Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 08:38:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Another One Bites the Dust: SWG Edition! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 32 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Another One Bites the Dust: SWG Edition!  (Read 289746 times)
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #770 on: April 13, 2015, 09:55:36 AM

I like to think I would take a principled stand too, but I wouldn't do it without another job lined up-- according to his CV, Gordon was unemployed for 8 months between SOE and Bioware Austin. That's brass balls right there.

I mean, if they were leaking toxic waste into elementary schools, sure. I'd walk away from that. But not a customer unfriendly videogame change.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #771 on: April 13, 2015, 05:18:10 PM

Be able to walk away on principles could be entirely down to just how set up you are to be without a job for a significant amount of time.

Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #772 on: April 14, 2015, 07:26:41 AM

I like to think I would take a principled stand too, but I wouldn't do it without another job lined up-- according to his CV, Gordon was unemployed for 8 months between SOE and Bioware Austin. That's brass balls right there.

I mean, if they were leaking toxic waste into elementary schools, sure. I'd walk away from that. But not a customer unfriendly videogame change.

That change might well have gotten him fired anyway. I think he saw the writing on the wall and took the smart, and principled route out.

"You finally did it, you magnificent bastards. You went so nerd that even I don't know WTF you're talking about anymore. I salute you." - WindupAtheist
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #773 on: April 14, 2015, 07:37:25 AM

The smart way out would have been to hang on to his job for as long as possible while he lined up the next one. People have to pay their mortgages and their kids' orthodontists, they can't afford to take principled stands.

He may well have had freelancing/contract work to fill that 8 month gap, anyway. Just not on his CV.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #774 on: April 14, 2015, 07:54:18 AM

Again, sometimes you can't afford NOT to.

Sure, money is neat and we all have bills, but you can't get your soul back.

Also, hanging on 'until' sometimes means you are, in fact, party to the illegal and ethical decisions made after the fact and therefore legally liable.

I'm told.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #775 on: April 14, 2015, 08:12:30 AM

On the other hand, it's just a video game. Unless they were running actual scams I wouldn't consider disagreeing with their plans for the game an "ethical" issue at all.

I am the .00000001428%
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #776 on: April 14, 2015, 09:04:41 AM

You guys are taking wildly different tacks.

Obviously you immediately quit if you would be implicated in something illegal. There's a huge distance between illegal and unethical.

Walton's story is he believed the NGE was unethical because it would essentially destroy the game and as exec producer he had a duty to make it successful. He believed it strongly enough to force them to fire him. And he was right.

Imagine you're the executive chef at a fancy restaurant. The owner comes in complaining about food costs and tells you to sell butterfish as Chilean sea bass. You know people will notice, and as the executive chef you are ultimately held responsible for the quality of the food, so you quit. Same deal.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 09:08:15 AM by sam, an eggplant »
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #777 on: April 14, 2015, 09:17:17 AM

Imagine you're the executive chef at a fancy restaurant. The owner comes in complaining about food costs and tells you to sell butterfish as Chilean sea bass. You know people will notice, and as the executive chef you are ultimately held responsible for the quality of the food, so you quit. Same deal.

Yeah, but that would be an actual scam rather than just a change in the direction of the restaurant.

I am the .00000001428%
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #778 on: April 14, 2015, 09:39:51 AM

OK, imagine he told you to use crisco rather than extra virgin olive oil, then.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #779 on: April 14, 2015, 09:46:35 AM

There's a huge distance between illegal and unethical.

It's a distance quickly covered.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #780 on: April 14, 2015, 10:03:50 AM

It's not, because they aren't on the same scale. Illegal doesn't mean "more unethical".

We break laws all the time, doing things like jaywalking across the street, downloading a TV show our DVR messed up, smoking weed, throwing out the previous occupant's junk mail, not paying the "use tax" on our taxes, and driving 74 in a 65MPH zone. These things are all illegal but not unethical.

We (hopefully) don't do unethical things ever. Unethical things hurt people or break promises. Many actions are unethical but not illegal.

And some, of course, are both.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #781 on: April 14, 2015, 10:32:38 AM

in the world of finance, unethical is quite frequently also illegal.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #782 on: April 14, 2015, 11:28:32 AM

He was producing a videogame, not managing a mutual fund for fidelity.
Raph
Developers

Title delayed while we "find the fun."

Reply #783 on: April 14, 2015, 11:39:48 AM

I wasn't going to post on this, but seeing the subsequent discussion makes me feel like I need to.

Gordon is one of the most ethical people in the games business. There's a reason why his name keeps popping up on projects and why he is so well-respected. There are many more stories beyond the one being discussed here.
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #784 on: April 14, 2015, 03:24:47 PM

It definitely wouldn't be considered illegal exactly because of the EULA and how the game is subject to constant change, evolution, and destruction at any time. The characters aren't even yours, you're just given access to them, and a game world.

I'll tell you what made the choice for SWG, and it wasn't ethics it was moneyhats and misconceptions about a failing game, bad press, and how much marketing bad gaming decisions can have. The powers that be saw the "action" combat as getting the subscriptions and interest that previously should've been built into the SW IP, but it also wasn't making money or worth a minor injection of that as a separate system and architecture.

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #785 on: April 14, 2015, 04:15:50 PM

The smart way out would have been to hang on to his job for as long as possible while he lined up the next one. People have to pay their mortgages and their kids' orthodontists, they can't afford to take principled stands.

No offense, but the clients I knew who took that kind of out were never ethical to begin with. They used that kind of thinking to continually rationalize the fact that they were lying scammers. Just because your bad money goes to your family doesn't make it right, ever.

It's easy to say, "Well I'm helping MY people/employees/family so fuck the people dumb enough to buy into this." That doesn't make it the right thing to do. Not even close.

EDIT: And even more than that, you usually don't HAVE to do that. The decision more often than not boils down to greed and laziness.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 04:18:53 PM by Paelos »

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #786 on: April 14, 2015, 04:26:08 PM

But that's not what Ironwood was referring to when he replied to your blanket statement. I get where you're coming from, but I also get where he's coming from. So if you'd like to amend that "There's a huge distance between illegal and unethical." to something like, "There's a huge distance between illegal and unethical in the gaming industry." we'd all get along.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #787 on: April 14, 2015, 05:43:01 PM

No, there's a huge difference everywhere, in every industry. They are not synonymous. Their venn diagrams sometimes intersect, that's all.

Paelos, it would take some seriously unethical doings to get me to toss my family to the wolves. My duty as steward of a videogame wouldn't do it. But I guess everybody has a different breaking point.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #788 on: April 14, 2015, 05:56:43 PM

I wasn't going to post on this, but seeing the subsequent discussion makes me feel like I need to.

Gordon is one of the most ethical people in the games business. There's a reason why his name keeps popping up on projects and why he is so well-respected. There are many more stories beyond the one being discussed here.

Not saying he isn't, just saying "I disagree with the direction you want to take this videogame in" isn't exactly taking a moral stand, it's just...disagreeing with your boss.

I am the .00000001428%
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #789 on: April 14, 2015, 06:23:31 PM

I dunno. I can see the ethics in looking at an upcoming change and thinking "Well, a lot of our customers are going to feel we fucked them. We're about to piss paying customers WAY the fuck off" -- and with the fact that the NGE was timed right after an expansion walked out the door, it feels more than a bit dirty.

Like "let's pump the chumps for one last payout, before we flip them the bird and look for different customers".
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #790 on: April 14, 2015, 07:52:16 PM

No, there's a huge difference everywhere, in every industry. They are not synonymous. Their venn diagrams sometimes intersect, that's all.

Paelos, it would take some seriously unethical doings to get me to toss my family to the wolves. My duty as steward of a videogame wouldn't do it. But I guess everybody has a different breaking point.

That's my point, often powerful people jump immediately to the idea that if they quit they are throwing their family to the wolves. The reality is usually far from that. The reality is usually a few months of savings while finding a job, and these people aren't hourly rate workers living paycheck to paycheck.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #791 on: April 14, 2015, 09:17:30 PM

Put me in Sam's camp on this one.  Unless they were selling cc information to the Russians (or trying to destroy the game as some sort of Byzantine tax dodge) there is nothing unethical going on with the NGE.

You have to remember that the people pushing the NGE thought it would work.  At that point, we are talking about good faith differences in opinion.  And remember that every MMO patch, ever, in the history of time and space, has "ruined the game" and "betrayed the community" if you believe forum posts.  Saying "I resigned because of NGE" is no different than saying "I resigned because they increased cleric heal aggro" in EQ in 1999.  If God listed every issue in the universe from most to least ethically weighted, "nerfing riflemen" would be second to last in front of "Times New Roman or Calibri font?"
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 09:25:42 PM by Triforcer »

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #792 on: April 14, 2015, 09:25:52 PM

The people that thought the NGE would work were fucking idiots.

Anyone that did even the slightest bit of research into their playerbase would've said, "oh hell no." from the start. And no, there's a big difference between changing one mechanic and changing the entire core concept of a game.

full disclosure, it was the CE that brought me to f13 back in the day and I'm still pissy about the abject lack of research that went into the changes.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #793 on: April 14, 2015, 09:26:22 PM

Not just that, but staying the course was already a failure.  If you are about to lose anyways your only shot is a hail mary pass, even if they fail 99% of the time.

I am the .00000001428%
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #794 on: April 14, 2015, 09:34:25 PM

We theorized staying the course was untenable due to Lucas' license costs. We don't actually know the nitty-gritty there. If not for Lucas wanting his money and/or flexing his muscles to point the game in a wildly divergent direction, SWG should have been sustainable for many more years. It had a great population of committed players. It just wasn't WoW, and they thought it underserved the Star Wars IP.

Also, I never said that Walton didn't leave for ethical reasons-- he said he did, and I have no reason to think he's lying. His duty was to shepherd the game, and he believed the NGE would be disastrous. He was, of course, proven right.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #795 on: April 14, 2015, 10:16:57 PM

Ten years later and SWG still evokes pages of discussion.

cry

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #796 on: April 14, 2015, 10:25:29 PM

cry

Imagine how much more we could debate if Raph had implemented Outcasting! DRILLING AND MANLINESS

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #797 on: April 14, 2015, 10:29:51 PM

cry

Imagine how much more we could debate if Raph had implemented Outcasting! DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Wouldn't he have to bring back Precasting first?

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #798 on: April 14, 2015, 10:44:46 PM

tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #799 on: April 15, 2015, 04:04:00 AM

This "it's just a videogame lololol" is precisely the attitude that keeps this whole industry the shit it is.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #800 on: April 15, 2015, 09:20:40 AM

Well that and the preponderance of idiotic, socially-retarded manchildren in charge of most of it.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #801 on: April 15, 2015, 09:52:11 AM

There's a huge distance between illegal and unethical.

Send me your resume immediately.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #802 on: April 15, 2015, 09:53:46 AM

This "it's just a videogame lololol" is precisely the attitude that keeps this whole industry the shit it is.
Well that and the preponderance of idiotic, socially-retarded manchildren in charge of most of it.

This is, of course, why real programmers don't work on vidya games.  Seems to be a self-feeding mechanism.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #803 on: April 15, 2015, 10:05:28 AM

cry

There was a brief moment where I thought SWG might take over the Crowfall thread. Alas, it fizzled out there.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #804 on: April 15, 2015, 10:33:05 AM

This is, of course, why real programmers don't work on vidya games.  Seems to be a self-feeding mechanism.

I keep wondering if at some point in the future, Tech-savvy businessmen who could run real corporations as a great business instead of as a huckster's paradise will take over a game company or two. 

This might change things, as they implement a more structured format and more rigorous protocols. Transforming their part of the industry to create giants like has happened in other creative fields while the "Artists" and "in it for the love, man" types go off to be independent flailing studios like we've seen here and other creative industries.  That or they'll realize that the reason EA and Activision were huckster's paradises is because the talent involved and the clientele just don't care.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 32 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Another One Bites the Dust: SWG Edition!  
Jump to: