Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:29:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Blood Bowl Bullshit  |  Topic: S#4 - Game Day #3 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: S#4 - Game Day #3  (Read 42347 times)
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: May 25, 2011, 05:37:50 PM

4-1 loss to Comstar.  I'm just glad I was able to score and not have any of my players end up with an injury or dead.  Comstar had to use his Apoch early otherwise one of his girls would have been killed.  I didn't play too badly, but I did make mistakes that hurt me, esp. against an experienced coach like him.  Morg was near useless as my star player, though my wizard came in handy and helped me get my only TD.  I really, really need to get some block on my Saurus.  And more rerolls. ACK!
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #36 on: May 25, 2011, 07:24:28 PM

Not sure what to say. 1-0 win goes to Haemish in a match I felt pretty comfortable in all the way up to the end.

Not sure exactly where I went wrong, but overall I think I'm getting better.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #37 on: May 25, 2011, 07:33:21 PM

Peace Dogs 1 - Dancing Monkies 0

This was a much closer game than it should have been, but my overconfidence got the better of me. I took WAY too many extra risks early on and spent most of the game on the back foot having to take those risks to get back ahead. I received the ball to start and sent an experienced catcher downfield for an open bomb, but failed a roll before I could pick up the ball. My second turn the same thing happened, as the ball was left on the pitch with Chaos approaching. When I finally picked the ball up, my catcher was on his poncy little ass. Lots of pickups by elves followed by knockdowns by the Chaos team and a bunch of needless back and forth before the half ended. I managed to break a good cage once to get the ball back but couldn't do anything with it.

Chaos received to start the second half, even getting a free move and once again knocking a number of my fruity elves on their tender derriers. He caged the ball well a few times but I managed to knock the ball out of the cage twice, picking the ball up the first time only to be slapped down. The second caging was a beautiful thing, though, as Nuffle graced me with all the luck. With the ball surrounded by 2 Chaos Warriors and 2 Beastmen, I managed to get a clear path to pick up the ball, run sideways and down the field to throw to an open man in the endzone. TOUCHDOWN! Peace Dogs 1. With 3 turns left, I kicked it off to Chaos, messing up the kick by putting it out of bounds. Luckily, he picked a beastman in the back for a pickup and I spent the rest of the game backing off, trying to contain and delay. On the final turn he had a cage surrounding the ball carrier with three elves in front of it, spaced out to force dodges or a blitz to get past. A blitzing beastman took out the elven thrower on the end, opening the way for one beastman to stand in the endzone while the ball carrier ran as close to the endzone as he dared before throwing the ball.

My game and possibly my season resting on a beastman's throw and catch rolls? I'll take those odds. The ball slipped through the beastman's hands, ending his final turn and ensuring my victory!

Great game by Paelos. He played well and I lucked out.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #38 on: May 25, 2011, 07:34:39 PM

Not sure what to say. 1-0 win goes to Haemish in a match I felt pretty comfortable in all the way up to the end.

Not sure exactly where I went wrong, but overall I think I'm getting better.

The only thing I can think you might have done differently is on that last kickoff. Instead of giving the ball to the guy in the back, give it to one of the beastmen or chaos warriors on the front line. That's worth a turn of movement right there, and you might not have had to make that last throw.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #39 on: May 25, 2011, 08:54:36 PM

3-1 Hippies over the Tards.

It was a good game. Teleku went in for a quick TD and I promptly threw a long bomb to a Blitzer, GFI TD to tie it up. I made a couple really bad mistakes trying a new idea, a misclick and a couple bad moves in the wrong order. My lack of experience kicking my butt. And of course any mistake against the elves is an elf TD (when they don't blow the GFI roll, hurk). So I spent the second half trying to rack up some SPP and trying a couple ideas out, not really worrying too much about the game. Until I made that really bad drive, I thought I had a chance, maybe I should try harder in the second half, heh. Instead it was just elf bashin' time.

Killed a couple of his Loners, knocked out a wardancer. He used the apoth on a loner and then cursed as he realized what he had done. This resulted in the funniest kickoff of the game, with most of his guys backup up to his goal line. You could smell the elf urine from my side of the pitch. I still managed to get blitz in. First game fielding a troll, not that he really did all that much.

Managed to score this season, finally (and a long bomb+GFI!), but still remain a contender for loser bowl, heh. 0-3, the Tards are just not playing well this season. Can't really blame the dice.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #40 on: May 26, 2011, 07:16:56 AM

The only thing I can think you might have done differently is on that last kickoff. Instead of giving the ball to the guy in the back, give it to one of the beastmen or chaos warriors on the front line. That's worth a turn of movement right there, and you might not have had to make that last throw.

That's a good point. I was 2 squares away from getting it in the endzone. I'll remember that.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #41 on: May 26, 2011, 08:00:05 AM

Make sure you remember it against someone else.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS  awesome, for real

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #42 on: May 26, 2011, 08:01:47 AM

Make sure you remember it against someone else.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS  awesome, for real

Once I buy a minotaur it's gonna get nasty!  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #43 on: May 26, 2011, 08:17:12 AM

I was deliriously happy that you had not opted for a mino at team creation. I love the Mino on my Feeder League Chaos team. He's been the main points getter.

carnifex27
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: May 26, 2011, 08:28:13 AM

The Skink should probably get Sure Hands if it can, it would have been useful
Skinks only get agility skills without doubles.  Sure hands is usually the first pick when it's available.  Otherwise most folks just fire skinks if they hit level 3 without doubles or a stat up.  Catch is one of the three useful skills for a skink in the agility section, but usually not one I pick, diving tackle and sidestep tend to be more useful.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #45 on: May 26, 2011, 11:07:52 AM

I actually think sure feet is pretty good too, personally.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: May 26, 2011, 01:46:00 PM

COME TO ME ULYSEES.  MAKE YOUR TIME.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: May 26, 2011, 02:04:18 PM

So apparently, norse are a long pass team.

<glares at Sjofn>

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #48 on: May 26, 2011, 02:07:49 PM

Not if you have my thrower, who has never completed a pass.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #49 on: May 26, 2011, 02:11:54 PM

It FEELS like a MILLION TO NOTHING VICTORY for the Mutiny! The first half was basically a parade of me fucking up and wasting time after recieving the ball, so it was 0-0 at the half. Eldaec scored (I did remember to WIZZARD him, so he had a new experience in that regard). I got the ball, dodged my runner away from who knows who into the semi-clear after my berserker fled into the end zone, desperation in his eyes (and also dodging away from someone, I think). Long pass! COMPLETION!

1-1 tie!

No deaths! Although one of my linemen ALMOST died!

No real injuries!

Not quite the murderfest I was expecting, thank God.

God Save the Horn Players
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: May 26, 2011, 02:20:41 PM

Silver Horde 1 - 1 The Mutiny

First half Mutiny elect to receive, they quickly form a cage, but overcommit to the right a little early, Horde are able to cut off the cage from support and force them back up the pitch. Mutiny prevent a TD with some careful dodgy play, the sort of play that further convinces me Sjofn is a ringer. 0-0 at the half.

Second half, Mutiny lose a few KOs and Badly hurts, which thins out the right side, allowing Horde to make run for the line. Mutiny keep pressure on the ball and force Silver Horde to score on turn 13. For the final drive Mutiny have four turns to equalise, Horde form up for a disciplined line of scrimmage defence. Turn 13 is spent picking up the ball, little incident but Horde get a runner over the line to slow things down. Turn 14 Mutiny make little progress, get some bad luck on injury rolls, and the Horde are able to push the line into Mutiny's half. Turn 15 Mutiny get one beserker in range of the TD line, but the ball carrier is held up on the left flank and marked to hell and back, while the beserker is dogpiled and knocked down. Turn 16, beserker jump up dodge run to line, ballcarrier dodge dodge doge GFI GFI long bomb failed-intercept catch, TD, 1-1, thanks for coming you've been a great audience.

No long term injuries though - both teams full strength for day 4.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 03:04:11 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #51 on: May 26, 2011, 02:27:02 PM

It was all very dramatic! And totally horseshit!

If any of you watch the replay for some reason, I'd skip the first half, it's really boring (imo) although I guess you have the fun of watching my runner run crying from the Silver Horde for 8 turns.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: May 26, 2011, 02:39:40 PM

BBManager says I achieved 23 knock downs. Which sounds like a lot idk.

Also I rolled nine fours.

Statistical analysis itt.

Lineman Dirk Hardpec becomes Mutiny's third level 2 player, sadly no level ups for the mighty Horde.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #53 on: May 26, 2011, 02:46:48 PM

Well, it felt like a lot of knock downs, if that means anything.  why so serious?

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: May 26, 2011, 02:51:02 PM

It was twenty, and then three more.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #55 on: May 26, 2011, 05:39:15 PM

I'd say well above-average for a Norse squad - I normally get mid-teens. Though to be fair, you were playing against someone that actually engaged you in a melee, so that made targets a bit more plentiful.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: May 26, 2011, 10:03:36 PM

Burrowing Beetles and Ex-Presidents tie 1-1.  I won the toss, elected to receive, and proceeded to put up a spirited defense that was a bit too spirited and left no time on the clock for me to score in the first half.

Second half the Presidents' kick went out of bounds and I put the ball in the safe and secure hands of a tomb guardian, who proceeded to shuffle his way slowly towards the endzone, accidentally dodging once on the way and somehow succeeding.  Two squares from the endzone he had to dodge for REALZ, and of course, failed, but a blitz-ra was there to save the day and scoop up the ball and run it in to tie the game.

No major casualties to report, just some broken ribs for President Jefferson (miss next game).

Replay is submitted.

Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #57 on: May 26, 2011, 10:16:45 PM

Yeah, pretty uneventful game that ended about how I figured it would.  I was surprised by your attempted dodge in the second half though towards the end zone, I had no way of blocking that tomb guardian, really, and I think you could have waited another round to solidify his run. 

My main mistake this match was not paying attention during kick-off.  The time ticked down and the computer did a piss-poor job of kicking the ball so, of course, proudft was able to hand it to a tomb guardian, which would ordinarily have very little chance to pick up the ball and turned out to be really difficult to take down even though I managed to get a two dice block on it towards the end.  Still, the entire match felt like a stalemate so the 1 - 1 score really was deserved. 

I was a little mad to miss my final pass on Richard Nixon and end the game with 15/16 SPPs on him, but Franklin Pierce racked up two more casualties, breaking the bonds of mediocrity which his name implies.

All in all, a standard Chaos v. Khemri stalemate that was fun to play.  I look forward to more of them!

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Ulysees
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: May 27, 2011, 12:36:46 AM

Should be good to play our match tonight Ironwood, will keep an eye out for you on steam.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #59 on: May 27, 2011, 12:57:00 PM

Is there an easy way to check on how many games are as yet unplayed for a day?

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: May 27, 2011, 12:58:43 PM

You can look at the league in-game, go to the calendar page and see which ones still show as ?-? for score.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #61 on: May 27, 2011, 12:59:29 PM

You can look at the league in-game, go to the calendar page and see which ones still show as ?-? for score.

That involves logging in...I meant from work and such.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #62 on: May 27, 2011, 01:23:52 PM

There are currently 7 unplayed matches, Paelos.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #63 on: May 27, 2011, 01:37:24 PM

There are currently 7 unplayed matches, Paelos.

Thanks!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Get on it you lazy-asses!

ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: May 27, 2011, 01:41:54 PM

I am going to be a lazy ass until at least Tuesday. Out of town for a wedding, sorry.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: May 27, 2011, 01:42:51 PM

Dwarf vs. soon-to-be-less-High Elves should be commencing in about 7 hours-ish.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: May 27, 2011, 01:59:19 PM

1-0 to IanC. Despite 2 deaths on my side and 2 casualties, it was actually a really close game and I was very very close to scoruing on the final turn. If I had known you cannot pass after blitzing I would probably have swung a draw.

Full writeup later

Hic sunt dracones.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #67 on: May 27, 2011, 02:04:48 PM

I am going to be a lazy ass until at least Tuesday. Out of town for a wedding, sorry.

What kind of jackass gets married Memorial Day weekend?

I pity you, sad cloud.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: May 27, 2011, 02:08:55 PM

About to kick off for the Itchers.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #69 on: May 27, 2011, 02:55:52 PM

Just finished the match vs SirT's Nurgle.

He bought a wizard, Bloodweiser Babes and some bribes with his inducements and I won the toss, electing to kick first.

The kickoff event was a blitz and I took advantage by clearing a path down the left side of the pitch and getting a couple of Elves into his backfield. I also open an account with the undertaker by murdering a rotter with the first block of the game. I push the advantage over the next few turns and knock most of his team over, with my star Assassin getting Badly Hurt in the process. The Nurgle team is getting bogged down so SirT makes a thin cage and tries to break the ball out down towards my endzone. I stall him, crack open the cage and take the ball carrier out. Unfortunately the ball bounces into the hands of the player who just blitzed so I'm unable to get the ball away immediately, I clear away some space and throw the ball down field only for the blitzer on the other end of the pass to fluff the catch. Luckily for me SirT gets a turnover from a bad block before he has a chance to threaten the ball and I take the opportunity to damage some more of the Nurgle team before scooping the ball with the previously butterfingered blitzer and running him to one square off the endzone and well out of range of any Nurgle players. The Nurgle Wizard decides that this is a good time to send a lightning bolt towards the pitch and knocks my lone Blitzer over. Luckily for me the ball stayed in bounds and the blitzer made his armour roll. I do some more damage and then stand the blitzer back up and grab the ball which is lying in the endzone for a touchdown at the half-time whistle.

For the second half SirT's only KO'd player fails to get up meaning he's four men down although his bench is deep enough to cover it. Kickoff result is a perfect defence and the scrum starts again. I move a couple of players back behind the Nurgle line again but SirT has a much deeper defence and the game deteriorates into several different brawls in different parts of the pitch. I get a lot of pushes and fail a lot of Foul Appearance rolls but eventually I get my agi 5 Blitzer with the ball more or less clear and a bit of a cage around a Witch Elf ready to receive. The pass is good but the catch is awful, as is the next one. And the next. And the fourth. The ball bounces between several players who all needed a 3+ to keep a hold of the ball even with the Foul Appearance zones and eventually comes to rest loose on the pitch. SirT clears away a marker then gets a Beastman on the ball who makes a pass downfield. The catch is successful after burning a reroll and it's looking very much as though the Nurgle team can equalise. I pull players back to cover the ball carrier and his friends and manage to get a successful blitz on the ball carrier who goes down only for me to fail a dodge roll away from the Beast of Nurgle with the guy I had planned to pick the ball up with. Another Beastman grabs the ball in the next turn and he too is flattened before he can do anything with it. This time the ball bounces into the hands of a Dark Elf who quickly becomes a target for the Nurgle team. With the Beast of Nurgle parked next to him I have to burn a reroll in dodging away and then I fumble the throw. Once more a Beastman grabs the ball and the excitement goes to his head as he too messes up the pass. The ball sails backwards into empty space in my half and a Lineman makes a heroic dodge and sprint to grab it. He attempts to lob it down to a waiting Witch Elf only to fumble the throw after all of that. Luckily for me the Nurgle team failed to pick the ball up thanks to the lone Elf marking the ball and I get a chance to bring more bodies down to try and make it safer but fail a dodge moving a blitzer away from the sideline. The Nurgle team can score but they need to clear away some Elves, make a successful pickup and either a dodge or a couple of GFI rolls on their very last turn. Fortunately for me it all became moot when the Nurgle Warrior who blitzed away the remaining ball marker ended up picking up the ball in the process. As he couldn't do anything with it and didn't have the movement to get it to my endzone the match was over.

1-0 to me. It would have been more but Disturbing Presence really screws up a throwing game - although it wasn't responsible for any failed throws, it was the cause of 3 failed catches on my side. I rolled three ones out of eight catch attempts, made two and the rest were failed due to DP. I took two casualties - one niggling injury on a Lineelf and my BH Assassin while dealing out two injuries back (both on Beastmen, one MNG and one BH) and two dead Rotters.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 03:16:15 PM by IainC »

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Blood Bowl Bullshit  |  Topic: S#4 - Game Day #3  
Jump to: