Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:21:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  RIFT  |  Topic: Gripes, complaints and irritations. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gripes, complaints and irritations.  (Read 250688 times)
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

on: March 01, 2011, 07:56:05 AM

~Getting dismounted so easily
~Mobs ten levels blow you aggroing you from stupid distances.
~A debuff, that when you run away from a mob it applies a 20% stacking damage buff on you.

Seriously, what. the. fuck?

Not even going to get into how few actual buildings there are, as in places you can enter. The population of this world sure loves sitting on porches.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 08:09:39 AM

Mm, I approve of this thread.  Let's see.  I think I agree with all of the above.  Also:

Transportation issues.  There's no mark/recall, no flight points or any kind of quick transportation within a zone, only the Porticulum for transit between zones.  This means that when I get a message that such-and-such place is under attack, I cannot possibly reach it in time to help, unless I am already near.  For a game with lots of time-sensitive, location-dependent stuff, this sucks.

Channels.  Yes, another game with fuckstupid lack of channel security/persistence - as soon as a channel is empty it ceases to exist and the password, oplist, and banlist go away, so you can never keep a channel name secure from channel griefers.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 08:13:38 AM

Densely packed, aggro mobs even on roads, particularly because of points one and two above. I barely even bother with my mount anymore, most times I just switch to my assassin spec and stealth whenever I don't want to clear shit for an hour just to turn in a quest. A good rule of thumb should be that a level appropriate character should be able to travel on a road without ever aggroing a mob (of course, invasions get a pass since that's sort of the point).

Edit: There is in fact recall, you can bind at any of the Porticulum locations and teleport there every hour.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 08:14:13 AM

Literally about 99% of my random loot has been "of the fortress" including the one blue and the one epic drops i've gotten. 

I am the .00000001428%
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 08:17:38 AM

Just one gripe from me right now.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 08:18:40 AM

Yah, they need to make it easier to run away and just move around in general.   Are ports the only method of quick transport available?

I'm also of the opinion that you're a little too squishy early on.  This may be soul/build specific but anything other than 2 mobs at level 17 (champ) and I'm likely looking at a dirt nap.  Even with two, I take a huge beating.  Combined with the difficulty in running and you just eat a lot of deaths in this game.  I'd rather not be forced into a tank/FOTM build for questing, but at least this game offers that sort of flexibility with little hassle.

I do also think they need to work on their lore presentation, although it's pretty decent for a launch MMO.  I'm still a bit muddy on what the hell is all happening and I actually read the quest dialog (mostly).

-Rasix
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 08:20:07 AM

Densely packed, aggro mobs even on roads...

Heh, yeah - some people were griping in the level-specific channels the other day about how the roads were more dangerous than taking a shortcut across the countryside.  I have to agree there, and it's quite annoying.

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 08:22:35 AM

Edit: There is in fact recall, you can bind at any of the Porticulum locations and teleport there every hour.
Soul recall should let you port to ANY portal once an hour. Click it, get the portal interface and away you go. There's no point in binding to any specific portal, since there's no transportation time between portals themselves (except loading screens.)

Maybe later there'll be binding points but no portals, but that's stupid in any case.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 08:23:59 AM

Yah, they need to make it easier to run away and just move around in general.   Are ports the only method of quick transport available?

I'm also of the opinion that you're a little too squishy early on.  This may be soul/build specific but anything other than 2 mobs at level 17 (champ) and I'm likely looking at a dirt nap.  Even with two, I take a huge beating.  Combined with the difficulty in running and you just eat a lot of deaths in this game.  I'd rather not be forced into a tank/FOTM build for questing, but at least this game offers that sort of flexibility with little hassle.

I do also think they need to work on their lore presentation, although it's pretty decent for a launch MMO.  I'm still a bit muddy on what the hell is all happening and I actually read the quest dialog (mostly).
Portals and hearth are all I've seen Rasix. I agree with the "too squishy" sentiment. As a MM/Ranja rogue at 32, my pet can handle 2 mobs if I keep my HoT on him; if I get a third I have to pull it off him and tank it myself or he'll just die way too fast (and once he's down I follow shortly). Kiting isn't really a viable strat for me either, since taking two steps in any direction almost always results in more adds.

AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 09:17:32 AM

After playing WoW and its increasingly risk-free questing, I kinda like that there is more danger in the routine world questing experience. Though I must admit after dying so many times in alpha playing a mage, I opted for the more surviveable cleric for my main and it's been much less of an issue.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 09:21:03 AM

My main complaint right now is the lack of a runecrafting bag and the lack of tabbed bankspace.
I'm not one of those people who enjoys organizing bags/banks into some kind of spectacular folder system.

Also, the "sell all" tab doesnt just sell greyed vendor trash.  I tried it the other day and it sold a wand I intended to keep... so be careful.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 09:36:13 AM

Literally about 99% of my random loot has been "of the fortress" including the one blue and the one epic drops i've gotten. 

If you're a runecrafter, half the "of the fortress" gear, mainly the cloth, is flagged to not be runebreakable. It was placeholder gear from when they switched from static drops to the modifier system that never got shaken out of the loot table.

Pet peeves though: broken quest chains (my rogue is missing an entire line in gloamwood, I cannot fathom how. But I've done the zone five times now and I know the exact chain that is never appearing), and the goddamned guardian Cult Saga. Defiant one was changed to "close 8 death rifts" guardian one is still "kill every invasion boss in silverwood, AND be in the correct group/raid to have have loot/tag rights"

I killed three without getting loot sparklies before saying fuck it and moving on.

Also: Cadence, while awesome, is a stupid mechanic (60 energy, channeled, and if you hit any button, like say trying to queue another cadence, it cancels early and tries to start the next one, and tells you it can't because you're short energy.)

Also: all mobs appear to have a HUGE melee range and a perma ~15% runspeed buff. This makes kiting a bit of a pain in the ass.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 09:38:56 AM

RE: Cadence, all channeled skills are like that. I've wasted the cooldown on Crossfire a lot because I hit it, it doesn't trigger immediately due to lag or something, so I hit it again; the server catches up, fires the first one, immediately interrupts it with the second one only to tell me that ability isn't ready yet.  swamp poop

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 09:51:55 AM

Gripes:

1) Quest items taking up bag space

2) Loot tables seem weak

3) Level 8 mobs aggroing my level 25

4) Gloamwood is FILLED with quests that run you back and forth across the zone

5) Would like some kind of aggro meter for healing Rift invasions.  I get aggro all the time by healing main tanks, particularly when the tank is a rogue. 

6) Respawn rates are too fast in some areas and too slow in others. 

7) Quests that generate a rift will attract other players causing you to not get credit for the final mob as someone else pulls it. 

I'll think of others.   

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 10:38:36 AM

Oh yes - "merge public groups" seems to work sporadically at best.

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: March 01, 2011, 10:46:27 AM

Only irritations for me so far have been the occasional plat spam whisper and the Report command fixes that.

Many times in MMOs I've had to do what I call "threading the needle" -- i.e. picking out a careful route among mobs. It's such a natural reflex for me that I rarely get dismounted.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #16 on: March 01, 2011, 11:02:02 AM

Only irritations for me so far have been the occasional plat spam whisper and the Report command fixes that.

Many times in MMOs I've had to do what I call "threading the needle" -- i.e. picking out a careful route among mobs. It's such a natural reflex for me that I rarely get dismounted.

Ill second threading the needle. But I also agree lower level mobs will dismount you a little to easy, and the stacking runaway debuff is a bit overkill. Maybe if it ws 5%, but 20%? really?
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: March 01, 2011, 11:02:14 AM

Transportation issues.  There's no mark/recall, no flight points or any kind of quick transportation within a zone, only the Porticulum for transit between zones.  This means that when I get a message that such-and-such place is under attack, I cannot possibly reach it in time to help, unless I am already near.  For a game with lots of time-sensitive, location-dependent stuff, this sucks.

Not exactly true.

Silverwood has two teleport/bind spots.
Iron Pine Peaks has three.
Stillmoor has two.
Shimmersand has two.

So 40% of the zones have multiple spots.

Edit:
IPP/Stillmoor/Shimmer are the three zones that you will spend the bulk of your time in.  The long 40-50 leveling process and all of the end game factions and Raid/Expert Rifts are here.

Edit2:
My gripe is that some dungeons are far away from faction specific portals.  For example, getting to Foul Cascade as a Defiant is a pain in the ass.  While getting to Kings Breach as a Guardian is equally painful.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 11:06:56 AM by Draegan »
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #18 on: March 01, 2011, 11:09:31 AM

I was saying this exact thing last night in guild chat actually. One the up side however, the mobs have a very short leash.

Travel will be streamlined, someday. They could easily use those stones in the camps as telepoints - and if need be, let it cost planarite which will make people partake in the object of the game.

Crafting - at least for apoth - was fucking stupid. The needed ingredients to run past the opening pots were so rare that I actually got more green armor drops than rotten teeth off the mobs that drop them. Big turn off for myself.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: March 01, 2011, 11:28:03 AM

Crafting quests that give fewer rewards than you could get by salvaging the items you just turned in.

PvP daily and planar loot giving leather to my warrior (at least it's BoE).

Only way to earn money seems to be by questing. I'm leveling a character mostly through PvP, and if the time I invested in armorsmithing doesn't pay off I will never be able to afford a mount.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: March 01, 2011, 12:05:11 PM

PvP is a very inefficient way to level.

You think crafting quests are shitty now? Wait til the higher level ones, where you might not even get useful rewards for your class. I'm an outfitter, and the last 3 dailies I've done have given me wood and stone.

kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: March 01, 2011, 12:28:49 PM

I think the point of the crafting quests is less the bag of crap, and more the tokens used to buy crafting recipes.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: March 01, 2011, 12:54:23 PM

No clear visible sound cues / animations for abilities; most spells and melee abilities have the same animation and spell visuals are very low-key. This is not a big deal in pve (other than noticing when a tank/healer uses their CDs or if a party member is casting a CC vs a nuke), but in pvp there's no way to tell what the enemies are casting and who is CC'd (other than squirrel, obviously).

Buff/debuff display is also pretty bad. Most classes have like 3 self-buffs and 4 bard songs running at any time, while I'm interested in whether they have a cooldown or proc active so I can dispel it / CC them. (the big CDs don't really have any visual or audio cues either, see above). Same with debuffs on me, the only one that's really distinct is the saboteur combo point thing.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: March 01, 2011, 01:13:43 PM

Buff/Debuff display is fucking horrid.
ShenMolo
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: March 01, 2011, 01:52:43 PM

After playing WoW and its increasingly risk-free questing, I kinda like that there is more danger in the routine world questing experience. Though I must admit after dying so many times in alpha playing a mage, I opted for the more surviveable cleric for my main and it's been much less of an issue.

This.

I don't mind all the extra running around , pissed off low level mods, and not having everything lined up for me on a plate.

One of the best things about it is randomly grouping with other folks, or grouping with guildies, just to do normal quests. The quests are harder than WoW - I die a lot and have to be careful.

I don't think I've been in a group outside an instance in WoW in 3 years.

It feels a little EQ like, with a thick layer of WoW polish on top.

I'm enjoying it much more than the last few fantasy MMO's to come out (AoC, Warhammer, etc).
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 01:56:20 PM by ShenMolo »
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: March 01, 2011, 02:38:34 PM

Do you mean the icons or that it's hard to know someone's state just by looking at them? I moved my self buff icons above my hotkey row and that helped a lot with my awareness of temp timed buffs (esp. bard Motives).

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: March 01, 2011, 03:03:22 PM

Let's get a couple facts straight ok?

1.This is not a bad game.

2. Anyone saying this is as polished is wow doesn't know what they are talking about. Not to get into a long rant but stable and well made isnt the same as polished. Polished is being able to hover over someone and have the tooltip have their guild name, instead of having to squint or having their guild name come up in a /who which it does not either. In fact in rift the only way to know if someone is in a guild is to stand right next to them and look under their name. This and a lot of other 'little things' is what is the difference between well made and polished.

3 Tedious and repetitive tasks are not the same as hard or difficult ones. Having to run around mobs ten levels lower because of some bullshit mechanics tacked on does not make the game more difficult, challenging or engaging, all it does is add time to whatever travel you are doing as you stop to kill each rabid boar in your path.  This is not challenging, in fact the mobs are quite easy when you arent trying to run and getting 100% extra damage from them. This does not add a layer of complexity or difficulty, it's a bullshit cockblock timesink.

There are a lot of things rift gets right but this isn't a wow killer, it's not robot jesus. It'll do well, I expect better than warhammer or aoc but its not a step forward in mmo's, its a sidegrade to wow.  In some respects it's better, some worse.  Where I think rifts greatest success will be is that it will prove that mmo's besides wow CAN do well, if made to at least this standard.

Rift will be setting the minimum standard for success.

Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: March 01, 2011, 03:17:53 PM

One of my main gripes - scant drops in killing rifts. I can go all out and burn through all my abilities, have my little nonsense suxxess meter well into the gold range and get planarite and stupid use treasure which gets me wisdom/int essences or health seeds. I have received 1 purple stone in the first area and 4 blue stones in 34 levels - and I RARELY pass up a rift unless its a major and I am the only one there.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #28 on: March 01, 2011, 03:35:31 PM

Oh yeah, one other little gripe. The interface editor cant resize your open bags.  swamp poop
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: March 01, 2011, 03:55:41 PM

Do you mean the icons or that it's hard to know someone's state just by looking at them? I moved my self buff icons above my hotkey row and that helped a lot with my awareness of temp timed buffs (esp. bard Motives).

Everything that is associated with buffs and debuffs, whether its the target UIs or the buff/debuff frames, is atrocious.  Your own buffs/debuffs aren't even put in order of time left, it's all fucking random.  You try playing a rogue where you juggle four 60s buffs.  You just end up using them randomly.

It's horridly frustrating.

But the rest of the game is tits.

---

Lol Lakov - You certainly play the WOW fanboy perfectly well.  Being a Rift fanboy, I salute you.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 03:59:38 PM by Draegan »
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: March 01, 2011, 04:48:11 PM

Oh yeah, one other little gripe. The interface editor cant resize your open bags.  swamp poop

From:  http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?97217-The-quot-Things-I-wish-I-had-known-sooner-quot-thread...

*Under Settings there is a greyed out Global UI size. This will scale the bags and Character box, which you can not do manually under Edit Layout*
ShenMolo
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: March 01, 2011, 05:36:33 PM

Who said 'it's as polished as wow"? Not I. Of course it's not.

No it's not a WoW killer, or robot jesus.

And it is definitely harder than Wow at the levels we are in now. I have spent the last few months leveling up a variety of toons in WoW and it is easy mode in a box with a bow compared to this game at these levels. Outside of instances, who even dies in WoW any more? The fact that there is actual danger for your toons at these levels might be a cockblock to some, but I enjoy it.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: March 01, 2011, 07:46:37 PM

No cloaks? wtf!

I am the .00000001428%
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: March 01, 2011, 08:21:51 PM

- why the fuck does EVERYTHING seem to have a DoT on you at all times? ffffuuuuuuuuu!

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: March 01, 2011, 08:35:22 PM

I like wow and I seem to always be in the position of defending it for the sole reason that a lot of idiots seem to think it's a bad game. I'm a big fan of "art is subjective" and all, maybe the sims is for brainless people, maybe farmville is lowest common demoninator but they are still good games. They are good at what they do, they offer things customers want and in that way wow is a very, very good game. It also doesn't hurt that it was programmed well.

That said I'm sick of wow and as evidenced in other posts, I feel the game is suffering from age "cracks starting to show" and all that. To call me a wow fanboy a couple years ago would have been more accurate but even then to me it was always just "the best out there" not the best.

I recognize rift for what it is, a good game that will sustain a healthy amount of subs for a long time but, it's not a great game. Hell I may even continue playing well past the free month but it's got its flaws.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  RIFT  |  Topic: Gripes, complaints and irritations.  
Jump to: