Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:18:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2011 NCAA Tournament Pickem Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2011 NCAA Tournament Pickem Thread  (Read 21555 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

on: March 08, 2011, 02:55:15 PM

http://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com/t1/register/joinprivategroup_assign_team?GID=36298&P=georgia

Group: 36298
pass: georgia

Join up for bracket bragging. Plus the million dollar thing if you pick them all right, which I think they've never done in the history of anything.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 10:27:11 AM

Make sure to sign up today if you haven't already. We only have one day to get picks together before the tournament starts on tuesday.

WayAbvPar

Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 12:37:21 PM

It looks like everyone from last year got invitation emails, but if you want to join another bracket contest-

http://f13.mayhem.cbssports.com/

Password- f13bc

I can't tell if this is just the old group from last year- it looks like to rolled over into a new group for this year. Will be able to tell after the selection show.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 01:09:02 PM

Still a couple days left to sign up in the yahoo one for those that haven't yet.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 06:14:53 AM

7 signed up in the Yahoo one so far, you have until tomorrow to get in and make selections since the games start Thursday.

Luckily they don't count the call-it-the-first-round-when-it's-just-a-play-in games as the start.

WayAbvPar

Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 08:27:07 AM

Yeah I was sweating that- haven't had time to half-ass any research yet!

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 08:33:24 AM

I hope everyone is ready for a thorough ass kicking.  My brackets are lock solid. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 08:49:42 AM

Mine are batshit insane.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 10:26:47 AM

I have no chance of winning but threw in a bracket anyway.  Good luck to those of you that know what you're doing.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 11:20:54 AM

I have no chance of winning but threw in a bracket anyway.  Good luck to those of you that know what you're doing.

I think it's a strong assumption to believe that any of us know what we are doing.   why so serious?

Edit:  BTW, how you liking Tubby up there now?  Seems like he may be considering ditching you guys and heading to Arkansas. 
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 11:25:36 AM

Edit:  BTW, how you liking Tubby up there now?  Seems like he may be considering ditching you guys and heading to Arkansas. 

Tubby has to do what's best for Tubby.  Besides, Minnesota is a hockey state.  We don't need no stinkin' basketball. 

I won the f13 bracket a few years ago when I had the time to follow NCAA basketball.  The key then was to look at matchups.  Anyone that knows the team tendencies can do well in these brackets.  Ok, that and knowing which teams are healthy and playing in top form. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 11:34:21 AM

That and taking the chalk. Nobody above a 5 seed is going to the final four.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 11:50:38 AM

I'll take that bet.  I'll go a step further and bet that 3 of the 4 Final Four teams are 1-3 seeds. 

-  Mark Twain
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 12:20:54 PM

I follow college basketball pretty closely, but never have much luck with brackets.  I've come in third on a few pools over the past 20 plus years, but rarely do very well. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 12:35:34 PM

I'll take that bet.  I'll go a step further and bet that 3 of the 4 Final Four teams are 1-3 seeds. 

That's almost a lock. Certainly happened the last 3 years.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: March 15, 2011, 12:52:48 PM

That's almost a lock. Certainly happened the last 3 years.

Isn't the whole point of betting to win your bet?

-  Mark Twain
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #16 on: March 15, 2011, 01:07:37 PM

I think Paelos means anyone below a 5 seed. "Above a 5 seed" means 1-4 to me.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: March 15, 2011, 01:23:24 PM

I think Paelos means anyone below a 5 seed. "Above a 5 seed" means 1-4 to me.

Oh... I was confused.  I thought he meant the exact opposite. 

My bad.

-  Mark Twain
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #18 on: March 15, 2011, 01:58:50 PM

Above means bigger number to me. 6 is above 5, etc.

However, it can be confusing because a higher seeded team means a lower number.  swamp poop

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #19 on: March 15, 2011, 08:52:02 PM

Looks like UAB made a pretty strong case for being let into the tournament....

I don't get the 12 versus 12 play in game.  It seems logical to me that the play in games should all be 16 seeds. 
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #20 on: March 15, 2011, 09:34:04 PM

Looks like UAB made a pretty strong case for being let into the tournament....

I don't get the 12 versus 12 play in game.  It seems logical to me that the play in games should all be 16 seeds. 

13-16 seeds are pretty much reserved for minor teams with auto-bids for the most part, would be lame to make auto-bids have to play in, it should be reserved for the iffy bubble teams.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #21 on: March 16, 2011, 05:03:57 AM

But the seeding essentially ranks the teams from first to last in terms of quality.  Yes, Clemson barely got in but I don't think anyone would argue that they are a much better team than any of the #16 seeds.  It makes sense that the worst teams should be the ones to "play in" and it shouldn't matter if the bid is automatic or not. 

The big problem with the NCAA tournament is that there are too many small potatoes conferences that don't stand a chance in hell anyway.  I am not a proponent of "the little guy" in these situations.  I see no merit whatsoever in watching a 16 or 15 paste a 2 or 1 from a small time conference.  I would much rather see the 16 or 15 play a bottom dweller from a major conference that didn't get in, e.g. Minnesota or LSU.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #22 on: March 16, 2011, 06:26:48 AM

The smallers schools lobbied against that treatment because they said the NCAA was trying to knock them all out by giving them 16 seeds for winning their tournaments.

Toss in the fact that teams that were halfway decent (Clemson, Southern Cal) are on the bubble from major conferences, and they got a 12 seed.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: March 16, 2011, 06:29:09 AM

Most of the 15 and 16 seeds would be eliminated in the first or second round of the NIT.  This is the problem.  The NCAA tournament is supposed to be comprised of the 64 best teams.  It's clearly not.

-  Mark Twain
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #24 on: March 16, 2011, 06:46:20 AM

Most of the 15 and 16 seeds would be eliminated in the first or second round of the NIT.  This is the problem.  The NCAA tournament is supposed to be comprised of the 64 best teams.  It's clearly not.

I don't think it's supposed to be comprised of the 64 best teams. It's supposed to be comprised of the conference champions of Division one basketball, and then a bunch of top tier losers.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #25 on: March 16, 2011, 07:21:48 AM

That's been Bobby Knight's gripe for years.  The NCAA should be the 64 best teams, but they have the automatic bids for some reason.  I guess it's to give the smaller schools a chance to KO Mike Tyson, but for all the talk of parity the little guy still doesn't get anywhere.  The only slice of the pie they may get is a little bit of the money. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #26 on: March 16, 2011, 09:06:03 AM

Div 1 Basketball has like 350 teams. Div 1 football has 120.

If they wanted to change the tournament, they would have to admit than many basketball conferences aren't division 1.

WayAbvPar

Reply #27 on: March 16, 2011, 09:45:26 AM

Just did my first pass through of my brackets. Awfully chalky, but that has been the trend recently. Will do some more research and amend later (maybe).

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: March 16, 2011, 11:03:06 AM

If they wanted to change the tournament, they would have to admit than many basketball conferences aren't division 1.

Which would be a very good thing for the student athletes.  The demands placed on a Division I basketball or football player make it almost impossible to succeed as a student. 

-  Mark Twain
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #29 on: March 16, 2011, 11:35:37 AM

The universities have a serious quandary with this-  football and mens' basketball pays for almost every other sport at many schools and in some cases provides a very nice positive revenue stream.  Yet athletics in university settings is very much the antithesis of what it means to be scholarly.  Athletes often have no interest at all in an education, don't go to class, and put the university at risk by taking money from agents.  I love college football and basketball with a passion, but could not argue if they were to make them non-scholarship activities. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #30 on: March 16, 2011, 12:59:36 PM

That's less of a problem in basketball than it is in football.

The great NBA players don't come from nowhere schools like they do in football. They come from like 10 big programs:

UCLA 14, Duke 13, Kentucky 12, Kansas 11, UNC 10, Florida 10, Texas 10, Wake Forest 8, Ohio State 7, Georgia Tech 7

So like 25% of your league went to those schools. Some of the best players didn't even go to college before the rule started.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #31 on: March 16, 2011, 01:23:59 PM

Here's an interesting article on who came from where in the NBA.  It's weighted heavy, but there are still some players from the lower tier conferences. 

1 in 5 players are foreign or went straight from high school.  Roughly 80% were from the BCS conferences. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #32 on: March 16, 2011, 02:18:58 PM

Yep, telling these kids from Morehead State or UAB that they have a shot in the real tourney is stupid. However, as long as you still declare them Division 1, I support them being there.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #33 on: March 16, 2011, 05:08:48 PM

Yep, telling these kids from Morehead State or UAB that they have a shot in the real tourney is stupid. However, as long as you still declare them Division 1, I support them being there.

But apparently the NCAA doesn't-  you can't even really watch these play in games on television. 

You know I'm a sports elitist though.  I support the bowl system.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #34 on: March 16, 2011, 05:34:01 PM

The bowl system would be fine if they played every single team in their conference twice and a required 3 games in the big six conferences. It would be very easy to declare the top 2 teams at that rate. That's like 24 games though.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2011 NCAA Tournament Pickem Thread  
Jump to: