Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:24:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  RIFT  |  Topic: Gripes, complaints and irritations. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gripes, complaints and irritations.  (Read 250667 times)
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #560 on: May 06, 2011, 12:38:15 PM

I think both types of content have it's place.  Just shouldn't be mandatory.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #561 on: May 06, 2011, 12:40:12 PM

You could just send them all to one char.

I have spent probably 10 platinum (at least) compulsively mailing artifacts between my 4 alts. More importantly, I have spent hours managing the aforementioned mailbox madness. This is simply a failure of game design. If artifacts are tradeable, then obviously they expect people with alts to do what I am doing -- and what I am doing is stupid and frustrating and makes me want to stop collecting artifacts. If artifacts were bind on pickup then this would merely be a weird design choice (compared to having them be account-wide collections) -- but when they are tradeable, there is no excuse. The designers have specifically chosen to encourage players to perform incredibly tedious micromanagement in order to maximize the feeling of reward from what should be a fun, breezy, as-you-go-along activity.

EQ2 had some bank slots that were accessible to all characters on an account. It has been done before and sounds like it should be replicated.

Hell, it was in Aion of all games..

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #562 on: May 06, 2011, 02:40:31 PM

Why is that? everyone can use macros, there is no have nots.
A friend is playing with Vu.  They reached the 40s recently, and it wasn't until yesterday that Vu walked her through making her first macro.

Some people don't even think about the idea of making macros.  Each ability has a button.  The game is about pressing buttons.  It doesn't occur to them to combine button presses.

Because its unintuitive. The last few games that have "too many buttons" for "too few fingers" to be pressed in any sort of order quickly were "old school pc rpg's", "pre-starcraft rts's" , and now most mmo's since Ultima Online. Now of the three genres I listed which of them are "main stream" to an audience that regularly switches between playing consoles and farmville?

My two cents, if your game can be "macro'ed down" to 2 buttons, someone wasted a lot of time developing "skills".
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #563 on: May 06, 2011, 06:05:34 PM

You use too many quotation marks.
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #564 on: May 06, 2011, 08:56:42 PM

Why is that? everyone can use macros, there is no have nots.
A friend is playing with Vu.  They reached the 40s recently, and it wasn't until yesterday that Vu walked her through making her first macro.

Some people don't even think about the idea of making macros.  Each ability has a button.  The game is about pressing buttons.  It doesn't occur to them to combine button presses.

Because its unintuitive. The last few games that have "too many buttons" for "too few fingers" to be pressed in any sort of order quickly were "old school pc rpg's", "pre-starcraft rts's" , and now most mmo's since Ultima Online. Now of the three genres I listed which of them are "main stream" to an audience that regularly switches between playing consoles and farmville?

My two cents, if your game can be "macro'ed down" to 2 buttons, someone wasted a lot of time developing "skills".
Some abilities are fine to be able to macro.  An ability that does more damage but is available every X seconds, and is in all other respects identical to your baseline ability, is one that you pretty much always want to hit when it's up.  This is something that needs to be macroable - hit the cooldown ability if it's off cooldown, otherwise hit baseline ability.  On very rare, very specific occasions - primarily involving highly coordinated pvp - you might want to save the cooldown ability so you can do a little more damage on a burst, but under normal circumstances, you want to hit it every time it's up.  Theoretically, you could ignore that very rare case and simply adjust the baseline ability to always do a little more damage, or to have a chance to proc additional damage, or simply to build up X number of charges, then the next time it's used, blow the charges for additional damage.  All of it serves the same purpose as having another ability that does the same thing with a longer cooldown, in the end.

Still, saying the game can be macroed down to two buttons is often an exaggeration.  There may be a couple classes for which that's true, but most of them have different abilities that aren't a simple priority list, with A always being better than B, which is always better than C, and so on.  If I have 4-6 distinct buttons I want to press in an average combat situation, that's excellent.  If I have another 6 buttons that are situational, that's fine.  If I start having more than that it might be a problem.  The 'priority list' setup is, I think, the worst way to do it because it brings combat down to a matter of watching cooldowns and pressing whichever is the optimal button that's not on cooldown.  But at least if it can be macroed, it's not a major gameplay hindrance.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #565 on: May 10, 2011, 10:08:49 PM

I think the devs kind of went overboard with the CC nerf in the latest patch, especially putting every single CC on the same DR. It was pretty stupid to get chain-CC'd before with zero effort on the enemy's part, but now you / your team can make an entire opposing team CC-immune in seconds by just using some passive abilities (or abilities that have a 2-second "cc" as a side effect, like warrior charge, dusk to dawn, ...). Unless everyone avoids using those abilities AND there's some coordination over voice chat (ie premades), have fun being unable to peel enemy DPSers or setting up burst windows. Just do pve dps rotations on the enemy and win/lose!

Combine this with the built-in short cooldown CC breakers in some souls and the 2-min cc breaker in the pvp soul that also gives a 5-second immunity to all CC now... good times. It also makes me feel hilariously overpowered when playing my healer cleric.  awesome, for real

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #566 on: May 11, 2011, 05:41:19 AM

It makes riftstalker flag runners unstoppable.

I am the .00000001428%
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #567 on: May 18, 2011, 09:47:14 AM

I'm still pissed the badass one weapon pointing up one weapon pointing down combat pose is female only.

I am the .00000001428%
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #568 on: May 18, 2011, 10:24:44 AM

There has to be a better difficulty between "fucking easy" and "squashed me into paste".  They could make the hunting targets in Scarwood Reach just a bit easier without making them as trivial as most regular "kill this target" quests.  This kind of content is just maddening in underpopulated leveling zones (especially late in the evening).

-Rasix
Flinky
Terracotta Army

Reply #569 on: May 18, 2011, 12:39:10 PM

Seven out of twelve fucking iron nodes returning A Worn Pickaxe instead of ore after completing the associated quest. I want iron, not an item that has absolutely no use to me anymore.

Why is the goddamn thing still in my loot table? For that matter, why do I have to keep clearing some quest-starting cloth item out of my inventory every 5 minutes when I clearly don't care enough about linen to be an Outfitter in the first place?

Proud member of the Gnome Brigade.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #570 on: May 18, 2011, 01:22:22 PM

Seven out of twelve fucking iron nodes returning A Worn Pickaxe instead of ore after completing the associated quest. I want iron, not an item that has absolutely no use to me anymore.

Why is the goddamn thing still in my loot table? For that matter, why do I have to keep clearing some quest-starting cloth item out of my inventory every 5 minutes when I clearly don't care enough about linen to be an Outfitter in the first place?

A dodgy work around to that is to save all those crafting quest drops (the ones that do not pertain to you) and throw them in your bank. That is the only way to flag it in your loot as "already have one, stop fucking bothering me with any more of this."

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #571 on: May 19, 2011, 06:55:51 AM

I'm still pissed the badass one weapon pointing up one weapon pointing down combat pose is female only.

All around the female animations, etc. are better.  I lvl'ed one to around 9 with a separate male one when I did the free trial and noticed the difference right away.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #572 on: May 20, 2011, 06:06:20 AM

I love my male bahmi idle animations.
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #573 on: June 18, 2011, 06:45:47 PM

The more I play the more annoyed I get with the the UI and particularly the map.

Mousing over buffs and things shows tooltips occasionally, but then they disappear and you need to remouse over them. The tooltip anchor is frequently only a suggestion. Clickable UI elements are not always clickable. This one is most noticeable in WFs. If someone in the raid is stealthed, they aren't clickable from the raid UI. Somethings are not editable from the Layout menu. Namely floating tooltips and the quest box. I'm getting older and my eyes are getting worse. I would really like to resize the font in those things. Instead I am stuck with this teeny tiny font. The waiting for resurection box in WFs blocks everything and is unmoveable.

On to the map. Why are there lines to peoples way points? In WFs why do people not always show up? In Whitefall, why does the FC not always show up on the map? Why to base markers block names near them? For that matter, why are base markers the only things in the whole game that does not require precision mousing? Those things throw up a tooltip from comparatively miles away?

Back to fonts, why is there no reason to modify the floating combat text? It's way too small, on big things it's anchored above their head so you frequently have no feedback about what's going on.

They are all little things, but so much is so right that these sorts of problems get really annoying.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #574 on: June 22, 2011, 12:20:31 PM

MMOs need to get rid of group only quests for leveling content.  If you want to stick a big bad killer mob out there, do so.  But don't have it gate my quests.  Give us an achievement or something for killing it.

I'm not against having hard quests.  I think MMO leveling could have a bit more difficulty, but elite mob nonsense is just bullshit.

The quests can give you quest credit for watching an elite mob be killed by someone else and then I like your idea for achievements for making the actual kill.

I have never played WoW.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #575 on: June 22, 2011, 02:12:36 PM

Why are the freaking servers still down!

I am the .00000001428%
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #576 on: June 22, 2011, 03:29:04 PM

Should be unlocking now.

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?211878-**-Incoming-Downtime-for-NA-Shards-1.3-Update-8-00am-PDT-6-22-11-**/page3
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #577 on: July 01, 2011, 09:56:00 PM

I see someone was already bitching about the lack of a shared bank and the high cost (in time and money) of using the mail system between characters. It fucking blows, I want to get my craftard on, but the obnoxious lack of sharing inventory between characters is really getting to me. This dev team seems to really hate EQ2, ironically.

I'm also about to puke from leveling up lowbies on the exact same quests EVERY DAMNED TIME. No amount of zone/world events can remove that suck.

Try explaining dailies to a non-gamer some time. Or why you're running the exact same leveling quests with a different character. It provides an interesting insight imo.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #578 on: July 03, 2011, 09:39:18 PM

I just got my second character to 50, the only way I could stomach the repeat content was to avoid most of the last 15 levels worth of quests. I just stuck to dungeons only after my rest exp had recharged.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #579 on: July 05, 2011, 08:16:34 AM

It's not that they hate EQ2, it's that they ignored it. The decision was handed down from on high on tablets of stone that they would make a game exactly like WoW except for a few key new parts (rifts, souls).  I assume this was to reduce development costs since copying shit verbatim is a hell of a lot easier than choosing the best aspects from all  pre-existing works then putting in the considerable effort required to integrate them properly into a seamless and self-consistent whole.  Of course, that is exactly what WoW did and why it succeeded beyond anyone's wildest dreams.  Rift settled for mimicing 80% of WoW, even on systems where there are far better examples than WoW's implementation and that is probably the single biggest reason its success is much more limited.

Which is sad for many reasons, not the least of which being that they left a lot of money on the table in the form of past and current WoW players who left WoW for very specific shortcomings, but found those exact same shortcomings cloned into Rift.

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #580 on: July 05, 2011, 09:08:22 AM

Of the EQ2/WoW differences, the five person group and not grouping between sides stands out as the worst decisions.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Rasix

Reply #581 on: July 05, 2011, 09:20:03 AM

I would like the option to group with Defiants.  I think the impending death of the world might make that something we could work out.

Now that I'm on a higher pop server, some of my gripes with the game are becoming less prevalent.  Scarwood Reach is still a bucket of ass and you stay in the zone forever.

The wardrobe keeps me out of some pretty hilarious and scandalous clown suits.  This game really punishes you for going mangina.  The latest chain "leggings" I got were nothing more than a bikini bottom.

-Rasix
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #582 on: July 05, 2011, 09:24:31 AM

Something I haven't figured out yet...how does a zone-wide event work on a PvP server?  Assuming at least 50% of the people that show up to the boss will AoE spam crap, how does an event ever get done?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #583 on: July 05, 2011, 09:39:34 AM

The wardrobe keeps me out of some pretty hilarious and scandalous clown suits.  This game really punishes you for going mangina.  The latest chain "leggings" I got were nothing more than a bikini bottom.
By punish....you mean reward, right? Because my elfy rogue looooves her some bikini bottoms.

I do concede Phred's point about available grouping. I've found tons of groups for current content (the world event, rifts) but could only dig up one guy last night for the regular run of IT, and even he bailed after five minutes. The LFG tool sucks, imo. Another thing done much better by others.

The Count is 100% correct imo, they wanted, literally, WoW + rifts and souls. And as someone who doesn't like WoW, but does like a couple other mmos, it's painfully obvious. My "favorite" dev quote was 'Why re-invent the wheel?" Because the racing tire has been invented and you can stop using the wagon wheel, dammit.
Rasix

Reply #584 on: July 05, 2011, 09:52:26 AM

Something I haven't figured out yet...how does a zone-wide event work on a PvP server?  Assuming at least 50% of the people that show up to the boss will AoE spam crap, how does an event ever get done?

Very carefully.   awesome, for real Reminds me that I need to set up a DPS macro sans AE.  Even on a PVE server, you get Defiants and Guardians tip-toeing around each other.  Certain players just see it as time to get some easy kills.   I'll admit to stomping a Defiant or two if they initiate the action.

The wardrobe keeps me out of some pretty hilarious and scandalous clown suits.  This game really punishes you for going mangina.  The latest chain "leggings" I got were nothing more than a bikini bottom.
By punish....you mean reward, right? Because my elfy rogue looooves her some bikini bottoms.

I'm a very modest MMO-woman.  awesome, for real  My elf (YETCH, should have gone Matho again) cleric is currently wearing a full length chainmail dress with a high neckline.  The "I can't see with the blast shield down" costume helm (yay event drop) works rather well with the outfit.  Matronly, yet deadly.

I'm not sure Rift should have gone more towards EQ2, because I really could never get into the game.  It's currently working for me (no surprise, I'd be playing WoW right now if Cata wasn't such a fuckup) as I've got 6.5 days of playtime sunk in and 3 characters 30 or higher.  Still wish they would have taken more chances and done a few more things differently. There's a feeling I get when playing that this game was really close to being something fantastic merely than just "good".

-Rasix
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #585 on: July 05, 2011, 10:07:10 AM

Something I haven't figured out yet...how does a zone-wide event work on a PvP server?  Assuming at least 50% of the people that show up to the boss will AoE spam crap, how does an event ever get done?

Melee are usually AoEd a ton, you have to learn to back off when low.  As soon as the boss drops it turns into one giant free for all.  Quite fun actually.

I am the .00000001428%
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #586 on: July 05, 2011, 11:11:58 AM

The "I can't see with the blast shield down" costume helm (yay event drop) works rather well with the outfit.  
I always felt clerics got the best helmets. Didn't see the top-tier raid stuff, obviously.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #587 on: July 05, 2011, 12:06:05 PM

Clerics have the best gear visuals hands down.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #588 on: July 05, 2011, 02:01:32 PM

I 50% agree with the LFD complaint, in that I think we all agree on ultimate solution.  The system works beautifully in getting players together, when there's actually players playing and using the system.  If this server transfer thing doesn't pan out as well as they hope (and we expect), we need server merges.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #589 on: July 05, 2011, 02:12:43 PM

My giant goon of an elf cleric is wearing a giant chainmail dress and I love it. I hate 90% of the lady armor I have come across though, but the wardrobe function makes it so it's not as big a deal.

God Save the Horn Players
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #590 on: July 05, 2011, 06:35:12 PM

My cleric had a very brief shirt and no pants for a bit in the late 40s. It was not a happy time.
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #591 on: July 05, 2011, 07:25:14 PM

There are a lot of things EQ2 did better than WoW that Rift ignored.

Mentoring, Broker vs Auction House, shared storage, guild storage, crafting, appearance gear, global chat channels, unrestricted interaction between factions, gray mobs aren't aggro, a little more ability to wander off the tracks, inventory constraints, and most everything about the UI are examples off the top of my head.  I think there were a few more really annoying things in Rift but I haven't played in months now and some of the annoying shit is thankfully starting to fade from memory.

As I said, I and many others left WoW for very specific reasons.  Finding those exact same reasons deliberately cloned back into Rift with no improvement whatsoever combined with the prohibition against third-party UI's which ameliorated some of WoW's defects was a rude shock.  Given Hartsman's record at EQ2 I expected better from him, but perhaps his hands were tied by the need to sell "WoW clone = money hats" to the investors.  I suppose being CEO and ultimately responsible for many employees and millions of dollars makes you more conservative, but overall I liked his work when he was a rebel at SOE better than his results as The Man with Rift.  Or maybe I'm giving him too much credit for the improvements made in EQ2 during his tenure there.

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #592 on: July 06, 2011, 05:12:49 AM

Clerics have the best gear visuals hands down.

As a male rogue I want to kill their designer.  The PvP sets all look like ass and Ive looked at every piece of gear on Auction to try and put together a better looking set and it all sucks.  Helmets, chest, shoulders...all of it.  Most of the helmets and shoulder pieces I would be embarrassed to wear, Id rather not and get stabbed in the neck... at least my corpse wouldnt look like a total newb. 
waylander
Terracotta Army

Reply #593 on: July 06, 2011, 07:32:03 AM

I don't like the increase in cost they made to the planar essences in the capital cities, and the increase in cost for the T2 plaque gear.  I also don't think Raid Rifts drop near enough loot considering they are a gear bridge to T3 content, and I think they should drop as much gear as the average T2 dungeon run.

I actually like the 10 man content, but I think we waste entirely too much time on trash clearing for the 20 man raids.

I also agree that the level by questing system is horribly boring, and I cannot stand to level alt characters due to having to repeat all the Kill/Collect tasks level after level.

Lords of the Dead
Gaming Press - Retired
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #594 on: July 06, 2011, 07:59:34 AM

From today's hotfix:

Quote from: Trion
GENERAL
* Your characters will no longer be exposed to Exposed from NPCs. That's right - no more stacking snare when trying to run through mobs!

How long'd that take?
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 21 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  RIFT  |  Topic: Gripes, complaints and irritations.  
Jump to: