Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:28:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: General Booze thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: General Booze thread  (Read 50945 times)
Furiously
Terracotta Army

on: January 24, 2011, 09:52:51 PM

So I've been drinking Patron for about three years since a ten year boycott of tequila due to a horrid experience with Cuervo in college.

Couple weeks ago I tried Milagro which amazed me. It has a strong front end taste and then a totally smooth finish.

I've been trying more traditional margaritas lately (3 parts tequila 2 parts orange liquor 1 part lime juice.) Figured someone else here probably was a fan of the stuff and maybe I'm missing something stellar.

Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 10:10:39 PM

Can't stand the stuff.  Got talked into doing a shitload of tequila shooters with a friend once.  All I remember is throwing up in front of my girlfriend's house, and then waking up in the car at 5 am in a Taco Bell parking lot with the engine running.  Haven't touched the stuff since.

Only brands I've ever heard anything about are Cuervo, and Patron.  Most of the stores around here don't carry anything of better quality than that.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 10:27:27 PM

Start exploring the different kinds: Silver, Reposado and Anejo.  Make sure it is always 100% Agave (this is the problem most people end up with tequila as they drink some 49% corn syrup shit like Cuervo Gold and get terrible hangovers).  Heradura is one of my favorite brands that is readily available in all three types and I really love their Hacienda Del Cristero if you can find it (it's a silver but double distilled and is delicious even straight which many silvers aren't).

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 04:55:10 AM

I only drink Tequila on ice, or strained through ice to give it a chill.  Patrone is good stuff.  I also like Don Julio, but when I'm traveling on business and it's on the company AMEX, Patrone on ice is the way to go.

At home, it's Cuervo gold, or I go with the Crown Royal on ice.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 05:41:39 AM

Abagadro is pretty much on the mark, but I find that 100% agave tequilas can taste a bit oily and often upset my stomach easily - YMMV.

Sauza is the brand I tend to go with - their Commerativo Reposado and Anejo are quite nice, as are their 100% agaves (with the above caveat).

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 05:52:34 AM

I hate the shit especially that clear shit Patron they try to pass off as quality in bars so probably not a good idea to listen to me but I've found that if you are spending good money on tequila it can become something better than the nastiest alcohol that exists. I only enjoy the Anejo or a very good Reposado because they are insanely smooth and aren't guaranteed to give me a hangover which is not true of any clear/blanco/young tequila.

Also it better be 100% agave or I'm not touching it just to be safe.

All that assumes that we're drinking it straight as if it were a real drink not making it into a slushy or buying dumb sounding shots.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 06:19:40 AM

The taste of tequila and the vomit have close associations in my neural pathways due to long periods of cause/effect correlation.  It's generally best if I avoid the stuff.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 08:00:59 AM

Worm or GTFO.  It gets you to the spirit world.  Just kidding, of course.  Tequila with worm is shitty tequila.  It still gets you to the spirit world, though. 

I didn't get to go, but the last time my wife was in Seattle they went to a tequila bar, I think The Matador?  They had a lot of fun, but pricey. 

Here's a pic of their menu: 

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 10:19:47 AM

I was eyeing up some tequila in a bottle shaped like a rifle the other day, because it looked like fun.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 10:44:24 AM

I was eyeing up some tequila in a bottle shaped like a rifle the other day, because it looked like fun.

It's crap. Trust me on that.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 12:34:08 PM

Worm or GTFO.  It gets you to the spirit world.  Just kidding, of course.  Tequila with worm is shitty tequila.  It still gets you to the spirit world, though. 

I didn't get to go, but the last time my wife was in Seattle they went to a tequila bar, I think The Matador?  They had a lot of fun, but pricey. 

Surprisingly - the tequila bar in Disneyworld isn't that horrible. They have a nice wide selection and the chasers they have are amazing.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 12:45:26 PM

I stopped at "tequila bar in Disneyworld".

Really?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 12:47:57 PM by SnakeCharmer »
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 12:58:15 PM

I stopped at "tequila bar in Disneyworld".

Really?

They cater to ALL their customers. I am fairly surprised they do not have an opium lounge, but I blame the federal regulations concerning smoking opium for that.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 02:23:47 PM

I wonder, do they serve the tequila shots in "toothpick holders" at Disneyworld?   awesome, for real

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 03:04:56 PM

Tequila doesn't have a worm.

The stuff with the worm is Mescal.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #15 on: January 25, 2011, 03:59:34 PM

to all you hating on tequila because of a bad experience with cuervo, that is like saying you hate beer because of a bad experience with natural lite Ice.

Expect to pay a decent amount of money for a nice sipping tequila.  I prefer Corralejo's anejo for sipping and their Reposado if I am adding lime juice and some agave necter.  Those are decent tequila's that aren't that hard to find that don't require you to break the piggy bank open to buy them.

I hated tequila until I was in my early 30s when a co-worker pulled my head out of my ass and explained to me the difference between the shit you drank in college, and what is really out there.

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: January 25, 2011, 04:31:53 PM

It's crap. Trust me on that.

Yeah, I figured. There is something about spirits in novelty bottles that is quite compelling though  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #17 on: January 25, 2011, 04:41:47 PM

Yeah, I figured. There is something about spirits in novelty bottles that is quite compelling though  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

There certainly is...

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: January 25, 2011, 06:43:45 PM

Here's a pic of their menu:
El Agave in San Diego's old town district is like that.  Amazing selection of tequilas.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: January 25, 2011, 07:48:30 PM

Tequila doesn't have a worm.

The stuff with the worm is Mescal.

I stand corrected.  My bad, good sir.
Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: January 25, 2011, 08:02:32 PM

The taste of tequila and the vomit have close associations in my neural pathways due to long periods of cause/effect correlation.  It's generally best if I avoid the stuff.
This.
I'll be honest though. I dont "sip" any hard liquor. I drink beer and wine.
All liquor tastes like rubbing alcohol to me unless I mix it up in a ginger/pineapple mixed drink or some kind of slushy.
Oh or vodka with red bull.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: January 26, 2011, 09:33:45 AM

This.
All liquor tastes like rubbing alcohol to me unless I mix it up in a ginger/pineapple mixed drink or some kind of slushy.

Most likely because you are drinking stuff from the bottom shelf.  I made an amazing discovery after college, if you spend more on premium booze, sometimes it tastes better and you don't get sick.

The Milagro I mentioned is triple-distilled and for the Reposado, aged for 6 months (4 more than needed to be called a Reposado) in oak barrels.  I feel bad using it in a margarita, it's so tasty.

Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #22 on: January 26, 2011, 01:57:52 PM

This.

the difference between top shelf and rot gut can be night and day tastewise, I wouldn't dismiss out of hand all hard liquor, it could just be you haven't found your poison yet.

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #23 on: January 26, 2011, 03:14:05 PM

If all liquor tastes like rubbing alcohol to you, either you're only drinking the cheap stuff or your tastebuds are broken.  (The latter is certainly possible -- you might be hypersensitive to the taste of alcohol and unable to taste anything else when it's present above a certain concentration.  Sucks to be you if that's true.)

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #24 on: January 26, 2011, 03:25:26 PM

I miss liquor.  Damn reflux.

-Rasix
Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: January 26, 2011, 09:28:28 PM

If all liquor tastes like rubbing alcohol to you, either you're only drinking the cheap stuff or your tastebuds are broken.  (The latter is certainly possible -- you might be hypersensitive to the taste of alcohol and unable to taste anything else when it's present above a certain concentration.  Sucks to be you if that's true.)

Possibly so. But when people talk about the hints of peat (scotch) or caramel (bourbon) or whatever crazy thing they claim they taste in distilled spirits all I taste is "HOLY SHIT MY THROAT AND MOUTH ARE ON FIRE!"

In my defense nearly everyone I know IRL who drinks straight liquor tells me they had to build up a tolerance to it. My questions is always (same from beer thread) why do I want to drink something I have to build a tolerance to?

Maybe Im broken.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: January 27, 2011, 05:11:14 AM

Nah, not broken. Just a sissy.  awesome, for real
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: January 27, 2011, 10:20:50 AM

Most of us didn't get started drinking straight scotch, man.  It's not so much tolerance, but start with beers and work your way up.  Get into some Belgians and red wines, that will get your taste buds both used to the alcohol and stimulation.  From there move on up to mixed drinks and cocktails.  By then you'll be ready for a try at a glass.  Also, not all this in one night, mind you.  The fiery burning is all part of the taste now for me.

Or you can do like I did and have a "night of the 7/7s", "night of the $5 Jack&Coke" and "night of the Jager" (Of which the deer on the front of the bottle possessed me).  Deer possession = insta-tolerance.  For me.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #28 on: January 27, 2011, 10:50:55 AM

When I was drinking, I preferred scotch on the rocks, splash of water. Did I start on that? Absolutely, but I was in the UK, 18, and stupid.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: January 27, 2011, 10:56:16 AM

Well, color me corrected.   awesome, for real
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: January 27, 2011, 11:00:49 AM

I drink a fair amount of tequila, my wife's family is Mexican and makes it, mostly just for Mexican market tho they sell some $200 bottles of super premium stuff up here in english north america, I wouldn't buy it tho, you are mostly paying for a fancy crystal bottle and leatherbound case. They used to be the supplier of Cabo Wabo but were dropped when Campari bought it and then changed to a crappier/cheaper supplier so avoid Cabo Wabo.

I wonder where Patron is getting all their money? Cuz they have been advertising like crazy the past year or two. According to some superficial searches I did they are independent, but man are they spending some serious cash in US promotions. Couldn't find who their US distributor is.

1800 is same company as Cuevro and is their real tequila brand and it is pretty good. You should also be able to find Don Julio all over (owned by Diageo) and mostof their stuff is solid. Milagro is good too, all over Mexico.

Anyways as others have said, dont drink silver (blanco) tequila straight up it's not that tasty like most pure, clear liquor, but "reposada" is getting better and "anejo" is delicious.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 11:03:45 AM by Speedy Cerviche »
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #31 on: January 27, 2011, 04:39:47 PM

yeah patron is becoming the Absolute vodka (marketing wise) of the 2000s.  I know a trader joes that stopped selling it because they had so much problems with theft, while they still carried Don Julio /boggle cause nobody was stealing it.

I think Patron's anejo is decent, but you can find better in that price range.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #32 on: January 27, 2011, 05:03:17 PM

Possibly so. But when people talk about the hints of peat (scotch) or caramel (bourbon) or whatever crazy thing they claim they taste in distilled spirits all I taste is "HOLY SHIT MY THROAT AND MOUTH ARE ON FIRE!"

I once poured a coworker a dram of my favorite 18-year-old scotch, and watched in horror as he took it all in one shot and then made a face.  After I finished sobbing uncontrollably I poured him another and asked him for FUCK'S SAKE to try sipping it instead of gulping it this time.  

He was shocked to find that good whisky tastes better when you, you know, take the time to taste it.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 05:07:54 PM by Samwise »

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: January 27, 2011, 05:43:24 PM

At home, it's Cuervo gold, or I go with the Crown Royal on ice.

Fine then, just leaves more of the good stuff for me.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #34 on: January 27, 2011, 07:38:14 PM

I once poured a coworker a dram of my favorite 18-year-old scotch, and watched in horror as he took it all in one shot and then made a face.  After I finished sobbing uncontrollably I poured him another and asked him for FUCK'S SAKE to try sipping it instead of gulping it this time.  

He was shocked to find that good whisky tastes better when you, you know, take the time to taste it.

I poured my friend a 12 year scotch that was relatively expensive because he wanted to try some. When I noticed him later on holding the drink, he had mixed it with Coke.  ACK!

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: General Booze thread  
Jump to: