Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:42:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Magic the Gathering Tactics - SOE - PC (F2P Online) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Magic the Gathering Tactics - SOE - PC (F2P Online)  (Read 4080 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

on: January 20, 2011, 01:53:04 PM

So SOE just released a new Magic the Gathering game, called Magic the Gathering Tactics (you download it for free here). The idea is that you make a spellbook a bit like a deck in Magic, then fight it out in a Tactics style game on various boards. You can purchase cards in booster packs for Station Cash. I thought, well, this could be an interesting game and it's free to play so let's give it a try.

Verdict: Don't. I don't know if it was a server lag issue or just the way the game is set up, but it is EXCRUCIATINGLY slow. Each player and each monster gets an individual turn in which they can usually do one action (move, attack enemies, cast spells if you have enough mana for multiple casts). So let's say you have 4 or 5 monsters out total, in addition to the two player avatars. The only time you can view your cards is during your avatar's turn. Every time a turn ends, the game just seems to sit there doing nothing for anywhere from 15-30 seconds. So you cast a spell, then move... wait 15-30 seconds. It's your opponent's turn. 15-30 seconds before his action is revealed to you, then another 15-30 seconds before his turn is over. Then one of your creatures has a turn. Finish that turn, wait 15-30 seconds. Now it's one of the opponent's creature's turn. It does its thing after 15-30 seconds, then the whole thing pauses for another 15-30 seconds before anything happens.

By this time, you should be well and truly asleep. I wanted to like it, but it was terrible.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 02:00:35 PM

Wow, those are some horrible game mechanics.  What's the justification for:

a)  Not allowing to see your own shit between turns
b)  Not having any off-turn interaction

You'd think SOE would've learned from other great strat. titles to absolutely stay away from locking down the game between turns like that.  Not to mention, it's kind of against the base Magic ruleset to play that way.    I just dont get it, there has to be a justifiable reason for the design choice.  Head scratch

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 07:50:07 AM

Laziness? I have no idea. I didn't follow the development, didn't even find out about it until about a week ago.

According to the forums, the lag between turns is actual server lag, so should be fixable. But I don't think it'll help much.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 07:47:46 AM

I'm not caring much about the server lag, just the mere fact I can do nothing on someone else's turn.  The game feels absolutely nothing like Magic, which is a mistake seeing as how people really just wanted an MtG version of 'Eye of Judgement.'

I will say this though, it's better than Pox Nora, which for many is enough to at least try it out.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Magic the Gathering Tactics - SOE - PC (F2P Online)  
Jump to: