Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:41:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Space Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 47 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Space Thread  (Read 509302 times)
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #1190 on: October 11, 2018, 07:58:15 AM

They've been given the go ahead by NASA to launch their first manned flights in June (SpaceX) and August (Boeing) respectively.  But yeah, who knows what delays can pop up.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1191 on: October 11, 2018, 08:01:24 AM

They've been given the go ahead by NASA to launch their first manned flights in June (SpaceX) and August (Boeing) respectively.  But yeah, who knows what delays can pop up.

Unmanned test flights.

And SpaceX said they would have unmanned test flights in like 2017.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #1192 on: October 11, 2018, 09:16:04 AM

Wouldn't worry too much as it's not a design issue. This Soyuz configuration flew 65 times so far without fail.

Also, when Soyuz 7K-T had an in-flight abort in 1975, the next capsule flew 6 weeks later. (Yes, I know, cold war blah blah, just providing some context)

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #1193 on: October 11, 2018, 09:23:17 AM

Secondly, there is always the option to extend the current crews stay (currently due to return in December)

Thirdly, while avoided if possible, even leaving the station unattended until all launch issues are fixed and returning later is an option.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1194 on: October 11, 2018, 09:31:07 AM

The issue is entirely that the Russians have been having serious QA/QC issues for the last several years.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #1195 on: October 11, 2018, 09:33:43 AM

Unmanned test flights.

And SpaceX said they would have unmanned test flights in like 2017.

https://www.outerplaces.com/science/item/18932-nasa-flight-with-spacex-rocket-june-2019

Manned test flights from what I'm reading.  Unmanned test flight is supposed to be later this year.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #1196 on: October 11, 2018, 10:23:05 AM

Unmanned is probably slipping to early 2019 from what I am hearing.

Nevertheless SpaceX is ahead of the Boeing Starliner, which previously was slated to fly ealier.It suffered a valve malfunction in the launch abort system during hot-fire test, now the parts have to be resigned.

Sort of annoys me to be honest, don't want to see fuckface Musk all smug in the news.

Edit: Talking about Musk, SpaceX just lost out on cool billion $ from the Air Force.

DoD awarded 3 contracts to develop a successor to Atlas V and Delta IV. (SpaceX already did a few launches for them but currently can't fulfil requirements for all type of missions.)

Winners were ULA (Boeing+Lockheed) Vulcan: Methane powered first stage using the BE-4 engine currently under development by Jeff Bezos Blue Origin, plus an upper stage with the good old RL-10 LH2/LOX engine. Biggest contract 987 million.

the Northrop Grumman (previously Orbital ATK) OmegA. First two stages are solid rocket boosters, with 3rd stage, again RL-10 powered.

Blue Origins New Glenn monster with 7 BE-4 engines in the first stage and BE-3U LH2-LOX 2nd stage.

Vulcan is a safe bet, based on Atlas heritage, but both Omega and New Glenn are more risky choices, early in development. So I am quite surprised that SpaceX didn't make the cut. As I said, F9 currently can't fulfill the requirements, the payloads for example currently can only be integrated in a horizontal position, not vertical as the AF wants. And more. BUT all those changes are doable and less risky than Orbital building it's own clean sheet design. Same for Blue Origin.

So quite surprising the AF went with those anyway. One possibility is that Musk went full retarded and offered the BFR instead of the Falcon family, to which the AF said of course no thanks. Total speculation, but what was the reason?

SpaceX fanbois now say "They didn't want the money anyway!", which is nonsense. SpaceX successfully bid for the first part of this competition and now entered again, obviously intending to win. And it's not like they would say not to 1bn of free development money. Especially now as the Starlink constellation, supposed money maker for BFR, is running into issues: One of two test satellites' propolusion failed, leaving it stuck in it's deployment orbit since February. 2nd rumor says they are having serious issue with the planned antenna.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 10:48:05 AM by calapine »

calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #1197 on: October 11, 2018, 12:46:20 PM

I'll start a new series

"Cool things from the United Kingdom....IN SPACE!"

A few weeks ago Surrey Satellites successfully tested their REMOVE Debris satellite. Which released a small cubesat and then netted it. In short a tech-demo for a debris removal system later to be used on larger satellites. The advantage of a net, as opposed to a grapple, is that it's usable for spinning satellites that are out of control.

Pretty neat, huh? If you want to know more, instead of me rambling, just watch these videos;

Remove Debris NET Experiment Highlights (music)

Extended Remove Debris Mission Video (background info)

---

Also, this one of the reasons I am so pissy about that Brexit thing. From Surrey's press release:

See? we need each other! Now, I am pretty convived there will be some UK-EU agreement to continue co-operation (anything else would be insane). But it still sounds pretty much like cutting your dick off and saying "It's fine, we can stitch it back on". Maybe yes..but it wont be the same!

calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #1198 on: October 11, 2018, 12:57:04 PM

Soyuz accident

We have a highly likley lead.

It looks like one of the oxygen depressurisation valves, which are opened pyrotechnically to jettison the boosters from the core stage, failed to open. Which could (did?) lead to the booster hitting the core stage.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 01:09:11 PM by calapine »

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #1199 on: October 11, 2018, 01:12:58 PM

Well, since I wouldn't want to be labeled a "SpaceX fanbois" by Calapine for looking at why SpaceX did not get granted a load of money this round by the AF, I'll quote from noted fanbois Eric Berger over at Ars Technica:

"For one, SpaceX has already built and flown a rocket that can reach all of the Air Force's reference orbits葉he Falcon Heavy. Moreover, the Falcon Heavy is already certified for the Air Force and has won contracts. Air Force officials may also feel that, through NASA contracts for commercial cargo and crew, the government already facilitated development of the Falcon Heavy謡hich uses three Falcon 9 rocket cores.

It also depends upon what SpaceX bid for. The government would have been more inclined to fund development of an advanced upper stage for the Falcon Heavy or vertical integration facilities. But it seems like the military would not have been as interested in the Big Falcon Rocket, which is more booster than it deems necessary at this time. So if SpaceX bid the BFR, that is one possible explanation for no award.

Regardless of the reasons, the lack of an award for SpaceX means that the successful, innovative, and individualistic company from California will now face three companies receiving military support as it competes with them in the global launch industry. As ever, the battle will be epic and captivating."

Full article here.

Bear in mind that, aside from vertical integration SpaceX already has robust, and AF certified, launching systems in place. They really don't have anything in development except the BFR, and the AF is already invested heavily in the Raptor engine for that.

This is one round of grants. SpaceX didn't get any more money here since they didn't have anything the Air Force thought needed developing for their needs -- as simple as that.

As for the failed Soyuz very happy for the crew to have made it down safely! That must have been a gut wrenching (and squeezing considering the gees) ride.

And no, nothing wrong with the Soyuz design, but damn if there hasn't been something wrong with the manufacturing and assembly of all the old Soviet designs lately.

calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #1200 on: October 11, 2018, 01:37:47 PM

Well, since I wouldn't want to be labeled a "SpaceX fanbois" by Calapine for looking at why SpaceX did not get granted a load of money this round by the AF, I'll quote from noted fanbois Eric Berger over at Ars Technica:

Look, I was a bit tongue in cheek. Sheeesh. But it's funny you said Eric Berger, because I do consider him quite biased regarding SpaceX.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? Will read the article later.

Edit: And despite my snarky tone, which is mostly to make my posts more interesting, I do try my best not be pro- or anti- any side & give due where it's appropriate and critic all sides. The dick-waving in spaceflight annoys me to no end and I'd hate to fall line that same trap just in reverse.

To update on Soyuz, looks it was as I posted above is correct. Interfax.ru feed through Google translate:

« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 01:42:15 PM by calapine »

calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #1201 on: October 11, 2018, 02:26:57 PM

ESA astronaut Alexander Gerst, currently on the ISS, captured images of the Soyuz failure:

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1202 on: October 11, 2018, 03:34:30 PM

Berger is a "Musk is the messiah" type. His weather stuff is good though.

But even he stated in the article that the AF is mandated by the policy that drives these grants to ensure at least two potential launch suppliers for every reference orbit and SpaceX already has launchers (that the AF already buys slots on) that hit those orbits. The only thing SpaceX is developing that is new is the BFR which is not suited for what the AF wants.

Though it could also be that the grant committee said "Musk is an unstable freakazoid. Maybe we should see if we can get some more options."  why so serious?

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #1203 on: October 11, 2018, 06:50:25 PM

When looking at SpaceX, try not to judge it via Musk.  He's the big figurehead, but its grown into its own beast and is actually being run (very well) by an engineer nerd girl:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-07-26/she-launches-spaceships-sells-rockets-and-deals-with-elon-musk

That article is behind a paywall, but if you haven't been glancing at Bloomberg this month, you get a few free views of anything.  I thought that was an interesting summary of what Gwynne Shotwell is doing and has done.  She's basically SpaceX at this point, as Musk spreads himself thin going batshit on twitter over all his various companies and projects now.  The whole company is staffed with top tier engineers and talent now, who are doing good things all on their own.

So root for that when you see SpaceX doing well.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 06:53:05 PM by Teleku »

-Stephen Colbert
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #1204 on: October 11, 2018, 07:07:27 PM

Totally concur with the Shotwell sentiment. If you haven't do some youtube searches for her speaking engagements. She's an extremely smart and talented person, and has all the social skills Elon lacks. SpaceX truly would not be were it is without her right now.

As for Berger, he is definitely impressed and excited for SpaceX's achievements, but also pretty critical of Musk's excesses. I give him points for separating out the personalities from the achievements, for all the New Space efforts.

And for all that, I really don't care who is first to get the Commercial Crew going, Dragon or Starliner, but apparently I'm kinda alone in that. First back to the ISS is really considered a big deal among the community, but I just want to see more dependable options to get there.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #1205 on: October 13, 2018, 10:51:07 AM

And as for pretty pictures, here's an Astronomy Pick of the Day from that recent Vandenberg launch that had all the pretty upper atmosphere effects from the boosters separating and one returning.

(I think it's okay to hotlink the APoD.)

And one last thought on SpaceX's recent missed award -- I have to give something of a chuckle at their damned if you do, damned if you don't dilemma.

SpaceX gets government funds -- They are totally subsidized by the taxpayer! Scammers!

SpaceX does not get government funds -- They can't even get government money! Failures!
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #1206 on: October 13, 2018, 01:23:00 PM

I'll reply at a later time. Glad at least we have some discussion now :)

Meanwhile:

That's the last time humans laid eye on BepiColombo. Off to Mercury in 6 days...

calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #1207 on: October 13, 2018, 01:29:51 PM

But really have to see it in full to appreciate the size:

As I posted before, those are 3 parts stuck together: Bottom, the mercury transfer module, for getting there. Middle, ESA's contribution. the Mercury Planetary Orbiter, and Top: Jaxa's (Japan) Mercury Magnetospheric Orbiter

Also *cat calling* look at those panels... 14 meters, each.

calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #1208 on: October 13, 2018, 01:49:45 PM

Oh, I forgot:

We are doing the anthropomorphizing-space-probes-with-cute-cartoons thingy again!  Heart

The epic adventures of BepiColombo | Part 1: to the launch pad!

calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #1209 on: October 19, 2018, 07:33:29 PM

Enroute to Mercury!

See you again in 7 years!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 07:53:16 PM by calapine »

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #1210 on: October 20, 2018, 12:25:22 PM

Going to be some really interesting data in seven years.

Every probe we've sent has discovered surprises on every planet visited so far. I wonder what this round will bring?

Huh. Thinking of BepiColombo made me read up on MESSENGER, the previous orbiter that ran till 2015. I had somehow missed/forgotten that it very likely found water!

https://airandspace.si.edu/exhibitions/exploring-the-planets/online/solar-system/mercury/surface.cfm

So much for it being a dry heat!

awesome, for real
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #1211 on: October 20, 2018, 03:51:58 PM

Going to be some really interesting data in seven years.

Every probe we've sent has discovered surprises on every planet visited so far. I wonder what this round will bring?

Huh. Thinking of BepiColombo made me read up on MESSENGER, the previous orbiter that ran till 2015. I had somehow missed/forgotten that it very likely found water!

I fully admit I had no idea how Moon-like Mercury is until a few days ago.  Ohhhhh, I see.
-------

"We got pictures. Oh also there went into safe mode. But the pictures"  Ohhhhh, I see.

(I have no further info so far either...)

Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #1212 on: October 21, 2018, 06:24:42 PM

flat earthers are gonna love that one. I mean, you can see the cotton bale in the left of the picture!

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #1213 on: October 23, 2018, 01:33:21 PM

'BepiColombo: Transfer to Merury'

An in-depth blog post by Michel Khan, an ESA mission analyst (He did the Rosetta mission planning)

It's German-English dual-language, just scroll a bit down:

https://scilogs.spektrum.de/go-for-launch/bepicolombo-der-transfer-zum-merkur/

calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #1214 on: October 26, 2018, 01:39:15 PM

*sproing*

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #1215 on: November 06, 2018, 06:47:04 AM

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1810.11490.pdf

If radiation pressure is the accelerating
force, then 前umuamua represents a new class of thin
interstellar material, either produced naturally,through a yet
unknown process in the ISM or in proto-planetary disks, or of
an artificial origin.
Considering an artificial origin, one possibility is that
前umuamua is a lightsail, floating in interstellar space as a debris
from an advanced technological equipment (Loeb 2018).
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #1216 on: November 06, 2018, 09:07:15 AM

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1810.11490.pdf

If radiation pressure is the accelerating
force, then 前umuamua represents a new class of thin
interstellar material, either produced naturally,through a yet
unknown process in the ISM or in proto-planetary disks, or of
an artificial origin.
Considering an artificial origin, one possibility is that
前umuamua is a lightsail, floating in interstellar space as a debris
from an advanced technological equipment (Loeb 2018).

Hats off the the researchers who managed to get global attention to their otherwise dry paper on radiation pressure affecting an object on a hyperbolic solar orbit by effectively adding in "We're not saying it was aliens, but......"
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1217 on: November 06, 2018, 01:20:06 PM

Man, they have really annoyed a whole bunch of folks who've had to patiently walk reporters through the many other possible explanations for the observed acceleration.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1218 on: November 26, 2018, 11:36:09 AM

Mission Control Live: NASA InSight Mars Landing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGD_YF64Nwk

Landing in 20 minutes!
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1219 on: November 26, 2018, 11:54:58 AM

Touchdown!  Fuck 'ya!
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1220 on: November 26, 2018, 11:55:38 AM

Poor YT live streaming can't handle the traffic.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #1221 on: November 26, 2018, 01:20:51 PM

Darn shame they forgot to take the lens cap off!

Okay really that is a transparent lens cap, but it will ejected once the dust settles down from landing.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1222 on: November 26, 2018, 08:42:02 PM

calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #1223 on: December 17, 2018, 01:25:23 PM

Insight was great. I am sorry for not reporting about that, would have deserved it.  Ohhhhh, I see. Took some time out from space.

If you like rocket launches tomorrow is a good day: 4 launches!

Not yet included in the list is another one: Blue Origin flies the suborbital New Shepard again. Time: 8:30 am CST / 14:30 UTC
Not having links, but a google search of "XY launch live stream" should do it.

Here is tomorrows Soyuz in French Guiana, resting before the big day:

Going to be the 20th flight for Soyuz-in-Kourou. Curious how many more we will see as it's going to be faced out in favour of the fully european Ariane 6 and Vega-C

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1224 on: December 17, 2018, 02:22:26 PM

I always liked the design of the Russian Rockets. That 4 engine thing is very stylish. Space fashion wars are important.

Hic sunt dracones.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 47 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Space Thread  
Jump to: