Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:59:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Another One Bites the Dust: SWG Edition! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 32 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Another One Bites the Dust: SWG Edition!  (Read 280566 times)
Zetor
Terracotta Army

on: June 24, 2011, 12:55:57 PM

In other news, SWG is dead as of Dec 2011.

Guess Lucasarts like to keep their eggs in as few MMO-baskets as possible...

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 01:01:14 PM

SWG was still alive?  why so serious?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 01:06:57 PM

http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/posts/list.m?topic_id=1220357

Dear Star Wars Galaxies™ Community Member,

We write to you today to inform you that on December 15, 2011, Sony Online Entertainment (SOE) and LucasArts will end all services (MMO and Trading Card Game) for Star Wars Galaxies (SWG).  The shutdown of SWG is a very difficult decision, but SOE and LucasArts have mutually agreed that the end of 2011 is the appropriate time to end the game.

We are extremely grateful to all of the SWG fans.  We have had the rare opportunity to host one of the most dedicated and passionate online gaming communities and we truly appreciate the support we’ve received from each and every one of you over the course of the past eight years.

In recognition of your incredible loyalty, we are extending special Fan Appreciation offers to the current SWG community. We also plan to go out with a bang with a galaxy-ending in-game event in December and hope to see you all there. The details relating to these offers and events as well as the timeline and specifics regarding the discontinuation of the service, are provided below.

Again, we want to extend our heartfelt thanks to our player community for making SWG one of the best online communities in gaming history.

Sincerely,

Sony Online Entertainment & LucasArts

Honestly? It's been a long time in coming but I'm still somewhat surprised by it.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 01:10:56 PM

In other news, SWG is dead as of Dec 2011.

Guess Lucasarts like to keep their eggs in as few MMO-baskets as possible...

I'm not at all surprised and reading the other article that is linked from there I saw that Smedley had the perfect quote about why SWG failed even though the author hated it along with the others who stuck around. He basically said that SWG delivered the Uncle Own experience and not the Luke and Han experience. He's right and that's why it failed.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 01:14:35 PM

Doop. I have no idea how I missed this thread.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 01:16:03 PM

TOR release date: December 16, 2011.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 01:16:25 PM

Doop. I have no idea how I missed this thread.

You didn't.  People started discussing in the SWTOR thread before you got around to making your thread.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 01:18:31 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 01:18:00 PM

About damn time.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 01:19:25 PM

Oh, wow, I bought a copy of this game I still haven't used.  No time like the present, I suppose.  Are they still an MMOFPS or whatever, or did they revert that?
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 01:20:36 PM

Out with the old in with the new!
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 01:35:54 PM

TOR release date: December 16, 2011.

Heh, maybe that's what they meant by "super huge way of announcing the release date that no one would suspect"  awesome, for real

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 01:39:32 PM

we will always have SWGEMU.  Or it's endless test.  Ok, we have nothing.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 01:52:28 PM

Be nice if Bioware could pick up the tech for JtL from SOE.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: June 24, 2011, 01:53:16 PM

Maybe TOR can get the JtL assets and add a real space game?  (I know it's hopeless musing.)

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Pendan
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: June 24, 2011, 01:58:39 PM

Oh, wow, I bought a copy of this game I still haven't used.  No time like the present, I suppose.  Are they still an MMOFPS or whatever, or did they revert that?
Should wait a little longer. If you have a subscription on September 15th then you get to play until it closes down for free and see the end game events they add. So about August 17th is good time to start a 1 month subscription.
VainEldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: June 24, 2011, 02:02:45 PM

Be nice if Bioware could pick up the tech for JtL from SOE.

My thoughts exactly, although BW have said they space may eventually become free-roaming though it could be on Mr Schubert's "Wall of Crazy".

The news of SWG's execution date makes me sad. SWG pre-9, Pre-NGE was my own personal gaming Nirvana. I even liked the CU.

I just might re-sub to take my character for one last tour of the worlds and park her in ME, where she was born on day 1 server up.

On a cheerfully vindictive note: Smed, we did tell you so you ass.

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: June 24, 2011, 02:30:08 PM

Burn in Hell, SimBeru!  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: June 24, 2011, 02:31:08 PM

Sad. It  does not deserve to die ,even though it has many flaws it not that bad of a game and still great sandbox. I also had impression they have decent sub base still. Its a decision to kill  a niche game for the benefit of a mass market  blockbuster (swtor). I dont think it will benefit the latter all that much but will make overall landscape worse
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: June 24, 2011, 02:38:30 PM

I popped back in to SWG last month, since SOE was kind enough to give me 45 days for giving all my account info away.  Ohhhhh, I see.

It was down to a fairly small amount of servers, and while there looked to be a fair number of people in Mos Eisley, Theed, et all, most of them were just standing there, doing nothing the entire time.  I think it was just SOE logging in inactive accounts to make it look like people were still playing.  Outside of the main cities, I didn't really see but 1 or 2 people.

I'm kind of surprised that it took them this long to pull the plug on it.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: June 24, 2011, 03:04:51 PM

From what Smedley said in that Massively article it was mostly an issue of contracts that even kept it going. I doubt Lucasarts had any intention of renewing their SWG contract with SOE come 2012, and they figured now would be a good time to pull the plug.
Raph
Developers

Title delayed while we "find the fun."

Reply #20 on: June 24, 2011, 03:29:24 PM

My blog post on it:

http://www.raphkoster.com/2011/06/24/swg-is-shutting-down/

And not trying to be defensive or do rose-colored glasses here, but SWG was only a failure if you compare it to a hypothetical game that doesn't exist, or to a game that came out after it (say, WoW). Not discounting all the MANY things that went wrong here, from launch onwards (Believe me, there are few people on the planet who are more cognizant of the many screw-ups on it than I am) but it was profitable early on, made millions, & at peak was the second most popular non-Asian MMO behind EQ.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: June 24, 2011, 03:45:02 PM

I really loved SWG til the NGE.  It was my first MMO addiction and I was sad that I moved on. 

I remember me and a bunch of my, at the time, fps clan mates being in beta and we would sit around in IRC chat for hours waiting for servers to come up. 
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: June 24, 2011, 03:47:32 PM

My blog post on it:

http://www.raphkoster.com/2011/06/24/swg-is-shutting-down/

And not trying to be defensive or do rose-colored glasses here, but SWG was only a failure if you compare it to a hypothetical game that doesn't exist, or to a game that came out after it (say, WoW). Not discounting all the MANY things that went wrong here, from launch onwards (Believe me, there are few people on the planet who are more cognizant of the many screw-ups on it than I am) but it was profitable early on, made millions, & at peak was the second most popular non-Asian MMO behind EQ.

And back then we were still arguing about whether to easier Asian MMOs yet :)

SWG was one of my high points in MMOs, representing the alternative to prettier/easier EQ. Had such a fantastic time playing SimBeru with my energy business and home decorating gig, really never cared that the combat had issues. So many people on this forum were part of that experience, particularly Sky, Rasix, Slack, schild. Except for Shadowbane, i haven't been in an MMO for any appreciable amount of time with this crew.

It wasn't the Star Wars people wanted, but it was the sequel to UO that I craved :D

Everything i've ever wanted to say about it has been said. It was just that kind of game that always riled up the conversationalists, more so than most others. I am glad I was there because it represents an important part of the evolution of MMOs.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #23 on: June 24, 2011, 03:49:30 PM

So many people on this forum were part of that experience, particularly Sky, Rasix, Slack, schild. Except for Shadowbane, i haven't been in an MMO for any appreciable amount of time with this crew.

Rasix the Trandoshan Droid Engineer.  Heartbreak  My stuff never worked.

-Rasix
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: June 24, 2011, 03:50:18 PM

Indeed, Raph. Thanks for what you did on SWG. I had a lot of fun playing it.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: June 24, 2011, 03:58:26 PM

So many people on this forum were part of that experience, particularly Sky, Rasix, Slack, schild. Except for Shadowbane, i haven't been in an MMO for any appreciable amount of time with this crew.

Rasix the Trandoshan Droid Engineer.  Heartbreak  My stuff never worked.

Yea but you were my first energy customer!

Shit i feel like old homes day here. Remember that one month period when that Empire Strikes Back flying Droid thing was crazy over powered? Good times.
Nyght
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: June 24, 2011, 04:02:18 PM

For all its flaws, I loved this game. The open virtual world games are almost all gone now. Thanks Raph, it was very enjoyable.

I just wish someone would do a modern day VW game. But I guess that is too niche now given development costs. Ah well.   Heartbreak

"Do you know who is in charge here?" -- "Yep."
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: June 24, 2011, 04:12:32 PM

I LIKED being a moisture farmer, i LIKED living in the Star wars world.    Heartbreak

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: June 24, 2011, 04:28:43 PM

You are a silly, broken, person though.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #29 on: June 24, 2011, 05:22:48 PM

And not trying to be defensive or do rose-colored glasses here, but SWG was only a failure if you compare it to a hypothetical game that doesn't exist

If you say so, but I'll be waving goodbye to it from Britain bank.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: June 24, 2011, 05:26:06 PM

Heh. Every so often I'm tempted.

For all its flaws, I loved this game. The open virtual world games are almost all gone now. Thanks Raph, it was very enjoyable.

I just wish someone would do a modern day VW game. But I guess that is too niche now given development costs. Ah well.   Heartbreak

Eve  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: June 24, 2011, 05:37:10 PM

Heh. Every so often I'm tempted.

Eve  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Yeah, EVE pretty much has this market cornered.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #32 on: June 24, 2011, 05:51:15 PM

SWG (or rather SWG angst) is what first made me aware of Waterthread, way back when.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: June 24, 2011, 05:53:31 PM

Ah WT.o. Wasn't the second or third iteration of the place where our guild started? Or were we here by then? Christ I'm getting old.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: June 24, 2011, 07:04:15 PM

I hear it was really hard to become a Jedi in this game.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Hic sunt dracones.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 32 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Another One Bites the Dust: SWG Edition!  
Jump to: