Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 07:08:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: What do you do and where? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What do you do and where?  (Read 566997 times)
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1295 on: May 18, 2009, 06:53:11 PM

The test was this one: http://www.onetest.com.au/home/AssessmentManagementSystem/CognitiveAbility.aspx

Part of a recruitment process though, so no outside access to the same test/comparison group as me I'm afraid.

Interesting to see how different departments have different processes though. Had to do a couple of test so far, but the IQ ones seems to be the least useful I would have thought. Probably less expensive than running your own test catered to the departments needs though.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #1296 on: May 28, 2009, 07:08:49 AM

This question from their samples really stumped me for some reason...

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #1297 on: May 28, 2009, 07:10:50 AM

lower left to upper right diagonals increase by 1
Rows increase by 2
Columns increase by 3
upper left to lwer right right diagonals increase by 5
missing number in the lower row is 11
missing number in the middle row is 12
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 07:27:43 AM by Hindenburg »

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1298 on: May 28, 2009, 09:13:46 AM

That was the only one I had trouble with, too.  It made perfect sense when I knew the answer, and I was thinking it was four, but it just wouldn't click.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #1299 on: May 28, 2009, 09:28:24 AM

That was the only one I had trouble with, too.  It made perfect sense when I knew the answer, and I was thinking it was four, but it just wouldn't click.

Pretty much.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #1300 on: May 28, 2009, 12:29:54 PM

I looked at it, knew it was four and moved on all in about 2.5 seconds.  Different peoples brains work differently, for it to be a good test it should have some ability to rate you on your strengths while not dinging you too severely for have a weak area or two.  Being extremely good at one specific area is usually more useful than being generally good in most areas.

I'm sure things like being able to parse a paper for grammatical and spelling issues quickly and accurately is as necessary and rare a skill as numeric pattern recognition and is something I can't do without a vast amount of struggle.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
schild
Administrator

Reply #1301 on: May 28, 2009, 12:39:12 PM

Why would it shock anyone that the government cross-section for doing well on this test is piss-poor compared how most of the readers here would do?
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1302 on: May 28, 2009, 06:06:49 PM

This question from their samples really stumped me for some reason...

I found that one really easy also. The troublesome ones of that variety were when you could not clearly pick a pattern within two lines but would have to work out every blank on the square in order to be sure of the one they were asking you about. I missed a few of them being rushed to the end.

The test generally did pattern recognition, vocabulary recognition, and simple numeracy/problem solving, with the more complicated questions combining them together. The ones I had the most trouble with were the "which of these two don't fit" questions, because it's pretty easy to come up with a fuckload of patterns for 6 objects and you'd then have to work backwards and make sure the one that you noticed first was the most obvious one.

Not really sure how accurate or useful such tests are really, but as someone who's always done well on tests of that sort I guess I can't complain.

Why would it shock anyone that the government cross-section for doing well on this test is piss-poor compared how most of the readers here would do?

The ACK! level of piss-poor was what surprised me. Federal government has a reasonably high level of expectation in their recruitment.

schild
Administrator

Reply #1303 on: May 28, 2009, 06:35:59 PM

The ACK! level of piss-poor was what surprised me. Federal government has a reasonably high level of expectation in their recruitment.

What the hell would lead you to believe that?
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #1304 on: May 29, 2009, 04:49:40 AM

Well, a lot of them wear suits.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1305 on: May 29, 2009, 09:43:48 AM

Well, a lot of them wear suits.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #1306 on: May 30, 2009, 10:09:57 AM

I was notified yesterday that paperwork is on the way for an official job offer from a place I interviewed with.  Could be the light at the end of the tunnel for me!
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1307 on: June 09, 2009, 11:14:15 AM

'Sup bitches.  Since it seems I'm going to lose my cush corporate IT job, and I'm not interested in waiting for the other anvil to drop in October, I'm going to take a stab at running my own corporate IT support company.  So far no name or logo, just hopes and dreams.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #1308 on: June 09, 2009, 11:22:27 AM

Saw the paperwork (finally came).  So yeah, I've got a job in July.  Not bad, only took 4 months to get.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #1309 on: June 09, 2009, 01:05:22 PM

'Sup bitches.  Since it seems I'm going to lose my cush corporate IT job, and I'm not interested in waiting for the other anvil to drop in October, I'm going to take a stab at running my own corporate IT support company.  So far no name or logo, just hopes and dreams.

My old boss's boyfriend does that. He has several "on contract" that he is on call with that pays most of his bills, but then he charges an hourly rate for things beyond the on call contract (like setting up new computers or expanding the network). Apparently he only works 2-3 days a week and pulls in a pretty good amount of money.

- Viin
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1310 on: June 09, 2009, 01:29:29 PM

That's what I wanted to hear.  I need to figure out rates and such, luckily I have a partner who has some experience with running a similar business.  My first victim will likely be my in-laws' business. Ohhhhh, I see.  The downside is that I'll have to learn fucking Windows.  And, uh, how to run a business, get clients, etc, I guess but I've seen some Grade-A imbeciles run their own business.  Scary but exciting!

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #1311 on: June 09, 2009, 05:49:53 PM

This is awesome.  I would love to take a stab at being self employeed in this capacity, but the task of setting up a company and running the books has always daunted me.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1312 on: June 09, 2009, 07:02:07 PM

Our fucked up healthcare model makes owning and running a business a daunting task.  When you have to benefit your employees, the cost of labor in the US is pretty scary.  If I didn't have graduate students in my lab working as slave labor, I would only be able to hire about 1/3 my current staff. 

I have nothing but respect for anyone that can make a small business successful.  Especially one with employees. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1313 on: June 10, 2009, 08:14:14 AM

Follow the walmart model and only hire them part time and fuck paying bennies!
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1314 on: June 10, 2009, 11:43:25 AM

This is awesome.  I would love to take a stab at being self employeed in this capacity, but the task of setting up a company and running the books has always daunted me.

I'm plenty daunted.  On the other hand, the alternative is emboldening me.  Plus I have a partner with some experience here and my in-laws run their own business.  If nothing else, I'll start charging my mother-in-law for all the shit I do for them. Ohhhhh, I see.

Follow the walmart model and only hire them part time and fuck paying bennies!

Oh, you don't have to hire part-time to skip out on providing health care.  I'll have to get some for my family, though.

Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #1315 on: June 26, 2009, 06:03:23 AM

I taught my last class in Prague today. 

This is a good thing. 
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1316 on: June 26, 2009, 06:37:02 AM

I taught my last class in Prague today. 

This is a good thing. 

Not enjoying Prague?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #1317 on: June 26, 2009, 07:30:07 AM

I love Prague  Heart  The winters are rough - we had about 12 hours of sunlight for January and Febuary and the surrounding months weren't much better.  But almost everything else about the city is amazing.  If I had the right job, I could be very happy here. 

But yeah, pretty burned out on teaching English, and sick of the European EFL industry in general.  It's stressful and low-paying and I've been doing it long enough that it's not really challenging or interesting anymore.  I don't even want to *think* about grammar for the next few months.

I've got a plane ticket back to the States for mid July... until then, I'll be drink Czech beer and travelling around central Europe.  Once I get back in the States, I'll be teaching sailing and windsurfing at the same place I've been doing it for the last 3 summers  awesome, for real
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #1318 on: July 02, 2009, 11:27:19 AM

I'll be teaching sailing and windsurfing at the same place I've been doing it for the last 3 summers  awesome, for real

Sounds awesome.

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #1319 on: July 06, 2009, 08:30:13 AM

I love Prague  Heart  The winters are rough - we had about 12 hours of sunlight for January and Febuary and the surrounding months weren't much better.  But almost everything else about the city is amazing.  If I had the right job, I could be very happy here. 

But yeah, pretty burned out on teaching English, and sick of the European EFL industry in general.  It's stressful and low-paying and I've been doing it long enough that it's not really challenging or interesting anymore.  I don't even want to *think* about grammar for the next few months.

I've got a plane ticket back to the States for mid July... until then, I'll be drink Czech beer and travelling around central Europe.  Once I get back in the States, I'll be teaching sailing and windsurfing at the same place I've been doing it for the last 3 summers  awesome, for real

Sounds like a good move.  Where will you be teaching at?
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #1320 on: July 06, 2009, 11:30:28 AM

The Hoofer Sailing Club in Madison, Wisconsin.  As the link says, we're the second largest inland sailing club in the country, and we've got a pretty nice fleet

deb
Terracotta Army

Reply #1321 on: July 06, 2009, 05:16:42 PM

I develop gambling-related software here in Northern Europe. I did all kindsa programs for cell phones before, but got bored/frustrated and decided I wanted to do something that's ermh... closer to my heart.

dawnaw
Terracotta Army

Reply #1322 on: July 09, 2009, 02:53:20 AM

Although the thread seems to have meandered a little this is what where and who...

DawnAW is IainC's wife
She works as a Localisation Coordinator for a games developer in Germany
She has also been a Community Manager, Customer Service Manager and a QA Tester (all in the games industry)
She is also outspoken, American, slightly sarcastic, a lurker and susceptible to mushiness when it comes to 4 footed cute things.

She also seems to be stuck in third person...
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #1323 on: July 09, 2009, 06:41:56 AM

Yes, endie was wondering about whether you missed out the bit about being a wrestler in your spare time.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #1324 on: July 09, 2009, 09:35:43 AM

Although the thread seems to have meandered a little this is what where and who...

DawnAW is IainC's wife
She works as a Localisation Coordinator for a games developer in Germany
She has also been a Community Manager, Customer Service Manager and a QA Tester (all in the games industry)
She is also outspoken, American, slightly sarcastic, a lurker and susceptible to mushiness when it comes to 4 footed cute things.

She also seems to be stuck in third person...

Is that how you and Iain met?

I've landed an unpaid internship at a financial risk assessment software company called Algorithmics. I'm an HR Coordinator. Whee! Work experience.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1325 on: July 09, 2009, 10:01:29 AM

Congrats on work experience!  You should still deliver drinks to elderly women poolside on weekends.  You'll make a bundle.

Welcome to Dawn who sounds like me - except for the being employed, living in Germany, lurking, and being stuck in the third person.  Although after yesterday's oral surgery, I'd rather be stuck in anyone except me.  (not in a pervy way)

Oh, and I'm married to a different Scottish bloke than IainC.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1326 on: July 09, 2009, 10:20:15 AM

IaninC is married to a scottish bloke also?

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1327 on: July 09, 2009, 12:16:33 PM

You should still deliver drinks to elderly women poolside on weekends.
C'mon, you're not that old yet. Maybe next month.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1328 on: July 09, 2009, 05:07:05 PM

If either of you were sat next to me, I would pinch you really hard.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1329 on: July 09, 2009, 08:28:11 PM

If either of you were sat next to me, I would pinch you really hard.

No pinch.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: What do you do and where?  
Jump to: