Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:24:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  RIFT  |  Topic: Gripes, complaints and irritations. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gripes, complaints and irritations.  (Read 250679 times)
Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: March 03, 2011, 06:05:25 PM

I'd give my left nut for Trion to give at least one mage soul an invisibility spell.  Even if it took 20 points I'd save a role slot just to travel with it.  Mob density, aggro radius, and respawn rate is ridiculous in this game (for the non-rift stuff, I love the invasions and can't get enough of them).

As a mage you can't get anywhere in this game without a pet up.

Other than that I do enjoy the game.  But it sometimes feels too claustrophobic and I can't take a breath and enjoy the view.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: March 03, 2011, 07:17:27 PM

How is that a complaint Cadaverine?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: March 03, 2011, 09:07:59 PM

Well they did turn runecrafting off and i couldn't do my faily.

I am the .00000001428%
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: March 03, 2011, 09:08:18 PM

Well they did turn runecrafting off and i couldn't do my faily.

I will stand by my typo.

I am the .00000001428%
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: March 03, 2011, 09:53:05 PM

Yea, that sucks. I bitched about it in the crafting thread here, and there are a million posts on the official forums about it. Hope they fix it soon, I have like 50 greens chilling in my mailbox or on my low level alt (now mule) because of it.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #75 on: March 03, 2011, 10:16:44 PM

But it sometimes feels too claustrophobic and I can't take a breath and enjoy the view.

I get this too, sometimes.  The fact that grey con mobs aggro doesn't help.  I'd even be okay if riftspawn grey cons had aggro, just so the world mobs don't.  I never get the feeling as if I can actually look around and explore without something attacking me. 
Ice Cream Emperor
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: March 04, 2011, 12:18:12 AM

I installed the game and it told me my video driver was out of date. After a few hours playing I took a break, and when I came back to my computer I decided to install the latest Nvidia drivers.

Now the game will not load, and crashes out with a Direct3D error. So happy I followed their recommendation on that one. Guess it's a good thing I know how to roll back video drivers.

Edit: I am a fool. Fixed.

On to proper gripes about the game:

* Coming from Aion (well, not directly, but that was the last MMO I played), the character customization and general appearance of the characters is pretty damn awful. Straight up ugly, few options, washed-out colours, and how fucking hard is it to notice that your character model's head is too small for its body? Hearing that there is no in-game ability to manage gear appearance independently from gear stats just makes me cringe even more.
* Not really RIFT-specific but fuck inventory management. Just fuck it completely, I do not need bags and I do not need banks and I certainly do not need to run out of space, ever. A tedious idea that should have been kicked to the curb years ago.
* Barely scratched the surface admittedly but so far the Guardian writing and voice-acting for cutscenes, etc. is 97% terrible.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 12:31:16 AM by Ice Cream Emperor »
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #77 on: March 04, 2011, 12:44:05 AM

I'm still having a blast!  But goddammit I'm out of bagspace.  Where can I get some greater-than-eight-slot bags on the cheap?
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: March 04, 2011, 01:51:28 AM

It was meant as a response to Nebu's wondering how well Trion would deal with exploits, and such.  I just forgot the bit about quoting him, so that what I said made sense to anyone other than myself.  embarassed

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: March 04, 2011, 02:40:47 AM

I'm still having a blast!  But goddammit I'm out of bagspace.  Where can I get some greater-than-eight-slot bags on the cheap?
A lot of bags are being sold for below materials cost, either from people who are all "durr, I farmed it so it's free!" or from people using bags to level up the tradeskill (stupidly, cause they take more materials than other things).  Check the prices of materials and the prices of the bags and see if the bags on sale are a good deal - they probably are.

This runebreaking being disabled is really starting to piss me off though.  I don't know what this "exploit" they turned it off for is about, but at the moment I am doubting it would have a larger negative effect on gameplay than turning off an entire profession for everyone.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
ilyatha
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: March 04, 2011, 04:09:17 AM

The exploit was as follows from what I understand:

1) Start runebreak on an item
2) Sell item to vendor
3) Receive runecrafting materials
4) Buyback item
5) Repeat
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #81 on: March 04, 2011, 05:21:35 AM

Woolen bags were selling for 36-50 g buyout last night (it fluctuates quite a bit day to day).  It's only 10 slots.  I have 6 of them filled with artifacts in my bank...

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #82 on: March 04, 2011, 05:58:44 AM

I picked up a 12-slot bag for 50G which seemed a little spendy but not horrible.  That and 8-slot bags from the vendor are getting me by right now. 
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: March 04, 2011, 06:05:07 AM

ilyatha's got it right, it was essentially a duping bug that really had to be fixed; I do wish they would hurry it up, however.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: March 04, 2011, 06:11:12 AM

I doesn't seem like something that would be difficult to fix.

I am the .00000001428%
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: March 04, 2011, 06:21:06 AM

Should be fixed once the servers come up, it's in the latest hotfix notes.

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: March 04, 2011, 08:01:55 AM

* Not really RIFT-specific but fuck inventory management. Just fuck it completely, I do not need bags and I do not need banks and I certainly do not need to run out of space, ever. A tedious idea that should have been kicked to the curb years ago.

Because nothing could ever go wrong if players had unlimited inventories.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
March
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: March 04, 2011, 08:24:37 AM

Because nothing could ever go wrong if players had unlimited inventories.
Agreed.  Gold pieces should stack, and you should have to take them to a special money-changer NPC to convert them into a higher tier of coin (while paying a % fee) to further optimize your bag space.

In for a penny, in for a pound, I say.
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: March 04, 2011, 08:36:27 AM

I maintain that inventory should be either effectively unlimited (put some kind of cap on it just in case of some technical problems, but make the cap higher than any player could be expected to reach, even if they decided to say, keep every piece of armor they ever wore and everything that seems like 'it might be useful someday') or entirely realistic in that you cannot carry more than a person could be expected to reasonably carry (see The Witcher for a good example). 

In between is retarded.  It adds no 'realism' to have bags that can carry fifty suits of platemail armor, or fifty slips of paper, but not 49 slips of paper and 6 suits of platemail, and I don't really think I know anyone who thinks it's fun to run out of inventory space and have to go back to town.  At least purely by weight (like UO) makes a little more sense, but the 'inventory slots' idea really should be ditched already.

The only upshots to a limited inventory that I can see is making it easier to organize (since you won't have huge amounts of stuff to go through) but a good organization method would be a better way to handle that than forcing people to throw things away.  Some people are hoarders and like keeping piles of stuff and there's no reason they shouldn't be able to.  The only other upshot I can see is if you're going to make it into a moneysink (like, pay rent on bank vault space in order to store more items) but most games aren't using it that way, so that's not much of an excuse.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: March 04, 2011, 09:05:46 AM

Quests involving running across the zone multiple times + getting dismounted after 1 hit + spawn density is making me want to quit the game entirely.  Also mages seem to kind of blow early levels, and the only decent specs for PvE quest grinding are some combo of chloro, necro, lock, elementalist.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 09:07:25 AM by trias_e »
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: March 04, 2011, 09:11:30 AM

Another thing.  I really miss EQ's diversity of races and racial cities.  RIFT really takes the blandification of these things to the next level.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #91 on: March 04, 2011, 09:16:35 AM

My gripes:

- Bland Guardian faction and races
- No multiple starting areas
- Clothing diversity/appearance lacking

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: March 04, 2011, 10:02:43 AM

Quests involving running across the zone multiple times + getting dismounted after 1 hit + spawn density is making me want to quit the game entirely.  Also mages seem to kind of blow early levels, and the only decent specs for PvE quest grinding are some combo of chloro, necro, lock, elementalist.

The running thing doesn't change... ever. 

Play any of the other three archetypes.  After leveling a mage to 20, especially a non-pet mage, all other classes feel like super easy-mode.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: March 04, 2011, 10:11:55 AM

Mages lack the power to just burn things before melee, and suffer horribly to archer typed mobs (shitty armor, low hp, few defensive spells to deal with it)

I find all that amusing considering a well specced marksman can burn most mobs without ever touching melee range, and don't suffer too much from archers or mages due to having even higher damage output if the target doesn't WANT to be in the tiny dead zone.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: March 04, 2011, 10:57:58 AM

Solo cleric: handles 3 mobs trivially.

Solo warrior: handles 3 mobs with a little bit of tact.

Solo rogue: handles 3 mobs reasonably

Solo mage: hands the healer 6 gp. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: March 04, 2011, 11:12:16 AM

You forgot "solo pally/reaver: pulls 3 mobs, curses that the other 6 didn't add as well" ;)
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #96 on: March 04, 2011, 11:33:00 AM

Eh, while my mage is a elementalist/dominator, I don't have too much trouble with multiple pulls.   Squirrel one, optional root another, and burn.  Problem is that can't heal my pet until 16, which means that multiple pulls will result often in a dead pet.  Plus, I have a damage absorption shield which is pretty handy as well.

They need a lot more burst, but overall I just think that lower level mobs (not sure how this scales) need their HP reduced by at least a quarter.  It's just far too many casts until dead mob.

-Rasix
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: March 04, 2011, 11:51:57 AM

Mobs got a huge hp buff in beta.. 5? Maybe 6. Made the low level game a lot more lethal.

Necros also seem to get all their pet management tools early. Elementalists take forever to get pet heals and pet threat/damage increases.
Gunzwei
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: March 04, 2011, 12:01:00 PM

Exposed debuff is retarded and has gotten me killed more times than I care to admit. Secondly stealth/stun/snare mobs in high level zones are just annoying when you're trying to do dailies or a rift.

kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: March 04, 2011, 12:31:14 PM

Assassin typed stealthed mobs are indeed some crap. Nothing says "we hate mages" like mobs you can't engage at range to start, who stun right off the bat and deal high damage.

I loved that in beta you could see their stealth outline at range, but not click them. So at least you knew not to walk into that room unprepared.
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: March 04, 2011, 02:13:37 PM

Solo mage: hands the healer 6 gp. 

Not in my experience through level 10 with Pyromancer/Elementalist/Warlock

Here's my build:
http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1zIqv.fco.M.0M

Even if I don't get the Ground of Power up, I can do enough damage between the Soul Leech, Fireball, Flame Jet and Flame Bolt to finish them off. The key, of course, is using the pet to grab majority of the aggro -- I can do ok if one of the three get on me as long as the pet has the other 2. I drop soul leech on all three if possible, plus the instant Dark Touch DoT, then start laying down the fire. It's a tough battle, no question, but doable and even 'exciting'. I definitely have to think things through much more with my mage than my rogue.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #101 on: March 04, 2011, 02:49:21 PM

Well, I found my biggest complaint, though time will eventually fix it.  I pre-ordered the CE from amazon, they sent it out yesterday.  I'm blocked out of the game until the box gets here.  I should have just gone digital.  Me and my neandertholic ways.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
March
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: March 04, 2011, 02:54:27 PM

Gripe: Why aren't my skills tied to my level?

Don't you just hate it when you try a new soul combo, run out to adventure land...only to discover you forgot to buy the higher tiers of your new skills?
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: March 04, 2011, 03:07:31 PM

Gripe: Why aren't my skills tied to my level?

Don't you just hate it when you try a new soul combo, run out to adventure land...only to discover you forgot to buy the higher tiers of your new skills?

I did that on my Defiant Bard, when I made an Assassin/Riftstalker role.  Hopped into the warfront, and was wondering why I couldn't kill shit, until I realized I hadn't trained any of the assassin skills. 

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: March 04, 2011, 03:57:34 PM

Eh, while my mage is a elementalist/dominator, I don't have too much trouble with multiple pulls.   Squirrel one, optional root another, and burn.  Problem is that can't heal my pet until 16, which means that multiple pulls will result often in a dead pet.  Plus, I have a damage absorption shield which is pretty handy as well.

They need a lot more burst, but overall I just think that lower level mobs (not sure how this scales) need their HP reduced by at least a quarter.  It's just far too many casts until dead mob.

I've found that the key to most of the mage souls is the neat little tricks each one has (or a combo of a few).  It never seems as simple as burst dmg.  Typically you'll need to debuff, drain, combo, mez, or cc to get max effect from your spells.  Not to mention the plethora of abilities that are situationally dependent... like 'do X more dmg. if target isnt moving' or 'do X dmg. if X amount of stacks and you use air attk,' etc.
For instance, my 'storm shackle' is near useless unless I pair it with a knockback abilitiy under the root time.

It's a lot of casting yah, but it can get quite entertaining.  As for big time burst though, it's there in the upper lvls.  And the dmg curves seem to get better and better over time as abilities and stats start working together later on.   I dont think lower lvl mobs need HP reduction, but I fear how they've scaled higher lvl mobs in relation to the dmg. curve.  If they curve the mob HP up just like dmg., than obviously having shitloads of burst dmg. isnt gonna matter much.  So far to me though things seem to be getting easier just by shear virtue of having more options.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  RIFT  |  Topic: Gripes, complaints and irritations.  
Jump to: