Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:36:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  RIFT  |  Topic: Gripes, complaints and irritations. 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gripes, complaints and irritations.  (Read 250704 times)
Ice Cream Emperor
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: March 04, 2011, 05:49:10 PM

Because nothing could ever go wrong if players had unlimited inventories.

I am open to suggestions as to what could go wrong that could not be trivially fixed in design or implementation of a system that nonetheless eliminates the stupidest message in MMOdom: 'your inventory is full.' If you suggest enough serious problems that the fixes result in something even remotely 1% as stupid as the inventory management on any MMO I have ever played I will be profoundly impressed.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #106 on: March 04, 2011, 06:08:04 PM

What could possibly go wrong with giving your players an infinite data structure.

-Rasix
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #107 on: March 04, 2011, 06:47:46 PM

I was actually doing pretty well with Pyromancer main (with some points in StormCaller -- the slow/pushback specials were handy) up through lv13 or 14.  Adds were often deadly, but otherwise I got by fine.

Then I started doing the additional soul quests and have been doing Necromancer/Stormcaller through lv17 and have found myself surviving situations where I pick up 2-4 additional critters from time to time.  Every now and again I need to use a healing item to bridge a tricky moment in combat, but I find myself dying relatively infrequently if I maintain some situational awareness.

I could stand to lose the reds that aggro you while you're walking on the roads, but I actually like that combat is not entirely risk free.  WoW used to drive my crazy with how "easy mode" it always seemed.

What's running quests with groups like?  How does XP sharing in groups work?

I've been solo except for invasion stuff which I jump into all the time.

Also, the artifacts collection stuff is insanely addictive.
Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: March 04, 2011, 07:51:26 PM

Gripe-  My female dwarf doesn't have any neutral casting animations (for crafting or summoning a mount).  Or idle animations (like stretching).  And when she feigns death she doesn't drop to the ground she just stands there completely still  swamp poop.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: March 04, 2011, 07:52:33 PM

The dwarves are known for their stoicism, especially the female dwarves.  Working As Intended.  Will Not Fix.
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: March 04, 2011, 10:05:15 PM

What could possibly go wrong with giving your players an infinite data structure.
It's still limited by the total number of items that exist in the game.  No one will ever actually get all possible items, but all you have to do is make sure the inventory system can handle a player possessing every single item that exists in the game, and you're good.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: March 04, 2011, 10:17:35 PM

You mean make sure it can handle every player possessing infinite quantities of every single item that exists.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: March 04, 2011, 10:56:18 PM

This system doesn't have to be pushed to extremes either. Make it so that a toon can have, lets say, 500 unique slots, that is multiple pieces of the same item stack, and everything picked up after that get automatically sold for face value. If assholes are pushing that boundary and complaining, well come on now, that's a bit much.

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: March 04, 2011, 11:01:36 PM

Except that now all you're arguing for is bigger bags; having some weird auto-vendor after X slots is counter-intuitive. If you're going to go that route, remove trash loot and go back to wolves dropping gold.

Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: March 04, 2011, 11:27:03 PM

Effectively infinite is probably entirely doable, but it's not really necessary.  I wouldn't say 500 is anywhere near enough, though.  But say, 5,000 or 10,000?  It is unlikely any reasonable player will ever hit a cap like that.  That's why I said in an earlier post that a cap on it might be put on in case of technical problems, but it should be made higher than any player is ever expected to reach.

Also, limited 'stacks' of materials should go away.  Anything should be stackable (it's just an additional number in the entry instead of an entirely separate entry) and anything that stacks should cap at some high number.  Hey, maybe 32000 works, since I know it's related to a certain size of data storage unit somehow and that's why EQ HP couldn't go above 32k until Velious when they changed the size of the data storage unit or whatever.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: March 04, 2011, 11:49:42 PM

I'm not going to keep arguing, this is just a nonissue for me; but then, I don't even mind playing loot tetris in games like D2.

Ice Cream Emperor
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: March 05, 2011, 12:43:07 AM

Oh damn, you got me. I guess we'll have to cap it at 24 bank slots after all, just to be safe. We'll let players buy 8 more though, so I guess 32 is okay. But that's definitely the maximum. It's either 32 or infinity.
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: March 05, 2011, 05:42:59 AM

In warfronts there is no way to kick or easily report afkers.  There is no role balancing in the warfront queues either, its not rare for me to join a black garden with no healers.
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: March 05, 2011, 08:33:25 AM

In warfronts there is no way to kick or easily report afkers.  There is no role balancing in the warfront queues either, its not rare for me to join a black garden with no healers.
This is more of a player problem than a game problem.  3 out of 4 classes in this game are capable of healing.  I don't think I've ever seen the warfront queue give us all warriors.  So, there should never, ever be a time when someone doesn't look at the group and go 'hm, no healer' and hit their role switch button and switch over to something that can heal.

Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: March 05, 2011, 08:50:48 AM

Also to report an afker in warfronts target and type /report. Not sure how much good it does but you it does report them.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #120 on: March 05, 2011, 11:30:06 AM

Import settings only works within the specific shard...  Ohhhhh, I see.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: March 05, 2011, 12:22:34 PM

Warfront annoyance: when you port back to the game world after a match, it returns you to where you were when the queue accept appeared, NOT where you were when you hit accept/enter.

So if you think "huh, I should move out of the middle of this spawn I was clearing for a quest and then enter the match".. SURPRISE!
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: March 05, 2011, 02:40:02 PM

Import settings only works within the specific shard...  Ohhhhh, I see.
/exportui {name}
/importui {name}
/exportkeybindings {name}
/importkeybindings {name}
Someone posted this elsewhere, but it's worth repeating.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: March 05, 2011, 07:30:56 PM

In the 40s I'm starting to have the WAR T3 problem where there aren't enough quests for any given level; I did most of the level 40-42 quests in IPP just to ding 41, and once I run out of 43s I'm probably going to have to move to another zone because I can't readily handle level 3+ mobs. I'm not sure if the quests are more sparse/worth less % XP, or if it's that I'm doing almost only questing because BGs and dungeons are less readily available.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #124 on: March 05, 2011, 07:35:38 PM

Are you rifting?  I'm nowhere near those levels because I'm running a bunch of alts, but I find that if I don't participate in rifts I lag behind.  A lot. 
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: March 05, 2011, 08:01:07 PM

I do Rifts and Invasions when they occur on the path of my quests, but as I've said they don't pop very often in the higher zones (due to population) and they're almost always minor.

kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: March 05, 2011, 09:44:39 PM

The XP curve seems to assume you're doing instances. I was way behind, did a random KB group, and it shot me up a level and put me where I was supposed to be again.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: March 05, 2011, 11:14:31 PM

That sounds about right; I was doing OK when I could find dungeon groups but I haven't seen one that needs DPS in ~5 levels.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: March 06, 2011, 07:10:59 AM

I try to do every dungeon at least once, the first time quest rewards are usually worth it.

I am the .00000001428%
snowwy
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: March 06, 2011, 01:21:57 PM

I know i'm stupid, but i can't for the life of me get the Rift-meter to stay in the spot i choose. Edit layout- move around-save......and the next time it pops up it's back to where i moved it from
Starting to piss me right off. Scroll of Intelligence should apply IRL  Ohhhhh, I see.  So what obvious thing am i missing?
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: March 06, 2011, 01:46:13 PM

Having played guardian now to 20 and defiant to 30 all I can say is anyone playing defiant got shafted when it comes to ease of questing, ravel and convenience. It seems like the people who designed the defiant side just said 'fuck it' at some point.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #131 on: March 06, 2011, 01:57:38 PM

That's interesting, because I was just about to post the exact opposite. 

Guardian first zone layout is circular and interesting flow-wise, but it really seems all over the place with questing.  There's no obvious story going on, other than the Aelfwar stuff, but it's not like the Defiant story that smacked me in the face with big STORY listed quests.  To me, the defiant side ultimately seems more fleshed out. 
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #132 on: March 06, 2011, 02:02:13 PM

Fuck that grass over there being all green and shit.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: March 06, 2011, 02:06:34 PM

Fuck that grass over there being all green and shit.

We are talking about two diff things. Hell the quests themselves defiant side might be great works of literature but having to run all over the goddamned countryside to do things like turn in crafting quests is fucking weak. Guardian side? you just hop in the portal and you're there.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #134 on: March 06, 2011, 02:14:52 PM

Don't worry, they change this starting at Gloamwood.  You have to run that twisty zone like it was the Barrens.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: March 06, 2011, 09:08:23 PM

I know i'm stupid, but i can't for the life of me get the Rift-meter to stay in the spot i choose. Edit layout- move around-save......and the next time it pops up it's back to where i moved it from
Starting to piss me right off. Scroll of Intelligence should apply IRL  Ohhhhh, I see.  So what obvious thing am i missing?

I had similar problems with pet/party windows saving layouts in the Beta. Only way I found to remedy it was to be in that state (with pet summoned or in a party) when I moved the state specific frames around as it did not seem to save the states properly when using placeholders.

I did not buy the game, or play in the later betas, so I do not know if they resolved that.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: March 06, 2011, 09:12:09 PM

After playing for a week, I see what people are saying about mob density and spawn rates. HOLY FUCKING SHIT, making level 3 mobs agro you, do triple damage, stack roots and slows on you, WHEN YOU ARE FUCKING LEVEL 25, then four more SPAWN RIGHT ON TOP OF YOU, is retarded. It's a level of retarded that has surpassed every "feature" since the invention of vieo games. It's not realistic, it's not fun, it adds nothing to the game, and it solves nothing.

It's ONLY a case of developers being dicks.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: March 06, 2011, 10:14:13 PM

Gloamwood seems to be much better about keeping aggressive critters back a reasonable distance from the roads, except for the damned forest of spiders area.  Silverwood is just obnoxious as far as having to dodge monsters while going to and from places.

I really don't understand the stacking damage penalty for fleeing.  That just makes no sense to me as a game mechanic.

That said, still having fun.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: March 06, 2011, 10:17:39 PM

Wait until you get to higher levels like Scarwood or Moonshade where there are roaming aggro mobs on the FUCKING ROADS!  Mob

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #139 on: March 07, 2011, 02:34:43 AM

Wait until you get to higher levels like Scarwood or Moonshade where there are roaming aggro mobs on the FUCKING ROADS!  Mob

Droughtlands the mobs actually patrol the roads... Ohhhhh, I see.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  RIFT  |  Topic: Gripes, complaints and irritations.  
Jump to: