Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:50:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: What do you do and where? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What do you do and where?  (Read 564973 times)
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #1330 on: July 09, 2009, 09:23:41 PM

schild
Administrator

Reply #1331 on: July 10, 2009, 08:48:18 PM

I really don't think this needs to be stickied either.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #1332 on: July 24, 2009, 06:10:45 PM

Necro.

So....I haven't received any word on the status of my medical or security clearance for the US State Dept. I sent the medical people an email a few days ago to inquire about the status, but haven't heard back yet.

So I come home today, and what do I find in my gmail account? A message from one of the caseworkers who handle potential hires down there.

She says I'm being put on the register of eligible hires, which is pretty nice. This means I passed both my clearances, and was given final approval by the final eligibility panel, in one fell swoop.

And then she went on to offer me a position in one of the upcoming orientation classes. In September. Which is pretty sweet, I guess.

So I guess this means I'll be the first person ever to go from GameStop to the US Dept of State's Foreign Service? That's kind of funny when you think about it.

Now I get to do all sorts of neat stuff, like move to DC (or more likely somewhere around Arlington, VA), get a real job, and all sorts of other neat things. 52 days to go.

I wonder if I'll have F13 access from work once I am abroad?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #1333 on: July 24, 2009, 06:15:44 PM

I wonder if I'll have F13 access from work once I am abroad?

Yes, http://www.witopia.net/welcome.php works.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Strazos

Reply #1334 on: July 24, 2009, 06:18:14 PM

Pretty sure Diplomatic Security would not appreciate me installing something like that, but thanks for the suggestion all the same. Ohhhhh, I see.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #1335 on: July 24, 2009, 06:47:31 PM

Necro.

So....I haven't received any word on the status of my medical or security clearance for the US State Dept. I sent the medical people an email a few days ago to inquire about the status, but haven't heard back yet.

So I come home today, and what do I find in my gmail account? A message from one of the caseworkers who handle potential hires down there.

She says I'm being put on the register of eligible hires, which is pretty nice. This means I passed both my clearances, and was given final approval by the final eligibility panel, in one fell swoop.

And then she went on to offer me a position in one of the upcoming orientation classes. In September. Which is pretty sweet, I guess.

So I guess this means I'll be the first person ever to go from GameStop to the US Dept of State's Foreign Service? That's kind of funny when you think about it.

Now I get to do all sorts of neat stuff, like move to DC (or more likely somewhere around Arlington, VA), get a real job, and all sorts of other neat things. 52 days to go.

I wonder if I'll have F13 access from work once I am abroad?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Welcome to the Guberment - fill out paperwork, wait, wait, wait, random response eventually.

No news is almost always good news.

Congratulations and cannot wait to hear how things go!  I may be up in Reston for a week later this year; too bad there are not enough f13'rs in the area for a get together.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Strazos

Reply #1336 on: July 24, 2009, 08:37:23 PM

If all goes well, I should be in the area for about a year.

But I hate to break it to ya - I'm terribly boring company.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Fear the Backstab!
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #1337 on: July 24, 2009, 08:59:48 PM

I am much more bland IRL. 

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #1338 on: July 24, 2009, 11:23:25 PM

From what I've been told, getting hired by the government in under six months is something of an accomplishment.  Grats!
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #1339 on: July 25, 2009, 08:26:46 AM

Actually, I can tell you from personal experience that DS does not block or care about F13. You're in luck! Yes, you'll have full access.

Congratulations and cannot wait to hear how things go!  I may be up in Reston for a week later this year; too bad there are not enough f13'rs in the area for a get together.
Going to be at the sterling campus off of waxpool? I used to work there. :)

Myself, MrHat, and Phildo(before he moved) are in the area. Possibly more people I don't know.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 08:30:49 AM by bhodi »
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #1340 on: July 25, 2009, 09:28:29 AM

Pretty sure Diplomatic Security would not appreciate me installing something like that, but thanks for the suggestion all the same. Ohhhhh, I see.

On non-secure computers on the non-secure network, they do not care.

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #1341 on: July 25, 2009, 09:39:12 AM

On non-secure computers on the non-secure network, they do not care.

Depends.

Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #1342 on: July 25, 2009, 12:11:43 PM

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1343 on: July 26, 2009, 09:29:03 AM

EDIT: Nah, never mind. No news yet.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1344 on: July 26, 2009, 09:37:49 AM

Tease. tongue

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #1345 on: July 26, 2009, 11:25:42 AM

EDIT: Nah, never mind. No news yet.

Congratulations on being hired as the lead designer for SWTOR's post-launch Advanced Pastime Ordeal.

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1346 on: July 31, 2009, 06:37:53 PM

Chris L'Etoile, just shy of 35
Somewhere in Maryland
MMORPG Content Designer, ZeniMax Online

Once again, I am part of the problem!

- Henry Cobb
Strazos

Reply #1347 on: July 31, 2009, 07:07:19 PM

Good job, and good luck in the US.

As a side benefit, you can now order stuff from nice US sites without having someone re-ship to you in Canada!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Fear the Backstab!
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1348 on: July 31, 2009, 08:49:39 PM

Hey!  Congrats!  And just in time for Silver Queen corn!   Heart

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1349 on: July 31, 2009, 09:58:55 PM

Somewhere in Maryland
It's called Bethesda.

Also, I'm not entirely sure giving up your health care for California Tortilla was the right move. But that's just me.

Enjoy the armpit of America. I give it 3 years, tops.

Edit: Actually, I do have a serious question: What's the wisdom behind leaving Bioware a mere few months before a AAA RPG comes out to work on an unannounced title that will remain unannounced for yet a few more months, if not a full year?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 10:01:45 PM by schild »
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1350 on: July 31, 2009, 11:30:01 PM

They made him an offer he couldn't refuse?

For whatever reason, gratz Stormwaltz.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1351 on: August 01, 2009, 12:53:44 AM

Edit: Actually, I do have a serious question: What's the wisdom behind leaving Bioware a mere few months before a AAA RPG comes out to work on an unannounced title that will remain unannounced for yet a few more months, if not a full year?

Why now rather than after ME2's release? Because ZeniMax was hiring now. I found their project interesting. I wasn't looking for "any" job, I was looking for one I wanted to do. This one wouldn't be available after ME2.

I've spent the last five years working on Mass Effect games. More than half that time was spent working on projects before they'd been announced, so no big difference there. In that time, all I've been allowed to do was writing, writing, and more writing -- and that's what I was slated to do for ME3, too. BioWare is very big into role specialization. We've been using UE3 for over four years, and I've been asking for the ME writers to get training in Kismet (UE3's scripting system) training for three years. None has ever been offered, because writers are supposed to write -- only tech designers "need" to know how to use Kismet.

I'm bored. I want a job that will let me do a bit of level design and systems design in addition to writing. That's how I got my start at Turbine, and I miss it. And to be frank, I've just been having a grand old time experiencing LotRO as a player the last 18 months. It's rekindled my love of these games. That's why I started spitballing ideas in the Game Design forum.

BioWare was comfortable and secure, but I got into this industry to push envelopes, not punch clocks. My work on Mass Effect no longer excited me.

(I'll admit there are additional reasons, but they're either personal or potentially covered by NDA.)

- Henry Cobb
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1352 on: August 01, 2009, 01:19:23 AM

Its nice to hear that someone out there isn't in it purely for the paycheck.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1353 on: August 01, 2009, 07:36:15 AM

(I'll admit there are additional reasons, but they're either personal ...
Hasn't anyone ever told you don't dip your pen in the company ink!!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Grats on getting out and doing something you like to do instead of something you 'have' to do.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 09:33:02 AM by Merusk »

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #1354 on: August 01, 2009, 09:05:12 AM

Go you!
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #1355 on: August 01, 2009, 09:12:51 AM

Somewhere in Maryland

Once again, I am part of the problem!

Welcome to my neck of the woods!  COME FOR THE HEAT, STAY FOR THE HUMIDITY.    Oh August, I love you so much.

Also, ignore these haters.  Now that baseball season has ended (The O's season ends with the start of training camp), you can watch Maryland go collectively batshit crazy over the Ravens for the next few months.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 09:15:39 AM by JWIV »
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #1356 on: August 01, 2009, 10:19:28 AM

Interesting.  Elder Scrolls MMO?

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #1357 on: August 01, 2009, 11:53:20 AM

Interesting.  Elder Scrolls MMO?

Fallout MMO is my guess.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #1358 on: August 01, 2009, 11:54:05 AM

Actually, I can tell you from personal experience that DS does not block or care about F13. You're in luck! Yes, you'll have full access.

Congratulations and cannot wait to hear how things go!  I may be up in Reston for a week later this year; too bad there are not enough f13'rs in the area for a get together.

Myself, MrHat, and Phildo(before he moved) are in the area. Possibly more people I don't know.

Missed this earlier, but I work out of  Reston. 
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #1359 on: August 01, 2009, 01:31:20 PM

congrats Stormie, you're my favourite red name.  All the best.

PS. if yer a Canuck as well, beware the TN visa.  They are clamping down.  Get an H1B stat.  Cheers.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #1360 on: August 01, 2009, 02:06:32 PM

I missed this also - I am responsible for any outage reporting on the Eastern region of Verizon FiOS during after hours now  ACK!.  So I work hand in hand with the dudes up there.

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #1361 on: October 14, 2009, 06:45:30 AM

oh hai, moneys.

So, no longer a manager of that company. 

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1362 on: October 14, 2009, 06:51:29 AM

Aw. Now where will I go for intartube advice?

Moneys. They are good to have.

- Henry Cobb
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #1363 on: October 14, 2009, 06:57:00 AM

Aw. Now where will I go for intartube advice?

Eh, I still have a job.  Deal was not due to perfomance/discipline.  One of those headcount things. 

You guys hiring? 

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #1364 on: October 14, 2009, 07:22:20 AM

I wondered where this thread had gone.

Belated congratz on following what you want to do Stormwalz.

I am currently enjoying the situation of being promoted to Assistant Manager of my department, but not being able to tell anyone (including the supervisor I leapfrogged) as the paperwork has not gone through yet.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: What do you do and where?  
Jump to: