolled on two different clusters by fully geared, rank 8 premades just days after the patch.  I never waited around to see that Trion did anything about it.  

Thanks for the update, Nerf.  It gives me more respect for the Trion team.  
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 06:42:49 PM by Nebu »

-  Mark Twain
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: September 01, 2011, 05:04:31 AM

I'm not on a PvP server, but I recently reached the Iron Pine Peaks zone for the first time and wondered how that area is doing from an open world PvP perspective. The Chancel of Labors has Defiant and Guardian camps literally on the opposite side of the building from each other. Then a little farther out, there is White Fall and Sanctuary, Defiant and Guardian outposts that are separated by a single short bridge.  I would think those would be PvP hot spots on a PvP server.

I've made my way to Iron Pine peaks and it is good fun. You have PvP Rifts, and often run into the other side just doing quests.

I'm too low to be there really, but some of the Guardian characters have been pretty cool and left my defiant character alone. If only they knew what a heartless bastard I am when I get the chance for an easy kill  Grin
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: September 02, 2011, 06:40:40 AM

Every single person in my guild that may have allegedly "abused" pvp rifts had their favor, prestige, tokens, gear, etc rolled back to pre-pvp-rift levels, and most got hit for a little extra.  I probably got about 80k prestige out of the 5-8 pvp rifts we traded stone drops with the defiants on, and they took away 140k prestige, all of my marks, most of my favor, my R3/4 crystal, and at least 2 pieces of R4 gear, one of which was replaced with the r2 variant.

So yeah, I don't think there are that many people running around with 'cheated' gear, I only did it for 2 nights, a few rifts each night, and nowhere near the level some of these guys were doing.  Apparently the first hotfix was because there were people who figured out how to simultaneously open 3 pvp rifts at once in a zone, and were going from R1-R8 in a day.  With only 1 pvp rift it was possible to get between 10-20k prestige/20mins if you picked up/dropped the crystals fast enough to keep the max spawn rate.  3 of those at once, with a few "enemy" alts to play crystal ferry, and you're looking at ~100-200k prestige per hour, or R6-R8 in <5hours.

If they're nailing people who got <100k prestige total out of the "abuse", I'm pretty sure the folks who pulled in >500k/1M got fucked long before the little guys.  Hell, they even hit one of my friends alts for like 100k prestige, and he only 'abused' on his main.  I wouldn't be shocked to find out a lot of folks got rolled back 20-60k and never did anything other than legitimate pvp rifts, it seemed very poorly done - but that's how 90% of any CS interactions with Trion feel, so meh.

It seems to me like it was brilliantly done.

I am the .00000001428%
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: September 08, 2011, 10:04:15 AM

Rift is full of the same bull shit every MMO seems to do to screw over PvPers starting with Gear.  PvE for gear vs PvP for gear is about 20x more grind for PvPers.  Then when you finally get that "high end" pvp gear the PvE gear is still better.  Mix with this the premades vs pugs problem which still exists, gj on that fix morons.  Then add in doing PvE quests for PvP points where the daily area is for a rogue what a playground is for a pedophile.  Moving to warfronts its still better for healers to DPS for maximum favor so most games even if you get 5 healers 1 actually heals and the other 4 play DPS cle....MAGE.  Addition of valor was nothing short of stupid f'ing stupid and healers STILL benefit from this more then anyone else.  Not sure why every MMO has to shit on PvPers or at the least blend their combined brain power to come up with a warm cup of dumb. 
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: October 01, 2011, 06:39:04 PM

Thanks to the recent patch, I resubbed to this game, and based on all of your guys advice, I rolled a defiant because I didn't want to play on the eternally losing side in pvp. Well thanks a lot assholes. I finally get a free weekend to play, and the defiants have literally not won a single warfront the entire time.

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Ralence
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: October 02, 2011, 08:42:16 PM

Thanks to the recent patch, I resubbed to this game, and based on all of your guys advice, I rolled a defiant because I didn't want to play on the eternally losing side in pvp. Well thanks a lot assholes. I finally get a free weekend to play, and the defiants have literally not won a single warfront the entire time.

Transfer to Briarcliff, Threesprings, Harrow, Silkweb, Gnarlwood, Byriel they own the cluster on the Defiant side.

Which brings me to an actual gripe, why the hell did they not cluster all the PvP servers together?  My PvE server (Threesprings), which I didn't realize had forum members on it until recently, is clustered with;

Briarcliff (PvP)
Byriel (PvE)
Gnarlwood (PvE)
Harrow (PvP-RP)
Silkweb (PvE)
Snarebrush (PvE)

Suprisingly enough, on the two PvP servers the Defiant dominate, and that translates to the WF's as well.  I'm willing to bet 90% of the players I see in the WF's are from Briarcliff every day.  Wouldn't creating clusters of the PvP players and PvE players make more sense?  I'm on the Guardian side, and most likely going to transfer out of the cluster to one that's at least slightly competitive.  Just seems like shitty planning to me.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #56 on: October 03, 2011, 01:42:09 AM

Library of the Runemasters (new WF), or whatever is the name, with 100% Prestige/Favor potions basically made everyone into R8 over the past weekend. Not a bad thing, if you ask me. And if you missed it, next weekend will be the same.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: October 03, 2011, 07:54:25 AM

So I've been playing with a 30ASN 16 NB and 20 RS build in pvp and I'm looooooving it.  I can actually can do damage and kill people.  Much better damage and kill ability than any Slip-Away stealth build.

Survivability is your escapability.  No stealthing but shifting and blinking all over the place.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: October 03, 2011, 11:26:48 AM

So I've been playing with a 30ASN 16 NB and 20 RS build in pvp and I'm looooooving it.  I can actually can do damage and kill people.  Much better damage and kill ability than any Slip-Away stealth build.

Survivability is your escapability.  No stealthing but shifting and blinking all over the place.

Ive been playing Marksman more lately, having fun staying at range.  Respecd quite a few times trying to get down that perfect balance of surv and Dmg. 
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: October 03, 2011, 11:30:56 AM

I play a MM build as well, and it's a lot of fun.  If I have an average team, I'll go melee.  If my team sucks, I'll go MM.
Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: October 03, 2011, 03:03:51 PM

My pvp gear is *far* too crap for me to consider anything but marksman really. I only have the initial first 4 items and don't get much time to play so I'm not going to hit a high prestige rank unfortunately. Getting in close just isn't an option when anyone nearby will shred you in seconds.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: October 03, 2011, 08:04:55 PM

Reason 1 of a thousand why I don't bother with pvp.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: October 04, 2011, 04:29:31 AM

Reason 1 of a thousand why I don't bother with pvp.

Carebear
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: October 04, 2011, 05:21:12 AM

Other than slightly more hps the higher rank pvp gear doesn't give more survivability.

I am the .00000001428%
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: October 04, 2011, 06:04:32 AM

Other than slightly more hps the higher rank pvp gear doesn't give more survivability.

True, but it does open up the synergy crystals and adding in the world pvp trinket and sigil can add 150 valor.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: October 04, 2011, 06:45:05 AM

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: October 04, 2011, 07:57:03 AM

True, but it does open up the synergy crystals and adding in the world pvp trinket and sigil can add 150 valor.

Actually no, those come from order of the eye rep which is tied entirely to order of the eye rep which comes from world pvp dailies and pvp rifts only.  After rank 2 the only ways to get more valor are order of the eye rep and the port scion head enchant.

I am the .00000001428%
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: October 04, 2011, 02:29:48 PM

The Unseen is the Defiant version.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: October 06, 2011, 08:37:24 AM

Fuck, they just nerfed the massive prestige/favor/exp everyone was getting from the pvp accolades.

I am the .00000001428%
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: October 06, 2011, 10:44:56 AM

Apparently people were sitting in WF's allowing other people to go "on rampages" and each team would take turns wracking up the xp.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  RIFT  |  Topic: Rift PvP  
Jump to: