Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:47:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Not the Summer Expansion - supposedly free of pointless feature bloat 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Not the Summer Expansion - supposedly free of pointless feature bloat  (Read 23350 times)
eldaec
Terracotta Army

on: February 12, 2011, 12:12:11 AM

size doesn't matter
reported by CCP Soundwave | 2011.02.10 17:29:06 | Comments
The past releases, Team Best Friends Forever has been working on large features, our latest being Incursions. Next release will be different though; next release we'll be trying to track down all the small things that annoy you and working to correct them.

Of course, it wouldn't be necessary choose between feature bloat and continuous improvement if it wasn't for the vast majority of staff being assigned to the ridiculous space barbie concept. But that aside, one must be happy with what one can attain, and given the circumstances this is broadly good news.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 07:50:02 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 01:00:43 AM

Translation: We're going to stop breaking shit and using Eve as our technology testbed, and actually fix some of the old stuff we broke and never bothered to deal with before.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 03:06:41 AM

We've re-balanced officers so their difficulty reflects their value more.

Can't wait for the hilarious botting lossmails.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 04:45:06 AM

Translation: We're going to stop breaking shit and using Eve as our technology testbed, and actually fix some of the old stuff we broke and never bothered to deal with before.
--Dave

Well, they're currently changing / revamping core server software components, so I read this more as "we're going to try to fix some of the shit you players are whining about, to shut you up for when the new bugs hit."
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 06:21:22 AM

Did I miss something or does this mean walking around in stations isn't going to be ready for a while?

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 07:50:46 AM

Actually this shit is all listed for deployment on tuesday - seems they actually mean just this mini patch is free of pointless feature bloat.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 09:23:13 AM

When will the "there are only blues on this grid, stop shooting neutrals they're friendly! STOP SHOOTING!" bug be fixed?

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 11:42:15 AM

Shortly after you're able to make an overview that only shows war targets.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 03:22:22 PM

I haven't been paying attention to the notes for some time - did rockets get fixed and ass-frigs get their missing slot (I think it was ass-frigs that seemed to be missing one)?

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 03:44:07 PM

Rockets were buffed, assault frigates were not.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 04:24:22 PM

I'm still waiting for something simple, like having a skill queue where you can load a bunch of skills, without that damn 24 hour rule.  And smart enough to not reject skills if the prerequisite skills are in the queue.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 04:31:20 PM

I'm still waiting for something simple, like having a skill queue where you can load a bunch of skills, without that damn 24 hour rule.  And smart enough to not reject skills if the prerequisite skills are in the queue.

With how long it took to get ANY queue I wouldn't hold my breath for the current one being made even less interactive.  swamp poop

Although the prereq thing would be nice. :P

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 12:38:52 AM

The thing I hate about the 24 hour rule is that it is annoying as hell on a new character when everything you train is still 3 minutes 25 seconds.

It stops being a problem after 10 million or so skill points when you always have a 3 week level 5 to stick on the end of 24 hours of smaller skills.

Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 01:19:57 AM

Ungrateful people, itt.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 02:05:35 AM

Did I miss something or does this mean walking around in stations isn't going to be ready for a while?

*dies of shock*

Hic sunt dracones.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #15 on: February 13, 2011, 06:24:23 PM

The thing I hate about the 24 hour rule is that it is annoying as hell on a new character when everything you train is still 3 minutes 25 seconds..

Or you could be smart and have one skill that you set to level V at the end of each queue and keep pushing back until you're ready for it, in case you miss a day here and there.  Even one day old characters might want to start grinding away at Electronics V.
Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #16 on: February 14, 2011, 03:33:52 PM

Someday, Cruise Missiles V, you will be mine!  Shaking fist
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: February 15, 2011, 06:47:56 AM

When will the "there are only blues on this grid, stop shooting neutrals they're friendly! STOP SHOOTING!" bug be fixed?

This never happens to me, I'm starting to suspect it is just an excuse to shoot dbrb.

tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: February 15, 2011, 06:59:53 AM

It's never boat that's neut though, always some scrub from some other alliance. vOv

Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: February 25, 2011, 08:17:41 AM

Holy crap they seem to be genuinely serious about incarna: http://www.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&bid=860

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: February 25, 2011, 08:38:50 AM

Holy crap they seem to be genuinely serious about incarna: http://www.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&bid=860

Seems like it will be cool the first time you look at it, and after 5 minutes the novelty will wear off and you will never use it again.  But it could have some good potential if they expand on it, I already can imagine corp recruitment adds you can view in your quarters from Goon recruitment scammers.  awesome, for real
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 08:41:47 AM by Thrawn »

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: February 25, 2011, 08:55:42 AM

"If they expand on it".

Gee. I wonder where I've heard that phrase before.

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: February 25, 2011, 10:01:25 AM

Incarna is Second Life for Eve.

People don't want to look at an avatar looking at a corp recruitment advert on a avatar-tv screen in an avatar-room. They want to look at a corp recruitment advert in a window, preferably in a browser window out of game.

Almost every killer app for Incarna is a great idea, but belongs in Eve gate.

tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: February 25, 2011, 10:22:20 AM

Second life? And we can't even make it rain penises? cry

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: February 25, 2011, 10:36:28 AM

You clearly don't fly a thorax.

tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: February 25, 2011, 11:51:55 AM

I used to, but thoraxes don't fit around inside stations. Sadly.

Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: February 26, 2011, 07:26:14 PM

Is this going to end up like STO, where I have to pointlessly memorize and run around stations to do what I want, instead of clicking on a handy interface?  I'm thinking all this effort could be used to clean up old bugs and bring up the ship models to the standards of the Primae and Noctis.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: February 27, 2011, 06:30:24 AM

Is this going to end up like STO, where I have to pointlessly memorize and run around stations to do what I want, instead of clicking on a handy interface?  I'm thinking all this effort could be used to clean up old bugs and bring up the ship models to the standards of the Primae and Noctis.

Thta's been my fear, though with me dating to E&B not STO. The CSM told them in no uncertain terms that this was not what players wanted, but promises that the interface would remain the same have now drifted to stating it won't take any more time to do things than previously.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: February 27, 2011, 10:39:33 AM

Which probably means that once you have run to the right shop that has the service you want, things will take the same time as previously. And they will have to have no collision detection in stations or people will simply have their accounts blocking access to the in station services to everyone else 23/7, so you will have 10 people sharing the same body and people screaming about lack of realism

Hic sunt dracones.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: February 27, 2011, 11:22:17 PM

I suspect they mean that you access the existing ship spinning functions from the horrible 'cabin' interface they've been showing off.

If you think of one of those crappy 1990s menu systems where you pick a function by clicking randomly on indistinguishable objects or doors you'd be in the right area.

Vedi
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: February 28, 2011, 12:51:13 AM

Eve Bob?
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: February 28, 2011, 01:07:06 AM

Which probably means that once you have run to the right shop that has the service you want, things will take the same time as previously. And they will have to have no collision detection in stations or people will simply have their accounts blocking access to the in station services to everyone else 23/7, so you will have 10 people sharing the same body and people screaming about lack of realism

They've said the remaining means of doing everything necessary to fly your spaceship will remain.  So no.

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #32 on: February 28, 2011, 01:25:01 AM

I used to, but thoraxes don't fit around inside stations. Sadly.
That's what she said.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: February 28, 2011, 01:45:38 AM

They've said the remaining means of doing everything necessary to fly your spaceship will remain.  So no.

Technically they've also said that the dominion sov system would have treaties etc.

Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: February 28, 2011, 03:13:33 AM

Technically they've also said that the dominion sov system would have treaties etc.

That inability to go the extra mile is exactly why we're safe.

Twitter - Endieposts

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Not the Summer Expansion - supposedly free of pointless feature bloat  
Jump to: