Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:05:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Falling Skies 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Falling Skies  (Read 39289 times)
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: July 06, 2011, 01:58:25 PM

I'm getting quite annoyed with the commercials showing all this awesome footage of the alien spaceships flying around and shit, along with glimpses into the events leading up to the invasion, and all we're seeing is a band of 'rebels' trying to keep civilians under control.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #36 on: July 08, 2011, 05:13:10 AM

Ok, now a lot of you are just being nitpicky bitches.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #37 on: July 08, 2011, 09:50:11 AM

NOW? As opposed to any other point in f13's history? Or the history of the Internet for that matter?

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #38 on: July 08, 2011, 09:53:39 AM

Ok, now a lot of you are just being nitpicky bitches.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #39 on: July 08, 2011, 11:06:08 AM

NOW? As opposed to any other point in f13's history? Or the history of the Internet for that matter?

Yeah, now. And yes, I realize this is f13 and we're bitchy about everything here, but it's not usually this petty.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #40 on: July 08, 2011, 11:25:02 AM

Pettiness is all we've got left. All our A material was coopted by comedy websites.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #41 on: July 13, 2011, 07:49:14 AM

This past week's episode convinced me that they can walk a very fine line between smaltzy and kickass. Moon Bloodgood's breakdown at the board of kid's pics after she

really did it for me. And the creepy scene with

gave the whole thing a bit more of a sinister edge.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: July 13, 2011, 08:44:42 AM

I'm just glad they finally rescued the damned kids and killed of cocky-sci-fi-doctor #5156.  Now that they spent their time establishing characters, can we move on to something more palpable?

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Pantastic
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: July 13, 2011, 02:27:26 PM

I'm just glad they finally rescued the damned kids and killed of cocky-sci-fi-doctor #5156. 

Cocky and incompetent - he applied all of his brilliance to come up with the communication plan of 'show the alien two pictures, shout at him in English a bunch, then agitate him by showing him a body, and, uh, shout some more I guess'.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: July 13, 2011, 04:04:14 PM

That wasn't incompetetance. That was frustration, anger and despair in the face of a situation he saw as the end of humanity with one of it's perpetrators in his capture.

Check out what people do in a minor car wreck then try to imagine something on this scale. Most folks simply cannot handle panic adversity of any sort.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Pantastic
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: July 13, 2011, 05:12:22 PM

That wasn't incompetetance. That was frustration, anger and despair in the face of a situation he saw as the end of humanity with one of it's perpetrators in his capture.

Umm, yes, that was incompetence. How the hell is that supposed to ever lead to communication? His frustration, anger, and despair may be his motivation or excuse for not trying anything sensible, but there's simply no way that the nonsense he did would ever lead to communication. If someone is given a job, and does something that is just stupid and has no chance at working, they're incompetent at the job.

Check out what people do in a minor car wreck then try to imagine something on this scale. Most folks simply cannot handle panic adversity of any sort.

I've been in a car wreck, I didn't hold up two pictures to the other person and start shouting at them in a language they don't understand, then drag a dead dog out of the trunk to freak them out, then shout some more, then mock my passenger when he tried to show insurance information.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: July 13, 2011, 08:37:29 PM

You're an idiot.

Pantastic
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: July 14, 2011, 04:55:20 AM

You're an idiot.

You think it's idiotic to call someone 'incompetent' at their job when they come up with a plan that obviously will never work and doesn't even make sense to begin with?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #48 on: July 14, 2011, 10:58:43 AM

I never got the impression Dr. Harris gave two shits about communicating with the alien. He wasn't incompetent (ok, a little) so much as burned to the point of hating all things alien. He'd much rather have just chopped the thing up.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: July 14, 2011, 02:58:22 PM

You're an idiot.

You think it's idiotic to call someone 'incompetent' at their job when they come up with a plan that obviously will never work and doesn't even make sense to begin with?

I'm fairly certain his job never entailed communicating with an alien species.

I am the .00000001428%
Pantastic
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: July 15, 2011, 11:36:53 PM

I'm fairly certain his job never entailed communicating with an alien species.

His job was to study them and learn as much about them as possible, which would include communication if possible, and he seemed to think communicating with them was his job on at least two occasions, when he held up pictures and when the kid put the harness back on. If his job really didn't involve communication, then he was demonstrating incompetence at doing his actual job by spending a bunch of time on communication and annoyance attempts. Under what plan of action would showing the dead body and going 'yep that annoyed it' be a sensible step? If he felt his job was just to find week points, the competent thing to do would be to strap it down and start poking, not hold up picures, shout, and show it a dead body.

And after watching last week's episode, FFS he got himself KILLED by the alien in a cage. Unless his job was to find a fancy way to commit suicide, letting the creature in the cage kill you qualifies as pretty gross incompetence whatever it was.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #51 on: July 21, 2011, 04:07:35 PM

Just caught up with the last two eps.

"What gang you run with? Crips? Bloods? Slytherin?"

Fuckin' A. Pope, you funny little douchebag.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: July 22, 2011, 06:57:44 AM

News flash: Researcher/Doctor during the end of the world looses his cool, compassion and common sense while examining alien being that invaded earth and killed millions. Bedside manner said to be lacking.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: July 24, 2011, 08:08:19 PM

At this rate they are going to run out of disposable black men to show the seriousness of the situation very soon.

I am the .00000001428%
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: July 26, 2011, 04:47:26 AM

At this rate they are going to run out of disposable black men to show the seriousness of the situation very soon.

Eh, I'm sure we'll see the 6th Atlanta brigade come up from the deep south eventually  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

lac
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: July 27, 2011, 01:29:08 PM

Eh, I'm sure we'll see the 6th Atlanta brigade come up from the deep south eventually  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Only two eps left this season, I think. And it looked like they set up his son for the season finale in that last scene.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: August 02, 2011, 05:21:47 AM

Season finale next week, two parts both on the same night.

Watched this last Sunday's last night.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: August 02, 2011, 09:52:35 AM

You mean we can use the alien bullets which are exactly like ours but way awesomer against them? BRILLIANT!

I am the .00000001428%
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: August 02, 2011, 11:04:55 AM

Its kinda more like the aliens are eco friendly murders.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
I mean seriously if your smart enough for space travel your smart enough to go green DRILLING AND MANLINESS
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: August 02, 2011, 12:12:36 PM

You mean we can use the alien bullets which are exactly like ours but way awesomer against them? BRILLIANT!

You can't beat the (Mech) Metal.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #60 on: August 02, 2011, 08:58:11 PM

Seems like they are trying to make the aliens out to be garbage collectors/intergalactic junk men. Strip the planet of all usable materials, move on to the next one.

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: August 03, 2011, 01:06:47 AM

Why else would they come here? The polite, mentally stimulating conversation?

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: August 03, 2011, 06:20:58 AM

Seems like they are trying to make the aliens out to be garbage collectors/intergalactic junk men. Strip the planet of all usable materials, move on to the next one.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: August 03, 2011, 07:34:15 AM

They're obviously Protheans.

kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: August 03, 2011, 08:17:47 AM

I think the boost to the slave race population is the main reason for their arivial. Making use of native resources just makes sense as its less crap one has to cart from one world to the next.
lac
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: August 03, 2011, 12:07:14 PM

Yea, the logistics of invading alien worlds can be a real bitch sometimes.
This season is ramping up nicely, I wasn't too sure about this after the first few eps but if they can make this finale work I'm sure I'll actually look forward to the next season.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: August 07, 2011, 08:20:04 PM

That shot was  swamp poop, i thought Tom was talking about taking a shot at the immobile structure not hitting a moving flyer hundreds of feet in the air.

I am the .00000001428%
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: August 08, 2011, 12:14:55 PM

Their reactions were amusing though both had that LOL wtf look after he hit the ship and it chain reacted.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #68 on: August 09, 2011, 07:33:36 AM

That shot was  swamp poop, i thought Tom was talking about taking a shot at the immobile structure not hitting a moving flyer hundreds of feet in the air.

Yeah, someone should have told the writers that RPG's are dumbfire rockets, not heat-seeking missiles. Still, it was a fun enough shot that I forgave them. This episode could have used a lot more pew pew boom boom and less gutwrenching human drama (particularly the 1-hour dickwaving contest in the first part of the finale) but overall, I liked it. I will definitely be watching it next summer.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: August 09, 2011, 09:51:04 AM

That thing looked like you could bring it down by blowing up a single leg, two at the most.  And after all that build up not only do they fail miserably at even getting the bombs there, but we see absolutely nothing of the fight.

I am the .00000001428%
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Falling Skies  
Jump to: