Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:28:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2011 College Football 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2011 College Football  (Read 212327 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1190 on: January 10, 2012, 07:04:12 AM

I think Lee thought he was going out there in the 3rd quarter. The fans thought he was going out there in the third quarter. AND LES PULLED HIM BACK!

I can still see the confused look on Lee's face. They wouldn't put him in there after Jefferson threw literally one of the worst interceptions I've ever seen in football. I'm not making that up and that's not hyperbole. That interception was worse than any Tony Romo fuckup I've ever witnessed. He had broken clear of the pocket, was turning to run. His "receiver" was turning upfield to block for him. So he flips the ball fucking underhanded right to a linebacker.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1191 on: January 10, 2012, 08:27:29 AM

I'd also like to add: congratz Bama on your retribution. You played a hell of a game, and kudos to McCarron on a hell of a well managed game and Saban for coaching a perfect title game.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1192 on: January 10, 2012, 08:34:46 AM

Yep, congrats to Bama as well. The game was also the lowest rated in BCS championship history, edging out the 2002 Rose Bowl. So more history there.

Some articles:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=dw-wetzel_alabama_lsu_bad_bcs_title_game_010912

Awful Title game fitting end to bad season – Dan Wetzel (Yahoo Sports)

It was a college football season besieged by scandal and controversy, week after week of NCAA infractions, conference realignment back stabbings and sexual molestation charges. Jeremy Shelley delivered five field goals for Alabama but the legacy of the Tide's victory may be that it forced the sport to change.And it got a championship game befitting of the unpleasantness. Alabama won the BCS national title Monday, defeating LSU, 21-0, in a tough-on-the-eyes field goal-fest. The championship will taste just as sweet in Tuscaloosa, and Alabama’s defense should be toasted forever. For fans of college football uneasy with the matchup to begin with, though, this was a dud of a conclusion.

TV executives were predicting this would be the lowest-rated BCS title game ever. It came less than a week after the Clemson-West Virginia Orange Bowl was the lowest-rated BCS bowl of all time.
There is no excuse for LSU’s terrible offensive execution, but the illogical month-long-plus layoff between the end of the regular season and the title game couldn’t have helped.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/37004/lsu-slowed-by-sputtering-offense

Sputtering offense ends LSU’s title hopes – Edward Aschoff (ESPN SEC)

LSU finally succumbed to all the adversity. For a team that fed off the negativity, the Tigers weren’t ready for Alabama. There was no game-changing play from the Honey Badger, the defense didn’t force any turnovers, there was no emotion in the second half and the offense never showed up.

For the defense, Monday must have hurt the most. They hunkered down near their own end zone and played well enough to win.

In the end, LSU’s defense just couldn’t play both ways for the Tigers.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/post/bcs-championship-was-alabamas-win-worth-watching/2012/01/10/gIQAGBf8nP_blog.html

Was Alabama’s win worth watching? – Matt Brooks (Washington Post)

For fans of hard-nosed, defensive football — and fans of the Crimson Tide, of course — last night’s title game was a masterpiece. But for the rest of the country, a game that featured as many punts (12) as points scored before the final few minutes left a lot to be desired. It was LSU who didn’t come to play and deprived the primetime audience of any semblance of excitement beyond the first half. Jordan Jefferson was dreadful, the running game averaged only 1.4 yards per carry and national coach of the year Les Miles failed to take any chances, even with his team falling further behind.

http://blogs.wsj.com/dailyfix/2012/01/10/you-cant-call-the-bcs-indefensible/

You Can’t Call the BCS Indefensible – Jeremy Gordon (Wall Street Journal)

Yes, this was an anticlimactic rematch of another anticlimactic field-goal-o-rama when LSU beat Alabama 9-6 in November to all but seal up the SEC regular-season crown. But at least it’ll put an end to the debate of whether or not a close LSU loss could have prompted a split national championship between the two teams. In the final Associated Press ballot, Alabama received 55 first-place votes, with one for LSU and four for No. 3 Oklahoma State. With that settled, attention can be turned toward a more pressing question: how to end the BCS ranking debate once and for all. During the offseason, college football leaders will meet to discuss how to tweak the system in anticipation of a BCS contact that expires in 2014. The Sporting News’s Matt Hayes expects everything to get shaken up. “Years from now, this BCS National Championship Game won’t be remembered so much for Alabama’s utter domination of LSU as it will the beginning of radical change in college football,” he writes. “A national playoff is coming, everyone. It’s only a matter of what it looks like.”

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/01/alabama-lsu_produces_lowest_tv.html

Alabama-LSU produces lowest TV rating for a national championship in BCS Era – John Solomon (Birmingham News)

Alabama loved a rematch. Not so much of the rest of the country. It turns out most television viewers didn't want to see Alabama-LSU again, at least not an uncompetitive rematch.Overnight ratings for Alabama's 21-0 victory over LSU were the lowest for a national championship in the 14-year history of the BCS. The All-SEC affair, the first championship pairing teams from the same conference, drew a 13.8 overnight rating on ESPN. The previous record low was a 14.3 for Miami-Nebraska at the 2002 Rose Bowl.

Terracotta Army

Reply #1193 on: January 10, 2012, 11:03:58 AM

In other news... Bama is voted #1 in the AP. So much for a season's body of work actually mattering. This came down to a single game and LSU's run can go fuck itself and its schedule. And yet, this is the argument AGAINST a playoff in that a playoff would put less importance on the season's schedule. Well what the fuck just happened here? Bama's only loss? Doesn't matter... LSU's season... nope. This was about one game and nothing else.

I am hoping this is more a point to institute a playoff by giving the finger to this past season, but I highly doubt it.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1194 on: January 10, 2012, 11:04:58 AM

Yeah LSU's overall schedule was better and given a split on the season I think there's a very strong argument to be made for still voting LSU #1. I would have, at least.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1195 on: January 10, 2012, 11:12:05 AM

I would have if LSU put a point on the board.

It's going to take a long time to forget that mess.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1196 on: January 10, 2012, 02:27:42 PM

Alabama got lucky.   Ohhhhh, I see.
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #1197 on: January 10, 2012, 04:42:31 PM

If you would have voted for LSU you to be number one after not even being able to get past the thirty five yard line, and even then to head straight back and then fumble at the fifty, I'm going to have a hard time respecting that opinion.

I am a life long Bama fan. Have been since the Bear and the wishbone when I was a kid.

That game was a turd for two reasons. Bama could not move the ball inside the 30. LSU was insipid. Other than that. you're looking at 42 - zip. A turd game for different reasons.

There is no damn way LSU earned any modicum of respect after that travesty.

First question of the Les Miles Post Game: Mr. Bobby Hebert

Awesome job channeling the indignation of every LSU fan, if not actually acting like a reporter.

Terracotta Army

Reply #1198 on: January 10, 2012, 06:20:26 PM

If you would have voted for LSU you to be number one after not even being able to get past the thirty five yard line, and even then to head straight back and then fumble at the fifty, I'm going to have a hard time respecting that opinion.

I am a life long Bama fan. Have been since the Bear and the wishbone when I was a kid.

That game was a turd for two reasons. Bama could not move the ball inside the 30. LSU was insipid. Other than that. you're looking at 42 - zip. A turd game for different reasons.

There is no damn way LSU earned any modicum of respect after that travesty.

First question of the Les Miles Post Game: Mr. Bobby Hebert

Awesome job channeling the indignation of every LSU fan, if not actually acting like a reporter.

Goes to my point though. The committee rails against a playoff because they say it will cheapen the season and wins from the season, but in this regard - LSU's season was basically forfeit on the precipice of that single game. So a single game erases an entire season of achievement and thus makes it completely arbitrary. So which is it? (not directed at you... more rhetorical) 

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #1199 on: January 10, 2012, 06:40:39 PM

Oh, I can't say any of that is wrong.  The system as it stands now led to this. I happen to believe a four team playoff would have had a similar result, but to see it play out would be infinitely preferable.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #1200 on: January 10, 2012, 08:11:59 PM

I read an oped bit on CNN.com not too long ago that pointed out the potential academic fallout of a playoff system. Keeping in mind that they're student athletes, it struck a chord.

On one hand, I get the point. On the other, signing up for a sports scholarship comes with other obligations/restrictions which include less time for studying.

Here's the oped.

In other news, my iPhone has learned to auto correct "rtr" to "RTR."

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1201 on: January 10, 2012, 08:22:25 PM

Please, if the money was there for a playoff, we'd have a playoff. The reason we don't is because of entrenched set of people who want to make sure the bowls keep forwarding them their paychecks before they agree to anything.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #1202 on: January 10, 2012, 11:07:40 PM

Doesn't seem to completely screw over the players in the lower divisions of football that all have playoffs.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1203 on: January 10, 2012, 11:23:33 PM

Doesn't seem to completely screw over the players in the lower divisions of football that all have playoffs.

Or in the not so marquee sports that have games and tournaments all through finals and the break between semesters for that matter.

I can assure you no one in this town complained about the academic harm to the girls on the volleyball team as they had to play in the final four during finals week.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #1204 on: January 11, 2012, 04:39:39 AM

Yes, I do realize the life long bama fan combined with the second bit of detail didnt really fit in there... I was trying to not hurl big bombs of stupid at Ingmar when the inner yokel that all southerners have got riled at his statement.  Ohhhhh, I see.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1205 on: January 11, 2012, 06:43:26 AM

I honestly don't understand the fascination with a playoff system.  I keep hearing that it will give you a "real champion" by letting the best team win the title, but the NCAA basketball tournament would show a different side of this.  Does anyone really believe that NC State was the best team in 1983?  Or that Villanova was the best team in 1985?  Or that Kansas was the best team in 1988?  Or that Arizona was the best team in 1997?  Or that Syracuse in 2003 or Duke in 2010 were the best teams?  No, these were teams that got hot at the right time but had sucked it up for a decent portion of the regular season.  A prime example of this is the 1990-1991 UNLV basketball team which should be recognized as the best team to ever play college basketball, but they are now largely forgotten due to a tight loss to a not nearly as good Duke team.  

College football has had some split champions (which to my mind equates a tie), but that doesn't bother me a bit.  In fact, it keeps things interesting by continuing the discussion long into the future.  Nobody can even remember the other teams in the 1988 tournament in basketball, and often forget the fact that Oklahoma was an absolute beast that year with Stacey King, Mookie Blaylock and Harvey Grant.  Oklahoma would have bested Kansas in a 7 game series, hands down.  So you say you remedy that by having a +1 system.  That leaves out any number of good teams that would have had just as legitimate a claim to being in that +1 system as Stanford and Oklahoma State.  So you go to an 8 game system.  There are several ways you can go with this (straight rankings versus major conference champions), but each way leaves out some major players:  minor conference teams like Boise State vs. conference champions like WVU vs. Alabama because they weren't their conference champions.  Unless you get to a 16 team playoff the idea that you have made the system fair and that "anyone can win" gets thrown out the window because the little guys get left out.  When you get to a 16 team playoff you are adding in an additional 4 games to the season which is going to take away from regular season home games for big schools (read as $$$$$$) and increase the chances for injury for these guys as you go to a more pro-like schedule.  

Also, I don't think the comparison with FCS works.  These schools are much smaller and don't depend as much on football revenue for making things run in their athletic departments so the political end of things really isn't there.  They've also never had the emphasis on the regular season and, frankly, nobody gives a shit about FCS football.  A more appropriate comparison might be the NFL playoffs.  I don't think that you can reasonably tag on an NFL style post-season to the end of a college football season and make it work without decimating and invalidating the regular season for a great number of teams.  And due to the decreased talent level in the NCAA I think it would be just a matter of time until we had another 2 or even 3 loss team as your national champion.  
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 06:45:00 AM by ghost »
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1206 on: January 11, 2012, 06:53:48 AM

A champion does not have to be the "best team" for it to be valid and a playoff is a much less subjective way of choosing a champion than the fucking popularity contest used in college football. Even sports like gymnastics that are subjective in their scoring systems use some form of head to head playoff to determine a champion.

Saying you need to make sure the "best team" wins the title is a fucking cop out.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Terracotta Army

Reply #1207 on: January 11, 2012, 07:14:18 AM

I honestly don't understand the fascination with a playoff system.  I keep hearing that it will give you a "real champion" by letting the best team win the title, but the NCAA basketball tournament would show a different side of this.  Does anyone really believe that NC State was the best team in 1983?  Or that Villanova was the best team in 1985?  Or that Kansas was the best team in 1988?  Or that Arizona was the best team in 1997?  Or that Syracuse in 2003 or Duke in 2010 were the best teams?  No, these were teams that got hot at the right time but had sucked it up for a decent portion of the regular season.  A prime example of this is the 1990-1991 UNLV basketball team which should be recognized as the best team to ever play college basketball, but they are now largely forgotten due to a tight loss to a not nearly as good Duke team.  

College football has had some split champions (which to my mind equates a tie), but that doesn't bother me a bit.  In fact, it keeps things interesting by continuing the discussion long into the future.  Nobody can even remember the other teams in the 1988 tournament in basketball, and often forget the fact that Oklahoma was an absolute beast that year with Stacey King, Mookie Blaylock and Harvey Grant.  Oklahoma would have bested Kansas in a 7 game series, hands down.  So you say you remedy that by having a +1 system.  That leaves out any number of good teams that would have had just as legitimate a claim to being in that +1 system as Stanford and Oklahoma State.  So you go to an 8 game system.  There are several ways you can go with this (straight rankings versus major conference champions), but each way leaves out some major players:  minor conference teams like Boise State vs. conference champions like WVU vs. Alabama because they weren't their conference champions.  Unless you get to a 16 team playoff the idea that you have made the system fair and that "anyone can win" gets thrown out the window because the little guys get left out.  When you get to a 16 team playoff you are adding in an additional 4 games to the season which is going to take away from regular season home games for big schools (read as $$$$$$) and increase the chances for injury for these guys as you go to a more pro-like schedule.  

Also, I don't think the comparison with FCS works.  These schools are much smaller and don't depend as much on football revenue for making things run in their athletic departments so the political end of things really isn't there.  They've also never had the emphasis on the regular season and, frankly, nobody gives a shit about FCS football.  A more appropriate comparison might be the NFL playoffs.  I don't think that you can reasonably tag on an NFL style post-season to the end of a college football season and make it work without decimating and invalidating the regular season for a great number of teams.  And due to the decreased talent level in the NCAA I think it would be just a matter of time until we had another 2 or even 3 loss team as your national champion.  

Good points. However, this season proves that the regular season actually doesn't count as much as the NCAA would like to think it does. This was your +1 game without the bowl-off. I get the fact that any team can get hot at the right time and win it all (Steelers prove that time and time again  Ohhhhh, I see. ) but the trick is to whittle it down to the 4 (or 8 or 16) teams that are the top in the BCS. These are the four best and as such, are all within the realm of acceptance in being crowned the Crystal. If one wins and they have two losses, so be it. The point of the playoff is to pit them all against each other and whoever wins, gets it. But to get into the +1 bowl-off, you have to be the best in that selection group- THE top four in the country - which means the season still matters, at least as much as it mattered this year (which was basically nil). Now it will get hairy around picking those top 4, but if the 4th seed comes in with 3 losses, then everyone behind them would have been shittier throughout the season. If they win out, so be it. As long as there was selectivity in those final 4 teams, good on them and maybe they weren't as bad as everyone thought. I do see the point in both sides and I am playing devil's advocate here (albeit very badily) but the point is that the BCS has never sat well with people since it started and it has been gaining damning criticism every year. This year seem to be a huge flashpoint since the perfect storm happened and validated a lot of the criticisms waged against the bowl series.

And ffs, even NASCAR went to a god damn playoff system. I mean, fucking NASCAR.  why so serious?

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1208 on: January 11, 2012, 07:40:01 AM

Also, I don't think the comparison with FCS works.  These schools are much smaller and don't depend as much on football revenue for making things run in their athletic departments so the political end of things really isn't there.  They've also never had the emphasis on the regular season and, frankly, nobody gives a shit about FCS football.

Ok you're simply just incorrect here, and I'm going to assume it's because it's just because nobody gave you the facts on FCS football. A LOT of people care about FCS depending on the region. Hell, North Dakota State just won the FCS, and they have over 10,000 students on that campus. The stadium holds 19,000. The largest booster club raises $2M a year in money for the football team. Montana's stadium holds 25,000 people. They also pull in $2M a year in money for their athletics. Keep in mind the whole university makes $12M a year. So football accounts for 17% of their gross.

People care and those Universities care. Compare it to Florida where the University only gets 12% of it's scholarship support from football. Montana gets 14% from football. It matters. Their overhead is much smaller so more of the money actually goes to the rare student athlete we love to hear about.

naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #1209 on: January 11, 2012, 08:32:13 AM

Of the 2 professional leagues, I prefer the NFL. But whereas my interest in bowl games is near nil (and I used to enjoy them under the "old" system where PAC-10 winner went to Rose Bowl, SEC winner to Sugar Bowl, etc.…), a playoff setup would be an enormous boon. 8 slots would be ideal -- 1 for each "major" conference victory, with conference "title" games extending it to 16. Shorten the season if necessary to enact.

The day after the BCS championship game, I tuned into sports radio (there are 4 radio stations in Phoenix metro area devoted to sports talk, almost rivaling the fire & brimstone Christian fare on the AM band) and on every show, there was no talk about the game whatsoever (granted, was not a memorable affair by any stretch), but just speculation and banter about playoff system and how the existing setup leaves 99% unfulfilled. And the TV ratings bear this sentiment out also.

If 7-4 teams and 6-5 teams are slighted from bowl participation, maybe there can be "bowl" games for these teams too, played for honor and pride, and give boosters and backers an excuse for a wintertime southernly sojourn.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1210 on: January 11, 2012, 09:34:57 AM

Also, I don't think the comparison with FCS works.  These schools are much smaller and don't depend as much on football revenue for making things run in their athletic departments so the political end of things really isn't there.  They've also never had the emphasis on the regular season and, frankly, nobody gives a shit about FCS football.

Ok you're simply just incorrect here, and I'm going to assume it's because it's just because nobody gave you the facts on FCS football. A LOT of people care about FCS depending on the region. Hell, North Dakota State just won the FCS, and they have over 10,000 students on that campus. The stadium holds 19,000. The largest booster club raises $2M a year in money for the football team. Montana's stadium holds 25,000 people. They also pull in $2M a year in money for their athletics. Keep in mind the whole university makes $12M a year. So football accounts for 17% of their gross.

People care and those Universities care. Compare it to Florida where the University only gets 12% of it's scholarship support from football. Montana gets 14% from football. It matters. Their overhead is much smaller so more of the money actually goes to the rare student athlete we love to hear about.

Is that why the FCS section on ESPN is so popular?  You and I both know there is a difference between some students getting somewhat excited when their team makes the playoffs and everyone in Alabama going batshit crazy every day over football.  Maybe you're right about the money.  I don't know.  

A champion does not have to be the "best team" for it to be valid and a playoff is a much less subjective way of choosing a champion than the fucking popularity contest used in college football. Even sports like gymnastics that are subjective in their scoring systems use some form of head to head playoff to determine a champion.

Saying you need to make sure the "best team" wins the title is a fucking cop out.

I think that it is implicit in the concept of choosing a national champion to try and have the best team reach the top.  I would also say that the BCS comes closer to getting it right than any tournament that isn't a best of 7 series (which is the pinnacle for choosing the best team, i.e. champion).  So your argument is essentially, "everyone else has it, so should football"?  I don't buy that at all. 
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 09:44:08 AM by ghost »
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1211 on: January 11, 2012, 10:56:06 AM

Before you get all "OH BUT THE FCS ISN'T POPULAR ON ESPN!" Here are the numbers on the App State v. Montana semi-final game from last year compared to early Bowls in ratings.

New Orleans Troy-Ohio 1.53
Armed Forces Army-SMU 1.55
Little Caesars Fla. International-Toldeo 1.63
Independence Air Force-Georgia Tech 1.68
Gator Michigan-Mississippi State 1.71
Military Maryland-East Carolina 1.72
Fight Hunger Boston College-Nevada 1.87
FCS Semifinal Appalachian State-Montana 1.87

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1212 on: January 11, 2012, 11:29:42 AM

My trolling failed?  why so serious?

In any case the BCS gave us a shitty game that nobody wanted to see. It isn't offering us anything that the old traditional bowl system didn't; just go back to that until you figure out a playoff, NCAA.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1213 on: January 11, 2012, 12:29:04 PM

I would love to go back to the traditional bowl system.  The Rose Bowl has been violated by the Big 12.   ACK!

Also, you're making the assumption that a playoff would absolutely give us a game that everyone would want to see.  I seriously doubt Boise State versus Oklahoma State would be a big draw.
WayAbvPar

Reply #1214 on: January 11, 2012, 12:31:14 PM

No one wanted to watch Houston vs Cincy over the weekend in the NFL either. But the game meant something other than a circle jerk for boosters and extra practices. The winner moved on to play.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1215 on: January 11, 2012, 12:52:39 PM

I think that it is implicit in the concept of choosing a national champion to try and have the best team reach the top.  I would also say that the BCS comes closer to getting it right than any tournament that isn't a best of 7 series (which is the pinnacle for choosing the best team, i.e. champion).  So your argument is essentially, "everyone else has it, so should football"?  I don't buy that at all. 

Why does college football require this special snowflake treatment where the "best teams" absolutely have to be the ones getting the title?

Outside of the NBA, Baseball, and the NHL every sport on earth (including the NFL, the World Cup, and every damn Olympic sport) has their champion crowned by a single elimination competition of some sort.

By what you said, you are effectively devaluing every Super Bowl, every high school state champion, and every other college championship because the "best" team may or may not have been crowned because they played in a single elimination tournament instead of the fucking travesty that is the highly subjective college football poll/BCS regime.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1216 on: January 11, 2012, 02:22:52 PM

No one wanted to watch Houston vs Cincy over the weekend in the NFL either. But the game meant something other than a circle jerk for boosters and extra practices. The winner moved on to play.

The game pulled a 15.3

I mean really, let's keep things in perspective. A shitty wild card playoff game with two teams that didn't crack a 40 in their own towns still managed to come up with bigger numbers than 4 of the BCS champ games.

WayAbvPar

Reply #1217 on: January 11, 2012, 02:40:16 PM

Because it meant something. Herein lies my point. If it was a glorified exhibition instead of a playoff game, what would the numbers look like?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1218 on: January 11, 2012, 02:50:55 PM

Because it meant something. Herein lies my point. If it was a glorified exhibition instead of a playoff game, what would the numbers look like?

When they played it in the regular season it was blacked out in Cincy, and pulled a 25 in Houston.

WayAbvPar

Reply #1219 on: January 11, 2012, 03:18:57 PM

Still not analogous to a bowl game, since regular season games are meaningful. The outcome of any bowl other than the NC bowl is completely meaningless.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1220 on: January 11, 2012, 03:27:28 PM

The game pulled a 15.3

I mean really, let's keep things in perspective. A shitty wild card playoff game with two teams that didn't crack a 40 in their own towns still managed to come up with bigger numbers than 4 of the BCS champ games.

The viewership in the NFL is much larger than the NCAA.  The NFL is the biggest thing on the planet.

Still not analogous to a bowl game, since regular season games are meaningful. The outcome of any bowl other than the NC bowl is completely meaningless.

I don't see why this is a problem. 
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 03:41:40 PM by ghost »
WayAbvPar

Reply #1221 on: January 11, 2012, 03:44:12 PM

I am not surprised.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1222 on: January 11, 2012, 03:45:04 PM

I would say they're pretty meaningful to the alumni and fans of the participating schools.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1223 on: January 11, 2012, 03:45:59 PM

So you want me to compare it to the pro bowl?

7.7 rating

WayAbvPar

Reply #1224 on: January 11, 2012, 04:18:47 PM

I would say they're pretty meaningful to the alumni and fans of the participating schools.

Are they really though? I am a pretty avid UW fan, and I can barely remember the bowl wins and losses after a week or two. If I attended it in person or was a student or something I can see it being special, but I just don't think anyone really cares other than on game day and the week after when the coaching staff gets shitcanned for being terrible  awesome, for real

As for the Pro Bowl- don't ask me to explain it. I can't believe ANYONE watches it. When I was a kid I looked forward to all star games in all the sports like they were Christmas, and I still quit watching the Pro Bowl when I was about 10. Half speed football is an abomination.

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2011 College Football  
Jump to: