Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:39:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Space Thread 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 47 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Space Thread  (Read 509381 times)
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #1435 on: December 11, 2020, 06:04:55 PM

Only one of three Raptor engines working while it tried to land.  Needs better brakes.

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #1436 on: December 31, 2020, 09:17:00 AM

I wrote a quick overview of what 2021 brings in space (rockets, rovers, probes)

The thread has over 30 images, so instead of copy/paste here is the link:

https://twitter.com/AuerSusan/status/1344655344992210945

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #1437 on: December 31, 2020, 05:31:45 PM

Time for end of/beginning of the year space lists?

I enjoyed Tim Dodd's (The Everyday Astronaut) Astro Awards this year. Some surprises in how he ordered things, but I appreciated his rationales. And for those who avoid him due to his characteristic exuberance, he was pretty quiet and mellow for this webcast.

Lots of good video clips of all the neat things that happened spacewise this year too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2f0vqgYdLc
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #1438 on: January 01, 2021, 07:21:15 AM

Time for end of/beginning of the year space lists?

I enjoyed Tim Dodd's (The Everyday Astronaut) Astro Awards this year. Some surprises in how he ordered things, but I appreciated his rationales. And for those who avoid him due to his characteristic exuberance, he was pretty quiet and mellow for this webcast.

Lots of good video clips of all the neat things that happened spacewise this year too.

The video is interesting, but 53 minutes long, buuuut there are timestamps for each of the top 10.
Informative too. CrewDragon being #1 wasn't a suprise, but did not know, for example, that the ISS got a new airlock, made by a private company.

=====

Some outtakes from the Soyuz launch I mentioned upthread.

Source is this time-lapse video (duration 1 minute), which itself is worth watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=molMEKLwYaw

calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #1439 on: January 01, 2021, 08:13:44 AM

Interesting Soyuz detail:

Soyuz doesn't stand on the launchpad, but is suspended over it. Held in place by the four main support arms. Here seen during pad construction:

Below are triangular guides (yellow-black) that provide extra stability and two additional arms (black) for umbilical lines. (The platform was only present during construction).

Here with a clear view into the flame deflector:

And here with rocket attached. The system is the same for all Soyuz launchpads, but the "house" is a mobile gantry that is a Kourou speciality.
(Main reason for it is to allow vertical integration of satellites, which a lot western sats require.)

The way the primary support arms work is typically Russian fool-proof:
Once the launcher builds thrust the load on the support arms decreases, allowing them to move outwards by the force of counterweights located at their base.

Counterweighs during their installation:

Because of the characteristic opening movement this setup is called the "Tulip".

Here the mobile gantry in action (sorry for the potato quality):

As you can see, rocket is cut of at the neck. The fairing, and inside that the satellite, is missing.
They are added in the next step (vertical integration). On a Baikonur Soyuz the launcher would be rolled out in it's complete configuration.

To close, bonus fun fact:
Ariane 6 will have a similar mobile gantry, only this one is 90 meters tall (the Soyuz is 52m) and weights 8200 tons.

Hope that was interesting smiley
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 08:20:35 AM by calapine »

Hammond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1440 on: February 18, 2021, 09:44:35 AM

So today is the scheduled landing of the Perseverance rover on Mars. Starting at 11 am Pacific standard time is the start of the Landing Coverage with the landing windows around 1 PM. Much like the Curiosity landing they are going with the bonkers sky crane landing with a added twist of much worse terrain. Should be fun.

Nasa's site (the animation is bonkers)

https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/

Youtube live feed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w23gC0WhXdI&ab_channel=SPACE%28Official%29
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1441 on: February 18, 2021, 12:29:43 PM

Welp, so much for doing anything work related for the next half an hour.

edit: thankfully uneventful and successful. Pretty intense in the lead up... way more than I thought.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 01:11:11 PM by 01101010 »

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #1442 on: February 18, 2021, 07:11:17 PM

Good image that shows Terrain Relative Navigation system did a good job:

« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 07:13:14 PM by calapine »

calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #1443 on: February 18, 2021, 07:30:51 PM

Here is a zoomed out version. (Note the two upper craters just being small dots in this image)

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #1444 on: February 22, 2021, 11:32:33 AM

Wow. Watching the Monday press conference right now. Look at those landing videos! Cameras everywhere on Perseverance!

Here's to the start of years and years of science and exploration from this rover!

DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #1445 on: February 22, 2021, 12:30:35 PM

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1446 on: February 22, 2021, 12:35:14 PM

Hammond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1447 on: February 23, 2021, 07:49:09 AM

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #1448 on: March 01, 2021, 10:52:44 AM

So a super cool announcement video from "When we say we're going to do something, we do it" Rocket Lab.

Plus apparently when they say they are not going to do something, they do that too, with a side of hat.

awesome, for real

Gotta love the Peter Beck mic drop at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agqxJw5ISdk
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1449 on: March 01, 2021, 11:12:20 AM

I was waiting for a THIS. IS. SPARTA! in the first part of that video.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1450 on: March 03, 2021, 03:59:14 PM

SpaceX Starship SN10 test flight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODY6JWzS8WU
https://www.spacex.com/vehicles/starship/index.html

It looks pretty cool coming down "sideways". Then after the successful landing and they cut the stream it blew up. Oops.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/03/spacex-lands-starship-sn10-rocket-after-a-high-altitude-flight-test.html
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #1451 on: March 03, 2021, 06:44:35 PM

At some point it would be nice if they stopped with the rapid unscheduled disassembling, but at least it was definitely landed before it blew up.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1452 on: March 05, 2021, 01:31:22 AM

That went down in the report as "A 100% successful test of the landing system."  why so serious?

Hic sunt dracones.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1453 on: March 05, 2021, 07:45:50 AM

https://www.twitch.tv/nasa

Am watching a spacewalk right now and they are attaching a module to the ISS. So they are screwing bolts in with a spanner. IN SPACE!!!!!!

Actually pretty cool.

Hic sunt dracones.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #1454 on: March 06, 2021, 12:25:47 PM

Am watching a spacewalk right now and they are attaching a module to the ISS. So they are screwing bolts in with a spanner. IN SPACE!!!!!!

Actually pretty cool.

Second glove tear in a row though. Got to admire the (heavily trained in) calm of both Glover and Rubins. But there is a team on the ground right now probably working the weekend to change the design and/or procedure a bit I bet.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #1455 on: March 28, 2021, 07:55:19 PM

Actually pretty cool.
IIRC, something as simply as tightening a bolt in space is a PITA.

You either use a special tool, or make sure you're anchored properly otherwise you just turn yourself around.

My favorite "problems that were a surprise" fact was when NASA went to upgrade the laptops used on the Shuttle back in the 90s. They kept burning out. Turns out the model they were trying out didn't have enough active cooling. Worked just fine on the ground, but the second *heat no longer rose* (because zero g), they burned out. Cooling wasn't sufficient, so heat built up around the processor and cooked them.

So much of basic design just takes *gravity* as a given.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #1456 on: May 02, 2021, 01:48:49 PM

A Dragon named Resilience returning to Earth, as seen from the ISS.

Photo credit Thomas Pesquet
--just one of lots of great pics he's already posted.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 01:57:41 PM by Mandella »
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1457 on: May 02, 2021, 02:09:29 PM

A genuinely amazing image.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #1458 on: May 03, 2021, 10:03:14 AM

Oh wow, that is an amazing photo.  In love

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1459 on: May 04, 2021, 11:33:12 AM

On the same lines, Part of a Chinese rocket is going to burn up in the Earths atmosphere soon, but parts of it will hit the surface at some point. Social media has been having fainting spells about it but an astrophysisist said it would be the equivalent of a small plane crash scattered over 100 miles, and will likely hit the ocean in any case.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/chinese-rocket-land/

On April 29, China launched the main module of its first permanent space station (the module is called the Tianhe) using a 100-foot-tall Long March 5B rocket. Here’s how The Associated Press covered the event:

Minutes after the launch, the fairing opened to expose the Tianhe atop the core stage of the rocket, with the characters for “China Manned Space” emblazoned on its exterior. Soon after, it separated from the rocket, which will orbit for about a week before falling to Earth, and minutes after that, opened its solar arrays to provide a steady energy source.

In other words, as part of China’s space program, the Long March 5B rocket temporarily entered orbit in late April and its core was indeed falling back to Earth with its gravitational pull. Instead of following a predetermined path, however, the portion of the space vehicle was traveling in an “uncontrolled” manner — without an exact landing spot or course in mind.

“Huge rocket looks set for uncontrolled reentry following Chinese space station launch,” tweeted Andrew Jones, a journalist for SpaceNews.

Furthermore, the Aerospace Corporation, a U.S. research and development center, performed its own analysis of the object’s orbit and predicted that it would reenter the Earth’s atmosphere on May 10, plus or minus roughly two days.

However, exactly where that will happen — or how much of the rocket would disintegrate while descending to Earth — remains unknown.

SpaceNews, a credible source of news about the global space industry, reported on April 30 (one day after the rocket’s launch from the Wenchang Launch Center on the island of Hainan) that while much of the object will burn up, some debris could remain in tact and rain anywhere between the northern latitude lines of New York, Madrid and Beijing and southern locations of Chile and Wellington, New Zealand.

“Where and when the new Long March 5B stage will land is impossible to predict. The decay of its orbit will increase as atmospheric drag brings it down into more denser,” the article by Jones read. “The most likely event will see any debris surviving the intense heat of reentry falling into the oceans or uninhabited areas, but the risk remains of damage to people or property.”
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 11:36:58 AM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1460 on: May 05, 2021, 09:21:50 AM

I'm old enough to remember people thinking Skylab was going to kill a lot of people when it fell.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1461 on: May 05, 2021, 10:35:46 AM

It actually could have caused some damage and fatalities--it broke up much lower than NASA expected and adjustments intended to increase the chances of it crashing mostly over ocean didn't fully work. They got lucky that it hit an area of Australia with very low population densities.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #1462 on: May 05, 2021, 01:55:08 PM

When I think back to Skylab, I'm amazed at how little progress we have made since then.  I used to watch SPACE 1999 when I was a kid and imagined by the time I was this old we would  have people living in space full time.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #1463 on: May 05, 2021, 02:05:07 PM

When I think back to Skylab, I'm amazed at how little progress we have made since then.  I used to watch SPACE 1999 when I was a kid and imagined by the time I was this old we would  have people living in space full time.
Likely has something to do with profit.

There's really no profit in "space living" right now.

I guarantee you though, if someone discovers a billion tonnes of rare metals on the moon or something, you will have space condos sprouting like weeds in lunar craters so fast it will snap your head clean off trying to keep up.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #1464 on: May 05, 2021, 02:44:19 PM

Space is cramped, miserable, deadly, and expensive. Your bones and muscles atrophy without gravity, you get irradiated without the Van Allen belts, there's no food, no water, no breathable air. Even if we suddenly did find out there was a huge surplus of rare metals on the moon we'd have to figure out how to get all the mining and refining equipment there and get all the metal back... for cheaper than just finding more of the stuff here on earth. And if you succeed, there's a good chance you flood the market for whatever few purposes that particular mineral has and the price goes down.

Don't hold your breath.

Literally, if you're stuck in a vacuum it's very important you exhale vigorously.

There will likely never be profit in space living. There are significantly nicer completely uninhabited places here on earth already. Don't expect tourists to want to spend more than a week trapped in a space hotel, and don't expect good word of mouth once they realize what a shitty visit all that money got them.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #1465 on: May 05, 2021, 03:26:41 PM

A lot of those problems become very tractable if you capture a small asteroid, preferably an amalgamate of C and M types, or one of each. A 30 meter asteroid is more building material and organics than a thousand Starship Heavy launches, and it's downhill all the way.

--Dave

Edit: Point is, there are quite a few things we know we could make in space that would be useful and valuable on Earth. But at a cost of thousands of dollars per pound just to get the raw materials into orbit, none of them are worth it. Starship brings the costs down by an order of magnitude, and some of them might become minimally viable. But if your materials cost drops by another order of magnitude, and your overhead does the same because you're getting your CHON organics on site, then all manner of things are possible.

Mars is fucking hopeless. There is no possibility that anything we find there will be worth the costs of hauling it back, nor that a self sustaining colony could exist. The moon's worse.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 03:37:52 PM by MahrinSkel »

--Signature Unclear
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1466 on: May 05, 2021, 03:45:54 PM

The moon's future is a strip mine, probably with robots, and a rubbish dump. There's nothing there worth preserving.

Hic sunt dracones.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1467 on: May 05, 2021, 04:04:48 PM

The moon's future is a strip mine, probably with robots, and a rubbish dump. There's nothing there worth preserving.
The only thing that has been suggested as worth going to the moon for is He3...which is based on scifi pseudoscience that it might be easier to reach viable fusion power with that as a fuel, that we won't achieve fusion power without it, and that the power output will be so immense it will be worth the expense and difficulty of sifting millions of tons of lunar regolith to extract a few pounds of a gas that is damned hard to separate from the *other* trapped hydrogen and helium.

Other than, you've got high levels of titanium and aluminum, which are nice since you don't find much in asteroids...but your best case scenarios for refining and launching them off the moon are more expensive than buying them on earth and spending a few hundred per pound on Starship.

And if you've got great honking chunks of nickel-iron in orbit already, you don't really need that much titanium or aluminum. Every part of an asteroid would be useful, as mass shielding again radiation if nothing else.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1468 on: May 05, 2021, 04:28:36 PM

It's much much easier to launch things into the rest of the solar system and beyond from the Moon. So if we can figure out a way to create rocket fuel on the Moon with few dependencies on supplies being sent up from Earth that would make making trips to Mars and other places a lot easier.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1469 on: May 05, 2021, 04:43:53 PM

It's much much easier to launch things into the rest of the solar system and beyond from the Moon. So if we can figure out a way to create rocket fuel on the Moon with few dependencies on supplies being sent up from Earth that would make making trips to Mars and other places a lot easier.

You know where it's even easier to launch things away from Earth's gravity well? Orbit. You know where you don't find much carbon or nitrogen? The moon. Carbon and nitrogen in the Apollo samples was in the range of 100-230ppm. You're going to need a lot of power and go through a lot of rock.

What are you going to use for an energy source? Solar? For 2 weeks at a time, your refinery does nothing. But in orbit, once you're a ways from Earth, you have 24/7 sunlight.

Your energy cost of bring anything up from the surface of the moon is only 1/10 of getting it off Earth, but if you can't source it locally, your cost of materials is launching it from Earth, then landing it.

Gravity wells are poison to the economics of space exploitation. You want to stay out of them if you can.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 47 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Space Thread  
Jump to: