Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:00:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Can a solo player still mess with people in EvE? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can a solo player still mess with people in EvE?  (Read 6210 times)
TheWall
Terracotta Army

on: July 07, 2011, 09:55:04 AM

I've been playing a PvP server on WoW for a while but there has basically been nothing to do since Cataclysm as no one leaves the capital cities anymore. So I thought I might try EvE again.

I've never really gotten anywhere in EvE as I am unable to control my own asshole tendancies. The very first thing I learned to do was steal from jetcans. The low level pvp I got from that was fun. Then people caught on and just quit defending their ore.

Then I learned to scan for mission runners and go steal their jetcan loot which made for some decent less noobie pvp where I got to try and pop battlecruisers and battleships with my cruiser. Eventually though people realized their laser crystals were not worth defending.

Every time I tried low sec pvp I got destroyed by groups. Null sec was the same thing.

So I guess I'm looking for a reason to come back. Feel free to PM me if you feel your anti-social gaming behavior is something you want to keep under wraps.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 12:50:21 PM

As you can see from the other threads in the EVE subforums here, CCP's been working on avatars for quite some time, and that really adds nothing to the spaceships gameplay.  The PVP stuff you're describing sounds like the current norm of things, still.  They haven't re-balanced ships, they haven't changed anything about super-capitals, warfare mechanics, FW, piracy, flagging, war declaration mechanics, etc., so, basically, anything PVP is just about the same as it was.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 01:43:25 PM

You need friends, most of lowsec is owned by one pirate group or another and they either rumble with each other or shoot newbs.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 06:37:48 PM

You might like wormholes.  While there are groups that hang out in wormholes, much of the combat is 1v1, 2v1.   But there is a lot to learn about stalking other ships in WH space.  You should join a PvP corp that does wormholes.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 07:17:26 PM

Just join one of the pirate groups - it really is a lot more fun to hang out with just 1 or 2 other players and do that stuff. Then you can work on small group tactics and find ways to trick people into death traps.

- Viin
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 03:58:53 AM

It's very difficult and frustrating to solo in 0.0, you really need 3 accounts to do it properly, 2 minimum.

I would recommend joining an Empire merc group, if you join a Pirate corp you'll end up with -10 sec rating and really just a smaller scale blob than 0.0. (+gate guns). Both of them will end up with a lot of station docking games but if you get a good merc group you'll be able to solo wardecs a fair bit. One I'd recommend, but I know they don't take walk ins, is Snatch Victory. Most decent merc groups will ask for a semblance of killboard history. Another option if you have a bit of Isk is to set up your own corp and wardec care bear corps or other soft targets.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 04:03:47 AM

Another thing you could try is ganking haulers in hi-sec it's, not exactly PvP but it's lucrative and fun. Downsides are you need 2-3 accounts on the go & one is going to lose sec rating.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Stabs
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 10:17:58 AM

You might like wormholes.  While there are groups that hang out in wormholes, much of the combat is 1v1, 2v1.   But there is a lot to learn about stalking other ships in WH space.  You should join a PvP corp that does wormholes.

Just to comment on this - WH is not fun if you can't scan. Ideally you want to have a scanning alt.

Also scanning is not simply a matter of skill queueing. Really good scanners can find you without their probes being visible for more than 2 seconds, can find you while you're warping from safe to safe and so on. If you're not practiced with D-scan and System scanner it's tough going against people who are.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 07:54:38 PM

Just to comment on this - WH is not fun if you can't scan. Ideally you want to have a scanning alt.

Also scanning is not simply a matter of skill queueing. Really good scanners can find you without their probes being visible for more than 2 seconds, can find you while you're warping from safe to safe and so on. If you're not practiced with D-scan and System scanner it's tough going against people who are.

Yup, this is all part of the "lot to learn" I mentioned.  It's interesting to learn and tough to master.
Stabs
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 03:11:15 PM

Quite so. The cat and mouse cloak and scan gameplay of wormhole space is the closest Eve comes to skill-based gameplay.

It may not be what was wanted however. W-space has the lowest density of newbies of any part of Eve.
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 10, 2011, 04:53:13 PM

If you want to do nothing but posting, train a stealth bomber, cloak in the home system or heavily populated ratting capital of your enemies, and debate them in local. Every now and then decloak and try and hit something undocking. Stay logged in while you're at work/sleeping and watch the raging in local while you're gone.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 01:47:02 PM

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 08:11:37 PM

I read the whole thing.

I know understand why people say the forum drama is better than the game.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #13 on: October 31, 2011, 09:19:32 PM

Just to echo what everyone else is saying - EvE is a mostly terrible game made great by moments of madness usually involving your friends and enemies. I'm usually an anti-social solo type, but not in EvE -  that's really a dedicated path. Join a corp. Shit up local, get blown up, have fun.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 09:22:05 PM by squirrel »

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 03:42:07 AM

Suicide-gank four mackinaws at once in a tempest.  You'll even make a profit.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Can a solo player still mess with people in EvE?  
Jump to: