Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:51:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Webcomic thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Webcomic thread  (Read 122354 times)
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #175 on: July 28, 2015, 10:20:44 AM

Broodhollow is back again, but is updating sporadically and infrequently since Straub has a baby now and did a kickstarter.

Also Unsounded is really good and on Patreon now.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #176 on: July 28, 2015, 10:22:21 AM

PA's regular stuff is now 100% unfunny after occasional signs of funny were thoroughly exterminated. I think a few of the occasional 'make no sense' interludes actually show some narrative and artistic promise but I think it's pretty characteristic that neither of them seem able to carry through on the ideas in those one-off things and sustain the effort. It's more like a sketchbook of half-baked ideas and premises and then it's back to the same jokes about video games and penises, recycling shit just like the real comics pages in the newspapers do.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #177 on: July 28, 2015, 10:37:46 AM

They entered "The Dad Zone" like 2-3 years ago and are eternally lost.

Also Tycho is a really fucking horrible writer and needs to be tasked to something else, while a better funnier writer is hired. He has thus-far ruined every single side-project they've ever done with nonsense prose or really, really bad pacing. He seems to like going for "show not tell" while forgetting the show part.

Like this abortion they have going on now is based on an idea that Gabe had where, "What if the monsters that kids claimed to see in their closets and such were real and only parents could see them?". Like actual monsters and not "monster people" like Monsters INC. Somehow that turned into this fucking nonsense where no one talks like actual people if they talk at all and nothing makes sense.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #178 on: July 31, 2015, 05:54:06 AM

Tycho's always been up his own ass about what a good writer he thinks he is, despite having the actual command of a late teen writing emo poetry. It's a good portion of why I never liked the comic even at it's peak.

Having a large fan base feeding that ego and telling him it's all wonderful doesn't help.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #179 on: July 31, 2015, 11:48:29 AM

This PA stuff is garbage. Its not even nice looking garbage.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #180 on: July 31, 2015, 07:27:21 PM

what in the holy fuck is this current thing hes doing even mean seriously

Like, he does a one page thing that obviously was mostly inspired/frame/predrawn by Gabe, and turns it into this fucking nonsense

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: August 01, 2015, 03:01:21 PM

Holy fuck, he just had to actually post in the forums to explain what the fuck it was all about.

That's... I mean, that's epic fail right there.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #182 on: August 01, 2015, 04:13:23 PM

I hadn't read Unsounded before. Guess what just happened to the last four hours. Great stuff.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #183 on: August 01, 2015, 05:38:49 PM

I hadn't read Unsounded before. Guess what just happened to the last four hours. Great stuff.
It's really super good. The art and 4th-wall breaking on the borders is amazing. And she puts out 3 pages a week with far more regularity than just about all webcomic authors that make like 5x more on Patreon.

Incidentally, I hope the dude that does Dresden Codak gets hit by a bus. What a worthless shit. Why do people give him money again? Like 1 shitty page almost every other month? And he's a stupid piece of shit on top of it.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #184 on: August 01, 2015, 08:18:47 PM

Because he's "deep" in the way pseudo-intellectuals on the web adore. Lots of degrees without applying them, excessive pedantry and the cocksure naive idealism of a late teen.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #185 on: August 01, 2015, 08:50:09 PM

I've only read a few complete "issues" of Dr. McNinja, but holy fuck is it funny.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #186 on: August 01, 2015, 08:51:45 PM

Just a reminder that in the year of our lord 2015, Tim Buckley of CtrlAltDel, the guy who made loss.jpg, puts out more consistent and interesting content now than Penny Arcade and most of the webcomic darlings. Up is down and black is white.

But maybe I have the brain damage since I'm the only person who doesn't find Lacksadaisy Cats very good past the art- which is indeed very very good.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #187 on: August 02, 2015, 01:46:08 PM

You have brain damage, Lacksadaisy is delightful.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #188 on: August 02, 2015, 02:45:57 PM

I never heard of it till now.  I took one look at the current page that's up, and gagged.  Dear god, Furry's and hipster Victorian fetish combined.  Blaarrrggg.

Maybe I'll give it a go some other time if people insist its actually decent.  But I had a visceral negative reaction to that immediately.

Dr. McNinja, on the other hand, has had me actually laughing out loud like no web comic has in a long time.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: August 02, 2015, 03:46:18 PM

It's set in prohibition St. Louis, the cats are booze runners!

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #190 on: August 02, 2015, 04:07:43 PM

It's literally just the author being like, "I want to talk about rumrunners during prohibition but drawing regular people is kinda boring. I'll make them all cats." rather than some furry thing, which the author gets really, really frustrated about.

I just don't find it very interesting despite the exceptionally good art.

Edit: Another thing I just thought of that makes the PA stuff even worse is that if you look at Unsounded- 99% of the stuff from it is pulled from nearly a decade of the artist's open RP game she played with friends. Like- open RP with no game system, just a GM who makes decisions and counts on players actually roleplaying. So basically it has this ridiculously huge body of apocrypha to pull from but she -never- puts anything in the comic that itself is not explained by the comic at some point. You do not need to go to a wiki or have some autistic weirdo who somehow intuited everything to explain it to you.

I read Gabe's explanation of the comic just now and it sorta makes sense. Like it's still terrible, but I have no idea how you were supposed to figure out what the fuck any of that meant.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 07:41:08 PM by Fabricated »

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: August 04, 2015, 10:23:57 PM

Fabricated explained it well, he's clearly taken 'show don't tell' to heart but is using it in a format that requires pretty explicit depiction (with only 3 or 4 frames to work with) and obviously hasn't actually communicated this to Gabe. Like, maybe you could get that understanding after reading the whole series but they make no attempt to link 'spiders' with the monster depicted later. They don't make it very clear that the young girl depicted is the same as the older girl shown later and they never connect the monster to either parent. Why is the mother dying in hospital? Well that would be boring narrative and is clearly beneath him.

Perry Bible Fellowship is still publishing too and it's the one webcomic that's actually gotten me to buy something.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: August 05, 2015, 12:06:55 AM

I bought some Hark! a Vagrant t-shirts back in the day.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #193 on: August 22, 2015, 01:12:45 PM

Man, I hate Ctl+Alt+Del even more than PA.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #194 on: August 23, 2015, 02:12:16 PM

His side story stuff can at least be followed.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #195 on: August 24, 2015, 02:02:51 PM

Also mega update for unsounded today. It rules.

Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #196 on: August 25, 2015, 06:39:16 AM

I'd never heard of it before this post.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #197 on: August 25, 2015, 05:18:43 PM

I'd never heard of it before this post.
It's good.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #198 on: August 26, 2015, 05:24:08 AM

It's really compelling. Visually fantastic as well.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #199 on: August 26, 2015, 10:37:02 AM

It is pretty good - I read it for about an hour last night. Love the art work.

- Viin
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #200 on: August 26, 2015, 10:47:40 AM

Can the lazy get a link up in this thread?

In an effort to not be completely useless - have a link to Death Vigil.  It's sort of a webcomic, mostly because you can read all 8 chapters online at his dA account, but it's also been published offline, too.  I really like his art and he has a few other series he's done but I haven't read them yet, for whatever reason.

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #201 on: August 26, 2015, 11:58:35 AM

- Viin
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #202 on: August 26, 2015, 09:29:39 PM

Well damn.  That is an awesome comic.  Only made it up to chapter 8 tonight; I'll have to finish the rest tomorrow night.

Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #203 on: August 27, 2015, 06:28:40 AM

Wow, how had I never heard of Unsounded before.  Just hit chapter four and am really enjoying it.  Some interesting world building going on, often very funny, sometimes very dark, overall well done.

Love little sight gags like the tip jar there...

I am extremely fond of Even Dahm's Vattu, which is epic stuff but updates between 1-3 pages a week, and slow to unfold.  It is seriously long-form (almost 700 pages and I think nearing the halfway mark).  Highly recommended, but might be good to check in with quarterly and read in chunks if you find slowly-unfolding-grand-scale-storytelling to be frustrating in serial form.  http://www.rice-boy.com/vattu/

It's sad to me to see how little some fantastic artists make on Patreon compared to how much certain talentless hacks rake in.  Guess in all things it's about finding your audience and selling to them.  It is cool to see some folks making great art and being able to be supported by something other than crappy banner ads.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #204 on: August 27, 2015, 09:07:37 AM

And there goes the last two hours. Vattu is good, though for some reason the first part reminded me of playing Spore..
Thanks for the link!

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #205 on: August 27, 2015, 09:13:27 AM

Read the first chapter of Unsounded and all I could think at the end was how much I didn't like Sette and had hoped he would just let her die.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 09:15:25 AM by Thrawn »

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #206 on: August 27, 2015, 10:27:32 AM

Just wrapped up chapter seven and wow, it does get very dark at times.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #207 on: August 27, 2015, 11:04:13 AM

Read the first chapter of Unsounded and all I could think at the end was how much I didn't like Sette and had hoped he would just let her die.
The author kinda has deep regrets about that chapter because of how much a shit Sette is in it. She softens up pretty steadily, and gets the shit knocked out of her a lot later. Also her homelife is really not good.

Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #208 on: August 27, 2015, 11:07:13 AM

The author kinda has deep regrets about that chapter because of how much a shit Sette is in it. She softens up pretty steadily, and gets the shit knocked out of her a lot later. Also her homelife is really not good.

I read a few more chapters today already and it's certainly improved and I'm well into 7 now.  Glad people here were praising it or I probably wouldn't have pushed on.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #209 on: August 27, 2015, 01:05:46 PM

I dig all of the fun 4th wall breaking stuff the artist does with the webpage and frames off and on.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Webcomic thread  
Jump to: