Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:22:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Priest 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Priest  (Read 9968 times)
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

on: February 06, 2011, 02:45:10 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hinWQiv2rVc

Looks like good fun which will surely be shredded by the critics.  awesome, for real

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 02:49:11 PM

Looks, awesome

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 03:12:13 PM

Judge Dredd vs Vampires, looks great.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 01:49:25 AM

Um.

Where's Edward ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 07:12:17 AM

Hopefully rotting in a ditch.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 08:06:12 AM

Yeah, I'll bite.  why so serious?

pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 08:43:06 AM

Little nitpick: These, like the creatures they resemble in I am Legend, are more ghouls than vampires. They eat human flesh in order to survive rather than drinking human blood to gain power. Vampires aren't animalistic monsters, even starving vampires, and movies cheapen the idea of a vampire by making them so. Additionally they're not physically beautiful so much as they have a hypnotic aura of power and command. Also they don't twinkle in the sunlight, they set fire and turn to ash.

The mythos is in pretty poor shape. I blame Anne Rice.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 10:36:16 AM

I agree with ya, but if I am not mistaken, this is cut straight from the graphic novel. And we all know how "reality" is in that media.  awesome, for real

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 11:09:49 AM

Little nitpick: These, like the creatures they resemble in I am Legend, are more ghouls than vampires. They eat human flesh in order to survive rather than drinking human blood to gain power. Vampires aren't animalistic monsters, even starving vampires, and movies cheapen the idea of a vampire by making them so. Additionally they're not physically beautiful so much as they have a hypnotic aura of power and command. Also they don't twinkle in the sunlight, they set fire and turn to ash.

The original "wampyres" of folklore had a lot more in common with what we'd today call "ghouls" or "zombies" than the cape-wearing Dracula types.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 11:18:54 AM

I want a modern movie about Chinese Hopping Vampires damnit

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 05:23:43 PM

You've got me well at truly stumped. What angle are you taking here?
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 06:01:28 PM

The original "wampyres" of folklore had a lot more in common with what we'd today call "ghouls" or "zombies" than the cape-wearing Dracula types.

This.  More 30 days of Night and less Bram Stoker.

Personally I don't mind some differing mythos, I prefer the more viscious but can enjoy the suave monster. The Twilight vampires are crimes against nature though.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 08:47:28 PM

You've got me well at truly stumped. What angle are you taking here?
Bram Stoker. I want vampires as supervillains, monstrous without being merely monsters. Also without being part of tedious secret societies designed to create plots for comic books and romance novel soap operas. Also with the overwhelming, surprising, and arbitrary weaknesses supervillains tend to have.

If you want secret societies, use humans. They're scarier and their flaws are more fun. If you want ghouls, use ANY OF THE DOZENS OF HUMANOID BEASTS AVAILABLE FROM WORLD FOLKLORE.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 12:37:41 PM

Ohhhhh, I see.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 01:18:13 PM

Anne Rice's have more in common with what you expect than, like, actual folklore vampires. As people pointed out. But I wanted to point it out too!

The best vampires were Octavia Butler's vampires though!

God Save the Horn Players
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: February 10, 2011, 07:18:14 AM

I feel the need to pile on here - Bram's Dracula didn't burn in the sunlight, he just wasn't as strong and couldn't shift shape (well, at noon he could shift shape).  He was repulsed by crosses though.  And needed soil from his home turf.

Seems like you are describing the Hammer-style vampire.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: February 10, 2011, 08:54:34 AM

Okay yeah, I've done my research and I have no idea what I actually like.

I just don't like centuries of inbred vampire politics and I don't like animalistic vampire ghouls.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: February 10, 2011, 11:22:00 AM

As long as they don't sparkle while raping 14 year old girls, I'm ok with it.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: February 10, 2011, 04:07:00 PM

As I've said before, Vampires were good before they were turned into teenagers. Even Anne Rice acknowledged the 2 real forms of vampires in her original book. I know you all like Blade but that film was just another step along the road to sparkly vampires.

Hic sunt dracones.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: February 10, 2011, 04:10:53 PM

this thread is waaaaay to neckbeardy

Lets talk about how awesome Paul Bettany is instead

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: February 10, 2011, 07:06:43 PM

Vampires bursting into flame and turning into ash in sunlight is a thoroughly modern convention.  Vampire myths show up in a great many different cultures, and different cultures have different takes.  Some *are* animalistic monsters.  None sparkle, though.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Over and out.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: February 10, 2011, 10:38:54 PM

As long as they don't sparkle while raping 14 year old girls, I'm ok with it.

Sparkling is where I draw my line as well. This far! No further!

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #22 on: September 10, 2011, 06:47:56 AM

Paul Bettany is a good actor.

Pity that he keeps appearing in drek like this.

It's possible that the filmmakers could have fit in a few more cliches into this movie, but I'm not sure where. It's a base of "The Searchers" mixed with "Pitch Black", a strong splash of "The Matrix" and a hint of "Mad Max".

Not worth watching as you've probably already seen it.

Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: September 10, 2011, 06:59:41 AM

I would disagree a bit. If you liked Pitch Black, which i did, you will like this movie.
Essentially the same thing but with vampires.

Not high art but some decently done sci-fi escapist action fun.

I do agree though that Paul Bettany should be getting much better roles, as i think he's a very good actor.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: September 10, 2011, 09:28:03 AM

Pitch Black was a great fucking movie.

I am the .00000001428%
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: September 10, 2011, 09:55:45 AM

This is a fun action movie.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: September 10, 2011, 09:59:59 AM

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: September 10, 2011, 01:56:52 PM

Anyone know if the third Riddick movie is still supposed to be happening? or did it get lost in the shuffle somewhere?

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Zetleft
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: September 10, 2011, 04:25:05 PM

Prob lost after all the horrible movies Vin has been doing since pitch black.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: September 10, 2011, 05:40:57 PM

Anyone know if the third Riddick movie is still supposed to be happening? or did it get lost in the shuffle somewhere?

I saw an article about it a few days ago, its in pre-production right now and will be rated R.  Vin Diesel took a pay cut and is only getting paid scale just so that it got the R rating as well.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #30 on: September 11, 2011, 04:20:23 AM

I agree that you should watch "Pitch Black" instead of "Priest".

Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: September 12, 2011, 01:49:15 AM

Priest was no horrible movie, but it was a run-of-the-mill storyline where every four year old could have connected the plot points in advance with a cranyon.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #32 on: September 12, 2011, 06:03:12 AM

I enjoyed it - a good fun popcorn movie. Paul Bettany was suprising (just not the kind of role I pictured him in), Karl Urban got to act very Karl Urbany, over the top Christopher Plummer, and

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: September 21, 2011, 07:25:45 PM

I hate movies that set up a sequel and then fucking bomb.

I am the .00000001428%
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: September 22, 2011, 07:34:54 AM

So you hate 99% of movies then.

Hic sunt dracones.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Priest  
Jump to: