Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:31:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Divinity 2: Ego Draconis - Larian Studios - PC, 360 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Divinity 2: Ego Draconis - Larian Studios - PC, 360  (Read 2490 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

on: March 28, 2011, 09:15:33 AM

So there's this necromancer. He completes a ritual by killing his beloved, but not before making a Frankenstein's monster version of her (sans tongue). At one point (minor spoiler, deal) you encounter the monster version while in the company of the original beloved. The monster says (with a great voice actress acting out the sans tongue dialogue) she wants the original's legs, because they look nicer. And then, my favorite quote thus far...."As of now, your limbs are on sale, and I'm going chopping."

I was a big fan of the original Divine Divinity, despite my utter lassitude toward Diablo-style action games. There was a great deal of exploration to the game, it was pretty huge and rewarded the explorer like crazy. I did not play Beyond Divinity, I forget why. Divinity 2 captures the feel of the original, while being a lot more constricted in level design. The dungeons in particular are much smaller. But the world has a decent amount of secrets that help balance that somewhat. And teleporters to cut down on travel once you've unlocked them is always nice.

The skill system is open, you get some ability and skill points to spend every level. Skills are tiered by level, but the whole tree is open. So you can grab stuff from any tree. Off the top of my head, the trees are: summoner, mage, warrior, ranger, dragon knight, weapon styles. Gear can also give you free levels of skill, if you've unlocked the tier. Hotbar for abilities, button attacks, no auto-attack. You get one 'free' summon, a flesh golem you can upgrade with new parts as you find them. Respec at increasing cost is available around mid-game.

There's a whole crafting system I haven't really dug into much. At one point in the game, you get access to your battle tower (I just unlocked it last night, 20 hours or whatever into it). In there you get a trainer, an alchemist, an enchanter and a necromancer. Also some guys (Tom, Dick and Harry) who you can send on harvesting missions so you don't have to hunt down materials. Sounds very SWTOR. You can also upgrade them with better gear so they can work more efficiently. You also get a storage vault in the tower...which kinda sucks if you're a packrat (and the steam version starts you with like 20 DLC items). There's a skill to raise your inventory over the default 100, but even at 140 I was struggling to keep a few slots open for stuff. Stacks count as 1 slot. But you can load up on encumbrance skill and respec out after you get storage, so it's temporary but annoying at first.

I've come to hate DLC. When I hit level 15 I got access to the DLC gear I'd been lugging around, and promptly began wiping the floor with enemies. So I took it off and as of last night, it's in the Vault. Not just the ease factor, but it removes the fun of finding upgrades, because as of level 18 nothing is even close to the DLC stuff in power. One helm was kind of a cool vicary looking miter thing, the rest was just a bit over the top and color were gaudy. So...my recommend is skip the DLC items. Game gets pretty easy around then anyway.

Graphics are really shiny. My 4yr old pc with a gtx460 sweats a bit, it can peg the gpu running at 1080p with everything on and low shadows, no reflections or AA. But...no crashing! After playing Fallout:NV, it's so nice to have a game that's not completely buggy (there are a few, but not many and no game-breakers I've found). The sound is outstanding, music is great and it's fully voiced. Nice variety of accents and voice actors, also lots of humor. Only audio downside is loud footsteps without a separate slider for them.

Verdict: Buy it. It's a great action rpg. Great looks and sound, exploration, and some chuckle-worthy camp humor.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 02:51:16 PM

I remember Divine divinity as being pretty decent. I didn;t play it very much, mainly as I realised how sick I was of Diablo style games right about then, but this sounds interesting. I'll take a look after I've finished chewing though my stack of games.

Hic sunt dracones.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 01:07:57 AM

AH, thats why I didn't remember all that stuff from the first time I tackled the game. It was 1.0 without any DLC.

Liked it too, loved the story. I never found out what it had to do with Dvine Divinity, though.  awesome, for real
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Divinity 2: Ego Draconis - Larian Studios - PC, 360  
Jump to: