Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:33:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  RIFT  |  Topic: General Quick Questions Thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: General Quick Questions Thread  (Read 125394 times)
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #35 on: March 03, 2011, 12:10:16 AM

Either it ramps up post-20 or I'm doing it wrong!
ilyatha
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: March 03, 2011, 04:11:40 AM

It ramps up at a huge rate once out of the opening zone (Defiant here, so once you hit Stonefield). Assuming low-expenditure, you'll hit 8-10 plat by level 25, 15-20 by 30 and 25-30 by 35. At least that was my experience on beta and now live.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: March 03, 2011, 08:25:10 AM

Could someone give me a hand on setting up ACT for Rift? I downloaded it and the Rift plugin, got the plugin installed, but I'm not sure where to point it for the log files.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: March 03, 2011, 11:20:33 AM

Could someone give me a hand on setting up ACT for Rift? I downloaded it and the Rift plugin, got the plugin installed, but I'm not sure where to point it for the log files.

It's in the "About" tab.

Or you can use the parser from my website :)
http://www.riftjunkies.com/combat-parser/
It's a bit more user friendly, but not as powerful.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: March 03, 2011, 11:22:35 AM

I found it in ACT, what I can't find is my Rift log file.

Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: March 03, 2011, 12:26:05 PM

I found it in ACT, what I can't find is my Rift log file.

Assuming you enabled logging, it should in one of the game subfolders ([install path]/Rift Game).

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: March 03, 2011, 01:38:36 PM

Then you need to do a /combatlog in game.

Then initiate combat or something loggy and it'll appear in your main Rift directory.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: March 03, 2011, 06:55:47 PM

Ahh /combatlog, thanks.

Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: March 04, 2011, 12:37:19 PM

This is probably a really stupid question (or I screwed up)

- when I created a stormcaller, almost right away (level 2, 3?) I got another soul to add (I added Elementalist).
- when I created a Riftwalker, I'm already at level 5 and I only have the Riftwalker soul

Did I screw up, or do mages get their souls faster than Warriors?
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #44 on: March 04, 2011, 12:42:10 PM

You screwed up somewhere.  You usually get an additional soul around lvl 3.  That's unless you stood around grinding mobs in the very first area for a long time.   

I'm not sure you could even progress without doing that quest.

Head scratch

-Rasix
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: March 04, 2011, 12:43:56 PM

You screwed up. You should only have to do like 3 quests before you get your second soul. You probably forgot to talk to the second quest-giver at the very first quest "hub".

(fake edit: curse you, Rasix!)
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: March 04, 2011, 12:45:19 PM

Thanks!
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: March 04, 2011, 01:38:11 PM

This is probably a really stupid question (or I screwed up)

- when I created a stormcaller, almost right away (level 2, 3?) I got another soul to add (I added Elementalist).
- when I created a Riftwalker, I'm already at level 5 and I only have the Riftwalker soul

Did I screw up, or do mages get their souls faster than Warriors?

There is a bug I believe. My warrior came out of the tutorial zone with only two souls as well. You get one to start, one at the fountain, and one at the end with crazy dude before the rift. The fountain one was missing for my warrior, but both my rogues got it.
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: March 04, 2011, 02:03:29 PM

There is a bug I believe. My warrior came out of the tutorial zone with only two souls as well. You get one to start, one at the fountain, and one at the end with crazy dude before the rift. The fountain one was missing for my warrior, but both my rogues got it.

Something is definitely going on because this happened to me once through as well and I reported it in game as a bug until I went all the way back to the starting area and found I'd missed a quest.

It appears that either:

1. The quests to kill 6 corrupted knights (Knights of Aedraxis) offers the 2nd soul as a reward and it doesn't appear right away when it should. So you take the other quest (Steel Reckoning -- collect 4 imbued swords) and may think you also have the quest that gives the soul but you don't, so you even though you kill the 6 knights, you don't get offered the second soul reward by Shyla at Thontic Fountain.

OR

2. You pick up both quests but there is a bug that wipes the Knights of Aedraxis quest from your quest log somewhere along the way.

But I have run it several times since that happened and never seen the issue again. So I chalked up my experience of this "missing soul" to my own carelessness/mistake. I have run that starter area so many times now that I think it's possible I *thought* I picked up the quest when in fact I didn't.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: March 04, 2011, 07:24:31 PM

Does anyone know what level the various puzzles scale to? I know Freemarch stops at 20, and I think Stonefield is 25 or 30 (I did this one early because I didn't realize they scale) but ideally I'd like to do the rest at the cap so I get the most valuable item possible.

Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: March 04, 2011, 10:14:55 PM

Where are these puzzles found?  I have not heard about puzzles...

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: March 04, 2011, 10:22:49 PM

There's one in every zone, they give a random blue or purple reward which scales up to a certain level. Draegan's site has some nice videos for some of them: http://www.riftjunkies.com/tag/puzzle/

Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: March 05, 2011, 10:25:05 AM

[snip]So I chalked up my experience of this "missing soul" to my own carelessness/mistake. [snip]

I think it's likely that I missed it due to carelessness, as I was talking to work while running through that area.  Going back and doing the quest gives you the soul, so no permanent harm.

Another stupid question - what do artifacts do?  Why do I want to apply them to "a set"?  Should I save them, or use them willy-nilly?
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: March 05, 2011, 11:28:24 AM

Use them as soon as you get them.  Finishing a set and turning it in gives you a lucky coin, you can spend them on non combat pets and i think an epic turtle mount and funny hats with no stats.  You'll get repeats too, send them to alts or try to sell them.

I am the .00000001428%
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: March 08, 2011, 12:10:34 PM

Those 'consumable' rift-affecting items (wardstone upgrade, anti-planar buffs, pocket soulhealer, etc)? They're only 'consumable' in the same way that recipe scrolls are consumable - you use them once to learn the ability, and then the original item evaporates.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: March 08, 2011, 05:14:42 PM

So, where is the stripper angel that lets you unlock more soul options? And what level do you have be for it?

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: March 08, 2011, 05:51:58 PM

Soul quests unlock at level 13 and are located throughout the main city (exception: Guardian mages are in Quicksilver College, not Sanctum). To do the quests,
1) Close any rift (doesn't have to be Death).
2) Collect planar loot.
3) Use the quest item you got when you started the quest (not the one you just looted).
4) Kill the dude.
I spell this out because the quest text is really unclear and people are constantly asking in broadcast how to do it.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: March 08, 2011, 06:38:36 PM

Its not that bad anymore, now the item you have to click is on the quest tracker just like every other quest so its fairly straighforward.

I am the .00000001428%
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #58 on: March 09, 2011, 05:20:51 PM

Anyone have a general PvE Elementalist/Pyromancer/X build?

I'm having a hard time finding the synergy sweet spot with the two.  All of the first tier points in pyro are to up fireball, yet elementalists would want to spend their first five in buffing Crystalline Missile. 
ilyatha
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: March 10, 2011, 04:25:28 AM

Does anyone know what level the various puzzles scale to? I know Freemarch stops at 20, and I think Stonefield is 25 or 30 (I did this one early because I didn't realize they scale) but ideally I'd like to do the rest at the cap so I get the most valuable item possible.

http://www.kfguides.com/rift/puzzlesguide.php

Warning: That site also spoils how to do them (some explanations better than others).

Just in case you don't want spoilers, here's the level caps for puzzles/cairns in each zone:

Freemarch/Silverwood - 30
Stonefield/Gloamwood/Scarlet Gorge - 35
Scarwood Reach - 40
Moonshade Highlands/Droughtlands - 45
Iron Pine Peaks/Stillmoor - 50

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: March 10, 2011, 06:34:50 AM

Being obtuse here mostly because I don't want to spoil myself, but is it recommended that they are done at cap for maximum item quality?  I'm trying to keep the mystery without gimping myself, if that's possible...
Ice Cream Emperor
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: March 10, 2011, 07:15:26 AM

I mostly just want to know where the puzzles are, without having their actual puzzly-ness spoilt. I am also curious about the caps -- is that a cap on the reward, or can you actually not do the puzzles if you have exceeded that level? (Producing an insurmountable gap in my hypothetically one day perfect Achievement record!)
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: March 10, 2011, 08:43:59 AM

The cap is on the rewards, that is the maximum level the reward will be.  Just look up the puzzles on youtube, usually the first minute or two are showing you were to find them.

I am the .00000001428%
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: March 10, 2011, 10:05:35 AM

Thanks, that's perfect. 
Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #64 on: March 10, 2011, 10:14:53 AM

Anyone have a general PvE Elementalist/Pyromancer/X build?

I'm having a hard time finding the synergy sweet spot with the two.  All of the first tier points in pyro are to up fireball, yet elementalists would want to spend their first five in buffing Crystalline Missile. 

In my opinion, I'd focus on one soul for nuking, then pad out with your second soul putting points in either utility, or stuff that applies to everything (eg. crit chance for elementalist). Pyro isn't great for flexibility, so I'm not sure it makes for a good second/third soul - there is very little there in the early points that applies to other souls.

Buff up your pyro nukes, then aim for elementalist picks that improve the pet, or generic mage improvements.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: March 10, 2011, 11:16:22 AM

Puzzle Locations:

Ice Cream Emperor
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: March 10, 2011, 07:49:22 PM

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: March 11, 2011, 07:33:35 AM

We made a visual for you.  Spoiler for size.

Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: March 11, 2011, 07:47:23 AM

That's awesome, you rock!

Dumb Question: what is a cairn?

Question: in Gloamwood there is a spider cave near DD that has artifacts up above.  There is a lower one that was pretty easy to get, but I could see two more that I couldn't figure out.  Anyone figure out how to get up above?

Edit: Goamwood doesn't exist, Gloamwood does!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 08:54:46 AM by Typhon »
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: March 11, 2011, 07:54:30 AM

Cairn is a little treasure trove.  Open it up and get a chance at a level appropriate blue/purple.  Each cairn has a level limit to it so you won't get an item over that level.

All you have to do is get to them.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  RIFT  |  Topic: General Quick Questions Thread  
Jump to: