Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:28:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Blood Bowl - Legendary Edition - $10 - Impulse/Stardock 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blood Bowl - Legendary Edition - $10 - Impulse/Stardock  (Read 7672 times)
Ard
Terracotta Army

on: February 03, 2011, 05:29:28 PM

So Impulse has Blood Bowl on sale this weekend for dirt cheap.  Does anyone know if there are any issues with this not being able to play with the Steam version or anything else?  I'm horribly tempted.

http://impulsedriven.com/bbowllegend
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 05:30:20 PM

The multiplayer all happens on their own servers, I don't think it makes a difference which version you buy for that.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 07:59:05 PM

Ah, I've been wanting to pick up Blood Bowl on a good sale for a while....but I'd much rather have it on Steam.  Decisions decisions.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 03:40:52 AM

There don't seem to be any issues with the different versions playing each other from our experience with the league.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 09:51:54 AM

Dammit guys, you're failing me.  Give me a reason to not buy this.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 10:00:35 AM

I'm finding it a unique title, that is somewhat fun, but punishing if you are not a long time sports fan.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 11:38:29 AM

I'm finding it a unique title, that is somewhat fun, but punishing if you are not a long time sports fan BB coach with an established team.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 11:40:55 AM

I'm finding it a unique title, that is somewhat fun, but punishing if you are not a long time sports fan BB coach with an established team.

Established team is optional if you've had a lot of practice (see: proudt, AndyDavo, etc.)

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 11:44:04 AM

Yeah, I know, but facing both is brutal (Comstar's blodgy bitches was my first multiplayer match)
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 01:43:19 PM

Half my games in Season 2 were vs teams on a higher value than I was, though it does make things more...complicated. The reason I lost to the Dark Elves in the last match was because they had a lot of blockers. Luck WILL win you games...and lose them. It's full of hilarity and drama. Learning to play vs a human just takes practice, and while the AI isn't great, it will teach you to play.

You can always play in the F13 feeder league, or the public league and play people your own value/rank.

I don't like sports at all, but I do like Bloodbowl. Best game Games Workshop ever made.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 01:50:04 PM

Yeah being a sports fan will help in no particular way. By far the most directly applicable experience I had pre-BB is other minis games.

Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 01:56:14 PM

Dammit guys, you're failing me.  Give me a reason to not buy this.

If you're really looking for an out, probably the most frustrating thing for me about the game is that it's so damn random.  Everything is based on dice rolls.  There is a lot of strategy to it, and the more I play the more I'm seeing "I need to get into this position" instead of "I need to roll a six," but there are still times when you'll do everything right and get kicked in the balls, or fuck up spectacularly and still pull a win.

I don't play poker, but I think it's kind of similar.  No amount of skill will win you every hand, but there's a lot of "game" in jiggling the odds in your favor.  Might be a positive thing, or it might be a source of frustration.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 01:58:23 PM

Without that randomness the better player would *always* win. Randomness is a great element in competitive games like this because it keeps the newer/weaker players invested because they can pull off lucky wins while they're learning.

Plus it is hilarious.

Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: February 04, 2011, 02:38:37 PM

Randomness is a great element in competitive games like this because it keeps the newer/weaker players invested because they can pull off lucky wins while they're learning.

I am a newer/weaker player, and it's pissing me right the hell off.  Newer players still usually lose this game, it's just harder for us to tell why, because it's obfsucated behind probabilities and statistics instead of something simple like "you stood in the fire."

But, to be clear, I'm not saying everyone should hate it.  It just bugs me, and I assumed some other people might feel the same way.  Maybe it's just me.  *shrug*
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: February 04, 2011, 02:42:30 PM

Yeah there is an initial hump you have to get over with the probabilities in any case, that's very true.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #15 on: February 04, 2011, 03:54:47 PM

Purchase, join League(s), spill blood!

Everyone is oh so welcome.

We have the f13 Main League, running Season #3, with 12 estabilished and 20 new teams, 32 players totals, and playoffs. Total media coverage (!?) with individual persistent stats for all players. Games are one every 9 RL days. There's a final prize too.

Then we have the Feeder Open League, where everyone can sign up as many teams they want and challenge everyone everytime. Here you can test builds, go for the lulz, measure your neckbearded epeen, or try to minmax a team inside the 1250 TV limit so it can be eligible to sign up in the upcoming Season #4.

And we have a private subforum. Here's the Red Pill.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 03:57:17 PM by Falconeer »

Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #16 on: February 04, 2011, 04:38:54 PM

If you're easily frustrated, Blood Bowl may not be the game for you.  I've played for years and years, and I can't count how many games I've walked away from fuming, needing to take a walk, because I did everything right, my opponent made countless mistakes, and I still lost.  It happens.  There are players out there who will tell you that fortune barely factors in and we make our own luck, but they only say that because they won their last game. 

That said, more often than not the better player who makes smart decisions really does win (unless they're playing a joke team), even when they don't necessarily have the better team.  It's a challenging, fun, addictive game that instills in its players the highest of highs and the lowest of lows, and as an f13 member you already have access to the single best way to play the game: in a competitive league full of people who can take a joke and aren't complete dicks.

It's the single best game purchase I made last year, and perhaps even for several years, because I see myself playing it online with others here for a long time to come.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: February 04, 2011, 04:51:30 PM

Yeah, you guys failed to persuade me not to do this.  I think I pretty much have to pick it up this weekend and go get my teeth kicked in now.  I'm a sucker for masochism.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #18 on: February 04, 2011, 05:16:31 PM

Get a team into the MM league , and I'll be happy to oblige your wishes for those amateur dental procedures.

Also, I'll give you some pointers.   Ohhhhh, I see.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #19 on: February 04, 2011, 10:20:30 PM

If you want to see a frustrating game, try watching my playoff loss last season, where I knocked most of the opposing team off the field and still lost in an unexplained OT session.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #20 on: February 05, 2011, 02:00:09 AM

Just bought it. This was the Steam sale price I was waiting for on Steam.

Sadly, due to an imminent nightmare of a year at work, I won't be able to play in a league. I might be able to play some games in the open f13 league, though.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: February 05, 2011, 05:39:18 PM

Like Magicka or Spelunky, BB can function as a sort of comedy engine where half the fun is in discovering the unimaginable ways the game engine can come up with to screw you over. The depth, atmosphere, and PvP nature of the game tend to draw people towards a more srs competitive mindset though. I wonder if people would get less frustrated if the game were a bit less RAWR SMASH and a bit more "wacky fun".
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Calvin and Hobbes are back to maul the fuck outta you.

Reply #22 on: February 06, 2011, 10:22:47 PM

Fucken missed the sale for my friends  ACK! Heartbreak
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #23 on: February 07, 2011, 01:00:04 AM

You bringing fresh meat to the League, Llyse?

And it should be on sale on Steam soon, dammit.

Llyse
Terracotta Army

Calvin and Hobbes are back to maul the fuck outta you.

Reply #24 on: February 07, 2011, 06:26:18 AM

You bringing fresh meat to the League, Llyse?

And it should be on sale on Steam soon, dammit.

hmm, not sure family members would survive the roughhousing in f13...  awesome, for real

Also, the sale is on Stardock/Impulse so still on!  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: February 07, 2011, 07:42:30 AM

Since Blood Bowl is really a board/miniatures game, it's a good idea for new players to read the Competition Rules(pdf alert).
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: February 07, 2011, 09:27:20 AM

Just hit up the resources thread in the B3 forum.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #27 on: February 07, 2011, 01:34:49 PM

One thing about BB the video game. The interface is terribad, horribly documented and adds a great deal to the frustration when you lose. The main reason for that is it's refusal to actually show you the dice rolls you need to take most actions requiring a die roll. Without knowing the probability of that action off the top of your head, you cannot make an informed decision on the action. And yet, it's still fun, as much for the competition as it is for the "HOW THE FUCK DID THAT GODDAMN 2 AG ORC THROW A LONG BOMB WHEN MY FANCY AG 4 ELVES JUST FAILED TO PICK UP A BALL?"

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Blood Bowl - Legendary Edition - $10 - Impulse/Stardock  
Jump to: