Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:44:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  League of Legends  |  Topic: Good character for a total newb 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Good character for a total newb  (Read 209156 times)
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #280 on: September 29, 2011, 12:33:02 PM

I'm with Dark. The only time Mejai's works is in situations where you don't need it. I find a nice rule of thumb for Lux's ultimate is that the range is about from one corner of your screen to the other if you're on 1920x1080.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #281 on: September 29, 2011, 12:55:19 PM

Fine, never buy it!

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #282 on: September 29, 2011, 03:31:56 PM

Looks like it might be worthwhile to try it on Xerath: long range and passive that give armor for AP  (Xerath is new champ coming next).  Assuming that 140 AP is a decent amount of armor.

Mejai's
RoA
Rabadons

could be sick
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #283 on: September 29, 2011, 08:03:18 PM

5 heroes you should learn to play (might be a bit confusing)

I know its only a few months old, but is this post still relevant?  I've mostly just been playing everything that is currently free mostly to get a feel for the mechanics and such.  Now that I'm starting to figure out how things fit together I'm thinking I should probably commit at least a little to learning a hero or two more in depth.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #284 on: September 29, 2011, 08:11:07 PM

I know its only a few months old, but is this post still relevant?  I've mostly just been playing everything that is currently free mostly to get a feel for the mechanics and such.  Now that I'm starting to figure out how things fit together I'm thinking I should probably commit at least a little to learning a hero or two more in depth.

Shen is pretty meh right now, you could probably find a better tank option.  For a tank you'd want to learn someone that's good solo top like Singed, Jarvin, Garen, Galio etc...

But the other 4 are all very relevant still and mostly always have been.

Ashe - Ranged AD Carry, Annie - AP Carry, Janna - Support, WW - Jungle
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 08:13:42 PM by Thrawn »

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
statisticalfool
Terracotta Army

Reply #285 on: September 29, 2011, 08:12:30 PM

Assuming you're not dumping RP into the game already: I think you should find some champs you like (and are cheap to IP buy), and when you find one or two you like, just buy them up. Mixing up trying new stuff out with getting good at a few base ones is a good way to be.

But, take a look at here: http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Champions  (sort by IP) As long as you're not learning all the same type of champion, that's good.

ps: friendly reminder that Tristana and Alistar are free.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #286 on: September 29, 2011, 09:01:15 PM

Tried playing cass tonight since I mostly have caster runes atm. Really cool character but I can't say I like playing her, just way too squishy.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #287 on: September 30, 2011, 02:01:46 AM

Tried playing cass tonight since I mostly have caster runes atm. Really cool character but I can't say I like playing her, just way too squishy.

You can play her fairly tanky on Dom.  The way her fang thing works lets her do fairly good damage even with lower AP.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #288 on: September 30, 2011, 06:44:15 AM

Assuming you're not dumping RP into the game already: I think you should find some champs you like (and are cheap to IP buy), and when you find one or two you like, just buy them up. Mixing up trying new stuff out with getting good at a few base ones is a good way to be.

But, take a look at here: http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Champions  (sort by IP) As long as you're not learning all the same type of champion, that's good.

ps: friendly reminder that Tristana and Alistar are free.

Thanks for this link.  Correct in that I'm not sinking RP in to the game yet, but I'm not totally opposed to doing so within a relatively short time frame.  I don't think its worth it yet mainly because I don't know enough about what I like to play to spend money on characters, but I do want to become proficient with a solid enough variety that when I get matched with a team I can be useful regardless of what everyone else chooses.  At the low levels that I've been playing at it seems like people don't play tanks as much, does that stay common?
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #289 on: September 30, 2011, 06:57:09 AM

Generally yes (same goes for supports). Everybody likes to kill stuff. The game works much better when you play with people you know.
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #290 on: September 30, 2011, 07:10:05 AM

I know its only a few months old, but is this post still relevant?  I've mostly just been playing everything that is currently free mostly to get a feel for the mechanics and such.  Now that I'm starting to figure out how things fit together I'm thinking I should probably commit at least a little to learning a hero or two more in depth.

Well should you learn those champs? yeah would be neat. But there are imho better options

AP - Annie (agree there), Brand
AD - Gangplank, Tryndamere, Yi
Ranged AD - Caitlyn,Vayne
Tanks - Rammus, Amumu, Cho
Tanky DPS - Garen, Sion

At some point you will learn the itemization, masteries and rune setups for each role and then you can play basically any champ once you know where he fits.

In any case you cant go wrong by playing free rotation champs- play various roles till you stumble on a champ you like  and just keep playing him till you become really good
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #291 on: September 30, 2011, 07:31:52 AM

Judging from what I have seen levelling up from 8-15 recently, the heroes which people have the most difficulty with are Tryndamere, Gangplank, Yi, and Xin Zhao, who are all tanky melee DPS. I would give Veigar, Ryze and Orianna nods as ranged heroes, since they can all put out some scary burst DPS when played well.

Annie, Morgana and Brand are the best mid-lane heroes I see, and they can be nicely tanky as far as AP classes go in the late game.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #292 on: September 30, 2011, 07:34:24 AM

Anivia can be pretty awesome too, if you aren't me playing her! Actually, I think I am ready for SR with her now. Get ready for some losses boys!

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #293 on: September 30, 2011, 07:35:21 AM

Anivia can be pretty awesome too, if you aren't me playing her! Actually, I think I am ready for SR with her now. Get ready for some losses boys!

ACK!

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #294 on: September 30, 2011, 08:55:02 AM

It is but you can mostly ignore the jungling and support sections.  At low levels no one really runs either.  From what I know (which isn't much), jungling isn't totally viable without runes that you'll have at higher levels and most folks don't support their jungle very well.   Most junglers I've seen at this level end up being quite a few levels down on the laners and end up being somewhat ineffective overall.  Warwick is a solid champ for a beginner, jungle or not.  Most people I've seen do pretty decent with him.

I'm starting to a see a bit more support, but not much.  I've seen a Janna and a Kayle here and there.  But it might be of more use to play a different role just to see how a support can help.   You see more tanky support than pure support.

Dark_MadMax's list is pretty similar to what I'd recommend based on my limited experience. I might add Xin Zhao to list (AD?).  He seems pretty easy to play for most people.

-Rasix
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #295 on: September 30, 2011, 10:06:11 AM

If you want to learn how to play a ranged AD, you can get Tristana for free by liking League of Legends on facebook still I think.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #296 on: September 30, 2011, 11:44:30 AM

If you want to get a free tank, you can get Alistar by doing the same thing for youtube.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1272395
statisticalfool
Terracotta Army

Reply #297 on: September 30, 2011, 01:24:24 PM

Speaking of Trist...

What am I supposed to do solo mid versus Cait? I usually do okay as Trist, but wow, that was just embarrassing. The Cait was better than most, but I just found myself constantly zoned by her AA range and traps, and this was even with dodging most of her Q's. Just try to keep the lane from pushing all the way to my tower, and wait it out? Or just ask for a switch?

Also, rocket jump not jumping over her traps :(
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #298 on: September 30, 2011, 01:44:05 PM

Speaking of Trist...

What am I supposed to do solo mid versus Cait? I usually do okay as Trist, but wow, that was just embarrassing. The Cait was better than most, but I just found myself constantly zoned by her AA range and traps, and this was even with dodging most of her Q's. Just try to keep the lane from pushing all the way to my tower, and wait it out? Or just ask for a switch?

Also, rocket jump not jumping over her traps :(

Wait it out and try to out farm her, under you tower if necessary. Plus she opens her self up to ganks if she pushes you to far.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #299 on: September 30, 2011, 08:32:26 PM

Purchased Ashe with IP this evening, had a lot of fun playing her.  Next up I think something a bit more tanky.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #300 on: September 30, 2011, 08:46:27 PM

Ohhhhh, I see.

God I fucking hate ashe - near-infinite snare.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #301 on: September 30, 2011, 08:49:42 PM

Ohhhhh, I see.

God I fucking hate ashe - near-infinite snare.

It is a slow, not a snare :p

statisticalfool
Terracotta Army

Reply #302 on: September 30, 2011, 09:35:53 PM

Morg is a beast.

Singed is a beast.

Lee Sin is a beast.

I expect some 'adjustments' soon.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/news/patch-preview-xerath

Morgana gets -0.1AP on Black Shield and 'slightly lower' spell vamp (my guess is 15/20/25).
Lee Sin picks up a few nerfs (lower Q ratio, lower range on safeguard), and Singed gets  lower poison trail duration.

Please colllect your prize at the window.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #303 on: September 30, 2011, 09:56:43 PM

I find it amusing they think anyone would play Morg as a full support.   Happy to see Singed get nerfed a lil at least.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #304 on: October 01, 2011, 03:14:33 AM

Morgana gets -0.1AP on Black Shield and 'slightly lower' spell vamp (my guess is 15/20/25).

Nooooooooo....

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #305 on: October 01, 2011, 07:43:58 AM

Morg is a beast.

Singed is a beast.

Lee Sin is a beast.

I expect some 'adjustments' soon.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/news/patch-preview-xerath

Lee Sin picks up a few nerfs (lower Q ratio, lower range on safeguard), and Singed gets  lower poison trail duration.

Please colllect your prize at the window.

Ouch. My poor Singed. Sometimes I hate being right.

Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #306 on: October 01, 2011, 10:27:28 AM

I find it amusing they think anyone would play Morg as a full support.   Happy to see Singed get nerfed a lil at least.

Some people are that dumb, I've picked Morg in games and called mid only to have people argue "No, Morg is support so you're bot with X."

Happily in every case of that I took mid anyways and carried the team.  awesome, for real

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #307 on: October 01, 2011, 10:39:58 AM

I've got enough points for Amumu now, think I should buy him?  I want something tanky, and he looks a bit quirky, which I like.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #308 on: October 01, 2011, 10:44:38 AM

I've got enough points for Amumu now, think I should buy him?  I want something tanky, and he looks a bit quirky, which I like.

Amumu has almost always been a very solid pick because he can jungle, and because his ult is AMAZING.  If you enjoy playing him you can never go wrong with Amumu but you need to learn to jungle him.

(This is of course all assuming you are asking from a "Is he top tier" type standpoint.  If you just screw around to have fun play whatever you want!)

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #309 on: October 01, 2011, 10:48:15 AM

I've got enough points for Amumu now, think I should buy him?  I want something tanky, and he looks a bit quirky, which I like.

Amumu has almost always been a very solid pick because he can jungle, and because his ult is AMAZING.  If you enjoy playing him you can never go wrong with Amumu but you need to learn to jungle him.

(This is of course all assuming you are asking from a "Is he top tier" type standpoint.  If you just screw around to have fun play whatever you want!)

Thanks for the info.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #310 on: October 01, 2011, 11:06:53 AM

I can see why people ban Fiddle now.  Guy was ganking the shit out of me.  Plus combined with Akali, he was able to zone me pretty hard in bot.   Very smurfy too, guy talked like he'd be playing the game forever.  We still won the game, which was somewhat amazing considering we didn't push a lane to their base before they were whacking on one of our inhibs.  But, I think we played the team fights better for the most part, and were a lot more tanky than they were.  Also, we got Baron when he was up and they didn't at all.

Ohh, and now that I'm level 11 and getting matched with 12s?  Fuck flash.  That shit needs to be gone.  

At what point do people start playing draft?  I've been OK with blind mode up to this point.  Might start getting odd once I'm playing a majority of people not playing just the free champs.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 11:08:29 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #311 on: October 01, 2011, 12:10:11 PM

I got smurfed by an Akali today, they were putting out simply sickening amounts of burst damage.

I messed around with Draft a bit, but frankly I found waiting for some semi-afk bellend to make unhelpful ban picks to be less fun than advertised, so I reverted to blind pick.

ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #312 on: October 01, 2011, 02:07:41 PM

I've been avoiding draft because ohgodwhatwillIdoiftheybanVayneandTrundle. Planning on using it to get acquainted with the system after I'm familiar with a few more champs and preparing to get into ranked.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #313 on: October 01, 2011, 03:04:38 PM

I guess draft is good when you have the flexibility and skill to build effective counter comps, as it is I am still going to try and pick from the same 3-4 champs and the same single set of runes and masteries, so Draft doesn't really offer me anything.

Arinon
Terracotta Army

Reply #314 on: October 01, 2011, 07:59:51 PM

Started playing this a couple of weeks ago.  Mostly trying out the free champs in bot matches to get my sea legs.  Have some real matches under my belt now and I've had the most success with Zilean.  Obviously depends on what kind of clown you get paired with but at these sub-10 matches his bombs get a surprising number kills from people leaving fights a wee bit too late.  Not sure how good Zilean is overall but zipping around the map and saving/slowing people has been a blast.

I want to see about a solid melee damager but I'm horrible at it.  Early game I have a hard time putting pressure on ranged champs.  Later on judging just what I can do and when to go all-in on a kill have ended up really poorly.  Yi, Nocturne, and Xin Zhao have all been embarrassing but I was passable with Wu Kong.  Any suggestions?  Kassadin looked like he might fit as he looks super mobile but I'm gun-shy about dropping the 3k+ on him.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 25 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  League of Legends  |  Topic: Good character for a total newb  
Jump to: