Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 22, 2024, 11:10:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Falling Skies 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Falling Skies  (Read 39547 times)
Talpidae
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: August 16, 2011, 01:35:18 PM

Nope, I'm done.  This show is fucking retarded.

"LOOK HOW CLEVER ARE MY BALLS!" - Steven Moffat.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: June 18, 2012, 07:41:56 PM

Oh, hey, look at that.  Alcatraz gets canceled, Terra Nova gets the ax, No Ordinary Family gets hacked, and this is the one show that gets saved?

*sigh*.  So anyway, it's back.  Two hour season premiere was last night.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: June 20, 2012, 08:40:01 AM

Did all the child actors die yet?
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: August 22, 2012, 06:09:53 PM

That one scene where they are about to torture the doctor lady and professor dude gives in? twice and episode every single episode next season, book it.

I am the .00000001428%
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #74 on: August 22, 2012, 06:12:16 PM

I liked the last few episodes, but the alien three-way may lead to some bad shit.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: August 22, 2012, 06:49:12 PM

I enjoyed this season.  They expanded on their mythos and still kept a good focus on the characters.  Plus, Moon Bloodgood is gorgeous! 
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: August 23, 2012, 02:33:07 AM

She is just a little Super-Hawt, it's true.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #77 on: August 23, 2012, 11:15:55 AM

I like this show, but it is so predictable. Like if you've ever seen a sci-fi invasion movie before, you know what's going to happen about 15 minutes before it ever happens, if not sooner. The 3rd faction looks cool, but we still don't even know what the first factions are doing there, much less a third ass-kicker faction.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #78 on: August 23, 2012, 11:47:50 AM

I enjoyed this season.  They expanded on their mythos and still kept a good focus on the characters.  Plus, Moon Bloodgood is gorgeous! 

Actually, all of the main women are cute, from Moon, to Jesus girl to "I'm a badass with a crush on clean cut American freedom fighter kid" girl.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: August 23, 2012, 11:51:19 AM

My favorite was the scout chick who got captured and turned cartoony evil early in the first season :P

I am the .00000001428%
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #80 on: August 23, 2012, 11:53:48 AM

She's even more cartoony evil now. And she wants her man back.

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: August 23, 2012, 12:25:19 PM

My biggest problem with Falling Skies lies with me entirely. I was really hoping for a Band of Brothers style series about an Alien Invasion.

Beyond that, this show is just too loaded with bad writing. The whole last arc was filled with terribly written characters, including Terry O'Quinn.

beer geek.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: August 23, 2012, 01:55:03 PM

It's not entirely you.  It's just a poorly written show with a silly, cliche-filled plot.  All cartoony-evil chick needs to do now is grow a nice long alien mustache to twirl.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 03:54:10 PM by Nevermore »

Over and out.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: August 23, 2012, 01:58:40 PM

It's not entirely you.  It's just a poorly written show with a silly, chiche-filled plot.  All cartoony-evil chick needs to do now is grow a nice long alien mustache to twirl.

LOOK, I DON'T HAVE TIME TO SCREW AROUND IN PHOTOSHOP OKAY.

beer geek.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: August 23, 2012, 02:13:29 PM

Focusing more on family drama rather than alien invasion/dinosaurs/zombies is how they keep the budget under control, it was the same with Terra Nova and Walking Dead.  The problem is nobody gives a shit about their stupid family drama, specially when it involves little kids.

I am the .00000001428%
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: August 23, 2012, 02:18:12 PM

Focusing more on family drama rather than alien invasion/dinosaurs/zombies is how they keep the budget under control, it was the same with Terra Nova and Walking Dead.  The problem is nobody gives a shit about their stupid family drama, specially when it involves little kids.

The difference with walking dead is that they HAD the budget, but AMC yanked a bunch of it away even though they made huge profits on the first season.

Also, zombie shit is always best when it's about the survivors and morality/humanity. The zombies are almost an abstract. I personally love drama... when it's written well. This is not. This a gaggle of shitty poorly written characters who shift personality to fit the scene.

beer geek.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #86 on: August 23, 2012, 03:21:59 PM

This a gaggle of shitty poorly written characters who shift personality to fit the scene.

Yeah. And stock sci-fi scenes mixed with gut-wrenching human drama.

I've seen worse, but it could be so much better.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: August 23, 2012, 05:08:20 PM

The Walking Dead is all about the characters, even in the comics.  As a matter of fact, the Walking Dead title is in reference to the survivors and not the zombies.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: August 24, 2012, 01:38:27 AM

Say what you like, but the Mech sound effects creep me the fuck out.

lac
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: August 24, 2012, 10:27:32 AM

Since it's based on an actual cow sound you might have bovinophobia. Maybe you can bring that up on the next doctor visit, just to make sure.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: August 24, 2012, 11:04:07 AM

I doubt it.

Tho that youtube clip sounds nothing like how they sound when I watch.

Oddly.

Also, War of the Worlds horns were kinda creepy too.  I guess biomechs invading that have horns are going to bother me.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #91 on: August 25, 2012, 11:35:24 AM

It's that low, bassy, rumbling moan. And yes, in real world circumstances, be they this or War of the Worlds, it would be absolutely horrifying. Especially since it's almost always a prelude to shit getting real.

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: August 25, 2012, 11:38:27 AM

The only thing I get from that is that aliens that have interstellar travel capability don't understand the concept of a muffler.

Over and out.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #93 on: August 25, 2012, 11:55:17 AM

Don't need a muffler. That's not what the sound is for. It's purely psychological. At least I the case of Falling Skies, it's meant to make your less seasoned troops crack, shit their pants and break ranks.

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: August 25, 2012, 12:19:03 PM

The bagpipes of alien invasions?  awesome, for real

Sorry, doesn't work for me.  Sounds like an enormous HERE WE ARE instead of something that's intimidating.

Over and out.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: August 25, 2012, 02:52:20 PM

Well it's hard to hide a 14' tall mech, might as well give it a boss horn.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: August 25, 2012, 03:49:42 PM

Especially when the footsteps sound like the cast of Stomp being gunned down.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #97 on: August 25, 2012, 04:07:27 PM

The bagpipes of alien invasions?  awesome, for real

Sorry, doesn't work for me.  Sounds like an enormous HERE WE ARE instead of something that's intimidating.

The bagpipes of alien invasions that are fully capable of decimating your entire battalion while your bullets ping harmlessly off it's armor. Fuck yeah, that's intimidating.

Look at it this way, you're some medieval archer or some shit, that suddenly finds himself face-to-face with a goddamn M1 Abrams with the Dukes of Hazzard horn, or even a fucking ice cream truck jingle just after it put a couple of rounds of 120mm through your front line defense. Tell me you wouldn't be intimidated.

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: August 25, 2012, 04:21:09 PM

The bagpipes of alien invasions that are fully capable of decimating your entire battalion while your bullets ping harmlessly off it's armor. Fuck yeah, that's intimidating.

Until you discover how to make the magic bullets of alien mech armor penetration.   why so serious?

Bagpipes, bugles and drums have a long tradition in warfare, but they were all largely used for communication.  Your cavalry charge bugles might intimidate the natives who've never heard it before the first time, but once they know it that particular advantage is lost and it only serves to give away your position and the element of surprise, which is why modern armies stopped using it once they developed better methods of communicating.  Now maybe I'm wrong and modern infantry/armor units use loud techno to scare the enemy, but somehow I doubt it.  The goofy hum in the show because some people think it sounds 'cool', not because it's practical or makes any real sense.  Much like most of the stuff in the show.

Over and out.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #99 on: August 26, 2012, 07:01:18 AM

Don't forget the rebel yell.  There are plenty of examples of noise used as intimidation, and not communication, during warfare.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: August 26, 2012, 09:10:32 AM

Oh, come on.  Billy Idol couldn't intimidate anyone, he was just a poser.  why so serious?

Over and out.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: August 26, 2012, 02:02:24 PM

Until you discover how to make the magic bullets of alien mech armor penetration.   why so serious?

Bagpipes, bugles and drums have a long tradition in warfare, but they were all largely used for communication.  Your cavalry charge bugles might intimidate the natives who've never heard it before the first time, but once they know it that particular advantage is lost and it only serves to give away your position and the element of surprise, which is why modern armies stopped using it once they developed better methods of communicating.  Now maybe I'm wrong and modern infantry/armor units use loud techno to scare the enemy, but somehow I doubt it.  The goofy hum in the show because some people think it sounds 'cool', not because it's practical or makes any real sense.  Much like most of the stuff in the show.

You don't need loud drums when we have really big and really loud guns...
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #102 on: August 05, 2013, 12:21:55 PM

So I watched the 3rd season finale of this show.

I'm done. I barely hung on through this entire season as they trotted out shitty sci-fi invasion retreads one after the other then pasted smaltzy shit family drama on top of it. But the finale was just pants on head stupid and did nothing to convince me it will ever get better. The only character worth missing will be Pope and they relegated him to gruff audience voice for comedic relief and only real sane fucking guy in the bunch long ago.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: August 05, 2013, 12:31:54 PM

Oh.  Series 3 just started here and the wife likes it, cause, you know, Noah.

Are you saying it's bad ?  The baby stuff so far is bad.  Like, really bad.  It gets worse ?

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #104 on: August 05, 2013, 12:36:46 PM

Oh.  Series 3 just started here and the wife likes it, cause, you know, Noah.

Are you saying it's bad ?  The baby stuff so far is bad.  Like, really bad.  It gets worse ?
Oh, you poor bastard.  At least we had hope, a faint glimmer that at some point the stupid, pants-on-head retarded formulaic recycling would stop and they'd hit us with the Twist, the big Reveal that would show we hadn't been wasting our time.  But now we know better, and if we're not happier for it, at least it's over.  But you, you just have to watch it unfold, without even the slightest glimmer that at some point the incredible, soul-sucking piles of shit will stop coming and it will finally get good.

It's not going to happen.  The light at the end of the tunnel isn't even an oncoming train, with the promise of ending your misery.  It's just...

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Falling Skies  
Jump to: