Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:45:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: The latest in SOE's straw grasping 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The latest in SOE's straw grasping  (Read 13479 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #35 on: February 17, 2005, 10:02:25 AM

What's so tough about CR? Grab a component gem, summon corpse.

Too bad you didn't invite that necro along  tongue
AlteredOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: February 17, 2005, 10:05:35 AM

Within limits, CR did offer a challenge and give good purpose to certain classes.

But at the point where I left EQ in 2001, there was a dire need for a viable "Log off now" option when things went awry.  For those raids that went bad at 2 AM, you were shit out of luck.  Sounds like things have changed. 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 10:14:27 AM by AlteredOne »
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #37 on: February 17, 2005, 10:08:31 AM

No, a lot of times, at least when I was playing last year, you were still Shit outa luck....even moreso when there were groups of mobs to get past, but 1 fucker would see through hide/sneak + Shroud of Stealth.

It just seems SoE is dumbing their games down. With EQ2, trains are mostly no danger to other parties, besides the lag they induce. I mean, come on, who doesn't have great stories about escaping unbelieveable trains?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #38 on: February 17, 2005, 11:40:25 AM

What's so tough about CR? Grab a component gem, summon corpse.

Too bad you didn't invite that necro along  tongue

More like too bad I couldn't find a goddamn necro when I needed one. On Karana, all the catass uber guilds had snapped up 90% of the necros and clerics out there. Most of the rest were either troublemakers, jacktards who couldn't do anything but solo, or worse. The really decent ones of both those classes were very hard to find outside of the uber guilds. My guild eventually found a few, but it was really hard.

Had rangers and warriors out the ass, though. Druids too.

I always loved it when the necros we'd find would cast that Direct damage spell that turned the mob into a skeleton and all of a sudden the ginormous dragon we were fighting turned into a fucking man-sized skeleton. And Verant wondered why there were so few necros wanted on raids before summon corpse was put in.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: February 17, 2005, 11:52:36 AM

I used to cast Ignite Bones on raids if they pissed me off with that twitch crap (I was a master of death for 54 levels, I'm not becoming a mana cleric now kinda thing). That was actually where the hate for following the herd in endgames crystallized into a jagged ball of disgust. I thought I had passed it through my colon, but WoW is bringing it all back, yay.

I used to love full wipes on the 'easy' planes (the only ones I could stomach doing). One lonely necro hanging out by himself on the planes, I was sometimes a bit quick on ye olde feigning of the death...but hey, I always survived and let the clerics know when it was safe to log back in...

I love talking about EQ, always reminds me how much I dislike that style of game, and I need reminders now and again, lest I do something dumb like start doing instances in WoW...
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: February 17, 2005, 11:55:13 AM

It just seems SoE is dumbing their games down. With EQ2, trains are mostly no danger to other parties, besides the lag they induce. I mean, come on, who doesn't have great stories about escaping unbelieveable trains?
...I have a great story about leading an unbelievable train to its horrible doom, if that helps any.

So this one time, at Crystal Titan camp, I pulled about a fourth of the last room, which was about the size of Atlas Park. When I finally stopped and the blaster jumped into the middle of everything to hit Nova, my system locked up for about ten seconds to try and process all the damage numbers. When it came back I was surrounded by dead crystal monsters. It was great.

--GF
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #41 on: February 17, 2005, 05:22:32 PM

Wrong Game, n00bler....

I have better stories anyway.  tongue

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #42 on: February 22, 2005, 06:37:12 AM

So, does the recent increase in activity in this forum indicate an upturn in EQ2 fortune's? A month ago this was a "one post a day" town.

I have never played WoW.
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: February 22, 2005, 07:12:19 AM

So, does the recent increase in activity in this forum indicate an upturn in EQ2 fortune's? A month ago this was a "one post a day" town.

Not in my view.  I learn from mistakes not successes.  WoW is a hit but we can debate why.  EQ2 is having big problems and that is fertile grounds for discussing what makes a MMORPG work.

I think there are more vultures than fanbois here.

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #44 on: February 22, 2005, 08:14:43 AM

90% of the people who posted on this thread either would never pay to play EQ2 like me, or played and left. Most of us are the vultures.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: February 23, 2005, 07:27:48 AM

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #46 on: February 23, 2005, 08:26:39 AM

Is that the comic guy with the spider/hole in his head?

I played the EQ2 beta with the gaming group here.  It was fun until 15 minutes or so after I left the newbie island and then it just wasn't fun anymore.  I always had the feeling that I didn't give it much of a chance, but could never muster up enough motivation to give it another go.  I will say, that regardless of if they did it to better compete with WoW, it's a good thing they are making it a bit more soloable.  Most MMOGs should get on that bandwagon.  I never even tried FFIX or Lin2 in release because of just that... I tend to play funny times and have little luck with pickup groups.  Lineage 2 beta made me crazy... I was murdered numerous times every day by much higer levels or gank groups.  The pk penalties did nothing at all to prevent it.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
schild
Administrator

Reply #47 on: February 23, 2005, 08:27:48 AM

Is that the comic guy with the spider/hole in his head?

Did you just confuse The Vulture with Spider Jerusalem?

I think you'd really like Transmetropolitan if you read it. It's probably right up your alley.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: The latest in SOE's straw grasping  
Jump to: