Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:49:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  League of Legends  |  Topic: Good character for a total newb 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Good character for a total newb  (Read 209118 times)
Flinky
Terracotta Army

Reply #175 on: September 21, 2011, 03:52:42 AM

And she just got a round of hotfix buffs too.

Orianna: wow, there is a lot going on there.

One of the biggest things to remember when trying Orianna; The metal lady is not the Champion. The Ball is your Champion. The Ball is Everything.

She's all about your positioning and preparation for team fights. Protection lasts for 4 seconds, so you can protect someone running in to start a fight to be able to use it again just as the damage levels become critical. When laning, use Command: Attack to throw the ball out in front of you and leave it on the ground. This means the next Attack will start from where the ball is lying rather than from you making it much harder to dodge, especially when people are bad and stand on the ball (a guaranteed hit). Also remember that the ball gives vision. Throw it into bushes ahead of your team or over walls to check for presence before walking into it. At level 1 I like to keep a ball floating in the side grass (on side lanes) just to deny juking/positioning. If you like money and not working hard to earn it, know who does the most killing on your team and use Protect on them while following behind. Since it gives Armour/MR to that person you are assisting on all kills they make while carrying the ball. If you feel guilty about this, give them the occasional speed boost with Dissonance.

A useful trick is to remember to use Alt+ keys. Just as Shift+ key is an automatic smart-cast, Alt+ key is an automatic self-cast. Hitting Alt+E will automatically cast Protect on yourself, drawing the ball back to your position. This works for other Champs too. Morg would hit Alt+E to quickly throw Shield on herself. Kayle can use Alt+R and Alt+W to Bubble or Heal herself. Saves time and any potential missclicks.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 03:59:09 AM by Flinky »

Proud member of the Gnome Brigade.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #176 on: September 21, 2011, 05:20:02 AM

Nicely done. Annie is an awesome AP carry, and from what I have seen in mid she has an awesome combo of hitting level 6, stun tibbers opponent's face, flashing on them - incinerate, and finish with disintegrate/ignite (so look forward to level 12 if you aren't yet). Most older players have had their face raped by this before, but I'm sure you can get it down and obliterate people for a while.

The toughest part is knowing when to use da bear. And for me, I had issues with counting spells and stuff. She is a bad ass, and gets banned sometimes in draft.

Once you have flash, you should basically never not run it. I kinda wish they would remove it.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #177 on: September 21, 2011, 08:09:34 AM

Lately, I have been on some teams where Vayne has really carried the game. She is a beast.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #178 on: September 21, 2011, 11:45:00 AM

Lately, I have been on some teams where Vayne has really carried the game. She is a beast.

She is pretty brutal. Probably my least favorite ranged AD carry to lane mid against with Morgana because of her escape/chase down ability.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #179 on: September 21, 2011, 12:57:22 PM

You can't just lock her in a pool and run away? Vayne is more or less my main but I don't really think her early laning is all that. Her damage spirals totally out of control mid-late game, but before that happens it's really hard to get trades to work out in her favor since she's so squishy. At very low levels Tumble is on a pretty long cooldown so if she gets aggressive with it you can just start hitting her and there's nothing much she can do except disengage with Condemn (the pushback). She can use Tumble to dodge skillshots, but if she's doing that then she's not using it for spacing, which a big deal since she can't harass at all outside of her 550 autoattack range.

Vayne has no hope of defeating most other ranged ADs in a solo lane unless her positioning is just godly. Don't have much experience against Morgana specifically.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: September 21, 2011, 03:08:34 PM

I really love Vayne (she was my first 6300 ip champ too) but I just can't enjoy her compared to Cait, Trist, Kog'Maw.   Her range is too short and she gets caught out because of it sometimes.  No tumble through walls is harsh too.  Tumble stealth is nice but I have trouble using it effectively.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: September 21, 2011, 03:54:17 PM

Is it normal to have a "pounce" ability that goes through walls? I know Jax's leap doesn't.

- Viin
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #182 on: September 21, 2011, 04:24:01 PM

Yup. Jax's does as well; I use it to jump to my baron/dragon ward all the time when running away.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: September 21, 2011, 06:10:01 PM

Does it only work on friendlies? Tried a few times on enemies and it didn't seem to work, but maybe I was just positioned weird.

- Viin
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #184 on: September 21, 2011, 07:21:24 PM

Yep it works on friendlies just like Kat's Shunpo.   Caitlyn's net will even send her over walls.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: September 21, 2011, 07:50:47 PM

Is it normal to have a "pounce" ability that goes through walls? I know Jax's leap doesn't.

Most movement abilities go through walls, including Trynd's spin, Gragas belly bump, Lee's dash thing, etc.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: September 21, 2011, 08:07:45 PM

Gragas waddling straight through walls always looks so weird to me. Can't do it with Tumble, of course, noooo...
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #187 on: September 21, 2011, 09:21:16 PM

Speaking of Vayne, I find that 40% of the time I kick ass with her and 60% of the time I flame out. She seems like the AD ranged carry most likely to get behind and never catch up, due to her lack of utility, poor range and general squish factor. It is extremely satisfying when you do well with her though.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Vaiti
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: September 22, 2011, 12:19:18 AM

The thing with Jax and Lee is they need a target within range to go through walls. I tend to always run them with wards after 6, especially if I'm running them jungle.

From blue you can basically instantly be at the mid side brush. Flash over the wall, pop ward over wall, juke to the ward.

EvE: Caern Robillard | Cua D'Mon
Steam Profile
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: September 22, 2011, 01:21:43 AM

Are you implying you don't run wards with most heroes after level 6?  Ohhhhh, I see.
Vaiti
Terracotta Army

Reply #190 on: September 22, 2011, 01:39:20 AM

No, I just tend to insure I SAVE a ward on those champs, and try to always insure I have at least one ward in reserve for GTFO situations. Having a ward handy with Lee and Jax gives you that much more mobility.

Steam Profile
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: September 22, 2011, 02:44:44 AM

I know  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #192 on: September 22, 2011, 07:12:32 AM

So here I will show my n00bness. What the fuck is a ward, what does is do and how do I get one? That's an item, right?

Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #193 on: September 22, 2011, 07:19:14 AM

Wards are an item you buy from the consumables tab. They give you a bit of vision around where they've been placed and last for 3 minutes.
Vaiti
Terracotta Army

Reply #194 on: September 22, 2011, 07:19:50 AM

It's a consumable item that provides vision around it.

Two types, sight ward (green ward) and vision ward (pink ward).

Sight ward cost 75 gold, and only provide sigh, vision wards cost 120, and can also see invisable units, including other wards, teemo mushrooms, eve, twitch, shaco, ect;

My Favorite video about warding

Steam Profile
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #195 on: September 22, 2011, 07:34:14 AM

Watching pro streams, basically every time they come back early/mid game they buy a sight ward (and a couple health pots). They use them to protect their lane so that they can farm minions so that they can farm champs.

I was watching Hotshotgg, that bought probably 10-15 wards total in 5 minutes around baron time. They was a Janna with Oracle clearing them out, so he needed to replace them.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #196 on: September 22, 2011, 08:45:45 AM

What am I supposed to be doing with Cait?  I think had a her solidly built in a bot game (trying to learn her before giving her a shot), but her damage was really underwhelming.  I was most effective at the start using her Q to harass, but her damage throughout was a bit underwhelming.

-Rasix
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #197 on: September 22, 2011, 09:07:14 AM

What am I supposed to be doing with Cait?  I think had a her solidly built in a bot game (trying to learn her before giving her a shot), but her damage was really underwhelming.  I was most effective at the start using her Q to harass, but her damage throughout was a bit underwhelming.

Underwhelming? Cait is one of the highest dps in game.zerk boots, IE, phantom dancer, black cleaver, bloodthirster - standard ad carry build.

Early game is all about  Q , her innate (7th shot crit) and ult. By end game her Q damage drops off and is basically a loss of dps , but her autoattacks are insane. plus traps are really good - ward like things to secure your bushes, quick cc you can drop mid fight or to setup gank. i start usually with zeal, bf sword and zerk boots. arp+mp/5 runes.
Vaiti
Terracotta Army

Reply #198 on: September 22, 2011, 09:09:16 AM

Yep, it's all about them crits. Hit some minions and harass with your range, save the 7th charged shot for a fight/gank ect;

In case you didn't know, she has the longest starting autoattack range in the game.

Steam Profile
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #199 on: September 22, 2011, 09:15:26 AM

Ahh, I wasn't really playing off the 7 shot mechanic.  I'll have to give her a go in a few pvp rounds and see how I do.  Still very noobish as you can see  awesome, for real

-Rasix
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #200 on: September 22, 2011, 09:18:17 AM

I had much success with stacking Armor Penetration. All ArPen runes (Marks,Quints. Started with boots, pots, rushed brutalizer, then BF sword, then Bloodthirster.

Once I have finished the brutalizer, I sit at roughly 50 ArPen, with reduces most champions armor to 0 if they don't buy armor items. If they stack armor, I buy a last whisper. If all goes well I just stack AD. There have been times where I oneshotted Ashe with my ultimate from almost max health. Hillarious.

(Have I not written that before somewhere else ?)

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
statisticalfool
Terracotta Army

Reply #201 on: September 22, 2011, 10:46:31 AM

Also, Cait's game is lane control. Traps traps traps and your super long attack range. Force them into one side of lane, by putting out 3 traps, and then just frustrate them away from doing anything. When they step on a trap, Q them, then reset the trap.

I'm still not great with Cait. Her toolset is better early (although rocket jump + flash = total lols), but she doesn't have the attack steroid that a lot of ADs come with. So you kind of need to do well with her to get her late game going.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #202 on: September 22, 2011, 11:44:47 AM

I had much success with stacking Armor Penetration. All ArPen runes (Marks,Quints. Started with boots, pots, rushed brutalizer, then BF sword, then Bloodthirster.

Once I have finished the brutalizer, I sit at roughly 50 ArPen, with reduces most champions armor to 0 if they don't buy armor items. If they stack armor, I buy a last whisper. If all goes well I just stack AD. There have been times where I oneshotted Ashe with my ultimate from almost max health. Hillarious.

(Have I not written that before somewhere else ?)

I haven't even looked at Armor Penetration yet, but I think I will try adding a bit to Jax next time to see if that helps with the tougher targets. Once you have good +Damage, a 20% increase in damage due to a 25 point decrease in Armor would be awesome.

- Viin
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #203 on: September 22, 2011, 11:46:28 AM

A huge chunk of Jax's damage is magical; a void staff really helps with him late game.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #204 on: September 22, 2011, 11:49:25 AM

Funny, I keep forgetting to look at the typical damage output I do - I know Sivir does practically 50/50 magic/physical, but I totally forgot to check on Jax. Thanks for the tip.

- Viin
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #205 on: September 22, 2011, 12:57:15 PM

I really wish there was some sort of interface during the game showing much of what kind of damage I just did. I think it would be a handy learning tool. I also want one for what kind of damage did I just take, without having to die to find out. At this point I generally know who fucked me u[, but when I was learning it wasn't always obvious that in the big fight it was Karthus' aura owning me, not the Yi chewing on my leg.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #206 on: September 22, 2011, 01:17:52 PM

One during champ selection would be nice too for rune selection.

Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #207 on: September 22, 2011, 02:45:12 PM

I'd love to be able to have rune pages per champ instead of a flat 10 pages. Same with masteries. I almost with Dota2 would add runes/masteries so that I could set them by default using per character config files. Then maybe I could have nice things in LoL.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #208 on: September 22, 2011, 02:49:07 PM

I'd love to be able to have rune pages per champ instead of a flat 10 pages.

Don't forget customizeable recommended items that are easy to setup and use in the client as well. 

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #209 on: September 22, 2011, 02:49:54 PM

And champ-specific keyboard mappings?

- Viin
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 25 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  League of Legends  |  Topic: Good character for a total newb  
Jump to: