Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 07:21:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Blood Bowl Bullshit  |  Topic: S#4 - Game Day #2 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: S#4 - Game Day #2  (Read 26639 times)
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: May 18, 2011, 12:24:41 PM

And now +1str on random ball carriers...

We've created a monster.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #71 on: May 18, 2011, 12:36:54 PM

He's going to punch the shit out of some people! I hope.

God Save the Horn Players
Ice Cream Emperor
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: May 18, 2011, 01:20:44 PM

Versus a Dauntless Witch Elf with Block and an assist he should go down about 45% of the time.

Are you including the fact that you need a 4+ on the Dauntless roll for it to even work? Right off the bat that's a 50/50 chance of getting a 2d against instead of a 2d for.

Anyways it wasn't my intention to set off a round of 'let us analyze why IanC lost this match so unbelievably my god' -- though it would be cool if more matches received this sort of scrutiny, really, since it's fun to hear what everyone thinks.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #73 on: May 18, 2011, 01:38:19 PM

I won't lie, I'd rather people reach the conclusion "IainC lost the game" or "Sjofn is unbelievably lucky."

How good could a viking bunny be?

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #74 on: May 18, 2011, 01:51:23 PM

Lump Beefbroth, Norse runner, now has +1 str.
ACK!
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #75 on: May 18, 2011, 02:21:43 PM

...At least it sort of negates Dauntless?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #76 on: May 18, 2011, 02:29:07 PM

...At least it sort of negates Dauntless?

Makes it better in a lot of ways actually. Most of the guys you *really* want that dauntless to work on are str 5+.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #77 on: May 18, 2011, 02:29:46 PM

WATCH OUT OGRES, LUMP BEEFBROTH HUNGERS

(unless of course he dies before I play them, that would be sort of tragic)

proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: May 18, 2011, 03:56:29 PM

You misspelled hilarious.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #79 on: May 18, 2011, 04:13:37 PM

Not as hilarious as Khemri in the rain, though.

Ice Cream Emperor
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: May 18, 2011, 04:27:22 PM

Better hitting some ogre than carrying the ball.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #81 on: May 18, 2011, 04:59:28 PM

My runner can punch AND carry the ball, don't worry.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: May 18, 2011, 05:54:05 PM

Well, This was a game of 2 matches. On the first match me and Andydavo were playing a close game where I cadged up and bashed my way up the field with the ball, and got it within 4 squares of the line  only for him to break the ball free with some good play and pass the ball along his elves to score a TD on turn 8. Then he crashed out at the beginning of the second half and we arranged a rematch tonight.

Unfortunately this time the dice were totally with him and my usual luck returned with Andy rolling a perfect defence. I'm not kidding. Every single member of my team was down on his ass by turn 3, which allowed andy to coast in for a td on turn 4, despite my use of the wizard on turn three and him failing a pickup on turn 2.  He kicked off again (hey look Andy rolled a perfect defence, again) and I again was rolling pushes for my beginning blocks. Then my beastman ran over and the ball slipped out of his hand. This was part of a theme as I failed something like 16 pickup rolls in a row. It resulted in a bit of a punchup in my half as he easily dodged through my line with most of his team, (It didn;t help that I failed to pick up the ball AGAIN on turn 6) but he ran in the ball again on turn 7. My game was complete on turn 8 when the first block I threw resulted in a double both down, which resulted in a turnover and ended the half.

Next turn I was a little distracted by a call I received in the middle of it. Plus I was despondent as hell.

My luck DID Lighten a little. I got some SPP on a rotter and my beast from injuries during the 2nd half

I started by forming a cage for my ball carrier to fight my way to the line similar to what I did in the game that didn't happen. Of course the fact that my Beastman could not pick up a ball to save his life put the kibosh on that. At which point Andys dark elves dodged through my line like it wasn't there. Andy was trying to be encouraging by saying I could hold it to 3-0 or 2-1 but nope. Beastman again failed to pick up the ball and he coasted it  on turn 10 helped with his uncanny ability to put my guys on their ass.

Kickoff result was "cheering fans" giving me an extra reroll. Again I tried to build a cage. Unbelievably my beastman picked up the ball! And again His dark elves dodged through it , knocked over the ball carrier and the ball was thrown in right in front of one of his guys, who retreated up the pitch while the rest of his team dodged through my line and knocked over whoever they wanted. The next turn saw a rare bright spot as The beast scored an ingury, causing a fractured skull which reduced a dark elves armour by one point permanently. I tried to go after the dark elf, but I failed a GFI roll despite burning a reroll and that was that. The dark elves ran the ball down the side of the pitch and  tried a pass which failed but did leave the ball deep in my half. But my beast was on its own and drooling, wondering what do do. A rotter ran and grabbed the ball, but another rotter tried to blitz past a dark elf and failed, resulting in a turnover which allowed the elves to calmly grab the ball and pass it to an elf standing in the touchdown line for a score on turn 13.

A this point I joked that I wondered could he make it 5-0. Andy said it was unlikely as it was turn 14... and then the kickoff result was a blitz, giving him an extra turn.  Argh!

Well the ball flew into the hands of a dark elf that had run to the place the ball had been flying to. I tried to blitz him but only got a push. But in his next Turn Andy failed his only dodge roll of the game trying to dodge his ball carrier away from my beastman. I passed it to a rotter (no SPP as it was an inaccurate pass) that tried running up the pitch and ran a warrior up to see could I MAYBE get a touchdown. It was not to be as Andy easily knocked over the rotter and grabbed the ball and passed it down the pitch for a TD on turn 16. I did a foul on turn 15 out of frustration and of course the guy was sent off.

5-0 to the F13 Paper Armour Dolls.

Yeah.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 05:31:47 AM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: May 18, 2011, 06:35:37 PM

If Andy repeats Sky might have a stroke.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #84 on: May 18, 2011, 07:31:11 PM

I still think it's a fluke he won last season with such a heavily-depleted team. Perhaps his opponents didn't bash enough.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #85 on: May 18, 2011, 07:54:40 PM

lolgoats

Don't beat yourself up too much over this. Nurgle and Chaos are both quite hard to play well (and win) early on.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: May 18, 2011, 08:49:25 PM

Anyways it wasn't my intention to set off a round of 'let us analyze why IanC lost this match so unbelievably my god' -- though it would be cool if more matches received this sort of scrutiny, really, since it's fun to hear what everyone thinks.

What's the most interesting matches of this round? Or one from each group.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #87 on: May 18, 2011, 09:11:11 PM

I thought Ingmar's and mine was pretty solid and crazy.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Ice Cream Emperor
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: May 18, 2011, 09:19:15 PM

What's the most interesting matches of this round? Or one from each group.

I dunno! I haven't been watching many replays so far. Maybe we should form a Book Club -- er, TV club -- and just pick a few random matchups and commentate. Or players could just request, if they're curious what the mob thinks -- that way people are less likely to get annoyed if somebody is like 'zomg all you had to do was pick up the ball fool' (not that anyone will say that, exactly.) Picking in advance would be nice since it's usually more fun to watch a replay without knowing the result.

In which case presumably opening another thread for that purpose would be ideal.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #89 on: May 18, 2011, 10:01:12 PM

I thought Ingmar's and mine was pretty solid and crazy.

Shh, I don't want everyone to see my greedy 1 die blocks!

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: May 18, 2011, 10:07:52 PM

I think ours was frankly kinda dull, if you're looking for one to skip.  Lots of staring contests.
AndyDavo
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: May 19, 2011, 04:32:20 AM

If Andy repeats Sky might have a stroke.

Now, if that was a promise....
AndyDavo
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: May 19, 2011, 04:33:11 AM

I still think it's a fluke he won last season with such a heavily-depleted team. Perhaps his opponents didn't bash enough.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Fluke you say... Thats one point of view i guess :)
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #93 on: May 19, 2011, 07:03:39 AM

Who hasn't finished yet? I'm ready for more!

Bann
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: May 19, 2011, 07:33:38 AM

Paelos and I spoke earlier in the week to find a time. We are looking to play our match this weekend, we have the AUS-USA time difference making a weekday match highly unlikely.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #95 on: May 19, 2011, 07:38:30 AM

I can do one on Monday now, Bann. I have the day off. That's assuming shit gets done.

Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #96 on: May 19, 2011, 08:24:32 AM

You two might want to look at the schedule on the first page.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #97 on: May 19, 2011, 08:59:31 AM

I am back and forth between Dallas and Denton right now so my playtimes are weird, but I think Eldaec and I will be playing sometime today or tomorrow, whether it is during his evening or morning.  Either way, the Chaos v. Norse bashfest should be on soon.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #98 on: May 19, 2011, 09:15:06 AM

Ezrast and I plan on playing Friday night. My move this week has totally fucked up my non-box-moving-and-unpacking time.

Ulysees
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: May 19, 2011, 09:49:40 AM

Me and Drogg are scheduled for Saturday night UK time - should be plenty of skink bashing goodness in store.
Bann
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: May 19, 2011, 01:13:41 PM

Paelos and I spoke earlier in the week to find a time. We are looking to play our match this weekend, we have the AUS-USA time difference making a weekday match highly unlikely.

Erm, I meant Megrim. Sorry about that.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: May 19, 2011, 01:49:39 PM

Silver Horde 0 - 2 Ex-Presidents

Silver Horde's 12 match unbeaten run stretching back to Alive not Dead in season 2 comes crashing to halt, with the presidents scoring as many TDs as the Horde conceded in the previous 7 matches, and registering the largest ever margin of victory against the Silver Horde.

Basically the chaos side forced the norse into playing the game as an undisciplined brawl centre field. This stopped the Horde being able to switch play around the pitch, and meant they steadily ran out of players. Think I finished with 3 or 4 guys on the field.

Truckle the Uncivil and Old Vincent will both miss the next match through injury.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 01:54:34 PM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: May 19, 2011, 01:51:12 PM

How many presidents did you injure for me?
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: May 19, 2011, 01:52:04 PM

I think there is one guy with a broken jaw.

Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #104 on: May 19, 2011, 02:01:50 PM

Ex-Presidents of Doom 2 - 0 Silver Horde FC

Great game that was hard fought by both sides.  The first half was a slugfest in which I received, and after an initial failed ball pick-up managed to put together a cage while spreading out the Norse into unfavorable positions.  After a slow march up the field, and two knockdowns against my ball carriers, Grover Cleveland finally broke free from the entangled mesh of tackle zones and scored in my 8th round.

Eldaec received in the second half, but I kept my players mostly out of reach until I saw him make a move in his third round.  I almost used my wizard, but decided against it, knocked his ball carrier down with one of my chaos warriors, and marked the hell out of the ball.  After that Eldaec never got the ball back and I managed to (luckily) pick it up with a blitzing Richard Nixon, and then grind it in for another TD on round 16.

KOs really killed Silver Horde in this game.  I'm not sure if that was the determining factor or not, but it certainly contributed to my second TD, which was scored with around 3  Norse still on the field.  Still, when an AR7 team plays against a bashy Chaos team that's the kind of thing that happens if there are a lot of blocks thrown.  Damn good game that easily could have gone against me with just a few rolls being different though, I bet. 

Hopefully we'll see each other again in the playoffs because it was a lot of fun.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Blood Bowl Bullshit  |  Topic: S#4 - Game Day #2  
Jump to: