Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:51:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Kings Speech 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Kings Speech  (Read 5190 times)
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

on: January 15, 2011, 08:51:30 AM

The Kings Speech Trailer 2010 HD

Just been to see this, Colin Firth is going to get all the credit but Geoffrey Rush was pretty damm good as well.  Even the Mrs liked it.

Rare to see something live up to the hype, 95/96% on rotten tomatoes.

The rumours are completely true. The superlatives are completely justified. Colin Firth really does give the performance of his life as the Queen's father, George VI.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 10:03:01 AM

What about Helena Bonham-Carter as Queen Mum? I'm still not quite sure that she's a good fit but I haven't watched it yet.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 10:14:26 AM

She was excellent too, if I was going to fault anyone it would be Guy Pearce, bit of an odd choice.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 03:16:40 PM

She was excellent too, if I was going to fault anyone it would be Guy Pearce, bit of an odd choice.

I agree. Thought the film was great. Got a few laughs over the Australian bits with my audience too.
UnsGub
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 10:43:43 PM

Took my parents to this over the holidays.  Very good movie.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 08:07:01 AM by UnsGub »
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 03:39:12 AM

It's worth pointing out how accurate the film is, apart from skipping over appeasement, Colin Firth said (I'll spoiler as it's a line of dialogue after the speech)
schild
Administrator

Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 01:50:42 PM

Didn't enjoy it. Movie for old people.

Colin Firth was exceptional.

Still, a movie for old people and nowhere near as good as the rest of the stellar shit in 2010.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 02:20:41 PM

I'm not sure what the deal is with Guy Pearce.  He was good in some good movies (LA Confidential, Memento), was the best thing going in some meh movies, and then seemed to not be able to get a job for years.  Quite like Tim Roth.
schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 02:37:30 PM

Tim Roth.
I do not think Tim Roth is the person you're thinking of, he's been working solidly outside of 1999. But he had just come off Legend of 1900 which was so exceptional I'll give him the bye.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 02:44:50 PM

Tim Roth.
I do not think Tim Roth is the person you're thinking of, he's been working solidly outside of 1999. But he had just come off Legend of 1900 which was so exceptional I'll give him the bye.

He is, and he's back now.  He hit a real rough patch after the mid-'90s (fantastic perfomance in Rob Roy, by the way) where you either didn't see him or at best he was playing villains in shitty movies.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 06:42:48 PM

Didn't enjoy it. Movie for old people.

Never seen so many old people in a cinema, two ladies sitting in the row next to me must have been in their 70's.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 12:40:57 AM

Saw this over the weekend.  Fantastic.  Though I'm biased since I'm a bit of a stutterer and I thought Colin Firth did an amazing job portraying the condition.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 09:40:22 AM

Really? I wouldnt have guessed, as I dont think I've ever seen you stutter on here.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 11:46:54 AM

awesome, for real

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #14 on: January 24, 2011, 12:01:05 PM

Tangent:

By happenstance, Sam, I have just learned your avatar syncs up with "Television Rules the Nation" by Daft Punk pretty well.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #15 on: January 27, 2011, 06:10:45 AM

I saw this last night. Geoffrey Rush makes everything better. (Not to take away from Colin Firth, of course - it's good to actually see him act.)

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: February 02, 2011, 06:28:11 AM

I loved it.  Thought it was great.  It's wishful thinking to hope that this indicates a swing to more thoughtful movies by Hollywood but I'll take what I can get.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: April 26, 2011, 07:43:05 AM

Just saw this last night on PPV.
Absolutely amazing movie. Superbly acted by all involved and easily Colin Firth's best acting to date.

Highly highly recommend seeing this one.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: April 26, 2011, 12:22:03 PM

The camera work was impressive as well, the closeups to make you feel the uncomfortableness/terror of speaking. It's one of the few films I have ever watched and thought, "Hmmm... this might be in a film class in a few years."

Of course Nanny Mcphee was on TV on Easter and I just sort of raised an eyebrow.

Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: April 26, 2011, 04:19:47 PM

The camera work was impressive as well, the closeups to make you feel the uncomfortableness/terror of speaking. It's one of the few films I have ever watched and thought, "Hmmm... this might be in a film class in a few years."

Of course Nanny Mcphee was on TV on Easter and I just sort of raised an eyebrow.

But even in Nanny McPhee, Colin was awesome.

He is one of the few actors that I think truly can loose themselves in a role. ie they give themselves over to the role versus playing themselves in the role ala Hugh JackmanTom Cruise, who while enjoyable to watch is an utter despicable actor and Scientology couching leaping nutter, is Hugh Jackman in every movie he appears in.

Edit: For Lorekeep, better?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 05:23:53 PM by Sand »
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: April 26, 2011, 04:41:03 PM

He is one of the few actors that I think truly can loose themselves in a role. ie they give themselves over to the role versus playing themselves in the role ala Hugh Jackman, who while enjoyable to watch, is Hugh Jackman in every movie he appears in.

Now why you gotta rag on my man Hugh when there's a perfectly good Tom Cruise still on this planet.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #21 on: May 21, 2011, 06:49:28 PM

Just watched this with my parents, I really enjoyed it. I guess I'm an old person. :(

God Save the Horn Players
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Kings Speech  
Jump to: