Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 06:54:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Browser-Based Titles  |  Topic: Civ-ville 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Civ-ville  (Read 16773 times)
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: July 07, 2011, 07:14:08 AM

I think the idea is that they're 'highly' encouraging you to join a civilization so you can pool resources and coordinate objectives.

You can go solo, for sure, but being part of a Civ really unlocks some decent stuff, such as crowd-sourcing on the mini-games for bonus culture and science.  Was weird at first as I was swapping tiles for the culture picture and saw some parts being done automatically, and then realized it was actually other players in the Civ doing the same thing.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: July 07, 2011, 07:46:57 AM

Yea I joined one kind of at random (japanese because I'm a huge weeaboo), but haven't seen many benefits from it so far.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: July 07, 2011, 02:06:04 PM

Yea I joined one kind of at random (japanese because I'm a huge weeaboo), but haven't seen many benefits from it so far.

Japanese here too.  We should hang out  Love Letters

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: July 07, 2011, 04:57:16 PM

I've been trying for two days to successfully leave and join a different civilization and failing.  Game is seriously flaky and janky in some ways still.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: July 07, 2011, 08:36:02 PM

I've been trying for two days to successfully leave and join a different civilization and failing.  Game is seriously flaky and janky in some ways still.

It breaks on me there, too.

And I hate Flash games -- the jerkiness, non-smooth animation…

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: July 07, 2011, 09:58:48 PM

According to their forums the earlier games (<200) have dramatically less bugs. I'm on a >600 numbered game and pretty much nothing works correctly.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: July 08, 2011, 07:30:56 AM

Mine works ok, there's just not very much to do. Resources come in at a snails pace, even if you use the harvest things you get every hour, so advancement seems to take forever. Our civ got in a battle last night, but by the time I got online there were no slots left for units so I didn't get to see how that worked. There aren't even a lot of buildings to build; once you've built everyone a house and built/fully upgraded all the production buildings, what are you supposed to do? Just spam guard towers so you can see more of the giant, useless map?

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: July 08, 2011, 10:16:40 AM

A friend of mine created a Greek civ, then lost it overnight to a bunch of friends who got together while he was asleep. I don't know if I like that.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #43 on: July 08, 2011, 01:29:18 PM

A friend of mine created a Greek civ, then lost it overnight to a bunch of friends who got together while he was asleep. I don't know if I like that.

You'll like it even less when you realize that all it takes to get a Facebook is an e-mail account and all it takes to get an e-mail account is the time to sign-up.  All those "friends" were probably one person.  You see that a lot on the competitive browser games

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #44 on: July 08, 2011, 01:34:09 PM

Ah yes, the Travian "Wake up with no city" issues.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: July 08, 2011, 03:45:28 PM

Eww, thanks for reminding me.  swamp poop

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: July 08, 2011, 06:13:43 PM

Well all the civilizations are public (or at least, the ones in my game seem to be) so they probably just thought it'd be cool to be in the Greek civ. Unless you mean he somehow got invaded and his shit destroyed. But if he just found himself no longer in charge of the civ it's because promotions are performance based; research a lot of tech? Suddenly you're the Science Minister. The same goes for all positions within the civ; if that's what happened it's just because the new guys were (are) doing better at the game than him. I haven't seen a way (or tried, really) to create a private civ, although there are some civics that protect your civ from leeches joining you.

This has kind of grown on me; it's pretty good for playing once or twice a day, with the minigames when you have a bit more time. I just wish there were more buildings available, or the ability to have more than one city, or something. The starting screen indicates that you can possibly be playing more than one game at a time, but that's not what I want; I just want a second (and third, and fourth...) city within THIS game.

schild
Administrator

Reply #47 on: July 12, 2011, 12:09:24 PM

Civ-Ville is not quite the title I would have chosen for this thread.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: July 12, 2011, 02:01:35 PM

Civ-Ville is not quite the title I would have chosen for this thread.

Well at the time we didn't really know what it was going to be...just what we knew of FB games in general  swamp poop

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: July 22, 2011, 12:48:30 PM

For the three of you still playing this, big update Monday

http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?111358-CivWorld-update-for-Monday-July-25

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: August 12, 2011, 10:10:35 AM

How is this game shaping up? I found myself mildly amused by it for a week, but then IRL got busy.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: September 29, 2011, 09:41:07 AM

If anyone's still interested in this, they're finally adding full-custom game support in the next build.  This means individual players can create and host their own private games, and invite only those people they want to invite.

Oh, yeah, the catch...the catch is that you first have to earn 200 Fame Points, which you get from just playing the game regularly and winning.  After that, it costs 50 CivBucks (read: RMT CivWorld currency) to create a custom game  swamp poop

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Browser-Based Titles  |  Topic: Civ-ville  
Jump to: