Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 01:12:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Borgias 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Borgias  (Read 2843 times)
Zaljerem
Terracotta Army

on: April 05, 2011, 09:36:49 AM

New on Showtime.

Jeremy Irons as Rodrigo Borgia / Pope Alexander VI

Every problem has a better solution when you start thinking about it differently than the normal way. - Steve Wozniak
When is [Minecraft] going to get together with DF, have a nice cuddle and a bottle of wine and finally produce the Baby that I want ? - Ironwood
"Thank you for helping us help you help us all." - GlaDOS
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 10:56:21 AM

I'm hoping this is better than that sad excuse for Catholic propaganda that was The Tudors.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 11:01:00 AM

I'm hoping this is better than that sad excuse for Catholic propaganda that was The Tudors.

lol?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 11:50:53 AM

swamp poop

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 11:59:42 AM

Don't tell me ya'll didn't pick up on that.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 12:04:25 PM

Nope. I mean, the king DID split from the church, And to be honest, those in the church were some of the most Despicable people in the series.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 12:46:01 PM

I'm with BW; the people in the church were all assholes.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 12:56:04 PM

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 06:12:15 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2y8Sx4B2Sk

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 02:43:11 PM

I dunno, did you all watch the same series I did? Granted, I have not finished it yet, I'm only up to Jane Seymore, so it may have changed since then, but the characterization of the reformation, the saintliness of Catherine of Aragon, the rural Yorkshire peasantry so upset by the assault on the monasteries, etc, seemed very one-sided to me. Its also about how Henry is portrayed as an idiot throughout. The scheming evil is of course Thomas Cromwell, working behind the scenes. This all may be technically accurate in the factual events, but the characterization seems rather facile to me. It portrays the establishment of the Church of England as an entirely selfish act on the part of Henry, rather than a significant problem with the conduct of the Catholic Church. Sure, the show does have a few 'bad' Catholics here and there, especially at the top, but for the most part, the portrayal of 'true' Catholics, such as Thomas More and Catherine of Aragon seems a bit of a fairytale for current Irish Catholics. It just doesn't have the ring of truth to it for me.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 03:22:20 PM

Err.. wasn't the formation of the Church of England, in fact, an entirely selfish act by Henry?

"I want a divorce"  "No." "Fuck you, here's the Church of England."

That's pretty much how it's been presented to me in all my non-Catholic upbringing.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 03:36:30 PM

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
March
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 03:54:10 PM

I dunno, did you all watch the same series I did? Granted, I have not finished it yet, I'm only up to Jane Seymore, so it may have changed since then, but the characterization of the reformation, the saintliness of Catherine of Aragon, the rural Yorkshire peasantry so upset by the assault on the monasteries, etc, seemed very one-sided to me. Its also about how Henry is portrayed as an idiot throughout. The scheming evil is of course Thomas Cromwell, working behind the scenes. This all may be technically accurate in the factual events, but the characterization seems rather facile to me. It portrays the establishment of the Church of England as an entirely selfish act on the part of Henry, rather than a significant problem with the conduct of the Catholic Church. Sure, the show does have a few 'bad' Catholics here and there, especially at the top, but for the most part, the portrayal of 'true' Catholics, such as Thomas More and Catherine of Aragon seems a bit of a fairytale for current Irish Catholics. It just doesn't have the ring of truth to it for me.
The English schism of Henry VIII is not the same as the English Reformation of Edward VI.  The series was actually rather impressive in not confusing the two, and doing a pretty good job of illustrating the factions and tensions among the reformers and the establishmentarians (for lack of a better word) in Henry's court.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 04:51:52 PM

I was too busy writing my essay on the inherent anti-semitism of the Rumplestiltskin fairy tale.  A crafty gnomish figure that "spins straw into gold" in order to steal a woman's firstborn, who would be king?

It's an obvious metaphor for the Jewish banking families behind the scenes manipulation of the European monarchies through finance and banking ("spinning straw into gold") during the 19th century.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Borgias  
Jump to: